About people liking Rin [Spoilerz]

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby supremehyren » November 13th, 2008, 12:05 am

In a word, Tsundere.

Tsundere

I guess some people just don't understand the deliciousness of tsundere...
"No matter how kickass I am, I'll wake up when surrounded by five loud women."

-Tohno Shiki (Drinking, Dreaming Moon)
supremehyren
Might just like this board

Unread postby AlinSabel » November 13th, 2008, 12:18 am

It is the hard-to-get girl who is, in actual fact, not hard to get.

...a dream girl for hikikomori, who find that all girls are 'hard to get', as it is "realistic", yet still gets them the girl!
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby JLA » November 13th, 2008, 12:18 am

supremehyren wrote:In a word, Tsundere.

Tsundere

I agree! But I also like Rin because
I feel that in UBW, it's more of a real love story between Shirou and Rin. And it develops over time after Shirou gets through the layers of Tsun into the delicious Dere.
[/quote]
JLA
Addict

Unread postby supremehyren » November 13th, 2008, 12:31 am

It is the hard-to-get girl who is, in actual fact, not hard to get.

...a dream girl for hikikomori, who find that all girls are 'hard to get', as it is "realistic", yet still gets them the girl!

In fact, you could call it the 'Holy Grail' of otaku. :lol:

Alternatively:

Tsundere
All is a Distant Utopia
"No matter how kickass I am, I'll wake up when surrounded by five loud women."

-Tohno Shiki (Drinking, Dreaming Moon)
supremehyren

Unread postby Atriel » November 13th, 2008, 12:46 am

JLA wrote:I agree! But I also like Rin because
I feel that in UBW, it's more of a real love story between Shirou and Rin. And it develops over time after Shirou gets through the layers of Tsun into the delicious Dere.

Really? For me it was more of an "Archer & Shirou" route. :lol:
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » November 13th, 2008, 12:47 am

Atriel wrote:
JLA wrote:I agree! But I also like Rin because

Really? For me it was more of an "Archer & Shirou" route. :lol:

Seconded. :lol:
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Masterori » November 13th, 2008, 4:20 am

What I don't get is how Can you hate rin lovers when no human is the same. Unless you assume everyone of them goes " RIN IS MOE " Which undoubtfully some does, but not the majority

Why people like rin simple as people above said what she sells is her Tsundere . Tsundere simply put is people that have a " hard " outer shell but is actually " soft " and girlish inside which you usually get to see when they break down or something but with rin case she shows it often ( well somewhat often ). Imagine something like a princess type character they act high and mighty but is actually clumsy and fragile, it's those things that tickle our instinct to love the character.

Like how you like rider the slient-physically attracting type people like rin the tsundere type. And in my eyes you seem to be more complaining that rider has no fanbase ( But undoubtfully she has a large one somewhere.. )then rin having too much of one.

Note : This post was mainly aimed at HeartCard, And just for the sake of it I'm a rin-fanboy ( as much as I am for every other character in the fate stay night cast... well maybe not shinji, yes he should die! ) Feel free wondering around trying to find me and kill me.
Masterori

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » November 13th, 2008, 4:35 am

I don't think it has anything to do with liking or hating Rin with that it's how some Rin lovers tend to go a bit overboard at times. Basically this was due to a PM he got during his Brain Test thread he posted here. Atlhough I'm sure there are other fanboys out there that would go overboard about the character they like in the seires as well. It's bascially how far, or probablly how deeply devoted you are to one of the characters. Persoanlly I worked my way around the girls of this seires. Started wtih Saber, then to Rider, then to Caster, then to Rin, and then to Sakura, and of course to Karen. Oh speaking of her I forgot to mention about her a well.

Karen: does have kind of an odd fanbase if I remeber correctly. Looks like a saint, but talks like a sailor. That and liking the whole Church girls are really naughty. Sometimes I wonder if it's a goood thing to be a memeber of the Church at times though, just because of girls like her.

Since I'm finishing up with the major grils in the Fate seires I might as well try a hand a Bazzett.

Bazzett: The only think I can come up with is total tomboy. I cna't really think of anything else since I haven't seen much of her, and I'm not good at reading Japanesse either.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby HeartCard » November 13th, 2008, 10:36 am

Karen is a Sadist, pure and simpe(and hawt somehow). Her fanbase is low because of her origin. She's only in Fate/Hot Action...I mean Hollow Ataraxia. And in that story she's rather sadistic at times. She makes Rin's moments seem like tripping over a twig. I still remembering almost dieing from laughter with a doujinshi I found(in japanese, sorry) that showed Lancer+Gilg looking in on her.
I think it was called Lovely Lovely...Or maybe Lovely Karen? Or...Maybe it just repeats her name twice. Well it's one of those three.
Cu:"She's...pretty peaceful while she's asleep."
Gil:"Hmm...What is she dreaming about?"
Karen(In her sleep):"Mmmm tee hee. Castration...hehehe...mmm...devastate that filthy pre-ejactulating masturbationist with metal...tee hee"
I shat Gates of Lulz while screaming how appropriate that seemed for her.

Bazzette...Well...She's a guy...in a woman's body...And she's pretty...I dunno macho at times. I almost expect her to start singing popeye's theme song sometimes.

And no, The rider thing isn't really a "gawd I hate that it's this way", I just pointed it out.

Fortunately, I'm abit psychotic, so I tend to drift off from the topic if I'm allowed. >_>

And that ONE PM I got during the brain test was only the spark that lit the fuse, the gunpowder had been stacking for awhile.
I'm one of the people who play Warcraft 3(though at this point, purely for the later mentioned game) and play Fate/Another(The Fate/Stay Night Hero Arena WC3 map. Now with Avenger and Fate/Zero Berserker! That's right, it's now with 20% more win!). And it seems the only FANBOYS that play that are Rin Fanboys. With the exception of the Rider Fangirl, the Garcher Fangirl, and the the other people who still cannot decide between Rin and Illya.

Oh. And I want to clear this up while my memory retains what I wanted to clear up:
You're using a twisted and newer/incorrect meaning to "Tsundere".

A Tsundere character originally was a character who goes through a GRADUAL CHANGE throughout a series. Rin is not such. She does not change, she shows her feelings, but that's not a change at all since she does that from the start. Her character does not change in the series, thus she's not a Tsundere by the original meaning...
But in this day and age...I suppose I am somewhat used to new and incorrect meanings being used over older and more proper ones...

btw Masterori: Your statement is contradictory, is it not? You cannot understand how I can hate a mass of people I do not know, on the basis that everyone is different? Well, maybe that is less contradictory and more hypocritcsy.
I can hate them because I am different from you. I can hate people I do not know, I have that ability. I can hate anyone, for any reason, so long as I choose to. It is by the same reasoning that says you cannot understand my hatred of people that should tell you my hatred of people is completely understandable.
Masterori is different from HeartCard, it is as simple as that.

Let's move on before I put on a navy blue coat and a gold cross necklace and have to extensively cut my hair.

At this point, I think it should be clear that, I do not like Rin. I do not hate her at this point, but I generally do not like her. No matter the reasoning beyond it, I suppose it really boils down that I do not like her. It is almost a neutral feeling, but it leans more closely to malice than neutrality.
But something about the average(from what I've seen, spanning hundreds of rin fanboys) rin fanboy irks and disgusts me.

But something I would like to see is a Shinji fanboy. Truely he is a character someone like me felt truely sad when he died, purely because his death was far too instant to be anything but unfair to Sakura...and the reader too...
But I do not find him vulgar or disgusting, more rather that he is pitiful, pathetic, and almost a lower level of life.
But it still interests me to find a Shinji fanboy. I enjoy hearing others arguements in pointless opinion based matters. Sometimes I relate to the opinions, sometimes it brings new information, sometimes it changes my opinion, and sometimes it is just simple entertainment with benefits.

I thank you all personally for helping me blow my steam. I will be back to check on the progress of the topic, as I would still love to hear more of the pro-rin side of the arguement. But...
Let's make it interesting and keep away from her "Moe" or "Tsundere" appeal.
Aside from the fact that it seems to be the thing about her that irks me due to it being the thing the "average" rin fanboy brings up an extensive amount,
I would like to hear of what people(the fanboys namely) think of her Other qualities.
HeartCard
Addict

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » November 13th, 2008, 11:29 pm

I think you're taking about A Day in the Life of Karen-san with that doujin you're talking about. Very funny stuff though.

