v.3.1: fate freezing (program problems)

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

v.3.1: fate freezing (program problems)

Unread postby NonExistence » November 2nd, 2008, 5:26 am

i remember posting this problem in the v.2.0. bug report, which everyone promptly ignored. so this time i'll create an entire topic for it hoping that that will catch people's eyes.

basically, here's how it goes:

1. i start playing the game.
2. some period of time passes.
3. game spontaneously decides to freeze. it's always during an effect, it always involves having 50% of my cpu being used by the program, fate.exe's memory usage turns about twice as big as usual, and it has to be force-closed. afterwards, usually another process starts doing the same thing. and in certain other cases, this will continue until my compy crashes.

it's been a problem since v.2.0, it's still there in the full version, it can't be caused by a virus on my compy because i had to wipe and recover the OS two days ago, and it can't be caused by another program because of the same reason; right now there's nothing on my compy other than the ones that came w/ it.

i run a windows xp service pack 2 on an HP w/ 2 gigs of ram and 2.41 gHz cpu, so i don't think it's any problems w/ the computer not able to handle it. i'm fairly sure that i'm the only one this is happening to but it's annoying and i want to be able to play fate/stay night like everyone else *tear*. oh, and i have nvidia and therefore nview if that helps.

any advice or help is appreciated. thx.

one more thing. the longer the interval between two playings, the longer the game runs before freezing.
NonExistence
Crack Addic!

Location: The Strong and Free Giant Block of Ice in the True North

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » November 2nd, 2008, 5:30 am

Ah check the task manager, then check the process pageand then end the task for the rundll32.exe that is the main reason why the game normally freezes up. Also, I think this was answered inteh 1.0 patch though. Although it's best to do that beofre you start playing the game just incase though. After doing that I haven't had any problems though.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby NonExistence » November 2nd, 2008, 5:52 am

... rundll32.exe? you mean THE rundll32.exe? the one that (i think) is supposed to read the essential dll files for the windows system to operate? THAT rundll32.exe?

... ah well. i'm willing to try anything to get it to work. but preferably without doing something that drastic. i will resort to it if necessary though.
NonExistence
Crack Addic!

Location: The Strong and Free Giant Block of Ice in the True North

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » November 2nd, 2008, 5:55 am

Well it works fine and doesn't freeze up the game at all when I've done it. Never the less it's probablly becuase the viedo card, or possibably the RAM for the Pc isn't high enough. Well that's my guess on the idea thoguh.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Return to Fate/stay night Chat