Guide for creating XP3 files?

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Guide for creating XP3 files?

Unread postby Soul Reaver » May 5th, 2010, 12:04 am

Ok, I'd like to create my own xp3 patch file, but I'm not having much luck finding out how. Basically all I want to do is replace some images with ones I've edited - no fancy effects or sound changes or anything like that.

There was a topic about this in 2008 (see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2788&start=0). According to what it says in that topic, it looks like there are no tools that will directly compress images correctly nor create an .xp3 file with the correct encoding... but that topic was posted in 2008, so maybe it's easier now?

So... does anyone know how to make an .xp3 file?
Soul Reaver
Totally hardly posted

Re: Guide for creating XP3 files?

Unread postby sushimonster » May 5th, 2010, 8:41 am

Not too sure if mm is willing to give out xp3 extractors and repackers for the general public, considering reverse engineering FSN is kinda in the grey area as it is...

If Message is around, if there is a tool for REPACKING, then I'm keen to know if there is a free source that is LEGAL somewhere on the net (as is the entire darn team at the Fate/hollow ataraxia Translation team at TLWiki).

Been searching for a while with no avail, though there was this one random fellow who linked us with a so-called repacker; none of us dare run it incase it's a home-made trojan...
Image editor for the Fate/hollow ataraxia English Translation Project (mirrormoon is NOT translating)

DJMax Korea Veteran Elite Member (Top 350)
sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Soul Reaver » May 5th, 2010, 9:15 am

Hah, hello fellow JAFA...

So it's a legal grey area, is it? Seems a bit odd though - it's not like Magos' extractors/editors for Warcraft 3 are in some way illegal, and they let you extract basically any resource from the game... and even edit them.

But yes, if there was such a tool, I'd love to get my hands on it.
Soul Reaver
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby sushimonster » May 5th, 2010, 9:32 am

HA! A small world indeed...

Well, I haven't read the Japanese EULA but I'm pretty sure, like with all software, reverse engineering of any software without the author's full written permission is not allowed etc etc. I'm pretty sure FSN falls into this category.

The problem is that if such a tool was to leak into the public, then you'd have full-size CGs spreading around the net, and if everybody sees them, then considering that the nature of a visual novel is, visual (ie images / CGs), then less people would buy it if they personally thought the game wasn't as 'good' as they originally thought. Much like buying a CD back in the days when they didn't have preview stations; it was a gamble-ish situation - you bought it and either you liked it or you didn't. Regardless of your opinion, you still bought the disc and supported the artist. I guess that's pretty much the same with software today, especially so with visual novels.

Now, if people such as the actual editors / translators in mm gets a tool, then one would expect them to act responsibly and use the tool exclusively. I mean, if such a tool was given to the public, that would hurt the visual novel company head-on and we'd see less of visual novels like FSN.... If my memory serves correct, I think mm actually scripted and compiled their own version of a repacker, which is more reason for them NOT to share their repacker.

Ok - I ain't saying you are going to distro it around the net if you do, but there are some who DEFINITELY will. I myself only wish to use it to repack our groups FHA image edits back into .xp3 so that we won't have to deal with 1000+ files sitting in a folder (which wrecks havoc with virus scanners, defragging etc etc). That plus, we need a xp3 repacker to even release a patch. And alas, we (Fate/hollow ataraxia Translation TLWiki group (yeah, still unnamed)) are asking for a point-in-direction for a FREEWARE, LEGAL repacker.

Well, just looking back at the TLWiki, it SEEMS that a xp3 repacker has been found by the head of the group. If he did, then apologies; I cannot share it for the reasons stated above. If not, the search goes on... I can almost imagine what Message's answer for your and my request is going to be...
Image editor for the Fate/hollow ataraxia English Translation Project (mirrormoon is NOT translating)

DJMax Korea Veteran Elite Member (Top 350)
sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Message » May 5th, 2010, 11:19 am

sushimonster wrote:I can almost imagine what Message's answer for your and my request is going to be...

Please ask in gemot.

Unread postby Soul Reaver » May 5th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Message wrote:
sushimonster wrote:I can almost imagine what Message's answer for your and my request is going to be...

Please ask in gemot.

Registered and posted. Thanks Message.
Soul Reaver
Totally hardly posted

Return to Fate/stay night Chat