Does this work on Windows 98?

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Does this work on Windows 98?

Unread postby arromdee » October 14th, 2008, 4:55 pm

Fate/Stay Night itself is supposed to work on Japanese Windows 98. Does the translation patch work on American Windows 98? I'd like to know before getting the game, since it's rather expensive.

I once got the game Perfect Cherry Blossom and a translation patch. I still couldn't run it because of Japanese filenames that American Windows 98 doesn't handle well, until someone else came up with a patch that specifically changed those names.
arromdee
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » October 14th, 2008, 5:39 pm

Of course since it was out for 98 and XP. The only thing they really had to work on was for it to be compatable with Vista. Which they did with the UBW Installer thankfully.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby arromdee » October 14th, 2008, 7:42 pm

Yes, but my point is that 98 has some extra issues which aren't a problem on XP. I'm thinking of the Japanese filename problem I had on PCB, though I wouldn't be surprised if there are others. If the game has those issues, but the translation patch doesn't specifically fix them, it's entirely possible that the translation only works on XP regardless of what OS the original Japanese product works on. (Of course I don't even know if the game has these issues--some Japanese games use all English filenames anyway.)

So has anyone tried the patch on 98, or is the patch officially tested on 98?

(I run Linux most of the time and don't play modern FPSes or RTSes, giving me little incentive to get XP. The 98 is just kept around to run older windows things.)
arromdee
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby arromdee » October 14th, 2008, 8:05 pm

Hmm, in the bug report thread someone mentions running on 98, so I guess it works at least enough to be playable... so never mind. Though I am a bit worried about this sentence from the FAQ:

If you get this blue screen with random text upon running the game, set 'Language for Non-Unicode Programs' to Japanese. In Windows XP, that's in Control Panel -> Regional and Language Settings -> 3rd tab. In Vista/Mojave (lol), that's the 4th tab.

I'm pretty sure that 98 doesn't have this setting.
arromdee
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » October 14th, 2008, 9:57 pm

Huh I'm supprised Message didn't scold you for a double post there.

In any case that would probablly be for when the 1.0 Installer was out at that time. Although if you don't know how to change your Regional Seetings in the Controll Pannel for 98, then you can always use AppLocale just in case. Although the UBW Installer made it where you don't need the AppLocale program. The only think you need to do is make sure that the rundll32 isn't running when you play, or else it will frezze the game up. I've done that before with the XP System that I had so I'm guessing it's pretty much the same there.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby arromdee » October 15th, 2008, 4:44 am

I didn't make a double post. I noticed that another person posted there about a problem with Windows 98.
arromdee
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » October 15th, 2008, 9:34 am

Don't worry about Kid-Wolf, arromdee. He doesn't always know what exactly he's talking about.

It's been a very long time since we tested this baby on Windows 98, but as far as I remember it worked... Somewhat. Improper font kerning might make the text look not quite perfect. I do know the voicepatch does NOT work on win98, because it cannot seem to read the Realta Nua DVD. Maybe if you subst a network share to a local drive... But I doubt it.

The script has been unicoded so that the game works outside of Japanese locales, which also worked on win98 for P+D, so it should work for F/sn Eng v2.0 and up. I'll see if I can give v3.0 a spin in my Win98 virtual machine. Lack of DirectX support might make that impossible, though.

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » October 15th, 2008, 12:16 pm

Message wrote:Don't worry about Kid-Wolf, arromdee. He doesn't always know what exactly he's talking about.

Yeah I wasn't paying much attention to the time stamps there. Well never the less at least you've explained it better then I could since it's been a while for me to use a 98 OS system myself.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby arromdee » November 17th, 2008, 5:39 am

Never mind. I solved it the easy way (so to speak, since it certainly wasn't easy): doing a system upgrade and getting XP. (I dual boot with Linux, which made me reluctant to upgrade because setting up a new Linux system can be very painful. Not knowing if FSN would work was the next to last straw; the last one was the power supply starting to fail.)
arromdee
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » November 17th, 2008, 6:15 am

Ah yes I had that happen to me fo ra while beofre I got a PC with XP as well. Unfortunatelly I haven't uses 98 in years now. I think it was aroung the time where they stoped updating it if I remeber correcly.

Well at least the problem was fixed though.
Kid-Wolf

Return to Fate/stay night Chat