What would you want in a sequel? Spoilers!

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

What would you want in a sequel? Spoilers!

Unread postby smartazjb0y » July 24th, 2009, 3:53 am

What would you want in a full-fledged sequel to FSN? Ignoring FHA, since that seems to be thought of as a fan disk sequel.

Would you want the same characters, or totally new ones? Do you want it to follow a specific route from the first game, or all routes?

Personally, I want a sequel that uses mostly the same character, with Shirou as the main character, or maybe a new one, depending on how they do it. I'd also want it to include 3 routes that are continuations of the original 3. The way I thought it would work is the first few days are common to all, kind of like days 1-3 are the same for all routes. Then it branches out so that the 3 separate routes are continuing off of the true ends of original 3 routes. Thoughts?
Last edited by smartazjb0y on July 26th, 2009, 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
smartazjb0y
Might just like this board

Re: What would you want in a sequel?

Unread postby Dark_Habit » July 24th, 2009, 3:59 am

First of all, I'd prefer if there is much more hardcore action, like Battle Royales withe 3 to 4 Servants in between, but only if it does not deviate too much from the story line.But most of all I want to see Archer and Shirou fight side-by-side, and maybe it would be cool if Gilgamesh were to be included as one of the good guys.
Life is but a River.
A continuous flow,relentless till it reaches its destination.
Rocks,rapids,falls hinder not the flow of the strong.
It has its ups,and its downs.
And in the end,peacefully.......
It dissipates into to vast Ocean.
Dark_Habit
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Keeper of Gil's Vault » July 24th, 2009, 6:10 am

I think Fate/Strange Fake would make quite a competent sequel of Fate/Stay Night. The masters are very interesting, and the servants are very, very unique (a sane Berserker, a Rider that is literally the materialization of a concept). All we need is Nasu actually writing it or making it canon, since at this stage it is merely a starting booklet of a roleplay game. O, and Dark_Habit, Fate/Strange Fake actually has Gilgamesh.
Are we Beast's Lair Lite? Are we?!
Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Dark_Habit » July 24th, 2009, 6:23 am

Keeper Of Gil's Vault wrote: I think Fate/Strange Fake would make quite a competent sequel of Fate/Stay Night. The masters are very interesting, and the servants are very, very unique (a sane Berserker, a Rider that is literally the materialization of a concept). All we need is Nasu actually writing it or making it canon, since at this stage it is merely a starting booklet of a roleplay game. O, and Dark_Habit, Fate/Strange Fake actually has Gilgamesh.

Well I thought we were discussing about an original sequel....but I should check this out.
Life is but a River.
Dark_Habit
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » July 24th, 2009, 11:41 am

Presonally I still have to lean towards them doing Fate/Zero so things could be explained a bit better. Although if that's not going to fly I'd say a toss-up between Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, since it has Karen in it. Or Fate/Strage Fake, since it sounded like a good fanfic that could find its way into the Nasuverse.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby smartazjb0y » July 24th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Fate/Strange Fake? Sounds interesting.

The thing about a sequel is that if Nasu decides to choose one specific route, fans are going to be angry. That's why I think a direct sequel will be hard. Most routes, if you use true ends, won't have Saber, and that will definitely anger fans. I guess what they could do is make it a sequel to UBW's Good End and incorporate some HF events. Like maybe most of HF could happen after UBW's Good End or something. Either way, it will be hard to incorporate Saber and possibly Ilya. Also, at the end of the routes, Shirou kind of states that he loves someone, so incorporating new love interests will be hard.
smartazjb0y

Unread postby Thanatos » July 24th, 2009, 5:17 pm

About Fate/Strange Fake, I've made a topic about it long ago, without many answers xD so if you looking for some info look here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3118

For the sequel, i think its only possible with new chars, but I still wanna see Saber again and all the others xD but Shirou meets Saber only in the afterlife(Last Episode F/SN RN), so not possible to make anything about 2 of them, other routes has other chars dead so almost same for them...
And the grail is destroyed too... so they can only make it, like in Strange Fake with fake grail, or some magi make new grail ritual, maybe with more than 7 masters :o that could be interesting^^
Thanatos
Addict

Unread postby smartazjb0y » July 24th, 2009, 5:30 pm

Yeah, the easiest way to make a sequel would be new characters. But I still love the originals. Maybe the only hope for old characters would be more fan disk sequels like HA.
smartazjb0y

Unread postby SolarAdept » July 25th, 2009, 5:14 pm

I'd rather have a similar VN about magi in general. Perhaps more Clocktower/Magi Association?

