Funimation's Fate/Stay Night

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » September 4th, 2008, 2:00 am

Speaking of dragonball ...

http://kotaku.com/5044692/oh-hollywood- ... dragonball

While you check that out I will just sit in my corner and cry ...
And the cutest anime character award goes to ... PINO
User avatar
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 399
Joined: April 19th, 2007, 1:43 pm
Location: Horny land

Unread postby Einherjar » September 4th, 2008, 2:18 am

Strangely, I was on that site just a few minutes ago...
The images suck, well not that I was expecting anything in the first place anyways.
User avatar
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: August 26th, 2007, 1:25 am
Location: Away

Unread postby shadow_Hiei » September 4th, 2008, 2:18 am

Message wrote:
shadow_Hiei wrote:if you're watching so that you can have some legitimacy to your claims when you say "shit sux", then you'll even find dubs like CB and Berserk annoying.

I don't need to watch CB or Berserk in English to know that I'll find the voices annoying. American voices just don't work with anime. People comparing dubbing to translating a book are making an apples and pears comparison. Dubbing an anime is more on the order of using different spices for a meal. It's both spicy and both the same meal, but it tastes completely different. Or exchanging all trumpets for trombones in a brass instruments musicpiece. The same tune, but a totally different sound. If you happen to dislike music with several instruments exchanged with random stand-ins...

Of course, if you hear the tune or eat the meal for the first time you might still like it. But the moment I learn they're using the wrong instruments, I want to hear the composition in the correct form. And the moment I can listen to music in its original form, I don't want to listen to the surrogate re-recording anymore. It's like the old saying: You're content with what you have, until you can get something better.


What shows have you seen dubbed, exactly?

You should watch the dubs that get a lot of praise (such as CB and Berserk) before you decide that the purist attitude is the right one.

Also, I've been watching fansubs for over 2 years now, so I'm not new to watching Japanese tracks, and I've still got to say that I'll take a decent dub over the Japanese track.
shadow_Hiei
Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: May 7th, 2007, 12:58 pm

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » September 4th, 2008, 3:30 am

It could be that when you hear the original dubs, and then hear the English dub you kind of feel like... yeah the subed version was better. Although there are few exceptions to that rule. Although it boils down to do the English VAs sound close enough to be the character they are currently voicing.
User avatar
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 8:08 pm
Location: Inside the Depletion Garden

Unread postby Message » September 4th, 2008, 7:36 am

shadow_Hiei wrote:What shows have you seen dubbed, exactly?

I've seen several German dubs before I was able to get Japanese anime. I enjoyed them a lot. Now I find them annoying. I have high doubts it will be any different for English dubs.

shadow_Hiei wrote:You should watch the dubs that get a lot of praise (such as CB and Berserk) before you decide that the purist attitude is the right one.

Well what I wrote I wrote from my own standpoint. I'm not going to dis dubbing in general, after all I enjoyed those German dubs available to me long ago (though I do believe that German is closer to Japanese than English, especially American English). But for me, I've found something better and that's the Japanese voices. I just find they fit much better with the genre. Even if the voice acting sucks in Japanese, at least it sounds more fitting.
User avatar
Message
Master of Bad Puns
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: October 25th, 2004, 6:27 pm
Location: Netherlands

Unread postby shadow_Hiei » September 4th, 2008, 9:40 am

Message wrote:
shadow_Hiei wrote:What shows have you seen dubbed, exactly?

I've seen several German dubs before I was able to get Japanese anime. I enjoyed them a lot. Now I find them annoying. I have high doubts it will be any different for English dubs.

shadow_Hiei wrote:You should watch the dubs that get a lot of praise (such as CB and Berserk) before you decide that the purist attitude is the right one.

Well what I wrote I wrote from my own standpoint. I'm not going to dis dubbing in general, after all I enjoyed those German dubs available to me long ago (though I do believe that German is closer to Japanese than English, especially American English). But for me, I've found something better and that's the Japanese voices. I just find they fit much better with the genre. Even if the voice acting sucks in Japanese, at least it sounds more fitting.


If you haven't even seen any English dubs, then you should stay out of English dub vs. Japanese track arguments instead of making assumptions. There wouldn't be a lot of fansub watchers praising English dubs if the dubs didn't sound natural.

Kid-Wolf wrote:It could be that when you hear the original dubs, and then hear the English dub you kind of feel like... yeah the subed version was better. Although there are few exceptions to that rule. Although it boils down to do the English VAs sound close enough to be the character they are currently voicing.


Yeah, sometimes they really don't fit (JYB as Lelouch), but most of the time, its a matter of getting used to hearing new VAs on the characters and possibly the new spins that they put on the character.
shadow_Hiei
Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: May 7th, 2007, 12:58 pm

Unread postby AlinSabel » September 4th, 2008, 10:26 am

Interesting how you completely ignored my reply posts. I'll assume you just missed them as the new page appeared. :roll:
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread postby shadow_Hiei » September 4th, 2008, 11:38 am

I did, but I deleted my first post and reworded (came across as overly-hostile), and forgot to respond to you again.

