Are there any other visual novels that can compare to this?

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Are there any other visual novels that can compare to this?

Unread postby Grinja » December 23rd, 2008, 4:20 am

I've enjoyed Tsukihime F/SN thanks to the hard translation work by the folks here at Mirror Moon. After these amazing experiences I just have a sense I've started at the pinnacle and now its going to be hard to find anything else that compares. So with my limited experience I was wondering what other games of this type could the community recommend? I'm guessing there isn't very many of this genre translated into English at this point.
Grinja
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Atriel » December 23rd, 2008, 4:37 am

You should check this thread. It's about VN not from Type-Moon

viewtopic.php?t=1890

I don't really know too many visual novels myself. Ever 17 (in that topic too) is a good one. Other than that i can't really recommend any more because honestly the others i have read aren't particularly good. Of course that's just my taste so you should check that post and see if anything catches your eye.

I have my eyes on Chaos;Head and Phantom of Inferno at the moment, if i ever get them <_<
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Grinja » December 23rd, 2008, 4:45 am

Cool, thanks for linking that thread for me. It should help.
Grinja
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Mkilbride » December 23rd, 2008, 5:15 am

Utwarerumono stacks up as good as Type Moon, in my opinion.

Wind ~ A breath of heart was amazing.

Ever 17 is good, but it's nowhere near as good as anything Type-Moon.

I mean, I enjoyed Ever17, but lol, it's better than yer average, but it's no masterpiece.

Chaos Head does indeed look good, and the final patch should be out REAL soon.

Overall though, if you're looking for Type-Moon quality, then you'll be sorely disappointed. 90% of Visual Novels are all generic and mainly about hentai. Of course, you get ones like Ever17, Chaos Head and whatnot from time to time, but they're so very rare.

In my opinion, Type-Moon offers the finest Visual Novel(Even if all their Animes but KynK have sucked donkey)experiences. Honestly, Tsukihime changed my entire view on Visual Novels. I used to think they were there only for sexy sexy time. Tsukihime basically said "Nah, you can find a story here to blow anything you've seen before out of the water"
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » December 23rd, 2008, 6:32 am

Mkilbride wrote:I mean, I enjoyed Ever17, but lol, it's better than yer average, but it's no masterpiece.

I'm not alone D:
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby abscess » December 23rd, 2008, 6:43 am

Atriel wrote:
Mkilbride wrote:I mean, I enjoyed Ever17, but lol, it's better than yer average, but it's no masterpiece.

I'm not alone D:

No, you are not.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby inferno_flamex » December 23rd, 2008, 8:44 am

Well.. In a way..

You can compare Princess Waltz to Fate Stay Night... XDDD

I mean.. The lead heroine.. is PRACTICALLY a Saber look-alike! Oh! And guess what.. When fighting (transformed) she weilds a sword that is VERY VERY VERY much like Excalibur/Caliburn. Oh.. and did i mention the that she's actually a PRINCE from an other world? A world where everyone thinks she's a GUY!... In fact, the protogonist actually mistook her as a guy at first since her name is Chris... and was already introduced as a guy...

Then there's this other princess that weilds a lance.. A typical 'knight's jousting lance'... Big ass of a lance and all.. And when she performs her 'special'... Her stance mimics that of Lancer's Gae Bolg!

Im serious!... Right hand back, torso crouched, left hand/palm slightly covering the tip of the lance...

Not to mention that alot of the Background CGs would definitely remind you of FSN...

Stuffs like... The Dojo-style house entrance (including the shoe rack)... The bath scene... The school (the corridors and the stairs)... and did i say about the playground which reminds me of where Shirou met Ilya??
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby hoennsquall » December 23rd, 2008, 11:04 am

hmmmm, i was wondering, which is longer?

FSN or Koihime Musou?
hoennsquall
Crack Addic!

Unread postby that one guy » December 23rd, 2008, 1:27 pm

inferno_flamex wrote:Well.. In a way..

I mean.. The lead heroine.. is PRACTICALLY a Saber look-alike! Oh! And guess what.. When fighting (transformed) she weilds a sword that is VERY VERY VERY much like Excalibur/Caliburn. Oh.. and did i mention the that she's actually a PRINCE from an other world? A world where everyone thinks she's a GUY!... In fact, the protogonist actually mistook her as a guy at first since her name is Chris... and was already introduced as a guy...

