About people liking Rin [Spoilerz]

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

About people liking Rin [Spoilerz]

Unread postby HeartCard » November 12th, 2008, 8:02 am

Alright, I've GOT to ask now. To be simplistic about this, I simple do not understand it.

WHY do people seem to like Rin so much?
Hell even Shirou is obsessed with her. Albeit I notice he cares much less for her in Fate than other routes for some reason.

To be blunt, I find this stuck-up, burnt haired, queen wannabe to be disgusting. Almost putrid.
I will admit, physically speaking Rin is fine. Not attractive really, but fine in general.
But her personality, how she talks, everything else about her seems utterly disgusting and makes my mind revolt in agonizing delusion that "This girl should not have any fanbase".

Please, for Haruhi's sakes, explain to me what people find so attractive and mentally gratifying about Tohsaka Rin.
Because I cannot seem to see it.

I have heard one person say it is because she is the Ciel of Fate/Stay Night...Except for the fact that she's...not.
I can understand how biased Shiki was towards Ciel. Why? Because Ciel used a spell to make it that way.
I can understand how biased Shirou was towards Rin...Until he talks to her. At that point I would have thought some sort of crack in his feelings for her should have been made, if not shattered on-spot.
But the Fans, the mother ducking FANS seem to swarm about Tohsaka Rin.
Sure, her fanbase is nowhere near a match for Saber's, but I think that's natural. Especially after the fading-existance anime came out.
And just maybe Rin has the lowest Fanbase of all, however...

1. She seems to be the only one (excluding Illya) to be publically talked about by fans to other fans.
2. She just disgusts me when talked about in fanboyish fashions. And yes, I do think that includes /swooon

So anyone wanna explain to me what's so great about Tohsaka Rin?
The only thing close to reasoning I've heard so far is her "Moe-ness".
But seriously...Is that all she has? If so, convert to Grailism and worship a proper loli.
HeartCard
Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: August 3rd, 2008, 1:08 am
Location: Isn't it Sad, Sakura?

Unread postby bloodywyvern » November 12th, 2008, 9:02 am

Meh honestly I don't care all that much for Saber or Sakura, they are decent enough I suppose, Sakura more so than Saber. I'd start a topic along the same lines asking what's the big deal there...but I already know the answers I'd receive.

I'll admit Rin is more of a "you like her or hate her" kind of thing. I find many of the individual parts to her personality quite unappealing, but somehow it just all pulls together nicely. I wish I could explain it, but I have no logical reason to like her as much as I do :shock: She isn't as strong as Saber or as cute as Sakura, but maybe that's a good thing. Got a little of both when she wants to show them.

Or actually, I'm going to shut up because I'm rambling pointlessly. :roll:
bloodywyvern
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 7
Joined: October 14th, 2007, 12:21 pm
Location: USA

Unread postby Raitei » November 12th, 2008, 9:51 am

1. She seems to be the only one (excluding Illya) to be publically talked about by fans to other fans.
nope. ilya isn't even comparable to the other two heroines (saber &sakura) in popularity, if you ask me. *points at saimoe and other tournaments*

also, saber did beat her twice in official popularity poll by nasu. :3 so your argument about her being "overrated" or "get too much attention" is hereby invalid.

2. She just disgusts me when talked about in fanboyish fashions. And yes, I do think that includes /swooon
just because she has the access to many fashion selections doesn't mean she IS the only one who "gets nasu's attention".

also, people like to cosplay as rin more than anyone. simple reason : easy, simple, and clean.

bloodywyvern wrote:]I'll admit Rin is more of a "you like her or hate her" kind of thing.
it's sakura.

actually, I like rin quite a lot, her personality is kinda interesting and appealing to me. it's just I like saber more. :)
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
User avatar
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: August 7th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Location: Distant wilderness

Unread postby Phlebas » November 12th, 2008, 11:31 am

I rather like both Saber and Rin (and don't have anything against Ilya though she's more of a little sister), and even Rider has an interesting personality. Sakura on the other hand just... doesn't have any personality. I do feel for her sad background (even though it does feel pretty forced), but let's face it, even in her own route she's completely lethargic and Rin steals all the spotlights. I don't really have conflicting likings to the characters, since I like most of them, so it's hard to give any "ranking" for them, but Rin or Saber would have to come on top in some order.
Since this thread was about Rin, lessee... both she and Saber are quite tough, that's something I like in them I suppose. Rin is more of an offensive type, and has slight sadistic tendencies, which forces you to be careful around her, that's refreshing. Or something. It's probably no surprise I like Akiha, as well.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
User avatar
Phlebas
Crack Addic!
 
Posts: 163
Joined: February 18th, 2008, 5:45 pm

Unread postby Hawkeye7513 » November 12th, 2008, 12:19 pm

People like Rin because she's like an ogre onion.
She makes you cry.
She has layers.
User avatar
Hawkeye7513
Posting more than n00bs
 
Posts: 25
Joined: April 12th, 2007, 4:21 am
Location: California

Unread postby Raitei » November 12th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Hawkeye7513 wrote:She has layers.
... explain. :P
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
User avatar
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: August 7th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Location: Distant wilderness

Unread postby KratosIrving » November 12th, 2008, 1:15 pm

Hawkeye7513 wrote:She has layers.



:D I get it!

Um...


:oops:
User avatar
KratosIrving
<3 *rip* *splurt*
 
Posts: 205
Joined: October 20th, 2008, 3:11 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Unread postby Gunbladeuser » November 12th, 2008, 2:22 pm

I like her because she has an interesting personality.
On the surface she seems cold-hearted and distant and often doesn't show what she really is thinking.
Generally she avoids showing too much emotions and concentrates on succeeding at whatever she is trying.
That's the cause for one side of her, the image of the "perfect human"; but that also might let you think of her as very egoistic, arrogant etc..

But if you look more closely you realize that inside of her she also holds a lot of wishes, simple and "good" desires and is even quite clumsy - it's just that she tries to hide that side and doesn't even show that side of her to people close to her too much. She actually cares for people and is very "girlish".
That makes her quite cute - beside that she does holds a lot of dignity and beauty (though the latter of course lies within the eyes of the beholder).

Well... that was my short overview and try to explain why I like her. But keep in mind that this is only a kind of rough summary since you can't expect a detailed analysis of her.
That said... just to make things clear:
I like Rin, but she's not the one I like most from Fate/stay night; the ones I like most would be Sakura and Shirou, being then followed by Rin and some other characters...
Last edited by Gunbladeuser on November 12th, 2008, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Gunbladeuser
Addict
 
Posts: 65
Joined: November 8th, 2008, 11:03 pm
Location: Germany

Re: About people liking Rin [Spoilerz]

Unread postby rubberchicken » November 12th, 2008, 2:50 pm

HeartCard wrote:10% I don't like Rin
90% I don't like people who like Rin


Personally, I enjoy the tough, competent female characters in anime and manga. In Fate/Stay Night, she's really the ideal independent heroine: she's smart, tenacious, and resourceful. Even though she tends to be pretty aloof a lot of the time, due to having spent most of her life preparing for an extended duel to the death in order to uphold her family's responsibilities, she still manages to maintain some semblance of a normal life. She has a sense of humor, she makes friends, she nurses a crush on this guy at school that she likes - and she has enough loyalty to these things that when her mission and her "real" life come in conflict, she tries to preserve both, avoiding sacrifices whenever possible. When she does make sacrifices, it's typically her own freedom and safety that she puts on the line, not those of other people - even when it's something like risking her neck to save Shinji's life in UBW when she has every reason to just let him die. She has a lot of admirable qualities - in a story that's filled with characters who've had crappy lives, she's one of the only ones who hasn't allowed her situation to get her down.

Plus, she's hot. Although I definitely think "moe-ness" is one of the dumbest "reasons" to like a character, especially when that seems like it describes 99% of the female characters to come out these days.
rubberchicken
Crack Addic!
 
Posts: 183
Joined: May 14th, 2007, 5:31 pm

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » November 12th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Well ok this is my take for the fanbase for all the girls, so don't get mad at me if I get it wrong. And it's spoiled since it's kind of long.

Saber:

For people that like the peitite blone anime girls. She is also gives of sort of a freindly vibe towards people she likes.

Rin:

For the people that like tomboyish... or is the term tsundarie in any case, she's has that you like her or hate her feel. Although it's because her looks are good, and she is also a genius as well. Sometimes she can be overbearing, and not only that but in some doujins she tends to smack around either Shirou or Archer for doing something idiotic. Also, she has the Kaeido Ruby side of her.

Sakura:

For those who like the obident housewife, or even the yanderie type. She was nice, but in HF they tried to make her to moe, by being clumsy. Although she was like that for a reason, even though it's not that good enough of a reason if you ask me. That and well, you'll like her or hate because of her sexdrive need I say more.

Illya:

For those who like the Germain lolis, need I say more.

Caster:

For those who like the tragic girls. She is one of them, but I have to admit I did like her at one time or another since she seems like a nice lady, but rather misunderstood.

Rider:

Busty and hot, what more do you want from me for an explaination on her? I mean she's the bustiest character in Fate, and possibably in the Nasuverse.
User avatar
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 8:08 pm
Location: Inside the Depletion Garden

Unread postby Atriel » November 12th, 2008, 7:07 pm

I like Arcueid esh is amazing and doesnt afraid of anything.


Now seriously. I'm not her (Rin) fanboy, but she makes me laugh and i kinda like strong women.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: October 21st, 2007, 3:49 am

Unread postby Gunbladeuser » November 12th, 2008, 7:32 pm

@ Kid-Wolf:
Yeah, you did wrote you might be wrong to back yourself up, but... I think that's really, really superficial how you simplify the reasons for liking a certain character. :P
But nice try anyway though nothing of the descriptions apply to me personally (and I suppose I'm not the only one).
User avatar
Gunbladeuser
Addict
 
Posts: 65
Joined: November 8th, 2008, 11:03 pm
Location: Germany

Unread postby KratosIrving » November 12th, 2008, 7:45 pm

Gunbladeuser wrote:@ Kid-Wolf:
Yeah, you did wrote you might be wrong to back yourself up, but... I think that's really, really superficial how you simplify the reasons for liking a certain character. :P
But nice try anyway though nothing of the descriptions apply to me personally (and I suppose I'm not the only one).


I guess I'll throw this out there than. Most of us I'd be willing to bet are guys. As such, most like the qualities that Kid-Wolf presented for Saber, Caster, Sakura and Rider. The ones for Ilya and Rin really only apply to those who watch a lot of Anime/read a lot of Manga.

But as a fundamental part of a guys rule...we like staring at women's chests, so no one needs to find another reason to like Rider.
User avatar
KratosIrving
<3 *rip* *splurt*
 
Posts: 205
Joined: October 20th, 2008, 3:11 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Unread postby Mkilbride » November 12th, 2008, 8:03 pm

What do you mean for "Haruhi's sake"? I've seen that anime, and she's great, but she has pretty much nothing to do with Rin.
User avatar
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 686
Joined: May 20th, 2007, 7:56 pm

Unread postby Gunbladeuser » November 12th, 2008, 8:08 pm

KratosIrving wrote:But as a fundamental part of a guys rule...we like staring at women's chests, so no one needs to find another reason to like Rider.