Didn't have much to say, anyways.

I will say that you're the first person that I've ever seen call Krillain's dub voice villain-like.
shadow_Hiei
Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: May 7th, 2007, 12:58 pm

Unread postby rubberchicken » September 4th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Message wrote:
shadow_Hiei wrote:You should watch the dubs that get a lot of praise (such as CB and Berserk) before you decide that the purist attitude is the right one.

Well what I wrote I wrote from my own standpoint. I'm not going to dis dubbing in general, after all I enjoyed those German dubs available to me long ago (though I do believe that German is closer to Japanese than English, especially American English). But for me, I've found something better and that's the Japanese voices. I just find they fit much better with the genre. Even if the voice acting sucks in Japanese, at least it sounds more fitting.


Um... since when is anime a "genre"? That'd be like calling all movies a single genre. I'm not sure what being a cartoon character has to do with what language you speak.

While I agree that the Japanese language does sound better-suited to some of the more frantic/overblown anime out there (comedies, a lot of shounen action series - although those are getting good English dubs these days as well), equating those with something like Bebop is just silly. I've watched the Bebop dub and found it superior to the Japanese; the English fits much more naturally into the show's pseudo-Jazz-Age setting.
rubberchicken
Crack Addic!
 
Posts: 183
Joined: May 14th, 2007, 5:31 pm

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » September 4th, 2008, 2:09 pm

That's basically a good point there rubberchicken, even I liked the dubbing in Bepop compared to it's original.

But what would happen if they just let Caucasian voice actors do the Caucasian characters and Asian voice actors do the Asian characters in both versions?
wait...that's not a bad idea, hmmm...
User avatar
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: July 25th, 2008, 11:46 am
Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby Raitei » September 4th, 2008, 2:21 pm

nanaya_shinya wrote:But what would happen if they just let Caucasian voice actors do the Caucasian characters and Asian voice actors do the Asian characters in both versions?
wait...that's not a bad idea, hmmm...
that's exactly what they do in tekken game series... (chinese vas voice acting chinese characters, japanese acting japanese characters, and such...) and I found it fits extremely well.

edit : the only hole is just a weird feeling that every character understands one another even when they speak different languages...
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
User avatar
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: August 7th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Location: Distant wilderness

Unread postby Tash » September 4th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Raitei wrote:
nanaya_shinya wrote:But what would happen if they just let Caucasian voice actors do the Caucasian characters and Asian voice actors do the Asian characters in both versions?
wait...that's not a bad idea, hmmm...
that's exactly what they do in tekken game series... (chinese vas voice acting chinese characters, japanese acting japanese characters, and such...) and I found it fits extremely well.

edit : the only hole is just a weird feeling that every character understands one another even when they speak different languages...

It's not stranger than everyone in the world speaking fluent Japanese.
Tash
Addict
 
Posts: 93
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Unread postby Raitei » September 5th, 2008, 1:00 am

uh, but they also understand animals, lol. (a bear, a panda, a kangaroo, and king's grunts)
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
User avatar
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: August 7th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Location: Distant wilderness

Unread postby AlinSabel » September 5th, 2008, 1:45 am

Nobody complained about Chewbacca. >_>;;
User avatar
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread postby Message » September 5th, 2008, 7:54 am

shadow_Hiei wrote:If you haven't even seen any English dubs, then you should stay out of English dub vs. Japanese track arguments instead of making assumptions. There wouldn't be a lot of fansub watchers praising English dubs if the dubs didn't sound natural.

Honey, like I said, German is a lot closer to Japanese than English. The few English dubs I've heard made me cringe, a lot more than German dubs make me cringe these days. If I dislike German dubs now, I most certainly will dislike English ones. The sound of the language just doesn't fit to anime, in my opinion.
User avatar
Message
Master of Bad Puns
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: October 25th, 2004, 6:27 pm
Location: Netherlands

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » September 5th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Message wrote:
shadow_Hiei wrote:If you haven't even seen any English dubs, then you should stay out of English dub vs. Japanese track arguments instead of making assumptions. There wouldn't be a lot of fansub watchers praising English dubs if the dubs didn't sound natural.

Honey, like I said, German is a lot closer to Japanese than English. The few English dubs I've heard made me cringe, a lot more than German dubs make me cringe these days. If I dislike German dubs now, I most certainly will dislike English ones. The sound of the language just doesn't fit to anime, in my opinion.


Well in the end it aways boils down to each person's state I guess. I mean some people like English dubs only, while others like the original VAs. Although there are a few that like both, along with those that have their own language dubed as well. Although in the end it really does vartry from person to person.
User avatar
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 8:08 pm
Location: Inside the Depletion Garden

Unread postby AnimeFanChris » September 5th, 2008, 4:35 pm

I personally can't wait to buy this boxset to support fate/stay night and to own the dvds. :D I think the dub seems good from the clips I've heard of it.
User avatar
AnimeFanChris
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 1
Joined: August 28th, 2007, 8:03 pm

Previous

Return to Fate/stay night Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron