Saber - Whats the appeal? - SPOILERS

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Undream » December 27th, 2008, 3:18 am

So yea, saber is awesome!
Does that answer your doubts? no? too bad... xD

anyway , I always liked saber and sakura more than rin...
rin is, well, rin *says it as if it is something bad, which it is...
"...One must wait continuously, one must pursue endlessly.
They must realize that it was impossible to succeed yet
at the same time be capable of enduring patiently.
Is that... the story of a dream that shouldn't be waited upon?..."
Last Episode
Undream
Crack Addic!

Unread postby aldw » December 27th, 2008, 3:34 am

@Wiiown: Same here as well, Rin and Shirou complement each other so well that, even though Saber is a walking pillar of moe, that any other pairing just seems to pale in comparison in my mind. All the little conversation details in the HF route between the two of them reinforces that point even more for me.
aldw
Might just like this board

Unread postby xesias » December 28th, 2008, 5:44 am

why i love saber:ultra kawaii gives good sex :D can whoop your ass!! and is hilarous when cooking
xesias
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby KratosIrving » December 28th, 2008, 7:19 am

nobaka wrote:
that one guy wrote:
drizzt_rocks wrote:I know right she has very little appeal. I mean clearly Sakura >>>inf>>> Saber. Right?!? Right?
*Runs away from Raitei taking Sakura, Rider and Caster with him*

Wait just one minute, you can have Caster, but DAMMIT I GET RIDER AND SAKURA!(They come as a pair, you know)

Fuck that, he can't have my Caster.

You can have my Caster. (Insert shameless plug over own FF)
KratosIrving
<3 *rip* *splurt*

Unread postby Gilgawesome » December 31st, 2008, 2:45 am

Saber is a walking contradiction.
*strong and stern but yet shy and kind
*wants the grail yet values the lives of others more
*small and cute yet a fierce fighter and a king
***didn't accept mah proposal

A person like that is interesting, one of a kind.
As the king, Saber belongs to me.
Gilgawesome
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Raitei » December 31st, 2008, 3:23 am

you may be the king, friend, but I'm the emperor, so much as saber belongs to me. 8) [/spam]

hail another gilgamesh fan! 8)
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby allanh » January 29th, 2009, 10:09 am

well... I have fallen in love (literally) since watching the anime and then playing the Fate route of the game.
The reason why Saber (Arturia Pendragon) is so attractive?
1. Super cuteness
2. Tsundere (yes, she is definitely a tsundere)
3. Loyal but yet have a very soft side to her personality. Understanding and considerate to others' feelings

*sigh, my only salvation is if there is such a girl in real life?
allanh
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Mkilbride » January 29th, 2009, 8:12 pm

allanh wrote:well... I have fallen in love (literally) since watching the anime and then playing the Fate route of the game.
The reason why Saber (Arturia Pendragon) is so attractive?
1. Super cuteness
2. Tsundere (yes, she is definitely a tsundere)
3. Loyal but yet have a very soft side to her personality. Understanding and considerate to others' feelings

*sigh, my only salvation is if there is such a girl in real life?

Get a bi-polar loli who loves anime and all things Otaku. That would be the girl that would fit you best.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby allanh » January 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

thanks for the sarcasm mate.

I guess you wouldn't be in this forum if you weren't an otaku, hey?

btw, I am pretty sure you don't really understand Japanese/Asian ways of thinking, because Saber's actions are totally understandable and considered as honorable to most Asisians, but I understand why some Westerners just don't get her.
allanh
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Inverted » January 29th, 2009, 9:01 pm

*ahem*
Saber is pretty popular (not necessarily the most ) among all fandoms . In the end it boils down to personal taste.Now lets get back to topic.
Inverted
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mkilbride » January 29th, 2009, 9:26 pm

I lover Saber. I wasn't being sarcastic...wow.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Rikh » January 29th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Mkilbride wrote:I lover Saber. I wasn't being sarcastic...wow.

...Well i guess i cant expect much more from you...

Although on-topic, i think rin is just hands down pwning saber
Sabers nice, its just she is too serious, she needs moaaar moeness
Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kikuchi » January 30th, 2009, 1:29 am

Rikh wrote:
Mkilbride wrote:I lover Saber. I wasn't being sarcastic...wow.

...Well i guess i cant expect much more from you...

Although on-topic, i think rin is just hands down pwning saber
Sabers nice, its just she is too serious, she needs moaaar moeness
Bleh, about moeness... *looks at how people who don't even know Saber pre-ordered her figurine*

That's just how awesome she is. 8)
Kikuchi
Crack Desu!

Re: Saber - Whats the appeal? - SPOILERS

Unread postby Oolinthu » February 8th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Uthred wrote:Im not saying she doesnt have any, its just that I simply cant grasp what about the character would spur the (often creepy) level of fan love that she seems to. For the most part I feel she's an emotionally stunted straight man who occasionally throws off her cloyingly virginal facade for a round or two of cock sucking. Her "personality" is just so stilted and stunted that I cant feel any empathy for her at all (I thought her character was better realised in the anime where I sort of cared what happened). In my opinion she works best in the UBW path where she generally fades into the background but comes to the fore for comic relief and ass kicking.

Not stunted or stilted. The word you're looking for is subtle. Saber actually has a very complete and well-rounded personality. She experiences a full range of emotions - love, happiness, sorrow, guilt, regret, frustration, anger, vexation, contempt, embarrassment, sympathy, among others. It's just that she has a reserved personality and has led a life that required her to suppress her feelings. This often causes her to express them differently than, say, Rin, who is essentially an open book and has body language and facial expressions to go with every feeling or mindset as it strikes her (that's not to detract from Rin, however - I think this is part of what makes her character is so well-designed).

