Rin personality contradictions [massive Fate/UBW spoil]

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby abscess » October 8th, 2008, 5:21 am

Sprawly241 wrote:I do not recall ever reading that she had any explicit interest in Shirou at all in the prologue other than that statement where she's concerned about how sakura would react to Shirou's death.

That is very true, that's why she revives him, but, as it is well known, after Fate and (obviously) UBW she is interested in Shirou. Can't say anything about HF, but I suppose that stays the same.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
User avatar
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: April 25th, 2008, 10:08 am
Location: Parmistan lol

Unread postby Raitei » October 8th, 2008, 9:59 am

Sprawly241 wrote:I do not recall ever reading that she had any explicit interest in Shirou at all in the prologue other than that statement where she's concerned about how sakura would react to Shirou's death.
that's partly of it, but the other reason is that : she also admired shirou. and no, you won't see it in the game; it was in fate / character material. ( or is it type moon character material? or fate side materiale? whatever. )
there was this scene of young sakura and young rin seeing young shirou saving a cat and hurt himself. both of them was deeply moved because of that scene.
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
User avatar
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: August 7th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Location: Distant wilderness

Unread postby Kansho » October 8th, 2008, 10:48 am

Raitei wrote:
Sprawly241 wrote:I do not recall ever reading that she had any explicit interest in Shirou at all in the prologue other than that statement where she's concerned about how sakura would react to Shirou's death.
that's partly of it, but the other reason is that : she also admired shirou. and no, you won't see it in the game; it was in fate / character material. ( or is it type moon character material? or fate side materiale? whatever. )
there was this scene of young sakura and young rin seeing young shirou saving a cat and hurt himself. both of them was deeply moved because of that scene.
Saving a cat?... If I recall correctly, the scene is Shirou trying to jump over a track and field bar without giving up.

That scene is explained in-game by Sakura. And is a recurrent theme (mentioned at UBW's True End, explained during HF...)

At first, Rin "likes" Shirou, a child crush a step behind of plain love. That scene probably shocked her, but didn't mean so much as to Sakura.
見せかけの自分はそっと捨ててただありのままで
misekake no jibun ha sotto sutete tada ari no mama de -
Throw away the "fake me" quietly and just be myself.
User avatar
Kansho
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 740
Joined: May 9th, 2007, 12:16 pm

Unread postby Raitei » October 8th, 2008, 11:42 am

Kansho wrote:
Raitei wrote:
Sprawly241 wrote:I do not recall ever reading that she had any explicit interest in Shirou at all in the prologue other than that statement where she's concerned about how sakura would react to Shirou's death.
that's partly of it, but the other reason is that : she also admired shirou. and no, you won't see it in the game; it was in fate / character material. ( or is it type moon character material? or fate side materiale? whatever. )
there was this scene of young sakura and young rin seeing young shirou saving a cat and hurt himself. both of them was deeply moved because of that scene.
Saving a cat?... If I recall correctly, the scene is Shirou trying to jump over a track and field bar without giving up.

That scene is explained in-game by Sakura. And is a recurrent theme (mentioned at UBW's True End, explained during HF...)

At first, Rin "likes" Shirou, a child crush a step behind of plain love. That scene probably shocked her, but didn't mean so much as to Sakura.
ah, so that's what it is. you have it cleared up for me, thanks. :)
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
User avatar
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: August 7th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Location: Distant wilderness

Unread postby Sprawly241 » October 8th, 2008, 7:16 pm

Ha HA! So I was right! I knew I paid attention for some reason.

Anywho, I think we have Rin's character pretty nailed down, except for maybe some HF stuff.
Sprawly241
Posting more than n00bs
 
Posts: 18
Joined: October 15th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Unread postby Anium » October 8th, 2008, 8:35 pm

I just re-read Rin's good ending and started the few translated lines in hf route and remembered that too. Rin asks if he remembers, and sakura talks like she was with someone else.
Anium
Might just like this board
 
Posts: 33
Joined: August 3rd, 2008, 9:45 pm

Unread postby ayadew » October 8th, 2008, 11:12 pm

Sprawly241 wrote:
Anywho, I think we have Rin's character pretty nailed down, except for maybe some HF stuff.


Yes, I know nothing of HF so we'll see
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
User avatar
ayadew
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 601
Joined: December 11th, 2007, 9:25 pm
Location: Sweden

Unread postby Raitei » October 9th, 2008, 12:21 am

Sprawly241 wrote:Ha HA! So I was right! I knew I paid attention for some reason.

Anywho, I think we have Rin's character pretty nailed down, except for maybe some HF stuff.
what? I never said you're wrong. I said that rin doing that ONLY for the sake of sakura is just a lovely excuse; rin herself is also fond of shirou, even though not half obsessed as sakura.
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
User avatar
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: August 7th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Location: Distant wilderness

Unread postby abscess » October 9th, 2008, 12:34 am

Raitei wrote:
Sprawly241 wrote:I do not recall ever reading that she had any explicit interest in Shirou at all in the prologue other than that statement where she's concerned about how sakura would react to Shirou's death.
that's partly of it, but the other reason is that : she also admired shirou. and no, you won't see it in the game; it was in fate / character material. ( or is it type moon character material? or fate side materiale? whatever. )
there was this scene of young sakura and young rin seeing young shirou saving a cat and hurt himself. both of them was deeply moved because of that scene.

Hm! That seems more convincing!
Giving it a second thought, reviving Shirou only for Sakura's sake is somewhat of a bland excuse, when Sakura and Rin aren't all that close (at least not so much as I see it), but adding Rin's own interest in him in the equation balances it.
Still.... I think that info it should have been given in the game.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
User avatar
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: April 25th, 2008, 10:08 am
Location: Parmistan lol

Unread postby Brizzle » October 9th, 2008, 1:48 am

The info is implied in UBW, but it is confirmed in HF, so it is there.
GAR for Shiro
User avatar
Brizzle
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 319
Joined: January 3rd, 2008, 10:34 pm
Location: In Despair

Unread postby abscess » October 9th, 2008, 3:33 am

Brizzle wrote:The info is implied in UBW, but it is confirmed in HF, so it is there.

Hmm... well, I have no way of proving you right or wrong, since I know squat about HF; I'll have to take your word for that. In UBW, though, I don't remember Rin ever mentioning something about caring for Shirou before the events in FSN (yes, I could be very wrong, since my memory just plain sucks).
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
User avatar
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: April 25th, 2008, 10:08 am
Location: Parmistan lol

Unread postby Inverted » October 9th, 2008, 8:32 am

She makes a passing reference in the UBW True End
"Shirou were you part of track and field team?"
"Why ?"
"No reason"

Or something along those lines.
User avatar
Inverted
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 263
Joined: February 2nd, 2008, 7:25 pm

Unread postby Sprawly241 » October 9th, 2008, 4:37 pm

hold on a sec, i don't understand
what does track and field have to do with caring for shirou? i never understood that line actually.
Sprawly241
Posting more than n00bs
 
Posts: 18
Joined: October 15th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Unread postby Catastrophe » October 9th, 2008, 4:55 pm

Sprawly241 wrote:hold on a sec, i don't understand
what does track and field have to do with caring for shirou? i never understood that line actually.

read Kansho's last post
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
User avatar
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 734
Joined: December 18th, 2007, 3:40 am
Location: Trust me.... you DONT wanna know.

Unread postby Balcerzak » October 9th, 2008, 5:20 pm

abscess wrote:
Brizzle wrote:The info is implied in UBW, but it is confirmed in HF, so it is there.

Hmm... well, I have no way of proving you right or wrong, since I know squat about HF; I'll have to take your word for that. In UBW, though, I don't remember Rin ever mentioning something about caring for Shirou before the events in FSN (yes, I could be very wrong, since my memory just plain sucks).

Actually, if my memory doesn't fail me, the HF-path choices up until Day 4 were in the UBW patch. So if you read through that, you'll hear
Sakura give her version of the track and field event recollection
which you can then put together with the reference from UBW TE, and your 2+2 will become 4.
User avatar
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!
 
Posts: 174
Joined: October 29th, 2007, 8:21 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Unread postby Raitei » October 9th, 2008, 9:21 pm

Catastrophe wrote:
Sprawly241 wrote:hold on a sec, i don't understand
what does track and field have to do with caring for shirou? i never understood that line actually.

read Kansho's last post
actually, it's pretty much vague and would not let you know anything as a standalone information unless combined with the other information. (mentioned in hf)
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
User avatar
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: August 7th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Location: Distant wilderness

Unread postby Rikh » October 9th, 2008, 9:59 pm

Raitei wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:
Sprawly241 wrote:hold on a sec, i don't understand
what does track and field have to do with caring for shirou? i never understood that line actually.

read Kansho's last post
actually, it's pretty much vague and would not let you know anything as a standalone information unless combined with the other information. (mentioned in hf)


This reminds me of an anime/game where a similar event happened

Because a boy was trying to jump something, monkeybars or a hurdle... i dont know... A person watched him and gave him a candy for trying hard. Then she made it a habit to give candy to people who tried hard, eventually became a teacher and met him as a student

oh well back on topic
Honestly... Rin is Rin, no need to describe her any more. We got her pretty much down
Lets move on to Taiga!!!
User avatar
Rikh
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 649
Joined: July 19th, 2008, 6:07 pm
Location: Unlimited Taiga Works

Unread postby abscess » October 9th, 2008, 10:05 pm

Rikh wrote:
Raitei wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:[quote="Sprawly241"]hold on a sec, i don't understand
what does track and field have to do with caring for shirou? i never understood that line actually.

read Kansho's last post
actually, it's pretty much vague and would not let you know anything as a standalone information unless combined with the other information. (mentioned in hf)


This reminds me of an anime/game where a similar event happened

Because a boy was trying to jump something, monkeybars or a hurdle... i dont know... A person watched him and gave him a candy for trying hard. Then she made it a habit to give candy to people who tried hard, eventually became a teacher and met him as a student

oh well back on topic
Honestly... Rin is Rin, no need to describe her any more. We got her pretty much down
Lets move on to Taiga!!![/quote]
Yeah, probably nailed down enough.... hmm... I just realized that phrase can have somewhat of a sexual connotation too :P Yeahp, I'm kinda slow at times.

Anyway, sadly, this is a Rin thread. The topic must be changed in order to be able to talk about Taiga without problem of going offtopic and having the thread locked. It's ayadew's call.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
User avatar
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: April 25th, 2008, 10:08 am
Location: Parmistan lol

Unread postby Rikh » October 9th, 2008, 10:49 pm

abscess wrote:Yeah, probably nailed down enough.... hmm... I just realized that phrase can have somewhat of a sexual connotation too :P Yeahp, I'm kinda slow at times.

Anyway, sadly, this is a Rin thread. The topic must be changed in order to be able to talk about Taiga without problem of going offtopic and having the thread locked. It's ayadew's call.


ugh true... What more is there about rin???


She is kawaii in a baseball uniform ingame... she might have a cosplay love
User avatar
Rikh
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 649
Joined: July 19th, 2008, 6:07 pm
Location: Unlimited Taiga Works

Unread postby TheBeard » October 10th, 2008, 2:39 am

Rikh wrote:ugh true... What more is there about rin???


She is kawaii in a baseball uniform ingame... she might have a cosplay love


In Fate/hollow ataraxia, Rin cosplays as a Magical Girl
TheBeard
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 11
Joined: October 5th, 2008, 8:28 pm
Location: California

PreviousNext

Return to Fate/stay night Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest