I request a Script Dumper

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

I request a Script Dumper

Unread postby Hawkeye7513 » October 22nd, 2008, 1:05 am

I am just starting to study Japanese, and I would like to improve myself by translating Fate/stay Night, and comparing against a known translation. However my Japanese sucks and with out a dictionary it will be impossible. So I would like a script dumper for the Japanese text so I can easily look things up, and although less necessary, I would like a script dumper for the translated text for easy comparison.

Edit: I realized that a script dumper for the translated text would probably break the agreement on the patch or be in violation of the wares rule. So unless Message says otherwise, Don't post a script dumper for the patch
Hawkeye7513
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Blue Gunner » October 22nd, 2008, 5:05 am

Quick tip: try something easier if you're just starting out (ie any level of university Japanese excepting perhaps post grad). I don't know what to suggest, but trying to translate Fate will have you tearing your hair out and you'll want to throw your dictionary out the window if you try to translate it when you're just starting.
Improve your vocab and feed people in need: http://www.freerice.com
Blue Gunner
Addict

Re: I request a Script Dumper

Unread postby Message » October 22nd, 2008, 5:56 am

Hawkeye7513 wrote:Edit: I realized that a script dumper for the translated text would probably break the agreement on the patch or be in violation of the wares rule. So unless Message says otherwise, Don't post a script dumper for the patch

A script dumper wouldn't be in violation of anything, though a dumped script would be. But as Blue Gunner said, Fate/stay night is most certainly NOT suited for learning Japanese. If even TakaJun had a hard time translating it... You get my point.

Unread postby Hawkeye7513 » October 22nd, 2008, 8:11 am

Translating Fate/stay Night isn't my first study step, it's the top of the mountain. I'm using it as my goal.
Here's my current Japanese practice plan:

Look at the top of the mountain : (Attempt to translate Fate/stay Night for 3 hours or eternity, whichever comes first)
Translate raw manga : (Translate Naruto & Bleach with comparing until I can read/translate it easily)
Look at the top of the mountain : (Nasu scary Nasu scary)
Translate light novels : (I've always wanted to read, Read or Die)
Look at the top of the mountain : (How high is this thing?)

I need the Japanese texts of Fate Stay Night in order to see my true goal. I figure that once I get to the point where I can read Fate/Stay Night with few look-ups I can order any Japanese game, or novel with out fear of not understanding it.
Hawkeye7513
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby silent » October 22nd, 2008, 9:24 am

Did you try XP3 / Kirikiri tools ( http www insani org/tools/ )?
silent
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Balcerzak » October 22nd, 2008, 9:36 am

I've posted a lot of (hopefully) useful information in the Fate for PSP thread. Of course, instead of opening up patch2.xp3, you'd want to look in data.xp3 under the scenario subdirectory. It would still require a fair bit of work on your part, but I'm not about to try to figure out how to build an automated dumper.

Edit: The Japanese script is probably much more readable, so you probably won't need the stripping program, as it doesn't have to store all of the word-wrapping information that the English script does, although it does have furigana at places, which I haven't spent any time figuring out how that gets coded in.
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Chronowraith » October 23rd, 2008, 6:08 pm

beasts lair has a script dumper i believe... check the translation forum.
Chronowraith
Addict

Re: I request a Script Dumper

Unread postby General_Starr » October 28th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Message wrote:But as Blue Gunner said, Fate/stay night is most certainly NOT suited for learning Japanese. If even TakaJun had a hard time translating it... You get my point.

QFT.
Currently studying Beginner's Japanese level 2, and delving into kanji, vocab and sentence structure as well as usage of directions and location descriptors. (mawari, mukai, tonari, chikai, sotto, naka, etc..) as well as the annoying counters for all kinds of things. (Nihon = Japan, but also means two long objects? [ ippon, nihon, sanbon ])

Practicing by scantlating or translating raw H-mangas for the cancerous populace of the board that is.. i think you might know what i mean already.

Even with this, it takes me a minute or more to read the kanji when playing HF, much less 'rearrange' and 'understand' it... But i admit, it helps lol
General_Starr
Totally hardly posted

Return to Fate/stay night Chat