Saber - Whats the appeal? - SPOILERS

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Uthred » December 20th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Im not saying she doesnt have any, its just that I simply cant grasp what about the character would spur the (often creepy) level of fan love that she seems to. For the most part I feel she's an emotionally stunted straight man who occasionally throws off her cloyingly virginal facade for a round or two of cock sucking. Her "personality" is just so stilted and stunted that I cant feel any empathy for her at all (I thought her character was better realised in the anime where I sort of cared what happened). In my opinion she works best in the UBW path where she generally fades into the background but comes to the fore for comic relief and ass kicking.
Last edited by Uthred on December 20th, 2008, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uthred
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby solopy567 » December 20th, 2008, 3:22 pm

I think its just one of those things without reason. I find her appealing just because I do. Every character has a certain charm, and some people like it and some don't

Im not speaking for everyone, this is just my opinion

Also, Its all a matter of taste. I prefer Saber over the other girls in F/SN, just like how I prefer Akiha over Arcueid
Last edited by solopy567 on December 20th, 2008, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raitei » December 20th, 2008, 3:26 pm

the appeal? king complex, a girl who wore the mask of a king and continued to deceive herself before shirou made her begin to see daylight. looking tough but frail in the inside. but then again, she's real tough nevertheless. and if you address her as just a side characte (read : works best as a background decoration), you're wrong. wrong. she's not the type to show the real appeal while just being a decoration, unlike rin. I'm not saying rin's just a decoration, but she often manages to draw the attenion while is not under the spotlight.

also, moe-wise speaking, she's a girl who has a bit of everything. just... hard to define. at one time she can be seen as a (almost) loli, while in another she looks like a hot, mature woman.
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby inferno_flamex » December 20th, 2008, 3:35 pm

I've said it once.. and i'll say it again...

Raitei would have known my story by heart, by now...

The appeal of Saber...

Ever since a kid i have grown up listening to the stories of King Arthur and his knights... It is not so farfetched to say that he is my greatest hero, and ideal...

I admit that at first.. i felt nothing of the sort towards Saber... But the fight scene on the rooftop changed my every oppinion of her...

Therefor... Saber is in a way, has alwasys been my heroine and angel...
Yeashh.. MAJOR appeal...
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Uthred » December 20th, 2008, 3:43 pm

Hmm Ive always liked King Arthur but to be honest the whole Saber = king Arthur thing never really worked for me. I cant even accept her as "Anime King Arthur" like I can with, say, Cu Chulainn. Im also not familiar with the phrase "King complex". I also still maintain she works best as a "straight man" backup character i.e. her role in UBW ;) Of course this is all just opinion, as solopy said most of these things are based on purely subjective likes and dislikes.
Uthred
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby inferno_flamex » December 20th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Uthred wrote:Hmm Ive always liked King Arthur but to be honest the whole Saber = king Arthur thing never really worked for me. I cant even accept her as "Anime King Arthur" like I can with, say, Cu Chulainn. Im also not familiar with the phrase "King complex". I also still maintain she works best as a "straight man" backup character i.e. her role in UBW ;) Of course this is all just opinion, as solopy said most of these things are based on purely subjective likes and dislikes.

Correction...

Saber = FEMALE King Arthur

Notice how the word 'Female' makes ALOT of difference... She is someone that all arthur fanboys are allowed to drool over, and have wet dreams about... You see? You see?

... okay.. im not really making any sense.. Lol..

But anyway.. Dude.. Put the word 'SPOILERS' in the topic head.. so we can openly talk about Saber's identity here...
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raitei » December 20th, 2008, 3:56 pm

you know what's funny? I also cannot seem to accept the whole saber = king arthur with a straight face. but it's an integral part of the story, and I just found it beautiful. it truly is beautiful if a girl manages to endure all those and is finally able to find true happiness with the man she loves. :)

also, regarding the "supporting character fits saber best", I would still say no. definite no. it's fate which made her look so beautiful to me. and she didn't even shine in ubw. ( hf is excluded for some reason )
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei

Unread postby Atriel » December 20th, 2008, 7:08 pm

Simple for me. I'm not too fond of any of the FSN girls.

