FSN commentary (SPOILERIFFIC!)

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Favourite Route, all said and done?

Fate
18%
Unlimited Blade Works
43%
Heavens Feel
27%
The secret Taiga/Illya Buruma route (LOL)
6%
Actually, I'm just GAR for Beserker!
6%

Total votes : 67

FSN commentary (SPOILERIFFIC!)

Unread postby eharper256 » November 18th, 2008, 12:57 am

Hey guys; having now totally finished up FSN (including all of the Taiga workshops and the extra end with Ilya and Taiga); I just went and made a MASSIVE post on my blog which contains my thoughts and opinions on the matter. If its not imposing, would you guys check it out?

Mainly, I'm looking for obvious stupid cack-ups. Don't wanna go spreading any false information!

http://detarame.wordpress.com/2008/11/1 ... ommentary/

And, so this topic isn't stupid and obsolete, please use it to post your own thoughts about the game and its routes as a whole, too. (As in, not just Heavens Feel, but everything! Give Saber and Rin some luv too!).

On a side note, I feel no shame in admitting I'm GAR for Beserker. Discuss that too, if you like... (ROFL) :twisted:

If I'm way out of line here, I apologise. Please slap my wrists and I shall delete the topic myself. In before oh shi- Shiki is a moderator, noooo! (has line of death cut)
eharper256
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Vayth » November 18th, 2008, 1:24 am

Well, I think UBW is still the best. The battle between Archers (gil, emiya, & shirou) still the best part of this game..

I think HF is next, because it has true assassin & black saber.. The story itself isn't bad.

The last is Fate. maybe because I watched the anime before play the game, so I found it isn't something new. at least not as good as other 2..
Vayth
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby eharper256 » November 18th, 2008, 11:32 am

Oh, I thought I'd be picking a contraversial answer by selecting UBW as my favourite, but it looks like so far, people agree with that sentiment. :!:

I too agree with the schematic of:
UBW > HF > Fate
Though I don't believe an awful lot seperates them; they're all extremely cool in their own ways (as my commentary states...)

I think Rin manages to get an awesome role in all three routes too, from her gem explosion against Beserker in Fate, to her Zeltretch Jewel sword pwnage in Heavens Feel, and of course her kung-fu Caster smackdown in UBW. Not to mention she keeps turning up in her SD form for many of the Taiga workshops.
eharper256
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby samasamon » November 18th, 2008, 11:41 am

I prefer UBW. HF is good, but there is not too much fight, somehow it explain about the truth of holy grail. Fate is last.
samasamon
Might just like this board

Unread postby Mkilbride » November 18th, 2008, 11:55 am

UBW. As everyone says.

HF is mainly emotional.

Fate is mainly fighting.

UBW is the perfect mix of emotional "WOW! and "Damn...that sucks", and fighting of "NO FREAKING WAY MAN! I DID NOT JUST SEE THAT!" to make it great. The others focused to much on one aspect and just started to gray together.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby IceCold_Asssassin » November 19th, 2008, 1:54 am

for me it was HF > UBW > Fate.
it just got better and better for me :lol:
IceCold_Asssassin
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raitei » November 19th, 2008, 2:46 am

Mkilbride wrote:Fate is mainly fighting.
... what?

Mkilbride wrote:UBW is the perfect mix of emotional "WOW! and "Damn...that sucks", and fighting of "NO FREAKING WAY MAN! I DID NOT JUST SEE THAT!" to make it great. The others focused to much on one aspect and just started to gray together.
... ok, that's funny.
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby holydiver » November 19th, 2008, 9:45 am

I would have voted UBW, ut then I thought about Kotonime and Rider parts in HF: the only thing I complain about HF is that there is no Soichiro).

For me the best route is HF. IMO Fate is too "normal" compared to HF and UBW.
holydiver

Unread postby Sinshlad » November 19th, 2008, 11:08 am

HF > UBW > Fate

Basically, for me, the game got more awesome as I progressed through the routes. All of them being really enjoyable, I can't say I've come across a similar story(or set of stories) that even comes close to the complexity and completeness of Fate as a whole. The routes add together really well to give complex personalities and traits of all the characters, and extensive information behind the Holy Grail War as a whole(including what happens when it goes horribly wrong).

My impression of the routes is roughly as follows:

Fate --- Shirou in fate was incredibly annoying, I just couldn't stand him. Though I enjoyed the development in the relationship between Shirou and Saber towards the end of the route. I really didn't like the ending, just as the relationship between Shirou and Saber reaches a point where it's getting interesting, it ends. The realta nua ending does not help this situation in any way(I found it rather aweful.)The fights in Fate are failry consistent in quality but there were none that really wowed me. Fate probably also loses points due to me having watched the anime first.

UBW --- Shirou still fairly annoying, but not quite as bad as in fate. I didn't much like the relationship between Shirou and Tosaka, I found it... fairly boring and too awkward. The major defining factor in UBW that makes it great is the fights and GAR towards the end. Almost in an instant Shirou stops being annoying and becomes awesome. UBW contains my two favorite fights out of all the routes being the Archer Vs Shirou and Gil Vs Shirou fights. Also, it contains the most awesome one-liners(Drown in your ideals, got enough swords in stock, etc.) The true ending of UBW is my favorite of all the endings in the game.