As for Rin I can only guess her personality is what she's got going ofr her. Aside from that she does have that I'll fight to the bitter end kind of thing. Also, you can kind of compare her to Tohno Akiha since they both have the same kind of position more or less. The only differences between those two would be Akiha has her Vermillion side which kind of makes her out to be something like Dark Sakura... we persona wise of course noth strength wise.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby KratosIrving » November 13th, 2008, 11:36 pm

Kid-Wolf wrote:I think you're taking about A Day in the Life of Karen-san with that doujin you're talking about. Very funny stuff though.

Yeah, the bit at the end was hilarious to that doujin.

Lancer: She sure is cute when she's sleeping. Wonder why?

Karen: *tosses in her sleep* Heheheh, castration. Punish that premature ejaculator...

Lancer & Gil: *gulp*, cower and quietly retreat
KratosIrving
<3 *rip* *splurt*

Unread postby Atriel » November 14th, 2008, 3:21 am

I've read a bit about Karen before and i have since then been dying to read Hollow. It seems i'm going to laught a lot with her.

I know nothing about Bazette (sp?) though.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby cookedcelery » November 14th, 2008, 3:49 am

I like Rin because
She's the only one with an ending where almost NOBODY DIES.

But, IMHO, I'd much rather hook up with Kotomine or Sakura than Rin if given the choice.
(Kotomine's sadism/ Sakura's yandere is irresistable to my masochistic side.)
cookedcelery
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby HeartCard » November 14th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Kirei is epic BUFF.
He could cosplay as zerker.
That HF scene made me go "...Well dayum shirou. You're screwed. Shirt-only Kirei looks like the Governator."

Atriel: Bazette is lancer's original master.
Which of course means the only master in the Fate series who is not revealed is Caster's original master lol.
HeartCard
Addict

Unread postby flurk » December 6th, 2008, 3:43 pm

rin fanboy here. i'm not like SUPER RIN FANBOY OMGZ, but she's definitely my favourite character in fsn

1) tsundere is the word. (screw it if i'm using the "new/twisted version of the word", the point is that you get what i mean.)

2) she's brilliant. 'why', you ask?
- talking taiga into letting her stay in shirou's mansion? pretty impressive.
- talking saber into letting shirou go to school without her? very impressive, considering her reasoning for that.
- kicked berserker's ass (in the face actually) and "doesn't afraid of anything". how often do you hear a magus defeat a servant? (shirou aside, he's gil's natural counter, and archer let him win)
- possibly bi? freaking love!
- didn't talk saber and shirou into performing in a lousy h-scene, instead taking the lead and seducing them both into it. too damn good, don't you think?

3) she's not a wannabe queen, she acts like a queen because she is a queen. she's the 'second owner' of fuyuki city, duh. acting "prim and proper / stuck up / nose in the air" is all part of her duty/desire to uphold the reputation of her family, being elites. it's ronery, you know T3T. definitely not easy to do.

4) nice hair :3 i like how they turn wavy at the tip, just like mine.

5) Ueda Kana's voice just grew on me. (yes, this is 100% personal taste, doesn't really contribute to the topic)

6) that scene in UBW
when she asked archer to stay
was pure ;_; awww

7) isn't she much more interesting than saber + sakura + ilya
(perhaps not rider, i haven't finished my HF)
combined?
sure, saber is the perfect match for shirou, is blonde, looks loli, chivalrous, gentle, humble
sure, sakura has big jugs, is a schoolgirl/housewife, is shy and stuff, overall an innocent teenager
sure, illya is a superior german loli (;)@kiraiya) and wincest

but what do they all have in common? predictability. they're all just so straightforward.
you can always expect saber to sit japanese-style in the dojo or quietly drink tea,
sakura to be cooking or doing other housework,
illya to be running/spinning around or swinging her legs on a chair/table playfully etc.
what about rin? she's versatile in that regard.
(although i may not be able to think of a typical thing that she'll do because i'm biased into liking her :P)

i dunno about you, but i'm rather attracted to smart girls.

EDIT:
laugh at me for referring to wikipedia, but i believe they make sense:

Tsundere (ツンデレ, Tsundere?) is a Japanese character archetype that describes a conceited, spikey, combative personality that later on turns to being modest and loving. It can also describe a personality that is good-willed, but its attitude and actions often contradict its nature.

...and

Tsundere is a combination of the two words tsuntsun (ツンツン, tsuntsun?), and deredere (デレデレ, deredere?). Tsuntsun is defined as "aloof, morose, pointed", and deredere is defined as "exhausted, lovestruck".
Sir Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?
King Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.
flurk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » December 6th, 2008, 4:16 pm

Ok with that it seems shes more like a tsuntusn then a tsundere if you ask me. I mean she doesn't really show off much of a romatic side, but she does show of a perverted side. Also, if she does go tsundere it's usually around Saber more or less since pretty much the yuriness there is kind of implyed if you ask me.

As for the diplomatic skills I can admit that's someting that she neaturally has going for her aside from knowing how to use her magic. I mean this girls is pratically the tatician thoughout the Visual Novel, Manga, or even that anime.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby Watashimo » December 6th, 2008, 4:20 pm

I'm a Rin fanboy :O

I like Rin because:
1. She is very energetic.
2. She enjoys having fun and making jokes (even if its just making fun of others)
3. She is smart. (I personally hate dumb girls)
4. I really enjoyed the romance that developed between her and Shirou. I felt it was the most realistic. (Saber's seemed to happen too fast while Sakura's didn't feel true, I dunno why).
5. She is true to herself in that, even if its not something a true magus would do (like helping out Shirou), she does so because she wants to.
6. She isn't perfect like they try to make you believe in the beginning.
7. She has a soft side to her despite how she acts normally, yes you would call her Tsundere.
8. To me, she is beautiful.
9. I like her voice actor too!
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby eharper256 » December 7th, 2008, 10:38 am

supremehyren wrote:In a word, Tsundere.

Tsundere

I Concur!

The most delicious snacks are the ones you must work for. :twisted:

Seriously though, she's the most 'human' and 'postmodern' girl of them all. Honourable, chivalrous, quiet girls like Saber, and perfect housewife tragic past yanderes like Sakura simply don't exist (or are certainly rare) outside of anime cliches.

Rin is a self proclaimed princess and a bit of a bitch, true, but she's also independent, courageous, cunning, scary, fast-talking, intelligent, lovable, bad with mornings and wears Neko pyjamas!

Hot damn, now if that isn't a respectable list of character features, I don't know what is... :wink:
"If the world's a stage, and the people are actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

My Blog, Detarame.
eharper256
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Nerroth » December 8th, 2008, 2:06 am

While I'm quite a fan of Rin myself (and of Saber, for that matter) I feel that some of the views of Sakura which have been posted here don't do the plum-haired lady justice.

The whole problem that Sakura has had throughout her life is that, despite any evidence to the contrary, she's been treated as second-best, to put it mildly.

Born into a family which looked down at her because she was the 'spare' to the Tohsaka 'heir', handed over to a pack of monsters who made a habit of demeaning and castigating her, and forcing herself to hide all of this behind an 'innocent' facade in front of others, even (or rather, especially) to those she'd most desperately want to reach out to, she's been cruelly denied the chance to see herself as the kind of wonderful person she truly is, or harness the kind of potential she can find with the right encouragement and guidance.

But it doesn't have to be that way.

If one can find a way in a Fate- or UBW-derived timeline to free her from the Matou (since Nasu was un-generous enough to leave Zouken's post-War role unclear in either story) she could finally have the chance to reach out for something more, assuming one can find a person (or group of people) who can help her find her feet and look beyond the narrow world she had been trapped in up to that point.

Who can help her see the best in herself.

Who can reach out and caress her hurt mind and spirit, and do their best to bring them to the level that should have been at all along.

Who would tell her every day how wonderful she truly is.

(I'm not sure whether or not Shirou is the partner to do that, however. He's a nice guy who would do anything for her, but I don't know if he'd be sharp or considerate enough to try and help her break out of the mould she would have found herself in - at least without Rin trying to stir her onwards. Rather, he's the kind of guy who needs a woman like Rin, who is already at the kind of stage Sakura could one day be, to help him break out of his own mould.)

I can see why some might label her as being 'merely' the house-wife-ey kind of person...

...but for what little it's worth, I see Sakura as (or, at least, having the potential to be) so much more.
Nerroth
Crack Desu!

Unread postby flurk » December 17th, 2008, 5:52 pm

^sounds like what a guy in a movie would say about the women he loves. what a fan.
i'm sorry about my narrow perspective of sakura, because i haven't played HF

eharper256 wrote:wears Neko pyjamas!

HOLY F-ING SHIT HOW COULD I FORGET TO MENTION THAT?!?!?
Sir Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?
King Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.
flurk
Crack Addic!

PreviousNext

Return to Fate/stay night Chat