Funimation's Fate/Stay Night

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby rubberchicken » August 31st, 2008, 10:58 pm

FUNi didn't even do Gurren-Lagann.
rubberchicken
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » August 31st, 2008, 11:38 pm

Well as long as Funi doesn't do a redub then I'm fine with it. The up side is at least people can look foard to Archer's GAR moment in the anime once more for everyone to see again.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Serpentarius » September 1st, 2008, 10:15 am

CSXLoser wrote:imagines Emiya with Goku's voice*
"I hope my body can take it..."
Serpentarius
Might just like this board

Unread postby Sepheriel » September 1st, 2008, 2:21 pm

Serpentarius wrote:
CSXLoser wrote:imagines Emiya with Goku's voice*
"I hope my body can take it..."

LMFAO. All that grunting and groaning would kill me.
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby zweiterversuch » September 1st, 2008, 3:02 pm

why? they are almost the same...
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby gexer64 » September 1st, 2008, 4:30 pm

If that's the case we'll have to add twenty episodes of fillers of grunting and twitching for the powering up activating of magical circuits and Excalibur. They'll also add in an episode of iron chef shirou.
gexer64
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » September 1st, 2008, 4:54 pm

Well since it was already done, I dn't think they are redoing any episodes for that. Also, I think eveyone is kind of fixated that since it's done by Funi they're going to use the DBZ VAs for the redub. Well from my guess they are just re-releasing it under Funi's name. Although if they do a redub, I'm sure they aren't going to try and DBZ the voices... one can only hope that they won't do that.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby that one guy » September 1st, 2008, 6:27 pm

If they did have DBZ re-dubs, would we get a blackface Gil meme involving "I'MA CHARGIN MY EA!"
that one guy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » September 1st, 2008, 9:01 pm

that one guy wrote:If they did have DBZ re-dubs, would we get a blackface Gil meme involving "I'MA CHARGIN MY EA!"

Ok I lol'ed at that.

It seems when anyone things of Funi they instantly think of DBZ. I guess it's because it's one of thier major franchises or something around that order. The up side is at least it's being distributed again. Although the bad thing would be it had to be Funi didn't it I guess.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby AlinSabel » September 1st, 2008, 9:16 pm

Sadly, there aren't many English VAs (doesn't pay very well, so who would?). So they will probably be a lot of familliar voices. I, for one, am tired of hearing Yuri Lowenthal's voice.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby shadow_Hiei » September 3rd, 2008, 11:29 am

ITT anti-dub elitists that have no idea what they're talking about; I'm getting the impression that some of you haven't really watched dubs without the intent of finding them absolutely horrible (which makes a huge difference; if you're watching so that you can have some legitimacy to your claims when you say "shit sux", then you'll even find dubs like CB and Berserk annoying), if you've even watched a decent anime-boom-era dub at all. (there seem to be a surprising amount of people that bash dubs and then go on to talk about how the R1 companies censor everything)

As far as I know, Funimation didn't start handling the DBZ dub until the Ginyu Arc.

Remember that long break on Toonami before DBZ started back up again with new VAs? They redubbed the early episodes later with those VAs, as well.

I also didn't see anything wrong with the DBZ dub. As long as you keep the same atmosphere, its going to sound corny. Though maybe a little more so if its in a language that you can actually understand.

Edit: Also, I think that its worth mentioning that all but a few of my favorite VAs are R1. Steven Blum, Crispin Freeman, Hilary Haag, Justin Cook, Mark Diraison (dude needs more roles), etc.
shadow_Hiei
Addict

Unread postby AlinSabel » September 3rd, 2008, 11:57 am

I like how you set it up so that anyone that disagrees with you is made to seem like they set out to hate dubs.

And 'decent anime-boom-era dub' -> if we point out one bad dub, you'll probably say 'that's not a decent one'.

I definitely didn't like the new VAs in DBZ - Krillin's VA was replaced with the kind of voice that is reserved for villains, amongst other changes. While watching a DVD of the Cooler arc, I changed between Jap Audio+subs and English audio. Sometimes I had English audio and the subs from the Japanese audio. There are some parts where the English version had added dialogue to fill up "boring" parts, and other ones where the translation wasn't exactly ideal (mouth-flaps probably had something to do with this). I'm not really a great fan of things like that.

It's a children's anime, so I won't say anything about how corny it is/was.

And... you probably just named most of the English VAs. There are just so few of them.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby shadow_Hiei » September 3rd, 2008, 1:37 pm

AlinSabel wrote:I like how you set it up so that anyone that disagrees with you is made to seem like they set out to hate dubs.

And 'decent anime-boom-era dub' -> if we point out one bad dub, you'll probably say 'that's not a decent one'.

I definitely didn't like the new VAs in DBZ - Krillin's VA was replaced with the kind of voice that is reserved for villains, amongst other changes. While watching a DVD of the Cooler arc, I changed between Jap Audio+subs and English audio. Sometimes I had English audio and the subs from the Japanese audio. There are some parts where the English version had added dialogue to fill up "boring" parts, and other ones where the translation wasn't exactly ideal (mouth-flaps probably had something to do with this). I'm not really a great fan of things like that.

It's a children's anime, so I won't say anything about how corny it is/was.

And... you probably just named most of the English VAs. There are just so few of them.

So you watched in Japanese, switched over to English, went "ugh", and changed it back? That's more or less the same as watching clips. It doesn't really give you a chance to get used to the new VAs, and they're speaking in a language that you can understand so that amplifies it, so of course its going to sound terrible.

lolwut @ saying that Krillain's voice sounded villain-like

And there's nothing wrong with spicing up the dialogue if its done right. Look at YYH. I don't remember anything too annoying along those lines in the DBZ dub, either.

And my attitude is because most of the people in this thread have an air of just being ill-informed people that haven't seen many dubs and don't know much about the R1 industry, which are just the sort to start attacking dubs when they have no idea what they're talking about.

As far as assuming that dub haters generally watch dubs with no intent of liking them or haven't seen enough to justify having an opinion on dubs in general:

1. Most of them only have generalized opinions that don't really attack anything in particular and seem to emulating the popular opinion more than anything. THE BLEACH DUB FUCKING SUCKS! *topic* And then no one is able to come up with a legitimate complaint against the dub or pinpoint anything in particular, because quiet frankly, its decent. These people often seem to belong to the 14-year-old fanboy crowd that believe that believe that the R1 companies often censor their DVDs.

2. They blow the terribleness of the dub up so much that it doesn't even seem like they're referring to the same dub that I saw. A lot of these things are subjective, but how could you consider the PPD dub to be THAT annoying? I mean, the first 2 minutes or so were, but once the VAs got settled into their roles, the delivery is pretty stable. (a fairly common thing with dubs; a lot of it has to do with adjusting to hearing new VAs on the characters as well, I think) I don't see how any of it could be considered that irritating. And the Death Note dub... how could you possibly hate that? I didn't like Death Note when I was following the fansubs, nor did I like any of the characters. The English VAs added character to the characters that they were portraying. They helped make the show enjoyable. There was NOTHING poor about that dub.

These things go down to individual characters as well. That "Do you know what this badass mother can do?!" line was corny as hell, but I don't see anything wrong with Kallen's VA. She's spot on. Actually, I'd say that of the four main characters, Kallen's VA's performance is the closest to her Japanese counterpart's. (I don't like Lelouch's dub voice, he just doesn't feel like Lelouch with that voice; JYB's Lelouch doesn't have the same feeling of authority as Fukuyama's; CC and Suzaku are both good, if a little different)

The fact that they tend to be literally 100% negative towards any given dub really doesn't help. Its like they're sitting there listening for any flaws, rather than trying to give general commentary.

3. A lot of their arguments seem to revolve around digging for things to attack. Watching people try to attack the Naruto dub at first was a great example of this. What's wrong with "Believe it"? Would you rather he continue spitting his Japanese catch phrase in the dub? On no, Choji didn't make that sound effect!

4. Small changes are always a bad thing. Neji's voice isn't deep enough! CC's voice has too much emotion! Akira from Mai HiME's voice has too much emotion! (not that I'm going to say that Mai HiME had a great dub, a lot of the VAs sounded awkward (Nao) or flat (Takumi), there's obviously Shizuru's country bell accent; I had to switch over to Japanese once things started getting serious, though I did like Mai's voice; that was just one nitpicking example that came to mind)
shadow_Hiei
Addict

Unread postby Message » September 3rd, 2008, 2:32 pm

shadow_Hiei wrote:if you're watching so that you can have some legitimacy to your claims when you say "shit sux", then you'll even find dubs like CB and Berserk annoying.

I don't need to watch CB or Berserk in English to know that I'll find the voices annoying. American voices just don't work with anime. People comparing dubbing to translating a book are making an apples and pears comparison. Dubbing an anime is more on the order of using different spices for a meal. It's both spicy and both the same meal, but it tastes completely different. Or exchanging all trumpets for trombones in a brass instruments musicpiece. The same tune, but a totally different sound. If you happen to dislike music with several instruments exchanged with random stand-ins...

Of course, if you hear the tune or eat the meal for the first time you might still like it. But the moment I learn they're using the wrong instruments, I want to hear the composition in the correct form. And the moment I can listen to music in its original form, I don't want to listen to the surrogate re-recording anymore. It's like the old saying: You're content with what you have, until you can get something better.

Unread postby rubberchicken » September 3rd, 2008, 3:05 pm

The "original form" of anime is watching it in your native tongue, not hearing a bunch of (presumably) gibberish while reading it with subtitles.

Hell, the Japanese and English languages are different enough that merely translating a work fits the "same piece, different arrangement" analogy even better than dubbing does.

Besides which, I've heard some great arrangements of older pieces.
rubberchicken
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Sepheriel » September 3rd, 2008, 6:21 pm

Message wrote:
shadow_Hiei wrote:if you're watching so that you can have some legitimacy to your claims when you say "shit sux", then you'll even find dubs like CB and Berserk annoying.

I don't need to watch CB or Berserk in English to know that I'll find the voices annoying. American voices just don't work with anime. People comparing dubbing to translating a book are making an apples and pears comparison. Dubbing an anime is more on the order of using different spices for a meal. It's both spicy and both the same meal, but it tastes completely different. Or exchanging all trumpets for trombones in a brass instruments musicpiece. The same tune, but a totally different sound. If you happen to dislike music with several instruments exchanged with random stand-ins...

Of course, if you hear the tune or eat the meal for the first time you might still like it. But the moment I learn they're using the wrong instruments, I want to hear the composition in the correct form. And the moment I can listen to music in its original form, I don't want to listen to the surrogate re-recording anymore. It's like the old saying: You're content with what you have, until you can get something better.

All I do is if I start watching a show in either English or Japanese, I'll finish watching it like that. If I try and watch it in the other language later on, it just doesn't work right because you already paired up the voice with the character in your head so anything different just doesn't work.
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ayadew » September 3rd, 2008, 6:56 pm

Well the song used in the trailer, Roar of the Universe, is one of Kenji Kawai's best
Otherwise the trailer sucks as much as Funcom
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Tash » September 3rd, 2008, 6:58 pm

Message wrote:

I'd like to bring up Cromartie High. I found the Japanese version to be so dry that I couldn't make it past the second episode. A year later I decided to give the dub a try since I'm a fan of the manga and had heard good things about the dub, and I loved it. The main character's dub voice can make almost any line funny.
Tash
Addict

Unread postby AlinSabel » September 4th, 2008, 12:09 am

shadow_Hiei wrote:So you watched in Japanese, switched over to English, went "ugh", and changed it back? That's more or less the same as watching clips. It doesn't really give you a chance to get used to the new VAs, and they're speaking in a language that you can understand so that amplifies it, so of course its going to sound terrible.

lolwut @ saying that Krillain's voice sounded villain-like

And there's nothing wrong with spicing up the dialogue if its done right. Look at YYH. I don't remember anything too annoying along those lines in the DBZ dub, either.

And my attitude is because most of the people in this thread have an air of just being ill-informed people that haven't seen many dubs and don't know much about the R1 industry, which are just the sort to start attacking dubs when they have no idea what they're talking about.

Actually... you're wrong. I was watching it in English first. All of the DBZ episodes I watched were in English. I only decided to watch this particular episode in Japanese because it was there - it would go on to be the first time I watched anime with the original Japanese dialogue and subtitling. Instead of me being the one wanting to find fault in something, it is you.

And yes, my first impression of the new voice for Krillin was 'isn't that similar to the voice given to Captain Ginyu in the previous episodes?' Don't say 'lolwut', do back up your expression of incredulity with some concrete facts as to 'why' that voice wasn't villain like, as to 'why' the VA was correctly cast for that role.

It wasn't spicing up the dialogue, it was inserting dialogue where there was none.

Really, you're the one who is saying that dubs are good without backing it up. I've stated why I disliked the DBZ dub. I can say why I dislike the GITS dub (Aramaki was given a VA that sounds reedy and week, rather than wise and powerful <-- this, amongst other things).

So stop assuming that all dub haters are looking for problems in your beloved dubs. Some of us actually approach the whole thing with more intelligence and logic than you, yourself, are approaching the argument.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Einherjar » September 4th, 2008, 1:35 am

I'd like to bring up Cromartie High. I found the Japanese version to be so dry that I couldn't make it past the second episode. A year later I decided to give the dub a try since I'm a fan of the manga and had heard good things about the dub, and I loved it. The main character's dub voice can make almost any line funny.[/quote]
Well, it's not like good dubs don't exist, they just...
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

PreviousNext

Return to Fate/stay night Chat