HF --- The way Shinji dies. That is enough to make HF win. While Shirou never gained the GAR he had at the end of UBW, he was consistently bearable, saving points lost in the other routes. The relationship between Shirou and Sakura was my favorite out of all the routes, it was the only one that felt 'complete' by the end, I was completely satisfied with it. It also contained my third and fourth favorite fights being Kotomine Vs True Assassin and Shirour+Rider Vs Dark Saber. I found the overall story the best of the three routes by far. It's dark nature and the progression of Sakura towards a more evil personality sold me pretty quickly. I enjoyed the true ending except for the way Shirou survived, I just didn't like the puppet idea.
Sinshlad
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby eharper256 » November 19th, 2008, 11:25 am

Mmmm, interesting. UBW is still in front by a fair margin, but Fate and HF have their supporters coming out of the woodwork now. And two people prefer to be GAR for Beserker. :P

I take it from the silence elsewhere that there are no glaring errors in my commentary, which is a relief... :)
eharper256
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby spathi » November 19th, 2008, 1:10 pm

you cant beat taiga and buruma everybody always wanted to see the Tiger Dojo somehow XD
spathi
Addict

Unread postby Raitei » November 19th, 2008, 1:17 pm

I wonder why
people keep screaming over fate shirou while ubw shirou is clearly more childish than ever... fate shirou pursued his ideals because it's beautiful, not because some childish reasoning like "I know what I will become if I go down that path, and the fact that you're tring to warn me makes me even more radical in pursuing that path! so shut up already!" *slaps archer in the face*
honestly, I would say ubw is the most half-baked of all those 3 routes. heck, besides archer's past, it explains almost nothing about f/sn. nothing at all.
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei

Unread postby spathi » November 19th, 2008, 1:25 pm

It tells us nothing but it sure as hell shows us how GAR the servants are except probably Rider
Last edited by spathi on November 19th, 2008, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spathi
Addict

Unread postby Vayth » November 19th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Well, it doesnt explain anything about story, but characters' role are greater than in other route..
Lancer isnt just unsignificant char. Archer's betrayal is so cool. Saber got an appropriate master and cool stats. Battle between original & fake. etc..
Vayth
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Ailtin » November 19th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Does this The secret Taiga/Illya Buruma route really exist ?
Ailtin

Unread postby Mkilbride » November 19th, 2008, 4:41 pm

YEs, but you have to go to jail after you view it.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby eharper256 » November 19th, 2008, 5:28 pm

Ailtin wrote:Does this The secret Taiga/Illya Buruma route really exist ?

Technically, I say yes...just get all the bad ends, lol. :lol:

Seriously though, there is a contiguous stream running through them and there is the bonus ending with Taiga and Ilya in the hotspring discussing the game.

Some of the Taiga/Ilya workshops are fantastically amusing. Its worth making the obvious stupid choices just to see the "YOU IDIOT!" moments with the destroyed chibi shirou dolls and the uppercuts. :twisted:

And I laughed for like five minutes non-stop after the ending where chibi-Saber comes on the Lion and attacks everyone. :D

Though in terms of an actual, honest to goodness route; no, it doesn't... Ilya's route was cancelled...
eharper256
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Shirou » November 19th, 2008, 10:56 pm

UBW. it's a good and manly story, who cares about "explaining about fsn or the holy grail" the nasuverse sucks anyway.
And it's in UBW that Shirou follows the ideal because is beautiful, not in Fate.
Fate is a simple shonen with people not dying when killed and Shirou learning shit as a person. He stays as a child blindly following the ideal. At least he learns that he can fail , what being a superhero really means and what he will go through in ubw . And decides to challenge his fate.
I don't like HF. i just can't like or feel pity for Sakura. Kotomine saves the route. Ilya is cute. Overrated route was overrated.
Shirou

Unread postby Raitei » November 20th, 2008, 1:28 am

Mkilbride wrote:YEs, but you have to go to jail after you view it.
no, technically, we all have to go to jail after reading all f/sn routes (except ilya route, if there's any). why?
because saber is 14-16, rin is 17, sakura is 16. only ilya is 18.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei

Unread postby Catastrophe » November 20th, 2008, 1:35 am

Raitei wrote:I wonder why people keep screaming over fate shirou while ubw shirou is clearly more childish than ever... fate shirou pursued his ideals because it's beautiful, not because some childish reasoning like "I know what I will become if I go down that path, and the fact that you're tring to warn me makes me even more radical in pursuing that path! so shut up already!" *slaps archer in the face*

*seconds every single word from this text*

the last part of it however.....

dunno, just LOVED the development of archer.

besides, my computer almost blew up by the unbearable amounts of raw GARness during Archer Vs Lancer 8) (easily the best fight of the game imo)
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to Fate/stay night Chat