Translation error in UBW? (Re: Implied lesbian sequence.)

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Translation error in UBW? (Re: Implied lesbian sequence.)

Unread postby Iiyo » October 30th, 2008, 1:38 am

This takes place shortly after the sequence where Rin tries to take Shirou's command spell by force.

"Hold on, Tohsaka. How's that girl...!?"
"She's doing better. She's sleeping in the nurse's office now, so her life's not in danger."
"------------I see. That's good."
I sigh with relief.
...That means all problems have been resolved.
Then what's left is------
"Huh? W-why are you staring at me? H-hey, I wouldn't do something like that!"
I don't know how she misunderstood.


The translation text reads "won't," but I'm guessing it missed the subtext, which you have to pay careful attention to to completely grasp.

For those of you not quite seeing it, here's a recap of what happened:

Rin: "She has her magical energy drained. She'll die if we let her be."
Shirou: "You take care of her, kthxbai."
Sometime later, Rin shows up and mentions that the girl is fine and sleeping in the nurse's office now.
And then, Rin suddenly awkwardly blurts, "Huh? W-why are you staring at me? H-hey, I wouldn't do something like that!"

Y'know, the explanation makes too much sense.
Iiyo
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 43
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 30th, 2008, 1:47 am

Shirou is still unaware at this point that having sex would result in a transfer of energy. I think.

I don't think that's wrong - the battle between the two is what's left unresolved, as there is now a third party involved who is harming others.
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Re: Translation error in UBW? (Re: Implied lesbian sequence.

Unread postby Wiiown » October 30th, 2008, 1:53 am

Iiyo wrote:This takes place shortly after the sequence where Rin tries to take Shirou's command spell by force.

"Hold on, Tohsaka. How's that girl...!?"
"She's doing better. She's sleeping in the nurse's office now, so her life's not in danger."
"------------I see. That's good."
I sigh with relief.
...That means all problems have been resolved.
Then what's left is------
"Huh? W-why are you staring at me? H-hey, I wouldn't do something like that!"
I don't know how she misunderstood.


The translation text reads "won't," but I'm guessing it missed the subtext, which you have to pay careful attention to to completely grasp.

For those of you not quite seeing it, here's a recap of what happened:

Rin: "She has her magical energy drained. She'll die if we let her be."
Shirou: "You take care of her, kthxbai."
Sometime later, Rin shows up and mentions that the girl is fine and sleeping in the nurse's office now.
And then, Rin suddenly awkwardly blurts, "Huh? W-why are you staring at me? H-hey, I wouldn't do something like that!"

Y'know, the explanation makes too much sense.


I believe this is more a case of
I swear I didn't suck the life force out of that girl and just because I'm fighting in the holy grail war doesn't mean I would kill innocents to win. This sounds more like what she is saying based on the context.
Wiiown
Crack Addic!
 
Posts: 172
Joined: October 11th, 2008, 8:32 am

Unread postby gexer64 » October 30th, 2008, 1:59 am

AlinSabel wrote:Shirou is still unaware at this point that having sex would result in a transfer of energy. I think.


Shirou knew that before FSN story began, shown during the scene with in the scene with the two girls in Illya's forest in the fate route.
In a single answer lies a thousand questions.
User avatar
gexer64
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 342
Joined: August 9th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Unread postby Iiyo » October 30th, 2008, 2:00 am

AlinSabel wrote:Shirou is still unaware at this point that having sex would result in a transfer of energy. I think.

Mhm, but we, the audience, know.

Is there any other method we know of that Rin could use to solve the problem (low mana/lifeforce)?
Iiyo
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 43
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 30th, 2008, 2:04 am

gexer64 wrote:
AlinSabel wrote:Shirou is still unaware at this point that having sex would result in a transfer of energy. I think.


Shirou knew that before FSN story began, shown during the scene with in the scene with the two girls in Illya's forest in the fate route.

That sentence didn't quite make sense... but I get what you mean.

And checking up the scene... no, he says he doesn't know of any way to heal Saber, as he lacks mana replenishment skills. And Shirou goes 'Hold on. You say the Master gives energy, but how do I do that?'
...and then Tohsaka tells him how to do it. -_-;;

And technically, the audience DOESN'T know it's to have sex until that scene. If you'd never read about F/SN, you shouldn't know. :P And no, there isn't another way. If Shirou revoked his bond with Saber and Rin bonded with Saber instead (with one command spell left), sure. But maybe Saber wouldn't last the few seconds or something.
Last edited by AlinSabel on October 30th, 2008, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread postby KratosIrving » October 30th, 2008, 2:05 am

gexer64 wrote:
AlinSabel wrote:Shirou is still unaware at this point that having sex would result in a transfer of energy. I think.


Shirou knew that before FSN story began, shown during the scene with in the scene with the two girls in Illya's forest in the fate route.


Nah, Rin explains right before the scene that it's Shirou's last option to give mana to Saber, due to him being impotent in the normal exchange. 8)
User avatar
KratosIrving
<3 *rip* *splurt*
 
Posts: 205
Joined: October 20th, 2008, 3:11 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 30th, 2008, 2:20 am

LOL impotent.

And if you're asking how Rin stabilised the girl - the girl is capable of recovering her own natural energy. Saber is not.
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread postby KratosIrving » October 30th, 2008, 2:25 am

I'm surprised I haven't heard it before, actually. I mean come on, the joke's too perfect.

If it was the other way around, the Saber-chibi in the Tiger Dojo scenes would probably look like the lone Sakura at the top of this forum.


(Now that I think of it, why are there only 1 Saber and Sakura, yet about 30 Rins in that mountain of chibi-ness?) :?
User avatar
KratosIrving
<3 *rip* *splurt*
 
Posts: 205
Joined: October 20th, 2008, 3:11 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Unread postby Iiyo » October 30th, 2008, 2:39 am

AlinSabel wrote:And if you're asking how Rin stabilised the girl - the girl is capable of recovering her own natural energy. Saber is not.

Um...

1) Saber does recover her own natural energy, she said so herself in Fate route. The problem was that she was running too low for that to be enough.
2) As for this girl, same problem. I'll quote Rin on this: "She'll die if we let her be" - and she explicitly explains that it's because the girl is nearly devoid of life/mana inside.

Well, it's fine if you disagree with my interpretation, but that's how I see it, and it makes a lot of sense to me.

Anyhow, I think we can at least agree the translation should be changed, right?
Last edited by Iiyo on October 30th, 2008, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iiyo
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 43
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 30th, 2008, 2:41 am

Iiyo wrote:
AlinSabel wrote:And if you're asking how Rin stabilised the girl - the girl is capable of recovering her own natural energy. Saber is not.


Um...

1) Saber does recover her own natural energy, she said so herself in Fate route. The problem was that she was running too low for that to be enough.
2) As for this girl, same problem. I'll quote Rin on this: "She'll die if we let her be" - and she explicitly explains that it's because the girl is nearly devoid of life/mana inside.

Well, it's fine if you don't want to accept my interpretation, but that's how I see it, and it makes a lot of sense to me.


1. No she can't. She can merely extend the time within which she can use the energy she has.
2. Dunno about this one... XD Perhaps she fed her a jewel or something. Wonder why they didn't do that for Saber though... -_-;;
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread postby KratosIrving » October 30th, 2008, 3:00 am

For that first point, Saber can't replenish her own mana; that crap was made up for the Anime. The reason she sleeps is to prolong her existence because sleeping lowers the amount of mana used to the bare minimum so she can maintain her body.

While that subject is up, I'm not sure about Saber's love of food. I think in the Anime eating replenished her energy (not specifically mana) but I can't remember if this was true for the novel.
User avatar
KratosIrving
<3 *rip* *splurt*
 
Posts: 205
Joined: October 20th, 2008, 3:11 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Unread postby Iiyo » October 30th, 2008, 3:08 am

1. The game's a bit inconsistent about this. After Saber depletes herself on Excalibur, Tohsaka comments:
"...Yeah, Saber certainly has some magical energy left in her.
I think she should be able to recover enough magical energy to preserve herself."

2. That's why I think it's the only tried and true method we know of. Plus, Tohsaka awkwardly blurting that line is just suspicious to me.
Iiyo
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 43
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Unread postby Xfraze » October 30th, 2008, 3:22 am

I think this is just a case of you reading too much into it.
Xfraze
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 6
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 3:16 am

Unread postby Nerroth » October 30th, 2008, 3:24 am

Well, in Realta Nua,

Instead of the sex scene in UBW, Rin places her hand on Shirou's chest, has her arm glow, and he sees a vision - but I think it has shoals of fish instead of the dragon, or something. And similarly, I'm fairly sure that a similar circuit-bonding as seen in the anime happened in RN's version of Fate. (In the anime at least, they both wake up fully clothed, and the stuff about some of his magical circuits being re-routed, and thus causing him that pain, was what happened during the bonding instead. In Rin's case, since she's a more accomplished magus, and has more circuits to spare, she would be able to manage the connection more easily.)