Then there's this other princess that weilds a lance.. A typical 'knight's jousting lance'... Big ass of a lance and all.. And when she performs her 'special'... Her stance mimics that of Lancer's Gae Bolg!

Im serious!... Right hand back, torso crouched, left hand/palm slightly covering the tip of the lance...

Not to mention that alot of the Background CGs would definitely remind you of FSN...

Stuffs like... The Dojo-style house entrance (including the shoe rack)... The bath scene... The school (the corridors and the stairs)... and did i say about the playground which reminds me of where Shirou met Ilya??

I was actually going to write a review for that entitled "Fate/Not as good" but I can't find it in me to finish it. I just...have no reason too when I could be playing through HF again.
that one guy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby aldw » December 23rd, 2008, 6:10 pm

Higurashi is one VN that's considered comparable to Type-Moon works in quality, it was one of the most popular ones in Japan and has an anime and manga series based on it.
aldw
Might just like this board

Unread postby negum » December 23rd, 2008, 7:21 pm

inferno_flamex wrote:Well.. In a way..

Fate spoiler (even if most people should know this by now) and slight Princess Waltz spoiler (maybe :? )
You forgot to mention that she can power up her sword by absorbing her dress. -> Saber abandoning her armor using all of her energy to attack Gilgamesh. :roll:
Internet-Rule 20: "Nothing is to be taken (too) seriously." <-- So true. :mrgreen:
negum
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Mkilbride » December 23rd, 2008, 8:16 pm

Higurashi is considered to be almost on the same level as Type-Moon? I looked at it and looked sub-standard...and it didn't even have the decency to have Hentai to make up for it's lacklusterness. Oh well, everyone has opinions I guess. :p

http://vndb.org/v777

This looks very promising. And number 777? That can't be just a random thing. :P Hopefully Mirror Moon will translate that too.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby xthr » December 23rd, 2008, 8:27 pm

I dunno, I can't help but start laughing whenever I see higurashi. It just seems too ridiculous. My suspension of belief was kinda shattered by all the middle school kiddies swinging around machetes and whatnot :\ I think they should at least make the kids a bit older, because right now I just start giggling helplessly whenever I see one of the more "freaky"(?) scenes.
xthr
Crack Addic!

Unread postby abscess » December 23rd, 2008, 11:48 pm

xthr wrote:I dunno, I can't help but start laughing whenever I see higurashi. It just seems too ridiculous. My suspension of belief was kinda shattered by all the middle school kiddies swinging around machetes and whatnot :\ I think they should at least make the kids a bit older, because right now I just start giggling helplessly whenever I see one of the more "freaky"(?) scenes.

You, man, think a lot like me!
Although I'v enjoyed the story so far, the age is a real problem for me.... It just reminds me of Saint Seiya.... I still can't believe those were kids around the age of 13! 15 at best! As a kid I thought they were in their 20s or so.... but.... 13?....
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Ciel » December 24th, 2008, 12:02 am

Higurashi is considered to be almost on the same level as Type-Moon? I looked at it and looked sub-standard...and it didn't even have the decency to have Hentai to make up for it's lacklusterness.

if you mean the pretty much terrible graphics, the ps2 port fixed that. completely redrawn into a normal style without the mitten-hands syndrome and with normal proportions.
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Shirou » December 24th, 2008, 1:08 am

Higurashi, Umineko, Ever 17, CLANNAD,Phantom of inferno.
Translated and equal or/and superior than Type Moon products.
You can check Yume Miru Kusuri also.
Ever 17 is a science fiction masterpiece. majority agrees.

[spoil]

Anyone checked Chaos ; Head?
Shirou
Might just like this board

Unread postby Atriel » December 24th, 2008, 1:35 am

^Bush obtained the presidency by majority.

Twice.

:roll:

Translation: Majority means nothing.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby hoennsquall » December 24th, 2008, 3:31 am

well, if it comes to love themes, Snow Sakura, Figures of Happiness, Heart de Roommate, Clannad (and the alternate sequel, Tomoyo It's A Wonderful Life), Private Nurse and Edelweiss would probably beat Fate
hoennsquall
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Mkilbride » December 24th, 2008, 5:20 am

Edelweiss could beat Fate...

Anything you say now is disregarded.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby inferno_flamex » December 24th, 2008, 9:52 am

*Gives a big Hi-Five to hoennsquall and Mkil...

True love themes...

*cough*Snow Sakura*cough*

...and Comedy...

*cough*Edelweiss*cough*

FTW...
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to Fate/stay night Chat