...OR, it could explore the unknown Japanese theories, like houjutsu and onmyoudo.

This way us RPers could have more fun with the so-far unexplored mageries.
Fate/World Providence - A site dedicated to it's Grail War RP.
SolarAdept
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Uberoy » July 25th, 2009, 8:52 pm

I wouldn' want Shirou as a main character again. He's pretty much fully developed with 3 routes. I would like to see the manly 30-ish guy with a trenchcoat and Shotgun summoning an equally badass servant roaming around kicking some Magic Association ass.
But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby SolarAdept » July 25th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Go read F/Z.
SolarAdept
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Dark_Habit » July 25th, 2009, 9:38 pm

Uberoy wrote:I wouldn' want Shirou as a main character again. He's pretty much fully developed with 3 routes. I would like to see the manly 30-ish guy with a trenchcoat and Shotgun summoning an equally badass servant roaming around kicking some Magic Association ass.

I agree with Solar, you just described Fate/ Zero.
(Coincidence? I [don't] think so........)
Life is but a River.
Dark_Habit
Crack Desu!

Unread postby smartazjb0y » July 26th, 2009, 1:02 am

Oh and another thing. Does anyone else not like how the routes are divided by heroines and storyline? I'd prefer if it was divided just by story, and you could choose heroines. i thought of this because I would have like HF better if Shiro got with Rin, especially after seeing the True End. Still, it'd be hard to have Shiro get with Saber or RIn when the story is based on Sakura, but meh.
smartazjb0y

Unread postby Keeper of Gil's Vault » July 26th, 2009, 1:04 am

Well, it is hard to justify a sequel, because
all the main antagonists died and the Grail was dismantled or destroyed in all three routes. More prequels will probably be more reasonable. It will be funny to see the fearsome Fate/Stay Night villain Angra Mainyu lasting less than a week in the Third war.

And yo upstairs, use spoiler tags.
Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Unread postby smartazjb0y » July 26th, 2009, 1:18 am

Well, it's only which heroine the route is based on, not really something unknown. Besides, I'd have thought that people would finish the game before discussing sequels, but whatever.

And the glory of sequels is that they have to be creative and get new villains and plots. Seeing how far HF strayed from UBW and Fate, I'm willing to think they can whip something new up with the old characters.
smartazjb0y

Re: What would you want in a sequel? Spoilers!

Unread postby Thanatos » July 26th, 2009, 8:04 pm

btw saber didnt become a servant(heroic spirit) in the end, so we cant see her in any sequel as servant... what would be possible is how shirou become a hero then dies and meets saber, just like in realta nua but with more story behind it^^

ps: spoiler tags are not needed, coz the heading of this topic say there are spoilers
oh it seems it was added recently =X but still no spoiler tags needed anymore^^
Thanatos
Addict

Unread postby SolarAdept » July 26th, 2009, 9:21 pm

Actually, Arturia's still a Heroic Spirit. I mean, come on, King Arthur! Heroic Spirits(records of great heroes who won fame WITH THEIR OWN POWER) and Counter Guardians(Like EMIYA, who was ordinary, but relied on Alaya to get to the level of a Heroic Spirit) are different things.

Now, if she were to take the Grail she would become a CG.
SolarAdept
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Oolinthu » July 27th, 2009, 12:14 am

I've always imagined a Fate/Stay Night sequel to be a continuation of a particular route, with the existing cast of characters along with some new faces. This does, of course, entail the central problem with writing sequels to a work consisting of discrete, parallel narratives or "story arcs" - either you pick a canon ending, or you just end up with some nebulous, non-canon "dream sequence"-type thing that's more fan service than an actual narrative, a la Kagetsu Tohya and Fate Hollow Ataraxia.

Regardless, assuming that what I've heard is reliable, and the Heavens Feel True Ending is, in fact, the true ending:
Center the story once again on Fuyuki, around Shirou's life and Sakura's newfound duties as Magus Protector (or whatever the official name for Rin's position was) of the city. Suppose a heretofore unheard of magus is on the loose, sucking people dry of mana and killing them, turning them into zombies, or doing something sufficiently evil. Sakura, Shirou, and Rider begin patrolling the streets at night to stop him. When they eventually do encounter him/her, they expect it to be an easy fight. In addition to Sakura and Shirou's abilities, they have what should be the only Servant left in the world - one with high magic resistance at that.

But *gasp* - it turns out she's not the only one left! Somehow, our enemy Magus has done what should be impossible given the destruction of the Grail, and apparently summoned and formed a contract with a Servant. Perhaps the Servant is stronger than Rider. Or perhaps it's weaker, a hero that would ordinarily fall before a full-strength Medusa. Our new magus, however, makes up for the difference somehow - perhaps he/she has some trick up the sleeve, wields some unorthodox magic thus far unexplored in Nasuverse e.g. voodoo or onmyoudo, or simply has a group of henchmen armed with semiautomatics. Perhaps a combination of all three. In any case, it seems our cunning new villain has been expecting our three protagonists, who are quickly overwhelmed and forced into a hasty retreat, barely escaping with their lives - but not before the enemy magus has a chance to taunt them.

For some reason, this sinister magus knows what went down in Heavens Feel. He/she knows that Sakura once had a contract with Angra Mainyu and under its influence murdered hundreds of people. He/she knows that Shirou, deciding to protect the one he loved above all else, allowed these people to die, when he could have prevented it. He/she decides to pull a "not so different" speech, along the lines of "what right do you, you who sacrificed others for your own happiness, have to judge me?" he/she says. Depending on the personality of the villain, he/she may attempt to "twist the knife", aggravate old wounds, pick at their insecurities, etc. Shirou and Sakura along with Rider are forced to flee, injured and demoralized. While they recover, our new villain is free to do as he/she pleases, and the story goes from there. Other new characters show up, existing characters return, meanwhile our three "heroes" must figure out what the villain's plans are, why he/she's killing/hurting people, how he/she managed to summon a Servant, and most importantly, how to stop them, all while battling their own inner demons, or something like that.
Oolinthu
Addict

Unread postby smartazjb0y » July 27th, 2009, 12:37 am

Yeah, that's one of the options. Well thought out about the story, and it seems interesting.

However, as I explained above, the problem with that is only one ending becomes canon. Fans WILL get angry, especially the Saberphiles. Also, IIRC, Sakura wasn't the most popular heroine in one of their polls, so this might not be the best option. One of the ideas I had was to still keep the separate arcs, with each of the routes in the sequel as a continuation from the originals. For example, your idea would be the route that is the sequel to HF, while the other two are sequels to Fate and UBW. Of course, there would be almost no common ground between them, so they can't do branching paths, but more of three totally separate paths. Also, it seems that it would be a lot harder to make totally new storylines, especially three of them.

Also, a question about Servants: can they only come about from the heroes in question, or the people's thoughts about that hero? For the most obvious example, can there be a King Arthur Servant that is actually male, stemming from the people's ideas of King Arthur and not the actual King Arturia? Kind of a question for a fan fic.
smartazjb0y

Unread postby Keeper of Gil's Vault » July 27th, 2009, 1:17 am

The answer to your question is "not certain". Servants are sometimes influenced by legend, while other times they are completely immune from legend. Take Iskander for example, he was ranked in the trait "divinity" solely based on the legend that he was the son of Zeus. On the other hand, there are quite a few examples of servants being summoned as "who they really are". For instance, Artura being summoned as female, the farmer being summoned as the placeholder for Kojiro, and the weakling boy being summoned as the placeholder for Angura Mainyu. I shouldn't really use the term placeholder, because the weakling boy IS indeed the source of the legend for Angura Mainyu; he essentially IS Angura Mainyu. If the servant system works according to the legend, then the Einzberns would have summoned some world-razing demon. The system is kind of confusing and I can't really find a yes/no answer.
Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to Fate/stay night Chat