And besides, the reason that had originally been given in the PC game during Fate was because Shirou was not as capable of forming the kind of bond that Rin had with Archer - or, indeed, that Kiritsugu had formed to supply Saber in Fate/Zero. And neither of them needed intercourse, either. But RN shows that even he can make a connection via circuit-bonding - but since he's an amateur, it hurts. A lot.

I suspect that given his selfless nature, he would pick the circuit thing over hurting Saber, if given the choice. But, for whatever reason, PC-Fate-timeline Shirou is not told of the other option, but RN-Fate-Shirou had another way.


Intercourse is one way of creating a link, or providing a transfer - but it's not the only one by any means.
Last edited by Nerroth on October 30th, 2008, 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Nerroth
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 285
Joined: June 22nd, 2007, 1:35 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Unread postby Raitei » October 30th, 2008, 3:26 am

KratosIrving wrote:For that first point, Saber can't replenish her own mana; that crap was made up for the Anime. The reason she sleeps is to prolong her existence because sleeping lowers the amount of mana used to the bare minimum so she can maintain her body.
wrong.
servants do regain some amount of prana daily, just barely enough to support his / her existence in this world even without master (this means without fighting, or getting injured AT ALL). caster cannot do so, why? because of her former master's restrictions, plus she underestimated the bond between master and servant.

saber cannot hope to survive the next morning without xxx with shirou. why? because eventually, the amount of prana she had at that time will be depleted before she had the chance to regain some.
and by sleeping a lot, saber minimizes the amount of mana consumption so that the "daily supply" is enough to sustain her existence in this world
KratosIrving wrote:While that subject is up, I'm not sure about Saber's love of food. I think in the Anime eating replenished her energy (not specifically mana) but I can't remember if this was true for the novel.
saber's love for good meals has nothing to do with prana replenishment... not at all...

And besides, the reason that had originally been given in the PC game during Fate was because Shirou was incapable of forming the kind of bond that Rin had with Archer - or, indeed, that Kiritsugu had formed to supply Saber in Fate/Zero. And neither of them needed intercourse, either.
because kiritsugu did a proper summoning at that time. and remember that rin said something along the line of "some lines must have occured during the summoning..."
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
User avatar
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: August 7th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Location: Distant wilderness

Unread postby Iiyo » October 30th, 2008, 3:30 am

I think Saber's tendency to eat a lot can be explained away by the fact that Saber is still alive and she does some massive cardio, so she needs to eat.
Iiyo
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 43
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Unread postby Nerroth » October 30th, 2008, 3:31 am

And when it comes to food,

Is it not the case that since she's a different kind of spirit to the other Servants - given that she's not quite as dead as they are - she can gain some energy through food?

For example, the de-materialisation thing was not Shirou's fault - Kiritsugu couldn't get her to either, so she had to fly with Irisviel to Japan - and walk around as her bodyguard.

And I had heard that Rider made the point in HF to say that, unlike with Saber, food won't be of any use to her...
User avatar
Nerroth
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 285
Joined: June 22nd, 2007, 1:35 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Unread postby Iiyo » October 30th, 2008, 3:32 am

Xfraze wrote:I think this is just a case of you reading too much into it.

The thing is, it makes too much sense for that to me. Plus, we're dealing with Nasu, and it's probable that he did think things out that far.
Iiyo
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 43
Joined: October 30th, 2008, 12:31 am

Unread postby Wiiown » October 30th, 2008, 3:57 am

I explained it terribly with my horrible grammar, but I really do believe in this case Rin was just saying that she would never resort to that method of gaining energy (killing people), not that she had lesbian sex with an unconscious person to restore their mana. Maybe I am misunderstanding the context though but wasn't the unconscious person
a result of that asshole Shinji?
Wiiown
Crack Addic!
 
Posts: 172
Joined: October 11th, 2008, 8:32 am

Next

Return to Fate/stay night Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron