Original vs Fake (Spoilers)

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Original vs Fake (Spoilers)

Unread postby matthewfarenheit » September 19th, 2008, 6:23 pm

So, we have Gate of Babylon and Unlimited Blade Works. One is based on the treasures Gilgamesh colected while he was alive as a king (and let's add that he could have had a Methuselahnic lifespan being two thirds god and all), and the other is based on the weapons Emiya saw during his lifetime and possibly his carreer as a Counter Guardian, including seeing the Gate of Babylon itself. Now on the real topic of this thread: How many weapons hold each of them?

Things I would add about Gate of Babylon:

*As they are all originals from the Sumerian's time, altough it may be contended that some were forgotten and other were ruthlessly copied over and over again, I would ask: how many weapons could there have been at this early time of human history?
    *Does it really hold infinite weapons? as two of the same original are an impossibility (he has to have collected those weapons), and infinite weapons won't fit THE KNOWN UNIVERSE, I would greatly doubt this. Some characters do state "they may as well be infinite", but they are characters in the game after all: don't ask fish how big the sea is.
    *Are all of them NPs or only some of them? This is truly unknown for me, as Gil always seem to want to show off his NPs, but he using NPs alone is no reason to say that every item on his vault is one. He may not like to use simple swords, or he may not have collected any of them at all for thinking them "commoner's swords"...
Of course, some of these holes could be (literally) magically filled, so I'm not saying "GOB DOESN'T HOLD INFINITE WEAPONS AND THAT'S IT". Like Nasu could say "Sumerians were a race of Godlike smiths with the ability to stop time in order to work more and magically store things into Gil's vault, that was rigged to use the 4th and 5th spatial dimentions so as to have infinite available space on it".

Things I would add about Unlimited Blade Works:
    *How many swords can someone see on the contemporary age? I mean, it's surprising enough that he could save anything and survive while carrying a pair of swords against your usual threath, that is armed people. And armed people with GUNS, not swords... Even less NPs.
    *Even more, how many swords and NPs could he have seen and clasified over the course of the 5th war? This is probably the moment that he saw most of the swords he would use on his lifetime, and has an important subitem:
    *How many swords did Emiya successfully copy form the Gate of Bablylon? All of them? Many? Some? Just the ones we see on the stats screen? INFINITE?
    *Do the swords that he might have seen on his (long?) career as a Counter Guardian add to the count? Did Archer, thus, have lived and collected blueprints for a longer period than Gil?
    *Is UBW limited to one copy of every sword or you may as well make several copies of the same item? Even more, if Emiya only knew one sword and the UBW chants, would he be able to fill UBW with many (maybe infinite?) copies of that only sword?

Well, that's as much as I can add thinking by myself right now. Remember that this is a question about AMMOUNT, NOT POWER (in any way), so please refrain from drifting offtopic.
matthewfarenheit
Addict

Unread postby GreenSamurai » September 19th, 2008, 7:14 pm

Gates of Babylon contain NPs that Gil collected during his lifetime.

Emiya could copy every single NP that Gil pull out from GoB but not those that he did not pull out as Emiya needs to see the NP to copy it.But then again,not all NPs in GoB is worth copying as some of them are only prototypes.*cough*Gungnir*cough*

Yes,the weapons that he saw during the time when he was a Counter Guardian counts as well.Finally,despite the fact that Emiya probably saw and copied more weapons,they are only copies of the original while Gil owns the original NPs
GreenSamurai
Might just like this board

Unread postby Divine » September 19th, 2008, 10:00 pm

GOB:

Well, it would stand to reason that there are inconsistencies between our world and that of F/S N. Taking that into account, it is possible to make a few assumptions. NPs have existed before they became NPs. (This is a given since Goldie has the original of every NP in his treasury.)

As the first king and the first heroic spirit, Goldie would have had no problem gathering up the original NPs since there would have been nothing to oppose this. After his death, two things occurred. First, his heroic spirit would have been taken out of the time line along with his treasury of weapons. Then the weapons in his treasury would have been spread throughout the known world.

Infinite? There is no such thing. In fact, I doubt that he has that many at all. As Goldie himself states, he has the original of every NP, but if one were to take every NP in existence and trace backwards how that NP came to be, many would return to the same starting point. I am not a scholar of mythology, but I do know that while we have ended up with a diverse number of legendary items (NPs) many share common roots. So while the result is an immeasurable number of NPs, Goldie's treasury only has a small percentage of that number.

I think the only true NP he has is Ea. Beyond that, I do not know. Since he predates any legend other than Ea, it stands to reason that none of the weapons in his treasury are truly NPs since they have no accumulated history. Rather, the weapons he has are simply the roots of all other legends. The fact that they were in Goldie's treasury may have even been the seed needed for them to eventually become NPs.

UBW:

Well, it is unlikely that he was THAT stupid. If it's a battle with guns, then he probably would not have used his projection magic. However, he is able to use Rho Aius which is particularly strong against projectile weaponry so it stands to reason that he is able to at least protect himself from modern weaponry. As far as how he fights in the future, it is possible that Rin was able to pound some useful magic into his head after 10 years or so. Who knows. He may have ended up fighting against other magi if that were the case.

Well. He is able to copy any weapon that he has seen. So if one wanted to count, one could but I doubt that every one of them is listed in the status screen. For example, in Shirou vs. Goldie, he copied at least 17 different NPs that were shot at him. But that isn't the true extent of GoB so who knows how many he was able to see but wasn't forced to defend against.

I don't think CB Shirou would be able to retain his memory after his task succeeded. It is stated at the end of UBW that he learned a lesson that he would not remember the next time so I think that UBW was frozen the moment CB Shirou died.

The thing is, Shirou is still young. It seems as though he will have long life as a magus before he dies, and as such he will have plenty of opportunities to observe weapons. I wonder if Shirou is able to project a weapon that he has only read about.

If we are talking about present Shirou, he would have a significant number of blades stored up. Firstly, he has every weapon that CB Shirou ever saw. Then he has every weapon that Goldie showed him with his GoB. I would guess that CB Shirou had a significant number of weapons stored up. Probably in the thousands. (Just a guess.)

I think Goldie showed shirou at least 50-100. The text is ambiguous but that's what I get from their fight.

Hm.. Interesting question. I would assume that UBW is able to create multiples of any weapon. Since they are merely copies of weapons, I don't think that UBW is limited to only 1 copy per blueprint.
Divine
Addict

Unread postby gexer64 » September 20th, 2008, 1:33 am

Also to note is the fact the UBW allows the user to read the memories of the blade, thus giving archer the skills of the sword's user. A good example of this is shirou downloading nine lives. That does give quite an edge to just an "owner."
gexer64
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » September 20th, 2008, 1:47 am

Divine wrote:As far as how he fights in the future, it is possible that Rin was able to pound some useful magic into his head after 10 years or so.

The Reality marble is the ONLY magic allowed for Emiya Shirou.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby matthewfarenheit » September 20th, 2008, 6:15 am

gexer64 wrote:Also to note is the fact the UBW allows the user to read the memories of the blade, thus giving archer the skills of the sword's user. A good example of this is shirou downloading nine lives. That does give quite an edge to just an "owner."

matthewfarenheit wrote:Remember that this is a question about AMMOUNT, NOT POWER (in any way), so please refrain from drifting offtopic.

-----------------------------------------------------
Einherjar wrote:
Divine wrote:As far as how he fights in the future, it is possible that Rin was able to pound some useful magic into his head after 10 years or so.

You are taking ingame quotes too seriously. Individual characters can be wrong, or just like to emphatize a point or two ocasionally, even if what they say isn't totally right. How did Archer repair Tohsaka's livingroom if he couldn't use restoration magic (as someone told me)? An hybrid sword-screwdriver NP with instant repair action?
-----------------------------------------------------
Divine, I like the points you make. I digress in somethings:

Many of Gilgamesh weapons are NPs. I don't know if all of the items in the GoB are, but many of them are stated as NPs, and in fact,probably all of those we see ingame are NPs. It is stated ingame, from characters, the weapons menu, the stats menu (consult Enuma Elish for example), and every other official work from Fate stay Night (Zero for example).

Why would using swords be stupid? If Emiya can use magic, shoot swords, move at superhuman speeds via strenghtening and use a Reality Marble as his weapon, even the common group of thugs with uzis would be vastly overpowered. I'm just saying that he wouldn't be likely to see many swords in these kind of modern conflicts.

I do believe that CG Emiya remembers the weapons he sees in his other summonings, the same Heroic spirits recognize each other because they have been summoned many times (the timeless library parable). Remembering a weapon isn't that far off from remembering a person, even more if it is an unique NP, so I'd say it would be strange for him not to remember those he manages to see, including other CGs weapons as well.

I also wonder if Wikipedia would be a good enough source to get a blueprint from any weapon... :D
matthewfarenheit
Addict

Unread postby Keeper of Gil's Vault » September 21st, 2008, 1:38 am

You guys are digging too deep, seriously. The Gilgamesh in Fate is so Nasu-fied, we cannot reach a clear conclusion unless something is stated by Nasu himself. For example, the skill Gate of Babylon... Babylon did not even exist at the time Gilgamesh supposed to have lived. And the content of Gate of Babylon? If you look closely at the CG's, there are katanas, sabres, and ji in there. Katana is native to the Japanese/Korean region, sabre is exclusively European, and ji originated from China. Also, apparently Gilgamesh has a flying machine in his vault too. From these evidence, it is safe to assume that Nasu has made the people of ancient Uruk a pretty advanced race... By doing so, Nasu pretty much closes all plot holes pertaining Gilgamesh. For example...

Reader: "Hey what? Gilgamesh can shoot cannons out of GoB?"
Nasu: "Ya, the Uruks pretty much invented everything we know of today, it is just that they were lost in history."
Reader: "I see, I guess cannon is alright, it is not too sophisticated. If the Uruks are really intelligent, they might figure it out..."
Nasu: "Now Gilgamesh summons the prototype of the modern computer, which was lost in history. He then calculates the trajectory of his cannons accurate to the nearest yard."
Reader: "Wha... O right, he has the prototype of every weapon, and maybe every invention too, since he has a flying machine..."

I have personally read through the Epic of Gilgamesh (you should try too, it is short), there is no mention of Ea, or his fetish of stockpiling weapons, or using a chain to restrain the Bull of Heaven. Also, Gilgamesh is supposed to be a giant, and quite handsome too.

Well, the point of all the stuff I have stated is that, unlike the other heroic spirits, Nasu has warped the background of Gilgamesh too much, it is hard to gauge what he can/cannot have...
Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Einherjar » September 21st, 2008, 2:12 am

matthewfarenheit wrote:
Einherjar wrote:

You are taking ingame quotes too seriously. Individual characters can be wrong, or just like to emphatize a point or two ocasionally, even if what they say isn't totally right. How did Archer repair Tohsaka's livingroom if he couldn't use restoration magic (as someone told me)? An hybrid sword-screwdriver NP with instant repair action?

I'm saying that even Archer didn't archive anything, and it's said MANY times that Archer has no talent whatsoever, but he still manage to perfect the only thing he can do to become a CG.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Rikh » September 21st, 2008, 6:08 am

Einherjar wrote:
matthewfarenheit wrote:
Einherjar wrote:[quote="Divine"]As far as how he fights in the future, it is possible that Rin was able to pound some useful magic into his head after 10 years or so.

I'm saying that even Archer didn't archive anything, and it's said MANY times that Archer has no talent whatsoever, but he still manage to perfect the only thing he can do to become a CG.[/quote]

Archer can do more magic than the reality marble... of course projection and reinforcing are traits of the marble, he is also apparently about to overload objects with prana till they explode =D
also he can jump off buildings and be fine... there is major reinforcement magic + anti-gravity magic there...

in response to an earlier question, if he only knew one sword in the whole world (by random chance he also didnt have constant dreams about swords too...)
Then his reality marble could very well be a near infinite plain of the same sword. Shirou was able to project 17 of gils weps nearly at once. He can project 17 of the same weapon at once (and possibly much easier to do as well) he projects kansho and byakua almost limitless times (shiro and archer) in all the routes
Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread postby matthewfarenheit » September 21st, 2008, 6:49 am

Rikh wrote:in response to an earlier question, if he only knew one sword in the whole world (by random chance he also didnt have constant dreams about swords too...)
Then his reality marble could very well be a near infinite plain of the same sword. Shirou was able to project 17 of gils weps nearly at once. He can project 17 of the same weapon at once (and possibly much easier to do as well) he projects kansho and byakua almost limitless times (shiro and archer) in all the routes

So the end result is: Archer has a theoretically limitless stock of swords (although whether they are infinite in UBW or just a lot and easily replaceable is debatable), and Gilgamesh has a rather huge (like, tens of thousands or even millions), but still limited, stock of weapons. Anyways, the sheer ammount of weapons is in no way representative of their powers, as both Archer and Gil seem to be limited in the ammount of swords they can control at any given time (like, levitating about a dozen, or launching them by succession rather than all at once).

I have this new question then: when Gilgamesh shots a weapon from his GoB, does he lose it? He has to retrieve it later? Weapons reapear inside the GoB magically after a while, or when Gil wants it to they dissapear in thin air and reapear in thew vault? I first tought of this after reading the first Fate/Zero Gil vs Berserker fight, because Lancelot seems pretty much adicted at stealing Gil's weapons. Maybe Berserker can keep them for later? I realize this "lost" state, if actually true, would only be so for the remainder of the latest summoning; that is, no item is lost for the real Gilgamesh on the Throne of Heroes, the same that if Gilgamesh loses an arm the one on the Throne of Heroes would remain unscathhed. What do you think?
matthewfarenheit
Addict

Unread postby Rikh » September 21st, 2008, 7:28 am

matthewfarenheit wrote:
Rikh wrote:in response to an earlier question, if he only knew one sword in the whole world (by random chance he also didnt have constant dreams about swords too...)

So the end result is: Archer has a theoretically limitless stock of swords (although whether they are infinite in UBW or just a lot and easily replaceable is debatable), and Gilgamesh has a rather huge (like, tens of thousands or even millions), but still limited, stock of weapons. Anyways, the sheer ammount of weapons is in no way representative of their powers, as both Archer and Gil seem to be limited in the ammount of swords they can control at any given time (like, levitating about a dozen, or launching them by succession rather than all at once).

I have this new question then: when Gilgamesh shots a weapon from his GoB, does he lose it? He has to retrieve it later? Weapons reapear inside the GoB magically after a while, or when Gil wants it to they dissapear in thin air and reapear in thew vault? I first tought of this after reading the first Fate/Zero Gil vs Berserker fight, because Lancelot seems pretty much adicted at stealing Gil's weapons. Maybe Berserker can keep them for later? I realize this "lost" state, if actually true, would only be so for the remainder of the latest summoning; that is, no item is lost for the real Gilgamesh on the Throne of Heroes, the same that if Gilgamesh loses an arm the one on the Throne of Heroes would remain unscathhed. What do you think?

Servants can be damaged and killed during a war. but they can be re-summoned again in perfect condition (they also gain book-like information on how they lost a battle/who they fought, so they probably wont fall for the same trick against the same person if matched up again

Weapons disappear and re-appear in his vault, its more like teleportation though. I don't know what happens if a weapon is damaged though

for instance the youth potion in F/HA was pulled from the vault, however it was not in infinite supply (but definitely enough for gil to use....) at least from what i remember

Archers reality marble does contain infinite theoretical swords. However its limited to what archer is able to see, as well as how much prana he has
its more along the lines of keeping the RM up instead of projecting swords then, since the marble does most of the projecting for him
Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Anium » September 21st, 2008, 9:55 am

Something interesting, i'm going a bit offtopic, but imagine that rider disarms lancer, and gets his gae bolg, can he ressumon it? He fights barelyhanded the rest of the war? I always wondered that, we know only archer is disarmed in the game(he doesnt care anyway) but what about the other servants?
Anium

Unread postby matthewfarenheit » September 21st, 2008, 11:16 am

Anium wrote:Something interesting, i'm going a bit offtopic, but imagine that rider disarms lancer, and gets his gae bolg, can he ressumon it? He fights barelyhanded the rest of the war? I always wondered that, we know only archer is disarmed in the game(he doesnt care anyway) but what about the other servants?

According to what Tohsaka thinks while archer is being disarmed over and over again, he better get it fast before something BAD happens. Seriously now, I don't think he's able to just summon it, even less if the lance is in someone else's power. He might be fast in retrieving a lance thrown at the enemy, but an unexpected disarm must be troubling, and he'll probably need to physicaly retrieve it before he can dematerialize/materialize it.
matthewfarenheit
Addict

Unread postby Einherjar » September 21st, 2008, 5:54 pm

Rikh wrote:
Archer can do more magic than the reality marble... of course projection and reinforcing are traits of the marble, he is also apparently about to overload objects with prana till they explode =D
also he can jump off buildings and be fine... there is major reinforcement magic + anti-gravity magic there...

Overloading object with prana would still go under reinforcing/projection/transmute section, and servents jumping from buildings to builds are extremely natural. He jumped off the school and caught Rin without any magic whatsoever and caught Rin, since they would be killed if they used a anti gravity. I'm not exactly saying that he cannot learn, but he has absolutely no talent whatsoever and wouldn't bother with learning them, and that's the reason why he only learned reinforcement, since Kiritsugu tried to teach him other things and obviously failed. He doesn't have a magic crest, after all.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Rikh » September 21st, 2008, 8:28 pm

Einherjar wrote:
Rikh wrote:

Overloading object with prana would still go under reinforcing/projection/transmute section, and servents jumping from buildings to builds are extremely natural. He jumped off the school and caught Rin without any magic whatsoever and caught Rin, since they would be killed if they used a anti gravity. I'm not exactly saying that he cannot learn, but he has absolutely no talent whatsoever and wouldn't bother with learning them, and that's the reason why he only learned reinforcement, since Kiritsugu tried to teach him other things and obviously failed. He doesn't have a magic crest, after all.

Archer also sets up barriers in BMW (But since that's a doujin game... it probably doesn't count)
He also is able to make a glowing orb of light with Tohsaka's Prana in F/HA

Also you don't die from Anti-gravity magic... its mainly just to lower your gravity as to fall slower, and im sure i read somewhere he was able to perform that.
im not being a fanboy, I'm just stating its very well implied he knows more forms of magic other than his reality marble
Of course he isnt adept enough in those forms of magic to use them well in battle, he can at least use them at convenience

(also he literally destroyed tohsaka's room when he was summoned... he used similar magic to Rin re-forming glass to repair it most likely since it was in perfect condition after being asked to clean)

Oh and i just remembered he also has the ability to create bullet projectiles
For instance he can trace for example 20 swords, then he is able to fire them off all at once. That requires a form of magic other than the RM
Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Einherjar » September 21st, 2008, 9:43 pm

Rikh wrote:
Einherjar wrote:Archer also sets up barriers in BMW (But since that's a doujin game... it probably doesn't count)
He also is able to make a glowing orb of light with Tohsaka's Prana in F/HA

Also you don't die from Anti-gravity magic... its mainly just to lower your gravity as to fall slower, and im sure i read somewhere he was able to perform that.
im not being a fanboy, I'm just stating its very well implied he knows more forms of magic other than his reality marble
Of course he isnt adept enough in those forms of magic to use them well in battle, he can at least use them at convenience

Oh and i just remembered he also has the ability to create bullet projectiles
For instance he can trace for example 20 swords, then he is able to fire them off all at once. That requires a form of magic other than the RM

1. Doujin = doujin
2. glowing orb of light = pure prana. It's not a spell or anything.
3. Of course you don't like from ani-gravity magic, you get killed by lancer in that particular scene. Archer jumped off, caught Rin, or else Rin will be killed.
4. Fixing the room, I bet it has a lot to do with reinforcement and transmutation.
5. Shirou made a rain of swords also, didn't he?
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Rikh » September 21st, 2008, 10:32 pm

Einherjar wrote:
3. Of course you don't like from ani-gravity magic, you get killed by lancer in that particular scene. Archer jumped off, caught Rin, or else Rin will be killed.
4. Fixing the room, I bet it has a lot to do with reinforcement and transmutation.
5. Shirou made a rain of swords also, didn't he?

The last few statements didnt make sense
3. i dont really know what your talking about here
4. Probably, its just he is able to do something that is not reinforcement/transmutation (transmutation isnt even applied to the marble. If your referring to strengthening, archer/shiro are just pouring prana into faults of an object to make it closer to a perfect form)
Shiro and archer are the same person though..... so they both can do the same things. And sword bullets are magic that involves things other than reinforcement, but object manipulation out of your grasp
Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Keeper of Gil's Vault » September 22nd, 2008, 1:18 am

It is laughable to say that Archer only knows Unlimited Blade Works. Unlimited Blade Works is the only sorcery he is proficient at, in fact it is probably the pinnacle of sorcery. Archer is just mediocre in the other areas of sorcery compare to other magi. However, this does not mean he cannot use other sorcery. Archer was a magus before he became an archer (maybe he was not even an archer, just got tossed in this class by the grail). For goodness sake check the status screen, he even has a rank C- in sorcery. He knows orthodox sorcery. Just because Shirou only knows reinforcement, you cannot assume Archer is the same.
Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Rikh » September 22nd, 2008, 1:36 am

with that statement i take a breath in relief :)
Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread postby elite5472 » September 26th, 2008, 2:39 am

Theorically since hes a timeless Counter Guardian... he could have been summoned an unlimited amount of times in different pasts, presents, futures or different realities and thus, he would have an unlimited amount of blades to choose from since he could have spawned an unlimited amount of times in different realities, and seen different kinds of swords during his timeless history :D
elite5472

Next

Return to Fate/stay night Chat