Help to add new bgms.

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Help to add new bgms.

Unread postby FDA92 » September 20th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Hi there, new guy here.
I'm trying to add some new bgms to my game (personal use), from the remix albums I own... but, well, I have some problems. I'll make it short:

1) I opened the bgm file.
2) I added the bgms I wanted and edited the .sli files.
3) Repacked.
4) Edited the "@play=bgmXX" in the complete .ks files (both patch 2 & 4) to make 'em start.

This was relatively simple. The bgms work just fine, but... I can't understand why, in some scenes the text "stops", an "information" box with no text in it pops up... and it's impossible to go on, just open the menu.
I'll make a clearer example. I modified the "@play=bgm23" line (bgm 23 is Emiya), during Shirou and Archer swordfight, and repacked every file (along with the new .ks) in a news patch2.xp3/patch4.xp3. However... during Lancer death's scene, exactly at the line "Come back when you're older", the text freezes and that absurd message pops in.
I find it inexplicable.

Sorry for being so vague, I'm not a programmer and my explanation probably isn't that great.
Anyway... I'm using the mirror moon's patch, voiced. Thank you all. :)
FDA92
Totally hardly posted

Re: Help to add new bgms.

Unread postby FDA92 » September 21st, 2009, 12:36 pm

Here, maybe this could be of some help... that's what happens. In this case, the substitute bgm was a "bgm53" in place of "bgm23 (Emiya)". And, a scene or two before that...

FDA92
Totally hardly posted

Re: Help to add new bgms (Resolved!)

Unread postby FDA92 » September 22nd, 2009, 12:41 pm

I found out. For anyone who is having the same problem, you MUST avoid using .rar, archives or that kind of stuff before repacking. It messes up some file names, and after, when you repack, the game can't find them, thus the crash.
Anyway, I'd like to bring up a more legal issue. Let's say I'd like to make a public patch of my work. What should I do to make it legal, if needed? I was thinking of two ways:

1) Installer that finds the albums fist, and then it installs the patch.
2) Warning like "You need to have the original albums for this to be legal. The author doesn't take any legal responsability for an improper use", before the installation. After all, there are loads of sites with these .mp3 files (I think they imply the same warning before make a song downloadable), same for sites who make roms available to the public.

Or...? Could it even be legal by itself?
I explain: I think to concept could be like Youtube, you cannot obtain the audio file per se, the only thing you can do is listen in the game. Plus, the patch is for free, and, of course, there would be the credits to the original authors... so, perhaps....

Don't take me wrong... I'm not a lawyer or something, and if it's illegal I won't make it accessible, but I'd like to know what should I do.
FDA92
Totally hardly posted

Re: Help to add new bgms (Resolved!)

Unread postby Message » September 23rd, 2009, 7:21 am

FDA92 wrote:I was thinking of two ways:

1) Installer that finds the albums fist, and then it installs the patch.
2) Warning like "You need to have the original albums for this to be legal. The author doesn't take any legal responsability for an improper use", before the installation. After all, there are loads of sites with these .mp3 files (I think they imply the same warning before make a song downloadable), same for sites who make roms available to the public.

It would only be legal if you do not include the music itself in your patch. You must find a way to rip music from an actual music CD during installation.

Unread postby FDA92 » September 23rd, 2009, 1:52 pm

So it would be needed an installer which:

1) Finds the files from a CD/ Desktop.
2) Converts the files in an .ogg format.
3) Opens the bgm.xp3.
4) Adds the new oggs and then repacks bgm.xp3.

And I guess I can put in the .ks and ogg.sli files by myself, so the patch files would be just edited versions of the canonical patch2 and patch4.

If I may ask, do you guys know some tools which could help me a bit to do the trick? A good installer tool, maybe?
FDA92
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby FDA92 » September 24th, 2009, 12:02 pm

Hmmm... I think I've made up my mind. I'll just make a guide to how extract and repack the bgm from the Fate file, then I'll include in a .rar archive the modified patch2 & patch4 with the indications to how to play the bgms.

So, the user will be the one with all the copyrighted files, and he will only have to extract, add (HIS files of course), rename, convert and repack... while I'll provide the configurations.

A little half-ass maybe, but perfectly legal, isn't it?
FDA92
Totally hardly posted

Return to Fate/stay night Chat