Fate/Stay Night Movie [Spoilers]

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Re: Fate/Stay Night Movie [Spoilers]

Unread postby sushimonster » August 2nd, 2010, 1:42 pm

...I just had a momentary lapse of insanity and preordered the limited first press blu-ray edition of the movie for 6560yen, using 3400yen worth of discounts in the process courtesy of CDJapan.
And here's me being forced to invest on a blu-ray mod on my lappie prematurely...

...Unpacking shots to follow IF I do manage to dish up US$300 for a BD writer...
Image editor for the Fate/hollow ataraxia English Translation Project (mirrormoon is NOT translating)

DJMax Korea Veteran Elite Member (Top 350)
sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread postby JLA » September 30th, 2010, 10:47 pm

All Right! I Just got my ULB limited edition blue ray disc in the mail! If only I had a blu ray player ;_;
JLA
Addict

Unread postby sushimonster » September 30th, 2010, 10:57 pm

JLA wrote:All Right! I Just got my ULB limited edition blue ray disc in the mail! If only I had a blu ray player ;_;

Mate. I dished up US$170 for a blu-ray writer; got it this week, took my laptop apart and stuck that inside, only to find out the drive faulty.
It's gonna take a week to send back, and another week to get another new replacement.

...all the while my F/sn movie (the limited edition~~) is sitting here right in front of me...
Image editor for the Fate/hollow ataraxia English Translation Project (mirrormoon is NOT translating)

sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread postby JLA » October 1st, 2010, 1:13 am

sushimonster wrote:Mate. I dished up US$170 for a blu-ray writer; got it this week, took my laptop apart and stuck that inside, only to find out the drive faulty.
It's gonna take a week to send back, and another week to get another new replacement.

...all the while my F/sn movie (the limited edition~~) is sitting here right in front of me...

I know the feeling. It's torture isn't it?
JLA
Addict

Unread postby fayzai » October 1st, 2010, 1:34 am

I have the movie; I have the means to play it; I also have...EXAMS!!! :cry: So I'm in the same situation as you guys..BUT WORSE! My sense of responsibility will be the end of me! D=
fayzai
Might just like this board

Unread postby sushimonster » October 2nd, 2010, 11:54 am

So a mate of mine got his copy through the mail this morning, and he having a blu-ray ready lappie, I asked if I could watch while he was elsewhere.

Hmm...
This will be a spoiler of sorts so here goes the spoiler tag...

The movie is not as I have expected. Granted, its an hour and 45 minutes long. I guess I was expecting a lot from that duration, but with the movie as it is, it would have been nice to see it hit and go over the 2 hour length. The movie adheres to the Realta Nua story line faithfully though, so thats good. This is more-or-less for those who haven't played F/sn or its non-eroge alternative.

The storyline progressed through rapidly. As REIN said in his in-theatre review a few pages before, the whole (visual novel) prologue explanation is done QUICKLY-ASS, in 6 minutes 30 seconds. From there on it's the visual novel's key action scenes, on and linked together in the closest manner allowable. There are no comic relief points in-between (was looking forward to the Rin-Shirou dating part, which is sadly NOT there...).

That all said, the battles are, as REIN mentioned earlier again, variable in epicness. Saber fighting Berserker near the start was (personally) done well, quite memorable. Which brings me to the seiyu. EXCELLENT. That's one of the things I can give this movie credit for. Kawasumi and Ueda-san did a SUPERB job with the voice acting.

Anime quality. As REIN said again, spot-on. Looks nice as a 1080p movie, and considering my VAIO has a premium matt screen which many of my peers (including myself) drool over, I look forward to getting my replacement blu-ray drive and watching my own copy on my own machine...

...yeah... I think that's all there is to it. Revealing / spoiling more would be outright sadness to fayzai and JLC, and anyone else in similar circumstances...

sushimonster
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Nintendo Maniac 64 » October 2nd, 2010, 6:42 pm

Awwww CRAP!

I COMPLETELY missed and forgot about keeping tabs on the release date! (was paying too much attention to the 3DS announcements on the 29th).

Well, it's not like they'll disappear overnight, but that 100-page artbook was VERY tempting...
Nintendo Maniac 64
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Watashimo » October 3rd, 2010, 8:10 am

The movie is subbed and online by Unlimited Translation Works
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby wyldfire » October 3rd, 2010, 9:21 am

^best not mention it here,mate...'cuz message is kinda really strict about the warez rule...
wyldfire
Addict

Unread postby M159852 » October 3rd, 2010, 11:12 am

Mhh I'm still wondering if gg-takajun is subbing UBW like they did with Kara no Kyoukai
M159852
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » October 3rd, 2010, 12:21 pm

Warez talk ends here.

Unread postby Watashimo » October 3rd, 2010, 7:54 pm

My deepest apologies, didn't even think about it.

Well, here's my opinion on the movie.

I really enjoyed the movie. The animation was top-notch - it was so beautifully done! Its unfortunate that the movie was so short. Adding even 20 minutes onto it would have really fleshed it out. The only fights that I felt were long enough were Saber vs Berserker and Shirou vs Archer. Some important things were missing though imo. Some important backstory for Archer was missing, like his time as a Guardian. It kind of made his reasoning less effective. Also, Ilya didn't get her last scene where she cries out to Berserker while blind. Another thing, Caster was unharmed when Caladbolg was used (iirc, she was pretty beat up in the game). The same is true for Archer vs Lancer. They kind of made Gae Bolg seem weaker by Archer being unharmed after it hitting Rho Aius.

The important dialogue was there for the most part though. Shirou's famous words when facing Gilgamesh were there word for word. Also, a good majority of the other important lines were preserved as well. Without trying to spoil much more I will end my review.

