Spirits

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Spirits

Unread postby Xanathos » January 30th, 2009, 5:41 am

I need a good clear cut difference between counter guardians and heroic spirits.

I read that heroic spirits watch over humanity and help out after their death. But how is that any different counter guardians? And are counter guardians connected to throne of heroes? Last question: when summoned to help the world, which is generally stronger? (not grail war)
Xanathos
Crack Addic!

Re: Spirits

Unread postby Shourai » January 30th, 2009, 5:51 am

Xanathos wrote:I need a good clear cut difference between counter guardians and heroic spirits.

I read that heroic spirits watch over humanity and help out after their death. But how is that any different counter guardians? And are counter guardians connected to throne of heroes? Last question: when summoned to help the world, which is generally stronger? (not grail war)

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Heroic_Spirit
Heroic Spirit

An elemental spirit of humanity that is considered a natural phenomenon in itself, Heroic Spirits (英霊 eirei) are beings that accomplished great achievements such as saving the world and, after their death, became the object of worship and lore.

Counter Guardian

カウンターガーディアン

Also called the Protectors of Balance (抑止の守護者 yokushi no shugosha) or the Beast of Alaya, a special category found within the group of existences known as Heroic Spirits. If a regular Heroic Spirit is someone who became a hero by his own power and is admired for that, then a Guardian is an unknown person who has achieved a great feat due to the assistance of an outside force. They are the ones who have made a pact with the World (in this case Alaya, AKA Arayashiki) and offers his services as a Heroic Spirit after death in exchange for a miracle during his lifetime.

Those who became heroes by their own power are beyond the reach of Alaya, for they are pseudo-deities whose existence is closer to the level of a planet. Therefore, the Counter Force is limited to only Heroic Spirits who made use of its powers during their lifetime.

It has been hinted that only Counter Guardians can be summoned to a time period before they became Heroic Spirits.

Ultimately, Counter Guardians are more restricted,generally weaker, yet have more "freedom" to be summoned than normal Heroic Spirit.
Shourai
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » January 30th, 2009, 5:56 am

Shourai wrote:
Those who became heroes by their own power are beyond the reach of Alaya, for they are pseudo-deities whose existence is closer to the level of a planet. Therefore, the Counter Force is limited to only Heroic Spirits who made use of its powers during their lifetime.

It has been hinted that only Counter Guardians can be summoned to a time period before they became Heroic Spirits.

Ultimately, Counter Guardians are more restricted,generally weaker, yet have more "freedom" to be summoned than normal Heroic Spirit.

So then
that could expalin why GARcher was summoned before Shirou became an hero. It would also explain why Shirou could pull off such a feat as well to become a Conter Guardian since it was more or less a miracle that he managed to survive the Grail War I guess.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Keeper of Gil's Vault » January 30th, 2009, 6:39 am

Xanathos wrote:I need a good clear cut difference between counter guardians and heroic spirits.

Essentially the category of heroic spirits encompass counter guardians. Counter guardians obtain the status of heroic spirits through making pacts with the World (more specifically, Alaya, the side of the World representing the will of mankind). Note, counter guardians are similar yet different from the counter force under the employment of Gaia, the side of the World representing the will of the planet. Altrouge's pet, the Primate Murderer, is also part of the counter force like the counter guardians, but he/she/it does the bidding of Gaia rather than Alaya.

In terms of power, of course counter guardians will be weaker than heroic spirits who earned their standings through their own effort. Also, counter guardians lack the freedom of heroic spirits, as they must do the bidding of Alaya. I will not go into details, since you know Archer's deeds in the future. Heroic spirits on the other hand are summoned as spiritual oracles most of the time to provide guidance and enlightenment to mankind.

However, from what I have read, Alaya seems to have the power to enlist the help of both counter guardians and heroic spirits. I guess for usual run-of-the-mill mop up jobs, counter guardians are more than enough.
Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Return to Fate/stay night Chat