Fate/stay night title meaning

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby SmellyGoomba » August 25th, 2008, 10:59 pm

Oh snap that one guy, you lurking in here too? :P

As for the Yumiduka issue, why is it like that with a "d" and not a "z"? The same goes for this anime I dl'ed called Kannazuki no Miko, but the subbers left it as Kannaduki even though it's clearly with a "z"
SmellyGoomba
Might just like this board

Unread postby Message » August 26th, 2008, 6:43 am

SmellyGoomba wrote:As for the Yumiduka issue, why is it like that with a "d" and not a "z"? The same goes for this anime I dl'ed called Kannazuki no Miko, but the subbers left it as Kannaduki even though it's clearly with a "z"

Believe it or not, this particular question has been discussed a dozen times over. The answer is simple, though: There is no "real" or "correct" way to romanize Japanese, you can write it however the heck you want to write it. Most Japanese are used to a d. Most Westerners are used to a z. Of course for the sake of communication, it tends to pay off to write things in a way people can understand. :P

Thus, Yumiduka is not a good example of Engrish at all, as it is in fact perfectly correct, technically... >__>;;

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » August 26th, 2008, 7:17 am

SmellyGoomba wrote:As for the Yumiduka issue, why is it like that with a "d" and not a "z"? The same goes for this anime I dl'ed called Kannazuki no Miko, but the subbers left it as Kannaduki even though it's clearly with a "z"

Yeah, about that...

Although it is written as "tu", it is read as "tsu", same goes for "du", which is read as "zu". Reason is, the Japanese just don't have /tu/, /du/, and /ti/. -note that "ti" is "chi", and even if they seem to be able to pronounce /du/, it's just "DOu-" (romanized for those without Japanese fonts), which is pronounced as "doo".

It's also the reason for FF7's "Aeris" and "Aerith".

and I quote Jamie Hyneman..."Well, There's your problem!"

Studying Japanese language helped me with this, and yes, as Message said, it is technically correct.
Last edited by nanaya_shinya on August 26th, 2008, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby Shandara » August 26th, 2008, 7:39 am

that one guy wrote:And how could we forget Yumiduka Satsuki. That's a personal favorite.

I can only say... "poor Sacchin"
Shandara
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » August 26th, 2008, 8:00 am

Undream wrote:Also, i like 'Blue blue glass moon, under the crimson air'
It is not unnecesary engrish, at least not for me.

"Blue blue glass moon"
I think it's talking about the moon, that appears bluish, and looked as if it is made of glass. (Although, I've never actually seen a blue moon in my life... I'm pretty sure the moon appeared bluish before.)
Edit: There was a blue moon on July 2004, I just missed it.

"under the crimson air"
Probably using the word "crimson" as a substitute for "blood", as the color "crimson" depicts the color of blood. So it could be about the blood-stenched air, ("crimson air" probably means bloody air or something, hence it reeks of blood)

Which could make sense because of the existence of vampires and it's connection with the moon, and the faint smell of blood of their victims in the air.
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby Einherjar » August 26th, 2008, 3:53 pm

nanaya_shinya wrote:
Undream wrote:Also, i like 'Blue blue glass moon, under the crimson air'
It is not unnecesary engrish, at least not for me.

"Blue blue glass moon"
I think it's talking about the moon, that appears bluish, and looked as if it is made of glass. (Although, I've never actually seen a blue moon in my life... I'm pretty sure the moon appeared bluish before.)
Edit: There was a blue moon on July 2004, I just missed it.

"under the crimson air"
Probably using the word "crimson" as a substitute for "blood", as the color "crimson" depicts the color of blood. So it could be about the blood-stenched air, ("crimson air" probably means bloody air or something, hence it reeks of blood)

Which could make sense because of the existence of vampires and it's connection with the moon, and the faint smell of blood of their victims in the air.

Glass = fragile btw. Mostly dealing with that specific bloody night when Shiki's young.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby HeartCard » August 26th, 2008, 5:57 pm

My thoughts are that:

"Blue Blue Glass Moon, Under the Crimson Air"
This refers to two certain "Bad" endings in my opinion.
Both on the Far Side of Tsukuhime:
First with Akiha's Route:
When one chooses to kill ciel.
Shiki gets up, notes the blue+glasslike texture of the moon. And walks off to be a murder(under the crimson air).

Then with Kohaku's Route:
When Shiki manages to kill Akiha during the end of the game. He again notes the texture of the moon and then stumbles off while being near-dead(under the crimson moon)

It could also be about Shiki in general:
"Blue Blue Glass Moon" could refer to how, whenever Shiki takes off his glasses, the entire world gets Smurf'd.(Blue Blue)
(Seriously, the entire world turns blue by his eyes for some reason.)
And during this time, he can see how Fragile and glass-like the world is with the "lines"(Glass Moon).
Blue Blue=The colour of Death.
Glass=Fragility of Life
Moon=How the entire world is Glass-like.
Like EPIC HOLY SHATNER Shiki "killing" the planet. Poor Shirou...You can be as Gar as possible, but you cannot be that level of epic win ever...Sorry

"Under Crimson Air" could refer to the constant bead of Arcuied over him. Crimson Air, as in the Aura of a Vampire.
Likewise, it could also refer to how the "Blue Blue Glass Moon" is constantly within an entrapment of bloodshed such that the Tsukuhime routes show.

As for Fate/Stay Night I would have to say that it's actually either:
A. A reference to that it is the Master's |Fates| to |Stay| within the Holy Grail War due to the |night| they died.
EX: A master is killed by a servant. That master's eternal fate is now to Stay within that night forever.

B. All about Saber.
Speaking of how she is trying to Change "Fate" and elect a new King in her place. And is thus being forced to "Stay" in the night-time wars of the Holy Grail. Or how she is "Stay"ing at her last moments/"Night"(Albeit it was daytime).

C. Speaking of Archer.
Speaking of how he is trying to change his "Fate" of being a Counter Guardian. And "Stay Night" refers to how he must, to his dismay, end up letting things go on as they had for him. EX: Letting himself die to berserker in the Fate route. Or To let Shirou leave when he CLEARLY could have killed him after the last blow in the VS scene or when he finished off gilgamesh. Or when he accepts Shirou's choices, giving up his own happiness of being free from becoming a guardian to let Shirou proceed to victory.
Or "Stay Night" could refer to how Archer is Stuck(Stay) being his Darkness(Night) as a Counter Guardian, being that he is forced to slaughter humans again and again.

Just my take on it.
HeartCard
Addict

Unread postby that one guy » August 26th, 2008, 8:23 pm

Goomba: Yeah, I finally broke down and got an account. Still the ruler of the GFAQs boards though.

And, while yes it's TECHNICALLY correct, that's not what it sounds like. If you want to do a full Romanization, it should be Yumidzuka, instead of Yumizuka or Yumiduka. This may just be a guess on my part, but I think if you pronounced Yumiduka to a Japanese person, they'd just kind of look at you with a "WTF?" kind of expression.
that one guy
Crack Desu!

Previous

Return to Fate/stay night Chat