New "toy" and a question

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

New "toy" and a question

Unread postby leinaud » May 8th, 2010, 12:20 pm

Well just got back from the local buy and sell used store and got me a little treasure so hard to find here but i nabbed it: the Fate/Unlimited Codes PS2 game special box set with Saber Lily. Fortunately, yes I checked, it is not bootleg but the real deal. Sadly she set me back about 6800 yen (around 75 us). Worth it as far as I can tell, this is a very well done Figma. She's gonna go right next to Yoko from Gurren Lagaan. I'll post pics when it's daylight here. As for the question...I have F/UC for my PSP already. Is the PS2 version exactly the same? Or should I invest in a Japanese PS2 to play it? They do have the gold colored Gundam edition PS2 for 14800 yen. Just not sure if I want to invest in that or not. Although I do currently have access to 1000's (yes 1000's) of Japanese PS2 games to try and play. Sadly, no luck on F/RN but i was able to get F/SN visual novel. Oh, and while I'm at it, anyone know if the art book that comes with the Japanese release DVD number 8 of the F/SN anime is a good one or not? They have it for 2400 yen at the same store I picked up Saber Lily from. Thanks for the insights you all may have =)

On another note, if there are any Fate (or other) related memorabilia you guys are looking for, let me know and I can keep an eye out for them when I shop here. (Imma be here in Okinawa till at least Nov of 2011).
-Dan
leinaud
Posting more than n00bs

Re: New "toy" and a question

Unread postby I1nk » May 9th, 2010, 5:43 am

The PSP version is pretty much the same. But the big thing for me was the menu theme music was missing. (I know its little). I don't think you have too get the PS2 version, but I still like the controls for the PS2 version better since I find the PS2 controller better to use then a PSP controller. But since you have to buy a Japanese PS2, I wouldn't recommend it.

You should check out Yahoo Japan auction. They may have it a little cheaper then that. You might find a good deal there. Since you live in Japan, it will cost you even less to shop there.
"Night closed night, other night, night pain, night sink, is night/stay night."
I1nk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Gunbladeuser » May 9th, 2010, 10:54 am

I like the PS2-version more than the PSP-version.
They are very alike, but still have quite some differences.
Gameplaywise, the Holy Grail Supers in the PSP-version are far too broken (doing way more damage than in the PS2-version and thus making it easier to do a instant-kill).
Also, combos are easier in the PSP-version (which again makes it easier to beat your enemy and vice-versa, meaning matches will generally be shorter -> no fun for me).
I think attacks in the PSP-version do more damage in general, but I'm not 100% sure about this one.
Oh, and the specials are much easier to do in the PSP-version than in the PS2-version (but then again, you can use more shortcuts in the PS2-version since its controller has more buttons than the PSP).

So all in all, I'd recommend the PS2-version more (also, since you can play against friends easier than in the PSP-version which needs another PSP etc.).
Gunbladeuser
Addict

Unread postby leinaud » May 10th, 2010, 4:01 am

thanks for the help and here are said promised pics. hmm...i wonder which model has better craftsmanship, lol!

-Dan
leinaud
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby sushimonster » June 26th, 2010, 8:46 am

I've come across a Saber Lily on eBay, the one that sells stand-alone and doesn't come in the PS2 package.

I'm talking about the one made by the 'Good Smile Company' (not ALTER), and I am aware that they used to sell for 9800yen (US$100) before selling out.
The seller on eBay has 5x of these Saber Lilys on sale, and he is situated in Japan. So I am extremely sure that he is selling the real deal. Well, I ordered a fresh Hollow Ataraxia DVD from him and the return address was Japan so...

I was wondering how much Saber Lily is worth today? He is selling it for US$290, which is horrendously overpriced for any collector.
Considering that it 'used' to sell for about US$100, I thought I could start my 'hustling' from US$130 and up, but would like some opinions here before doing so.

...And a note, I did 'hustle' him into selling me both Stay Night (pressie for friend) and Hollow Ataraxia (for meself) for US$170 with free shipping, when he was initially selling both for US$210, so I know negos with this seller are possible...
Last edited by sushimonster on June 27th, 2010, 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image editor for the Fate/hollow ataraxia English Translation Project (mirrormoon is NOT translating)

DJMax Korea Veteran Elite Member (Top 350)
sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread postby leinaud » June 27th, 2010, 3:59 am

honestly, it all depends on supply and demand. I've sen Good Smile Saber Lilys on ebay often at times but they are usually re-listed and not sold. Just gotta hope that there is some out there willing to buy at the requested price. If its the Saber I think o are talking about, I've seen a few at times at the stores I go to selling for around 18600 yen on average and they do disappear.
-Dan
leinaud
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby sushimonster » June 27th, 2010, 4:02 am

I guess I'll be starting my offer at US$120-ish then. No matter what it is, I don't really think a collectable that has been on the market for less than a year could appreciate in value by over $100 smackaroos...

Aite - thanks for your help there ^_^
Image editor for the Fate/hollow ataraxia English Translation Project (mirrormoon is NOT translating)

sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread postby sushimonster » July 14th, 2010, 2:51 am

I too now have a question regarding a figure that I got with a new copy of Realta Nua Extra Edition.
I bought it privately here in New Zealand and the lady who sold it to me gave me this to have as well. I'm pretty sure Realta Nua Extra Editions didn't come with bundled figurines, though I know some first presses were sold with Tohsaka phone cards in some stores (maybe this is from a similar store promotion from back in the days???)

Anyways, it is about the size of a nendoroid, but I ain't sure what the thing looks like since the packaging hasn't been opened. If someone knows and could lead me to a site where I can see the actual thing, that would be appreciated. I know for a fact that it is some sort of Saber (there is a little info paper inside which I can just make out, and the packaging says). I can also feel / recognise a yellow hair 'extrusion', as well as Saber's blue dress uniform (no armour though I think). But overall... What does it look like...?

I don't want to open it to find out I don't like it. If that is the case, I'd be better off selling this to someone who's keen (and save up for a GSC Saber Lily as above...)

EDIT. Upon more research, I came across this on Type-moon's homepage. Apparently it comes with the EXTRA EDITION (can't find anything about a phone card though...) in limited amounts. EXTRA EDITION is limited enough, and this itself is limited to certain EXTRA EDITION copies... And from what I read here, there are 4x interchangable parts, with this only coming with one. The remaining three are found in first-press magazines / comics.

Though the more I 'feel' the packaging, the more it does not resemble a 'cup'. Hmm... I guess I'll keep it around and see how it fares in a sale in a few years time.

sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Return to Fate/stay night Chat