Saber>Rin>Sakura. For me. And that's without adding the Servants to the list :lol:

I'm no Saber fanboy though.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Sepheriel » December 20th, 2008, 7:50 pm

Raitei wrote:you know what's funny? I also cannot seem to accept the whole saber = king arthur with a straight face. but it's an integral part of the story, and I just found it beautiful. it truly is beautiful if a girl manages to endure all those and is finally able to find true happiness with the man she loves. :)

also, regarding the "supporting character fits saber best", I would still say no. definite no. it's fate which made her look so beautiful to me. and she didn't even shine in ubw. ( hf is excluded for some reason )

Raitei, you sir, have stolen pretty much everything I would say. I wonder if your love for Saber is as much as mine >: D
EKUSU---------KALIBAAAAAAAA!!
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby solopy567 » December 20th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Raitei wrote:you know what's funny? I also cannot seem to accept the whole saber = king arthur with a straight face. but it's an integral part of the story, and I just found it beautiful. it truly is beautiful if a girl manages to endure all those and is finally able to find true happiness with the man she loves. :)

HF was an exception, she turned mega evil and she died, so nothing more can come out of her there.

To the topic, seeing (normally) serious people like Saber have other expressions such as blushing or embarresment adds to the moe and loli status. And she is also kind of short, so she would have made a great loli if she wasnt so hard headed all the time.
solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raitei » December 20th, 2008, 11:51 pm

Sepheriel wrote:Raitei, you sir, have stolen pretty much everything I would say. I wonder if your love for Saber is as much as mine >: D
... what?

I wonder if your love for Saber is as much as mine >: D

your love for Saber is as much as mine >: D
no, my love for saber has pretty much degenerated over time and has now become something of a "prized possession" love, pretty much like gilgamesh.

your love for saber, m'boy , isn't half deep as mine. 8)
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei

Unread postby Mkilbride » December 21st, 2008, 1:16 am

I think he loves Saber more. Thinking of her as an object = less love.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Nerroth » December 21st, 2008, 1:54 am

Mkilbride wrote:Thinking of her as an object = less love.

Precisely.

She's a woman - a fine one indeed, on a par with Sakura and Rin in my mind - not a possession.
Nerroth
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raitei » December 21st, 2008, 2:34 am

Mkilbride wrote:I think he loves Saber more. Thinking of her as an object = less love.
you don't know the purpose of the strikethrough tag, do you? you, pal, just failed in interpreting this conversation.

edit : oh, in case you're just too limited in knowledge to know what I mean, I said that just as a go-through-airily joke.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » December 21st, 2008, 3:01 am

Raitei wrote:
Sepheriel wrote:Raitei, you sir, have stolen pretty much everything I would say. I wonder if your love for Saber is as much as mine >: D

your love for saber, m'boy , isn't half deep as mine. 8)

Well we all know that by the Gate of Saber pics that you unleash in the Unlimited Pic Works thread here. Besides I don't think anyone here has that level of affection twoards Saber where they would be called a total saberphile by your standards of course.

In any case I always thought of her as the girl that knows how to live like a reverse trap in a way. Although she does start to show a femine side later on in the Fate storyline. As for UBW she suddenly was forced to show her female side as well after being "yuri raped" by Caster. As for HF well at least it showed that she had a "Dark side" to her even though it wasn't her fault to begin with.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby inferno_flamex » December 21st, 2008, 4:21 am

Hmm.. Apperently there's enough appeal for people to start debating who loves her more! XDDD
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » December 21st, 2008, 4:50 am

I know right she has very little appeal. I mean clearly Sakura >>>inf>>> Saber. Right?!? Right?

*Runs away from Raitei taking Sakura, Rider and Caster with him*
And the cutest anime character award goes to ... PINO
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread postby that one guy » December 21st, 2008, 4:56 am

drizzt_rocks wrote:I know right she has very little appeal. I mean clearly Sakura >>>inf>>> Saber. Right?!? Right?

Agreed.

drizzt_rocks wrote:*Runs away from Raitei taking Sakura, Rider and Caster with him*

Wait just one minute, you can have Caster, but DAMMIT I GET RIDER AND SAKURA!(They come as a pair, you know)
that one guy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raitei » December 21st, 2008, 8:14 am

/me snatches both that one guy and drizzt, and triple buster'd them to the ground. :twisted:

that's how awesome saber is. :twisted:
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei

Unread postby nobaka » December 21st, 2008, 8:40 am

that one guy wrote:
drizzt_rocks wrote:I know right she has very little appeal. I mean clearly Sakura >>>inf>>> Saber. Right?!? Right?
*Runs away from Raitei taking Sakura, Rider and Caster with him*

Wait just one minute, you can have Caster, but DAMMIT I GET RIDER AND SAKURA!(They come as a pair, you know)

Fuck that, he can't have my Caster.

And when comparing Sakura to Saber, it's really no contest. Saber has a personality. Sakura may be misunderstood and violent, but she's not even consistent about it. Also, incapable of evoking sympathy.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to Fate/stay night Chat