It was a very good movie, but needed more length. 1 hour and 40 minutes can't encompass the awesomeness that is UBW. Definitely worth watching and buying though!
Edit: Another thing. Shirou saying the chant in English is wrong, lol. I can understand skipping most of Archer's chant since we've seen it. But they should have done Shirou's full chant.
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby fayzai » October 4th, 2010, 5:28 am

I finally got to watch it! It was amazing!! Now where's the Heavens Feel movie? =P

Something I laughed about:
So, after I had reached up to the H scene between Rin and Shirou, I was actually wondering how they would actually play this out! Would they do a big dragon-like thing like they did in the anime for the fate route? Would it be implied that they...? Or what? So I watched and when I saw Shirou in boxers and Rin in under garments, I was thinking..WHAT?! Apparently, what they did is follow the Realta Nua scenario for that? I've only read the VN so I have no idea how that part was done in Realta Nua (can anyone confirm? O.o). Anyway, I thought it was totally hilarious how they used that similar CG of Rin hugging her knees except in the VN, she was complaining about how rough Shirou was, yet in the movie, it was that he saw her childhood memories. Another Realta Nua thing? Regardless, funny XD

All in all, the battles were awesome! I love how graphic the battles were plus the blood and everything. One thing I didn't like was that at the end, when Shirou is supposed to recite his version of UBW, they just skipped kinda skipped it and he just made a pretty little speech and said Unlimited Blade Works! I was looking forward to hearing him say his version again, but it was cut short =( Oh well, other than that, the movie was awesome!!
fayzai

Unread postby Kenzu » October 5th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Finally watched the movie. Yep, it was good. Some things were nicely done. It was fun to see the characters using their Fate Unlimited Codes moves.
Too bad they messed up some scenes that could have really been done like they should or at least better than they are.
f.e.
-getting out of UBW in the church,
-Shirou's stab at Archer,
-Shirou's incantation,
-Shirou's tracing inside his UBW - what's the bloody point? They're THERE just PICK THEM UP.
-Gilgamesh waiting for Shirou to make his move inside UBW, then suddenly resigning from using Gate of Babylon and switching to swordfighting ONLY

To me the movie was to show the fights from the VN animated and it did it's job OK.
Also it's pretty impressive that they managed to suff the whole scenario into a 100 minute movie.
Kenzu
Addict

Unread postby solopy567 » October 5th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Kenzu wrote:Finally watched the movie. Yep, it was good. Some things were nicely done. It was fun to see the characters using their Fate Unlimited Codes moves.
Too bad they messed up some scenes that could have really been done like they should or at least better than they are.
f.e.
-getting out of UBW in the church,
-Shirou's stab at Archer,
-Shirou's incantation,
-Shirou's tracing inside his UBW - what's the bloody point? They're THERE just PICK THEM UP.
-Gilgamesh waiting for Shirou to make his move inside UBW, then suddenly resigning from using Gate of Babylon and switching to swordfighting ONLY

To me the movie was to show the fights from the VN animated and it did it's job OK.
Also it's pretty impressive that they managed to suff the whole scenario into a 100 minute movie.

Yeah those are some of the things I noticed too. They also cut out the chase through the school which I thought was pretty important.
The rest I can say was awesome. Shirou's UBW wasn't handled as well as I expected but was still epic and put me on the edge of my seat.
"Sion Eltnam is no more.
All there is left is a dead apostle who has inherited the name of TATARI.
Now.....Let's begin the Bloody Second Act." - Sion TATARI
solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Mirri » October 7th, 2010, 2:47 pm

What'd other people who got the Limited Edition get for their film strips? I got
Rin holding her hand open/at the wrist aiming at Shinji in Ilya's castle & Rin looking concerned after Gilgamesh and Shinji left Ilya's castle

I was extremely surprised at the quality of the package that the limited edition came in, most of the discs I've imported have been in flimsy cardboard boxes but this is some heavy stuff that won't peel or anything. The matte outside and glossy inside was a nice touch as well. If anyone's interested I guess I can see if I can get my hands on a nicer digital camera than I own to take some pictures of the stuff. The artbooks are a little bit small but they're pretty nice. Blu-Ray's case is red, instead of the standard blue, sorta like how K-On!s' are pink. I got the first press version and it came with a nice, relatively large poster with the promotional image of Rin standing in front of archer, and on the reverse side the limited edition's artbox art. Again, can take pictures if people want, just let me know :)
Mirri
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby wyldfire » October 7th, 2010, 5:20 pm

^yes,please do show us,the unfortunate ones,the awesomeness that is 'UBW limited edition'...looking forward to some great pics...
wyldfire
Addict

Unread postby Mirri » October 7th, 2010, 6:25 pm

unfortunately, autofocus sucks, so a lot of these pictures are a little blurry... and i'm too lazy to adjust the iso for each individual picture. I'll upload them all to imageshack another time... there's like 40 images or something. for now i'll upload a high res (probably not worth it) and an acceptable res rar to mediafire.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cdzmky6gqq84dnk large (85mb)
http://www.mediafire.com/?px6768432ld6sn4 small (3mb)

I'm sure you guys will be picking the lower one since they're not really high quality pictures to begin with, hah.

edit: rars contain spoilers! (one of the artbooks contains production sketches)
Mirri
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby fayzai » October 7th, 2010, 8:59 pm

^ O.O The artbook is awesome XD It has some amazing pictures that I could just stare at all day =P
fayzai

Unread postby Mirri » October 7th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Must note that the artbook with the production sketches looks to be a bit over 100 pages - I couldn't possibly photograph all of them so I just tried to do one of major characters and memorable scenes.
Mirri
Into 17 Pieces

PreviousNext

Return to Fate/stay night Chat