Most Powerful Servant [Spoilers]

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Who is the most powerful servant overall?

Poll ended at December 1st, 2008, 2:31 am

Saber
10%
Lancer
6%
Berserker
4%
Archer
29%
Caster
1%
Assassin (Sasaki)
1%
Rider
6%
Dark Saber
7%
Gilgamesh
35%
Hassan
1%

Total votes: 72

Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Keeper of Gil's Vault » January 8th, 2009, 7:04 am

Rankings are always fun, but they should be done from an objective point of view, otherwise it will be difficult, if not impossible, to convince anyone. Not in any particular order, just thinking out loud.

Let's say all servants are Noble Phantasm spamming machines, and there are no strategies or any other external interferences, then the winner will probably be either Sabre or Gilgamesh.

Factoring in Masters, the situation will be different. The Masters are frequently the weaker one of the Master-Servant pair. If one were to fully exploit this, True Assassin should be the strongest servant. However, known Masters of True Assassin had never taken this approach. Kiritsugu, who employed Master-assassination as the guiding principle, sadly did not draw True Assassin. Alas, talent wasted, Hassans. Thou art damned to play the second fiddle to antagonists. Like that one guy said, True Assassins never did what they were supposed to do.

Lancer, eh, the concept of his Noble Phantasm is probably the most sophisticated and interesting of all, but it pales in comparison to the grandeur of the likes of Unlimited Blade Works and Gate of Babylon, or the raw power of Ea and Excalibur. It kind of fell with Delusional Heart Beat into the category of "Neat Tricks", heck, Delusional Heart Beat actually killed someone, but Lancer never slayed a servant with his Noble Phantasm. Lancer will probably never be the strongest servant, but he would be a fine fellow to befriend. Nasu essentially utilized Lancer to demonstrate the human side of the Servants. After all, they were once human. Despite being forced to team up with Kotomine, his sense of justice remained unwavering. It is sad to see he got disposed of tragically in every route, and never scored Servant-kills. I was gonna type something like "isn't it sad, Lancer", but hey, Lancer needs no sympathy, the guy knows how to make epic exits.

Caster was probably the wisest among all the Servants. She planned out almost everything meticulously. An easily defensible base, a solid stockpile of mana, and understanding her own weakness, she even summoned Kojiro. However, blame Nasu for making the Knight Classes resistant to magic. From the available information, Medea is probably the finest servant the Caster class can ever produce. However, almost from the start, the blessings were given to the Knight Classes (Lancer, Sabre, and Archer).

Rider really stole the show in Heaven's Feel, but the Rider class inherently relies heavily on Noble Phantasms, which may pose a problem. Rider can dispense ample amount of pain in melee, as shown in her battle with True Assassin. Her Noble Phantasms are impressive indeed. However, as Gilgamesh has shown, if you want to rely on Noble Phantasms, you better have lots and lots of them. Also, the fact that Gilgamesh has a Gorgon-slaying sword doesn't help.

Berserker... really really bad track record. As the von Einzberns demonstrated, you need a mana pool on legs to run one of these. As the routes have demonstrated, there are quite a few ways to kill Berserker. If the Holy Grail War is something like a boxing or wrestling match, then Berserker will be the strongest, otherwise, no.

Kojiro, mmm, the guy has grace and commands respect, but sadly lacking in the "wipe your opponent off the face of the Earth" department.

I am partial to Archer, so I will not discuss about him, but I acknowledge the fact that he is not the strongest.

All in all, the strongest Servant title should be given to Gilgamesh or Sabre. In all five Holy Grail Wars, the Sabre class either won or made it to the final battle. Considering none of the first three wars were conclusive and we know what happened in the fourth and fifth, I guess it is hard to deny the Sabre class this title. Gilgamesh... Let's just say if he pulls out an aircraft carrier from the Gate of Babylon, I would not even raise an eye brow.

Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Rikh » January 9th, 2009, 1:55 am

Keeper of Gil's Vault wrote: Gilgamesh... Let's just say if he pulls out an aircraft carrier from the Gate of Babylon, I would not even raise an eye brow.
Well read fate/zero and have some fun then :wink:

Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Keeper of Gil's Vault » January 12th, 2009, 5:08 am

'Twas a mere Indian glider, but then again, many ancient legends describe fortresses in the sky, he might have one of those...

Xamdou
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Xamdou » January 14th, 2009, 3:39 am

This servant is still the strongest >_<
► Show Spoiler
"You sit proudly in this cave , like a Queen of Egypt.
In my service to you , I shall never know rest.
To prove my devotion , I have stolen this ostentatious offering.
But I'll show you things your dark blue eye haven't seen , smiles like a lake in the sun , blossoming like a lotus."

Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Rikh » January 14th, 2009, 4:41 am

Xamdou wrote:This servant is still the strongest >_<
► Show Spoiler
god i loved her arc.
It was the only arc in all of F/SN that actually made me cry
► Show Spoiler
also the stakes shiro has to take are completely out of this world when compared to the other routes

overall i have to agree, Fuji-nee is one of the most powerful beings in existence... well except to when Shiro fought Gilgamesh, Archer, and Berserker at once during her route

also the ending was bawlin
in the crying... and slang sense

spathi
Addict

Unread post by spathi » January 14th, 2009, 7:31 am

Rikh wrote:
Xamdou wrote:This servant is still the strongest >_<
► Show Spoiler
god i loved her arc.
It was the only arc in all of F/SN that actually made me cry
► Show Spoiler
also the stakes shiro has to take are completely out of this world when compared to the other routes

overall i have to agree, Fuji-nee is one of the most powerful beings in existence... well except to when Shiro fought Gilgamesh, Archer, and Berserker at once during her route

also the ending was bawlin
in the crying... and slang sense
:shock:

Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » January 14th, 2009, 11:59 pm

And that my friends is why Taiga is the most powerful servant in the series. She is so powerful they had to find a way to keep her out of most, if not all, of the action in the 5th HF War. I'd be supprised if she was somewhat involved in the 4th HF War though.

Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Rikh » January 15th, 2009, 10:37 am

Kid-Wolf wrote:And that my friends is why Taiga is the most powerful servant in the series. She is so powerful they had to find a way to keep her out of most, if not all, of the action in the 5th HF War. I'd be supprised if she was somewhat involved in the 4th HF War though.
i heard Taiga went back in time and won the 1st and second wars, and made them seem as failures

Xamdou
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Xamdou » January 15th, 2009, 10:40 am

Rikh wrote:
Kid-Wolf wrote:And that my friends is why Taiga is the most powerful servant in the series. She is so powerful they had to find a way to keep her out of most, if not all, of the action in the 5th HF War. I'd be supprised if she was somewhat involved in the 4th HF War though.
i heard Taiga went back in time and won the 1st and second wars, and made them seem as failures
With 99% of her power sealed
But I'll show you things your dark blue eye haven't seen , smiles like a lake in the sun , blossoming like a lotus."

Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Rikh » January 15th, 2009, 10:43 am

Xamdou wrote:
Rikh wrote:
yah... its a shame taiga at 1% though can reach speeds only to about mach 7 without a command cell boost on herself
also her reality marble, unlimited shinai works, only has the power to damage half a continent when she is at 1% energy

Xamdou
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Xamdou » January 15th, 2009, 10:55 am

Rikh wrote:
Xamdou wrote:
Rikh wrote: i heard Taiga went back in time and won the 1st and second wars, and made them seem as failures
yah... its a shame taiga at 1% though can reach speeds only to about mach 7 without a command cell boost on herself
also her reality marble, unlimited shinai works, only has the power to damage half a continent when she is at 1% energy
Don't forget her Gate of Tiger
► Show Spoiler
each tiger has the destructive power almost equal to a nuke

Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » January 15th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Xamdou wrote:
Rikh wrote:
Xamdou wrote:With 99% of her power sealed
Don't forget her Gate of Tiger
► Show Spoiler
each tiger has the destructive power almost equal to a nuke
And with that I just competly lol'ed at thaat idea. Also, the pic enhances what you've mentioned there.

It seems that Taiga is nothing more then a loveable, and yet an overpowered, gag character. Besides when she is annoyed she starts acting like a tiger. Strange thing is there is another anime that had a girl named Taiga and is nicknamed the Palm-Top Tiger. It must be because of this Taiga that any female named Taiga will be blessed/cursed with the afinity of the Tiger.

Xanathos
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Xanathos » January 15th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Taiga also slayed a dragon.the greatest of the phantasm races, who merely have to breathe to generate Prana.

Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Rikh » January 15th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Xanathos wrote:Taiga also slayed a dragon.the greatest of the phantasm races, who merely have to breathe to generate Prana.
thats how the took the 'dragons' place in the holy grail war during the taiga route ;)

if you don't get this, brush up on doujins, and nasu-history on servants ;)

BlackTornado
Addict

Unread post by BlackTornado » January 17th, 2009, 5:34 am

Keeper of Gil's Vault wrote:Rankings are always fun, but they should be done from an objective point of view, otherwise it will be difficult, if not impossible, to convince anyone. Not in any particular order, just thinking out loud.

blah blah
I think i will add on to archer's review.

Archer is definitely one of the more, if not most versatile heroes. Tracing can exploit the weakness of almost all heroes. However, like Kojiro, Archer lacks in power. He does not have any insanely powerful NPs like bellerophon, excaliblast, gae bolg, GoB, ea, etc. The closest he comes is in BPs, which are powerful... but not nearly as much as the aforementioned ones, you have to agree. UBW is overrated. It is cool, it is awesome, but its only useful if your enemy is called Gil. Otherwise it is only an annoyance at best. His best shot at beating others is in exploiting their carelessness and bidding his time until an opportunity comes. (and hoping that the opponent does not dare to show his NP as he cannot confirm archer's identity) He is more suited for schemes and cunning: what he lacks in punch he makes up for in brains and experience. Sadly, Rin, despite being a genius student, is still young and a more straightforward person. They are not exactly the best match either.

It is really hard for archer to win. Against lancer, he would have died twice if not for: 1st shirou interrupting their first meeting (i do not see how archer can survive gae bolg thrust, his luck is bad) 2nd when lancer unleashed throwing lance, lancer decided not to kill him but could have easily done that, as archer was basically defenseless and badly injured.
fourFyFSIX

Vhailor
Addict

Unread post by Vhailor » January 17th, 2009, 4:09 pm

It was already said before in another topic but Kiritsugu and Archer would be an excellent team. That s quit ironic.

Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Rikh » January 17th, 2009, 8:31 pm

i think you guys are underestimating Shirou and Archer...
They are the types of people who will win no matter what...

normally people would say "Shirou has no possible way of beating Berserker..." Well guess what, he did ;)

Archer and Shiro, if in a hopeless battle, will image and recreate the thing needed in order to win. Just because we have not seen some battles before, it doesn't mean that its impossible

Archer beat Lancer in a fair fight, although exhausted, within about 2 minutes he went inside, fought off saber, and executed Unlimited Blade Works. Now honestly, can you tell me Archer truly had no chance against Lancer? Of course when shiro is at his most pitiful state is when he is most capable of winning any fight, see HF, UBW, and Fate, every time he pulled out a new trump card, he was half dead in the process

i honestly think that Archer is much more powerful than people throw him off to be. If Archer 'needed' to win a fight, he would no matter what, and he wouldn't be killed even if he died.

Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Rikh » January 17th, 2009, 8:33 pm

edit* how did i do a double post?

rastilin
Might just like this board

Unread post by rastilin » January 17th, 2009, 9:03 pm

he went inside, fought off saber, and executed Unlimited Blade Work
Don't you mean, "he went inside, killed caster, fought off saber, and executed Unlimited Blade Work"

spathi
Addict

Unread post by spathi » January 17th, 2009, 9:41 pm

sorry to say but Archer can't beat plot armor :(
serk beat him