Why do you think Archer is GAR?

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Sepheriel » February 6th, 2009, 5:10 pm

Let's not try and violate the new forums rule with this topic. Archer is pretty cool but Lancer has a better attitude. I think the only things that make Archer GAR are UBW and his tracing ability.
EKUSU---------KALIBAAAAAAAA!!

nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread post by nobaka » February 6th, 2009, 11:44 pm

While I do acknowledge Archer's GAR properties, he's just a LITTLE too much of an asshole to really get me to like him. Lancer, however, grew on me much faster. I would have loved more exposition on him, and I'm really interested in his stories in F/HA, since I can't read moonspeak.

allanh
Crack Addic!

Unread post by allanh » February 7th, 2009, 12:06 am

this may be a dumb question, but what does the acronym , GAR, stand for?
http://Miyazaki.com - my Hayao Miyazaki fan site
http://CityHunter.com- my City Hunter fan site
Saber-chan, come back to me~~~~~

Shourai
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Shourai » February 7th, 2009, 12:10 am

allanh wrote:this may be a dumb question, but what does the acronym , GAR, stand for?
It's not an acronym. GAR is a measure of someone's manliness, to the point that all heterosexual men will declare their undying love for him.

It originated from 4chan(I think), when someone typoed GAY for Archer into GAR for Archer in a poster.

allanh
Crack Addic!

Unread post by allanh » February 7th, 2009, 12:14 am

Shourai wrote:
allanh wrote:this may be a dumb question, but what does the acronym , GAR, stand for?
It's not an acronym. GAR is a measure of someone's manliness, to the point that all heterosexual men will declare their undying love for him.

It originated from 4chan(I think), when someone typoed GAY for Archer into GAR for Archer in a poster.

ah, thanks for clearing that up.

I guess no matter how manly Archer is, I will never turn into a GAR lol.
http://Miyazaki.com - my Hayao Miyazaki fan site
http://CityHunter.com- my City Hunter fan site
Saber-chan, come back to me~~~~~

Xanathos
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Xanathos » February 7th, 2009, 3:39 am

Archer is gar because of the life he lived. He continued to sacrifice his own happiness for the sake of others. He never once considered himself. He continued to save as many people as possible. He went so far as to sell his soul in order to save others. In the end he died for his ideals. And yet he only began to regret his decisions after he died and became a counter guardian.

Not only that but his younger self, even after acknowledging that this would be his end, still decided to walk on a similar path.

That's epic.

G.forge
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by G.forge » February 7th, 2009, 4:53 am

It's a shame some people don't see it that way.

And woe unto those who watch the anime first.

Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Rikh » February 7th, 2009, 6:42 am

Darkbalmunk wrote:Doesnt he know what is going to happen so he can praticly predict everything thats going to happen. to me he seemed to know what everyone was going to do exception being him since shirou keeps surprising archer every passing moment.
he probably forced shiro into more pinned situations than he was during his involvement in the war, which might have shocked him to see him fight back

or it just might be shocking for him to notice once again how strong he was as a kid during hopeless situations being fueled on ideal alone. I think his shock is just partial enlightenment bits that he sees and is impressed with himself

TSirDiesalot
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by TSirDiesalot » February 9th, 2009, 10:43 am

Because he has over thousand swords. I mean come on, what say's you're not cool if you have over thousand swords.

Shourai
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Shourai » February 9th, 2009, 3:05 pm

TSirDiesalot wrote:Because he has over thousand swords. I mean come on, what say's you're not cool if you have over thousand swords.
Gil also has nearly the same number as Archer's. ( +1 -X)

Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » February 9th, 2009, 4:00 pm

Well for Gil he has the same abilities of being GAr, but he loses that for sometimes acting like a pompus windbag in the end. So his "I'm better then you," aditude tends to getin the way of him actually being GAR.
► Show Spoiler
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.

Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Rikh » February 9th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Also gilgamesh displays no penalty for his strength. Archers UBW and tracing/etc causes him pain and harms his body each time.
A hero who "Withstands pain to create many weapons" is indeed pretty gar.

Gilgamesh cannot be GAR since he is talented at everything and exhibits little energy in anything...

Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Keeper of Gil's Vault » February 9th, 2009, 7:37 pm

Why is Archer so GAR?
He is essentially the embodiment of the concept that a human being can gain powers rivaling gods and demons through pure effort.
Among the servants, he is the one that is closest to a human being. A nameless hero with no legends written after him nor monuments built to honour him. Yet he confronted heroes from the age of gods without flinching.
On top of it all, a lone swordsman with the power to corrode the world and rewrite reality? Poetic.
All was forgiven about his behaviour after reading Answer at the end of UBW.

However, I think GAR for Archer mostly came from Episode 14 of the anime. I was really disappointed that Archer used UBW in the VN just to toy with Rin and Shirou. Although not canon, I still have a soft spot for the Archer vs Berserker fight in the anime.

Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Raven » February 9th, 2009, 11:38 pm

How can he be so Gar when he wants to deny his past?

NonExistence
Crack Addic!
Location: The Strong and Free Giant Block of Ice in the True North

Unread post by NonExistence » February 10th, 2009, 4:11 am

to explain archer's mentality and why it's gar would require days on end, so i won't bother with it right now and just give it to you as simply as i can:

IN GENERAL, the more mindf***ed a character is, the more gar they are. that's why lelouch was gar. that's why light was gar. that's why shiki, with his multiple identity crises, is even more gar than GARcher. but that's another story for another time.
Whenever I go on, everyone leaves the Tsukihime forums. 'Cause I just fail like that.

Echoman
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by Echoman » February 10th, 2009, 4:59 am

G.forge wrote:It's a shame some people don't see it that way.

And woe unto those who watch the anime first.
I watched the anime first. :oops:
Rikh wrote:Also gilgamesh displays no penalty for his strength. Archers UBW and tracing/etc causes him pain and harms his body each time.
A hero who "Withstands pain to create many weapons" is indeed pretty gar.

Gilgamesh cannot be GAR since he is talented at everything and exhibits little energy in anything...
Does it harm his body each time? I know it does when Shirou does it, but Archer never seemed to have as much of a problem with it. I mean yeah, eventually he'd reach his limit, and it would, but I got the impression that he'd pretty much mastered the technique, so it's not really very difficult for him, even when doing more difficult projections, or UBW.

Not that he didn't withstand pain early on, Rin says a few times that Shirou could easily have died many times over during his early practicing to get to that point.

Kid-Wolf

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » February 10th, 2009, 5:21 am

It's probably because since GARcher lived though te pain all this time it started not to hurt. I mean once your good at it it's not as painful as it was in the beginning of trainging to pull things off like that.

In any case I would have to say that if Tohno Shiki is GAR then I think the definition of GAR has changed, unless you meant Nanaya Shiki that that's kind of a different story. I mean since the Tohno Gland tends to block out the GARness that Tohno Shiki would have.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.

NonExistence
Crack Addic!
Location: The Strong and Free Giant Block of Ice in the True North

Unread post by NonExistence » February 10th, 2009, 5:31 am

right. NANAYA shiki. there we go.

but doesn't the Tohno Gland only block out shiki's GARness because it's exuding so much GAR by itself? or did i derail somewhere?
Whenever I go on, everyone leaves the Tsukihime forums. 'Cause I just fail like that.

Kid-Wolf

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » February 10th, 2009, 8:06 am

I thin it might be becuase the Tohno Gland causes a harem effect the GAR is negated due to the fact that guys are usally envious towards those that have a harem.

As for Nanaya Shiki well he doesn't care about the Tohno Gland at all since he is on the level of a professional assassin. So I tink when Tohno Shiki is in Nanaya mode his GARness actually does trump his Tohno Gland. Although while he is in his normal self his Tohno Gland suprseeses his Nanaya GAR Levels. At least I that's what I think.

In any case to try and sum it up:

Tohno Shiki as himself the Tohno Gland > GAR

Tohno Shiki in Nanaya mode > Tohno Gland.

Please correct me if this doesn't look right.
► Show Spoiler

TSirDiesalot
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by TSirDiesalot » February 10th, 2009, 9:26 am

Shourai wrote:
TSirDiesalot wrote:Because he has over thousand swords. I mean come on, what say's you're not cool if you have over thousand swords.
Gil also has nearly the same number as Archer's. ( +1 -X)
Well actually has an unlimited supply of swords, but what I really meant to say was that....