You're not seriously saying that, are you? ^^"
I could never like someone who is only good-looking and nothing more than that...
And well... of course I can only speak for myself, but I'm not liking Sakura, Rin or Ilya or whoever for the reasons stated there... ^^"
User avatar
Gunbladeuser
Addict
 
Posts: 65
Joined: November 8th, 2008, 11:03 pm
Location: Germany

Unread postby HeartCard » November 12th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Eh, I feel bad for Rider.
Everyone agrees she's the most physically delicious character in the Nasuverse no matter where I go, even coming down to "Rider VS" topics(normally VS Ciel or Sakura. Unless it's an unfair one like VS Illya or VS Ren. Because that's just unfair), but...
It's like she has no fanboys that are as devoted as most Nasu girl fanboys are. All the Rider fans I seem to meet aren't active about her at all lol. WTF?
At most I may see a "Eh...I prefer rider" or "Eh..I'm kinda a Rider fanboy".
I never get the saber fanboys converting and going "GOAWU!!!SHAVER!!!"
Or Illya fanboys "kill me gentley, illya-chan!!!"
Or even sakura fanboys with...Hmmm...Most diverse fanboys here. They have no phrase I've heard twice.
*Ahem* The point is rider has nothing! Not even "Oh chain me up, you sexy gorgon!" or "Nail me harder!"(wonders if anyone will get this reference).


I lol'd at rubberchicken's post, because I realize that it is about 100% correct.
I don't like Rin, but I don't hate her.
But I passionately loathe Rin Fanboys.

Thanks gawz, I feel alots better now that I know the source of my agony.
I'mma be a Rin Fanboy hunter! Wait up, D! I need your stakes and hax hand!

Either way, I guess I'll just treat Rin Fanboys like I treat the Tsukihime fanmade .flash movies that had the odd subname "Lunar Legend".
DO NOT WANT!

EDIT: Btw Mkilbride:
"For Haruhi's Sake" is a rephrase or joke using "For God's Sake". Which is basically the original "OMG".
Haruhi = God
It's a joke. It's like saying "You mother ducker" instead of elsecase. It replaces a word that makes the phrase common and replaces it with lulz.
HeartCard
Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: August 3rd, 2008, 1:08 am
Location: Isn't it Sad, Sakura?

Unread postby Gunbladeuser » November 12th, 2008, 11:11 pm

HeartCard wrote:Everyone agrees she's the most physically delicious character in the Nasuverse no matter where I go

I disagree. :D
User avatar
Gunbladeuser
Addict
 
Posts: 65
Joined: November 8th, 2008, 11:03 pm
Location: Germany

Unread postby Undream » November 12th, 2008, 11:13 pm

Gunbladeuser wrote:
HeartCard wrote:Everyone agrees she's the most physically delicious character in the Nasuverse no matter where I go

I Agree. :D


Me too :D
"...One must wait continuously, one must pursue endlessly.
They must realize that it was impossible to succeed yet
at the same time be capable of enduring patiently.
Is that... the story of a dream that shouldn't be waited upon?..."
Last Episode
User avatar
Undream
Crack Addic!
 
Posts: 197
Joined: March 21st, 2008, 6:07 am
Location: There

Unread postby Gunbladeuser » November 12th, 2008, 11:34 pm

Undream wrote:
Gunbladeuser wrote:
HeartCard wrote:Everyone agrees she's not the most physically delicious character in the Nasuverse no matter where I go

I Agree. :D


Me too :D

Great. ;D
User avatar
Gunbladeuser
Addict
 
Posts: 65
Joined: November 8th, 2008, 11:03 pm
Location: Germany

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » November 13th, 2008, 12:01 am

KratosIrving wrote:
Gunbladeuser wrote:@ Kid-Wolf:
Yeah, you did wrote you might be wrong to back yourself up, but... I think that's really, really superficial how you simplify the reasons for liking a certain character. :P
But nice try anyway though nothing of the descriptions apply to me personally (and I suppose I'm not the only one).


I guess I'll throw this out there than. Most of us I'd be willing to bet are guys. As such, most like the qualities that Kid-Wolf presented for Saber, Caster, Sakura and Rider. The ones for Ilya and Rin really only apply to those who watch a lot of Anime/read a lot of Manga.

But as a fundamental part of a guys rule...we like staring at women's chests, so no one needs to find another reason to like Rider.


Yeah that's true more or less. The looks come first then it's the perosnality, at least I think that's how it goes still.
User avatar
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 8:08 pm
Location: Inside the Depletion Garden

Next

Return to Fate/stay night Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests