Translation error in UBW? (Re: Implied lesbian sequence.)

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 30th, 2008, 5:56 am

Well, the Servant involved.

Anywhoo, I think the point was:
...That means all problems have been resolved.
Then what's left is------

...what's left? Definitely the fight Rin and Shirou were engaged in prior to being attacked by someone else. And finding the unconscious girl.
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread postby Iiyo » October 30th, 2008, 6:30 am

Yes, that is what's left, but Shirou points out that Rin's reaction is a misunderstanding, so she wasn't thinking about what Shirou was thinking. Plus, when Shirou asked whether Rin wanted to continue the fight from before, a new look of surprise appeared. So, clearly, that was not on her mind.

Finding the unconscious girl isn't really left. The unconscious girl is taken care of.

Wiiown wrote:I explained it terribly with my horrible grammar, but I really do believe in this case Rin was just saying that she would never resort to that method of gaining energy (killing people), not that she had lesbian sex with an unconscious person to restore their mana. Maybe I am misunderstanding the context though but wasn't the unconscious person
a result of that asshole Shinji?

Nah, I understood it the first time around. It's just that I don't have much to say other than that I don't see that being the case.
Iiyo
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 43
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 30th, 2008, 7:43 am

Well, there is the fight and the dealing with the unknown (at the time) Master.

Perhaps what Shirou meant was the unknown Master, and Rin thought he was asking about her attacking him.
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread postby Iiyo » October 30th, 2008, 8:15 am

I don't think your explanation justifies the delivery and context of the line. I'm much more inclined to believe that Tohsaka managed to create lesbian innuendo by herself about the idea of "mana restoration," and I'm tempted to go with the possibility that she might really have done that, considering her apparent need to awkwardly deny something Shirou wasn't even thinking about, but for some reason she was. Not to mention that "mana restoration" would solve the drained girl's problem and the nurse's office (with a bed) is a convenient location for it.
Iiyo
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 43
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 30th, 2008, 9:17 am

...so somehow, Tohsaka managed to transfer fluids from her body to the girl?

There's a reason why she says it's easy for Shirou to 'recharge' Saber because Saber's a girl. -_-;;

I think you're looking for more than is actually there. 'As if I'd attack you after this'. -_-;;
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread postby Iiyo » October 30th, 2008, 9:31 am

AlinSabel wrote:...so somehow, Tohsaka managed to transfer fluids from her body to the girl?

Ew, I was hoping the conversation wouldn't take this direction, but, um, there are a couple of ways.

AlinSabel wrote:I think you're looking for more than is actually there. 'As if I'd attack you after this'. -_-;;

I think you're looking to deny the idea without entertaining it. As I see it, it's completely plausible, explains everything, and nothing you've said disproves that.
Iiyo
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 43
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 30th, 2008, 9:49 am

Yeah, I'm aware of such, but it's just going a bit to too much trouble when one party is unconscious. -_-;; Unless you're implying Rin is into unresponsive lovers or something. -_-;;

While Rin may display bisexual tendencies, she would have had to... do a lot of troublesome things within a fairly short amount of time. Nothing you've said has proved it either.

And anyway, original text reads "Huh? W-why are you staring at me? H-hey, I won't do something like that!", right? 'Won't' meaning 'will not' -> something happening in the future? I highly doubt Taka would make a mistake with the tense. :P
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread postby Zensunni » October 30th, 2008, 10:13 am

If she says that she won't do it, does that mean she ordered Archer to? And that's the reason he's not there yet.. :P

Seriously though I'm sure Shirou was just worried that Rin would continue attacking him, and she goes all tsundere when admitting that she won't. The creator of this topic must have been reading the VN through his perv-glasses. :P
Zensunni
Addict
 
Posts: 100
Joined: February 1st, 2008, 3:15 pm

Unread postby Iiyo » October 30th, 2008, 11:56 am

AlinSabel wrote:Yeah, I'm aware of such, but it's just going a bit to too much trouble when one party is unconscious. -_-;; Unless you're implying Rin is into unresponsive lovers or something. -_-;;

While Rin may display bisexual tendencies, she would have had to... do a lot of troublesome things within a fairly short amount of time. Nothing you've said has proved it either.

Not seeking to prove, merely to point out it's rather plausible. And who said the girl had to be unconscious during it?

AlinSabel wrote:And anyway, original text reads "Huh? W-why are you staring at me? H-hey, I won't do something like that!", right? 'Won't' meaning 'will not' -> something happening in the future? I highly doubt Taka would make a mistake with the tense. :P

Um, actually, the whole point of the thread was, in fact, that I do believe he made a mistake there. Moreover, there is no future tense in Japanese. It's all up to subjective interpretation whether the action takes place in the future or not.
Iiyo
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 43
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Unread postby Wiiown » October 30th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Admittedly what you say is possible, but there isn't any real evidence for the claim so it's pretty much a pointless argument. The chance of Rin deciding to restore the girl's mana just seems to be unlikely compared to any of the alternatives.
Wiiown
Crack Addic!
 
Posts: 172
Joined: October 11th, 2008, 8:32 am

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 30th, 2008, 10:23 pm

And 'there is no future tense in Japanese'? I asked in the mm irc channel - there certainly is one, just it may be a bit ambiguous - i.e., relies on context to determine which tense it is.
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread postby Inverted » October 30th, 2008, 10:43 pm

LOL! You can interpret it as whatever you wish . Drown in your fantasies and enjoy.
User avatar
Inverted
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 263
Joined: February 2nd, 2008, 7:25 pm

Unread postby Wiiown » October 30th, 2008, 10:59 pm

Inverted wrote:LOL! You can interpret it as whatever you wish . Drown in your fantasies and enjoy.


Are you about to kick him off the stairs?
Wiiown
Crack Addic!
 
Posts: 172
Joined: October 11th, 2008, 8:32 am

Unread postby Iiyo » October 30th, 2008, 11:13 pm

AlinSabel wrote:And 'there is no future tense in Japanese'? I asked in the mm irc channel - there certainly is one, just it may be a bit ambiguous - i.e., relies on context to determine which tense it is.

Um, that's not quite true. I don't mean to argue, but there seems to be a misunderstanding, so I'll explain:

In fact, there is no actual future tense in Japanese. What they probably meant is that usually you can tell whether the action takes place in the future or not by the context, which is true. So, like I said, "it's all up to subjective interpretation whether the action takes place in the future or not." That's why I think TakaJun simply made a mistake. It's not that weird or unusual.

Inverted wrote:LOL! You can interpret it as whatever you wish . Drown in your fantasies and enjoy.

Mhm. People are free to believe whatever they want to. ;)
Iiyo
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 43
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 30th, 2008, 11:19 pm

Like others have said, Shirou has no idea you can do it at that point.

You really just want to believe she savagely raped a knocked out girl. Is it in her personality? Sure, but did she? I seriously doubt it. I also don't think you can be critical on his translations.
User avatar
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 686
Joined: May 20th, 2007, 7:56 pm

Unread postby Uberoy » October 30th, 2008, 11:55 pm

Maybe you should post this in the "F/sn Typo/Grammar Mistake Report [v2.0]" topic if you want someone to check it out.
But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
User avatar
Uberoy
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 339
Joined: May 4th, 2008, 9:11 pm
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Unread postby Iiyo » October 31st, 2008, 1:47 am

Wiiown wrote:Admittedly what you say is possible, but there isn't any real evidence for the claim so it's pretty much a pointless argument.

I know. I just thought it was an interesting way to explain the situation.

Wiiown wrote:The chance of Rin deciding to restore the girl's mana just seems to be unlikely compared to any of the alternatives.

That's the thing, though, I can't think of any alternatives.

Mkilbride wrote:Like others have said, Shirou has no idea you can do it at that point.

Um, what's your point?

Mkilbride wrote:You really just want to believe she savagely raped a knocked out girl.

Actually, no, I don't. I just started wondering "what was Rin talking about when she mentioned she wouldn't do something like that?" and came to this conclusion, which is not savage rape or raping an unconscious girl.

Mkilbride wrote:Is it in her personality? Sure,

O_O

Wait wait wait. Rewind. Did you really just say "savagely raping a knocked out girl" is in Rin's personality? WHAT? *cringes*

Mkilbride wrote:but did she? I seriously doubt it.

Savage rape, ofc not. Kinda involuntary sex to save a girl from dying, on the other hand, sure.

Mkilbride wrote:I also don't think you can be critical on his translations.

Now that's just silly.

Uberoy wrote:Maybe you should post this in the "F/sn Typo/Grammar Mistake Report [v2.0]" topic if you want someone to check it out.

Sure thing. ;)

I didn't see that thread when I first posted this one. The purpose of this thread was mostly to report that, and maybe have a fun conversation about the possibility. Instead it kinda got derailed into people telling me that I'm wrong, and, while I don't mind people disagreeing with me (Heck, I never even said I believed it myself, just that it makes a lot of sense to me.), I'd rather just have it be about, well, the "what if that is what happened?"
Last edited by Iiyo on October 31st, 2008, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iiyo
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 43
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 31st, 2008, 1:48 am

Shirou was thinking about the third party who had interrupted the battle, Rin was thinking about continuing the attack on Shirou.

If it was Mitsuzuri (lol - can't be though, she disappears at some other point and is found), then maybe Rin and Mitsuzuri were involved... maybe...
in an RN scene, Shirou is shown a dream of Rin and Mitsuzuri together. XD
But Rin doesn't seem like the kind of person who would jack off when she just got attacked by an unknown assailant. o.o
Last edited by AlinSabel on October 31st, 2008, 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread postby Wiiown » October 31st, 2008, 1:58 am

Well the other alternatives were already stated as possibilities by myself and others, but as I said what you say is possible just unlikely to me. However if we were to assume what you said was true for the sake of discussion........hot.
Wiiown
Crack Addic!
 
Posts: 172
Joined: October 11th, 2008, 8:32 am

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 31st, 2008, 2:08 am

Wiiown wrote:Well the other alternatives were already stated as possibilities by myself and others, but as I said what you say is possible just unlikely to me. However if we were to assume what you said was true for the sake of discussion........hot.

You're into taking advantage of unconscious girls, when there may or may not be other methods to benefit them? @_@
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Fate/stay night Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

cron