The appeal of Saber, for me, at least, stems from this - her characterization as a 'knight', the conflict of values between her feelings, goals, duties, and ideals, and her struggle to protect what's important to her. In terms of persona, she's also dependable, loyal, strong-willed, and very likable. Her character is also very consistent, as opposed to Sakura, who more or less behaves however the story requires her to, vacillating between remorseless cruelty, guilt-ridden self-loathing, and other polar opposites, sometimes within the space of a few minutes.
Oolinthu
Addict

Unread postby allanh » February 8th, 2009, 10:45 pm

Oolinthu wrote:Not stunted or stilted. The word you're looking for is subtle. Saber actually has a very complete and well-rounded personality. She experiences a full range of emotions - love, happiness, sorrow, guilt, regret, frustration, anger, vexation, contempt, embarrassment, sympathy, among others. It's just that she has a reserved personality and has led a life that required her to suppress her feelings. This often causes her to express them differently than, say, Rin, who is essentially an open book and has body language and facial expressions to go with every feeling or mindset as it strikes her (that's not to detract from Rin, however - I think this is part of what makes her character is so well-designed).

The appeal of Saber, for me, at least, stems from this - her characterization as a 'knight', the conflict of values between her feelings, goals, duties, and ideals, and her struggle to protect what's important to her. In terms of persona, she's also dependable, loyal, strong-willed, and very likable. Her character is also very consistent, as opposed to Sakura, who more or less behaves however the story requires her to, vacillating between remorseless cruelty, guilt-ridden self-loathing, and other polar opposites, sometimes within the space of a few minutes.

well said :)
http://Miyazaki.com - my Hayao Miyazaki fan site
http://CityHunter.com- my City Hunter fan site
Saber-chan, come back to me~~~~~
allanh
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raven » February 9th, 2009, 12:29 am

Well, I don't know how to give a full description but Saber is one of those rare case of this "certain" archetype that manages to avoid being the usual cliche and cheesy.

I mean if you look at other characters who have her the same archetype (dutiful and knightly) they're usually emo who are filled cliche, Saber does not feel that way for some reason. It can be she does not have the "acting cool" factor so her "honor bound" does not come across as cheesy as usual.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby TSirDiesalot » February 9th, 2009, 10:51 am

Wait what do you mean you can't see the appeal/grasp it -_- it should speak for itself
TSirDiesalot
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Ryougi07 » February 9th, 2009, 11:35 am

Saber =almost Perfect, nuf said.
"You're better off without the scent of blood, I might just suddenly cut you up."
Ryougi07
Addict

Unread postby kerogoth » February 10th, 2009, 11:16 am

Saber's appeal? That's simple.

She's a girl. With a sword. In plate.

While I can repeat much of the emotional jumbo like how she is a strong person, yet a girl on the inside, held the mask of a king for years and so on and so on that has been said countless of times, it all started with those eight words above.

Saber is a girl kicking ass with a western style sword in plate.

Swordplay, or rather melee weaponry, is something that has captivated me for many years, and I always enjoyed seeing them in action. Anime offered a road to experience weaponry live-action films always failed to, bound to reality as they are. However, most anime focused on the typical Japanese weaponry, and while great, I grew tired of seeing yet another samurai or ninja dispatching their enemies with katana and other Japanese styled weapons. I started to miss the western weaponry. I started to miss the value of armor, which anime for some reason usually discarded. While I understood that anime, being made in Japan, would focus on their own culture above others, I wanted to see the weaponry from my culture. The weapons I took, and still take, to the field of battle during the many LARP events.

Then entered Saber.

Wearing armor part stylized, part functional. Wielding a sword of obvious medieval heritage.

And she was a girl.

A very cute girl.

I needed little more to be absolutely sold the the blonde haired knight. Her personality and background where mere cherries on top of what I already considered a delicious parfait. What captivated me was that she broke the what had become a dreary routine of samurai and ninja, of katana and shuriken, and smashed into it with the abandon that only a true knight can display. She was not some mindless sword swinging brainless bloke -as western knights have a tendency to be displayed in anime- but as much a master of the sword as any samurai. She brought the glory that was the western weaponry back on the screen of anime.

And she looked gorgeous while doing so.
kerogoth
Might just like this board

Unread postby astalotte » April 22nd, 2014, 11:53 pm

if you only talk about normal saber then you have not lived!i consider all five sabers a family;
normal saber - king
saber extra/nero - queen
saber lily - nee-san princess
saber alter(the one from carnival phantasm sadistic loli one that makes gil masochistic ) - imouto princess
saber lion - lovable pet

i loved saber alter from carnival phantasm, she even said it herself
“i am a cute gothic lolita maid sir!”
you guys need to watch that episode - ep .8
i remember the part in f/ha when she plays with the stuffed animal soooo moe~
i also think it was very otome like in fate when she tried to read the stars and talk about her love for shirou. Soooo kawaii~ I find it hard to take saber seriously whenever she's talking seriously cost her ahoge is just sitting there in the back ground and you just feel like patting her head. :3 i just love it how saber has so many fans even in the anime/game it self;
caster(fsn medea)
caster(f/z)
gilgamesh(fsn & f/z)
lancer(f/z)
rin(fsn)

i think saber and illya should be nee-san and imouto even though their both classified as lolis. saber is so cute~~~ i wish she was my imouto or nee-san

if saber and kona-chan from lucky star ever met, i feel as though the first thing they would do is touch each others' ahoge because in fsn, saber is the only one with an ahoge and vice versa for kona-chan in lucky star them main 2 fav anime characters ever and i've watched over 300 anime and played 10 visual novels- all eroge
astalotte
Posting more than n00bs

Previous

Return to Fate/stay night Chat