Using F/SN in linux?

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Using F/SN in linux?

Unread postby Nothing » November 2nd, 2008, 11:28 am

Ok, quick and to the point. I have linux (ubuntu 8.04, nothing complex for now) and have been trying to play f/sn. I already have the completed folder with every file needed to play from my secondary drive from an old computer that I can't use anymore, so is there any way to play it here?

And say the words 'virtual machine' and help me lord I will go homicidal on you. Tried it... way too slow and laggy to use (I actually got to read six f@#king lines in roughly half an hour, after waiting a full hour or so for 3.1 patch to install. Whoohoo.) so I was wondering if there is any way to at least use it in Wine? Or maybe a way to compile it to just... ya know, run?

Tired, grouchy, and now omnicidal from losing the linux/fsn war with my computer.
Nothing
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Thomas_PL » November 2nd, 2008, 2:38 pm

Just install the game and read the HOWTO (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=11232&iTestingId=22494)...the game will work fine. You don't need to compile anything.
Thomas_PL
Totally hardly posted

Re: Using F/SN in linux?

Unread postby phib » November 2nd, 2008, 5:04 pm

Nothing wrote:Ok, quick and to the point. I have linux (ubuntu 8.04, nothing complex for now) and have been trying to play f/sn. I already have the completed folder with every file needed to play from my secondary drive from an old computer that I can't use anymore, so is there any way to play it here?

And say the words 'virtual machine' and help me lord I will go homicidal on you. Tried it... way too slow and laggy to use (I actually got to read six f@#king lines in roughly half an hour, after waiting a full hour or so for 3.1 patch to install. Whoohoo.) so I was wondering if there is any way to at least use it in Wine? Or maybe a way to compile it to just... ya know, run?

Tired, grouchy, and now omnicidal from losing the linux/fsn war with my computer.

What virtual machine soft you tried? Game runs perfectly in vmware... Unless you have a Pentium 2.
phib
Addict

Unread postby Alucard » November 2nd, 2008, 5:39 pm

I use VirtualBox on my laptop and F/SN plays just fine in it.

I attempted to get F/SN to work in Wine before -- probably before UBW -- but didn't get it. You may have better luck with Wine now.

Also, Crossover Linux Pro was free the other day, did you get a copy? When Debian 5.0 becomes Stable (Real Soon Now), I'ma reinstall Debian Testing and try to avoid Wine, and see how Crossover works.
Eternity is wasted upon the likes of you.
Alucard
Addict

Unread postby Nothing » November 2nd, 2008, 7:00 pm

Using VMware (have pentium 4), its the only emulator that seemed to work with my computer... I looked around, just slighly lacking memory for it to run quickly I guess, been needing some more but lack funds... Guess I'll try wine then, I can always stop the game and watch the movie on youtube or something... Dammit...
Nothing
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Trail » November 3rd, 2008, 7:48 am

After the translation patch 2.0 (UBW) they somehow changed the japanese locale to english, so now regular wine from repos can run F/SN without issues at all. Except it can't play the video of course.
Trail
Might just like this board

Unread postby Nothing » November 3rd, 2008, 3:58 pm

No - it used to work for me for UBW patch in Wine too, but apparently (for me at least) the HF patch negates that, as all I now get is a blank error message and a white screen/crash in Wine.

But good news, people!! :D

If you had the same issue that I did (vmware workstation 6.5 too slow on lower spec computer), here is a fix workaround:
It turns out that VMware 6.5 uses up a lot more physical memory just to run at recommended speed than version 6.0.4 does - for me, the needed amount of memory jumped by almost 40. If version 6.5 is too slow, find and install version 6.0.4 and you can play it with no lag! (For very lower spec memories, task manager's priority shift really helps.)
Nothing
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby mrthefter » November 12th, 2008, 8:31 am

It still works for me under wine. Pretty well, too.
Except for some issues with winealsa/pulseaudio. So I just use OSS and padsp, works a charm.

Unfortunately, this is a rather old machine, so OpenGL wasn't an option, so I'm using GDI.
mrthefter
Totally hardly posted

Return to Fate/stay night Chat