Fate stay night for psp questions

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

FSN for psp a good idea?

yes
44%
no
6%
don't care
25%
GAR!
25%

Total votes : 36

Fate stay night for psp questions

Unread postby twilightlegacy » August 20th, 2008, 9:05 pm

recently i found a guide on getting fate stay night onto psp.

although i'm a complete newbie with computer stuff (i don't know computer stuff like C++, java, etc), i somehow managed to get the japanese version running on my psp (it's a miracle!).

Anyways, since it's in japanese I thought that maybe I could make a english version by inserting the english translation from mirrormoon using 2-byte characters (after all, the japanese version only reads 2-byte characters, i think...right?).

when i tried it though, it appears on screen in this fashion:

----- I a s k o f y o u , a r e y o u m y m a s t e r ?

although when i originally typed it into the psp text file, it looked like this:

-----I ask of you, are you my master?

i mean, it's perfectly legible and all, but it just doesn't all fit on screen because of the spaces. if i use 1-byte characters, the translation is just skipped entirely.

like i said before, i'm a complete n00b when it comes to stuff like this. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong? Is it even possible to fix this? if i can remove the spacing, i could probably get a english psp version working (though it would take alot of time).

apparently, it's using nscripter (not 100% sure though). it has an arc.nsa file so i'm guessing it's nscripter. dunno if knowing this will help at all though.

the FSN file itself looks like this:
http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fatepspcc3.jpg
This FSN is compatable with the latest custom firmware (4.01) because that's what i'm using :)

oh, and can someone show me how to get a txt file of the english translation. right now i've been playing through the game on the pc and alt-tabbing to notepad to type in the english translation. Then I manually transfer the translation to the psp text file. VERY tiring process. it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. i hope mirrormoon staff won't mind me using their translation. it's just that i would really like a portable version of FSN (although there is port for NDS, i don't have a nds -_-)
twilightlegacy
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Tash » August 21st, 2008, 12:38 am

I believe it already exists. I remember it being mentioned in the DS port topic.
Tash
Addict

Re: Fate stay night for psp questions

Unread postby Message » August 21st, 2008, 7:48 am

twilightlegacy wrote:P.S. i hope mirrormoon staff won't mind me using their translation.

We won't, as long as you don't redistribute it without our consent.

Unread postby Balcerzak » August 21st, 2008, 12:35 pm

twilightlegacy wrote:oh, and can someone show me how to get a txt file of the english translation. right now i've been playing through the game on the pc and alt-tabbing to notepad to type in the english translation. Then I manually transfer the translation to the psp text file. VERY tiring process. it would be much appreciated.

I don't know the answers to any of your other questions, without having to do your research for you, but I can help out here, as I'm already somewhat familiar with the steps (having considered using such a method to help with proof-reading. This was back when I was thinking I'd do one pass, without proofing, just to enjoy the story uninterrupted, and then a second to catch grammar and typos. This idea was later discarded as being twice as much work as simply doing the proofing while playing through the game).

A quick "search" of the forums here provide a couple of reference threads detailing how to use Susie to open and browse the .xp3 files (and also have some tips for working with the .tlg image files as well). One thread even was started by someone who was also attempting a PSP conversion, so maybe you can swap notes with him (though he may not still be active).

Links:
Compact post with the links you'll need for Susie (browse the rest of the thread for other info).
Older, similar, thread.
The thread with the other PSP converting guy.

Once you can open and view the .xp3 files, the one you'll want to grab translations from is patch2.xp3 (as I'm assuming you won't need the versions with the voice patch flags for your port).

Inside you'll see a bunch of files. The ones you'll probably be most interested in will look like the following:
セイバールート二日目-08.ks
(Saber Route - 2nd Day - 08.ks)
凛ルート九日目-03.ks
(Rin Route - 9th Day - 03.ks)
桜ルート七日目-19.ks
(Sakura Route - 7th Day - 19.ks)
プロローグ2日目.ks
(Prologue 2nd Day.ks)
セイバーエピローグ.ks
(Saber Epilogue.ks)
etc.

Of course, the kanji for which day it is will change, so you'll have to learn how to count in Japanese, or machine-translate your way to success. Also each day is divided into some number of smaller files. Drag all of these files to your desktop, or some other convenient place on your hard-drive (outside of the xp3 archive). Then, open the .ks files in notepad (or your favorite text editor), as they're simply text files. Inside you'll find something that looks like this:

Saber Route - 2nd Day - 08.ks wrote:*page0|&f.scripttitle
@cm
@rclick call=true
@textoff
@i2oT file=o弓道場前-(夕)
@texton
[wrap text=""] [wrap text="I'm"]I'm [wrap text="worried"]worried [wrap text="about"]about [wrap text="the"]the [wrap text="conversation"]conversation [wrap text="I"]I [wrap text="had"]had [wrap text="this"]this [wrap text="morning,"]morning, [wrap text="so"]so [wrap text="I've"]I've [wrap text="made"]made [wrap text="my"]my [wrap text="way"]way [wrap text="to"]to [wrap text="the"]the [wrap text="archery"]archery [wrap text="club"]club [wrap text="before"]before [wrap text="I"]I [wrap text="knew"]knew [wrap text="it."]it.[l][r]
@r
[wrap text=""] [wrap text="-Geez,"]"Geez, [wrap text="what"]what [wrap text="am"]am [wrap text="I"]I [wrap text="doing?-"]doing?"[l][r]
@r
[wrap text=""] [wrap text="According"]According [wrap text="to"]to [wrap text="Mitsuzuri,"]Mitsuzuri, [wrap text="Tohsaka"]Tohsaka [wrap text="Rin"]Rin [wrap text="comes"]comes [wrap text="here"]here [wrap text="often."]often.[l][r]
[wrap text=""] [wrap text="Well,"]Well, [wrap text="I"]I [wrap text="really"]really [wrap text="don't"]don't [wrap text="care"]care [wrap text="about"]about [wrap text="that,"]that, [wrap text="but"]but [wrap text="I"]I [wrap text="know"]know [wrap text="that"]that [wrap text="Shinji"]Shinji [wrap text="getting"]getting [wrap text="angry"]angry [wrap text="at"]at [wrap text="her"]her [wrap text="is"]is [wrap text="going"]going [wrap text="to"]to [wrap text="be"]be [wrap text="a"]a [wrap text="problem."]problem.
@pg
*page1|
[wrap text=""] [wrap text="-...Shinji"]"...Shinji [wrap text="just"]just [wrap text="doesn't"]doesn't [wrap text="stop"]stop [wrap text="when"]when [wrap text="he"]he [wrap text="gets"]gets [wrap text="angry....-"]angry...."[l][r]

Saber Route - 2nd Day - 08.ks wrote:@pg
*page4|
@r
@textoff
@play file=bgm04 time=400
@ld_auto pos=center file=一成03e(近) index=5000 time=300 method=crossfade
@texton
[wrap text=""] [wrap text="-So..."]"So... [wrap text="who's"]who's [wrap text="not"]not [wrap text="here?-"]here?"[l][r]
@r
[wrap text=""] [wrap text="And"]And [wrap text="there's"]there's [wrap text="Issei,"]Issei, [wrap text="whom"]whom [wrap text="I"]I [wrap text="just"]just [wrap text="left"]left [wrap text="behind."]behind.
@pg
*page5|

As you can see, there's a lot of scripting and formatting in there that you'll have to clean up (you could probably even write a neat little python script, or some C++, or perl, or something to make it easier), but if you can automate that, it will beat alt-tabbing and retyping things by hand.

I still have my prototype (hideously coded) C++ program that I did some test-stripping with. It had some mistakes, but it did do a reasonable job of cleaning things up if I remember correctly. (I believe most of the problems happened when actual '[' or ']' characters occurred in the script, though I cannot swear to this with certainty. Also I think long strings of hyphens are referenced as [line3] or [line4] or something, where higher numbers were for longer lines. I also left a few of the formatting tags in on purpose, for seperating page breaks and line breaks.) You'd need an interpreter of some sort to run it, though, or figure out how to compile and run it yourself. I use the interpreter included with Root, but that's just because I already use Root for work, so it was readily available. Sadly, I was using it on a machine that couldn't handle Japanese filenames so I had to rename all of the files. This could probably be avoided. At any rate, you could check it out here. Included is a .C file, and a .sh file (for generating the list of inputs to put into the .C file). Below is a copy of the above example lines after stripping.

stripped file wrote:*page0|&f.scripttitle[
I'm worried about the conversation I had this morning, so I've made my way to the archery club before I knew it.[l][r]
"Geez, what am I doing?"[l][r]
According to Mitsuzuri, Tohsaka Rin comes here often.[l][r]
Well, I really don't care about that, but I know that Shinji getting angry at her is going to be a problem.
*page1|
"...Shinji just doesn't stop when he gets angry...."[l][r]
It's bad if Shinji gets violent just because she turned him down.[l][r]
...I don't know why it's bad, it's just bad.[l][r]
It makes me feel bad just thinking about it, so I have to stop it from happening.
*page2|
"Oh, Tohsaka's not here."[l][r]
Tohsaka isn't around. Mitsuzuri's worries were needless.
*page3|
"Oh, who's not here?"[l][r]
"...!!"[l][r]
I spin around.
*page4|
"So... who's not here?"[l][r]
And there's Issei, whom I just left behind.
*page5|
"Oh, i-it's you, Issei. Don't scare me like that."[l][r]
"Well, you were looking at the dojo suspiciously.[l][r]
So, who's not there?"[l][r]
"Tohsaka. I heard that she had an argument with Shinji yesterday, so I came to see how things were."
*page6|

There may be other (better) ways, but this is what I know how to do, so that's all I can really offer you.
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby twilightlegacy » August 21st, 2008, 6:58 pm

Tash wrote:I believe it already exists. I remember it being mentioned in the DS port topic.

if there is, then google has failed me :shock:

i searched all over the place and could only find a nds translation. there was one person who started a psp translation on a different forum, but said it was too buggy. and besides, it was in a thread from a year or 2 ago. It seemed pretty dead.

and Balcerzak, thanks for all of the info :) . it seems like i can get most of the script now, but now i gotta figure out what the whole spacing deal is about. i'll try to get the scripts later tonight because i'm going somewhere soon.

after that, since i don't really know how to program anything that can type in translated text, etc. ill just have to copy and paste the script by hand into the psp text file (bleh, lots of work)

thanks for the help.

edit: i'm not 100% sure, but i saw someone who was working on a tsukihime psp port another forum. maybe someone would be interested in that.
twilightlegacy
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby inferno_flamex » August 23rd, 2008, 8:58 am

There's FSN for the PSP!???

ME WANT!!! Me want! Me Want!

So... Do you guys follow from Realta Nua? Or from the PC.
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby twilightlegacy » August 23rd, 2008, 12:22 pm

inferno_flamex wrote:There's FSN for the PSP!???

ME WANT!!! Me want! Me Want!

So... Do you guys follow from Realta Nua? Or from the PC.

as far as i can tell, it's the pc version. Only in japanese too.

BUT, im sure someone could make a realta nua version (as long as they can extract the image files and translated the new text, AND insert the new text).
Not like i could ever pull off something like that :?

would be interesting though. anyways, i still can't find out the spacing problem :?

looks like i won't be finishing anytime soon.
twilightlegacy
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Nintendo Maniac 64 » September 7th, 2008, 4:16 am

(ok, please don't flame me because my name has Nintendo in it >_>)

With the recent boom in Wii homebrew, I wonder if a Wii version could be possible. Like the PSP (and unlike the DS) it doesn't require any modchips or unofficial 3rd party hardware - only a Zelda: TP game (wii version), an SD card, and a way to download things from the internet onto that SD card.
Nintendo Maniac 64
Crack Addic!

Unread postby twilightlegacy » September 29th, 2008, 2:39 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:(ok, please don't flame me because my name has Nintendo in it >_>)

With the recent boom in Wii homebrew, I wonder if a Wii version could be possible. Like the PSP (and unlike the DS) it doesn't require any modchips or unofficial 3rd party hardware - only a Zelda: TP game (wii version), an SD card, and a way to download things from the internet onto that SD card.

phew, haven't logged on for a while.

anyways, a wii version is definitely possible. the only problem is someone would have to get nscripter (or kiri kiri) to work on the Wii. once that is done, you simply would have to replace the japanese script with the english one (not 100% sure on this, but it's an educated guess :? ). However, since wii homebrew is relatively new, I doubt there's one out yet. In time, though, there most likely will be port (that is, if what I know about the otaku community in japan is true.)

On another note, I solved all the problems with the psp version of FSN. all that's left is to insert the english text. unfortunately, no matter how much i try, i can't get a readable copy of the english script at all. i used what Balcerzak previously suggested in this thread, but the furthest i can go is the extraction of the files from the patch2.xp3; After that, the scripts come up as 6666666666666666 or something like that. It's probably something with my computer, but unfortunately, I'm retarded when it comes to computers.

anyone willing to help me get the scripts?

I guess I'll just wait until heaven's feel comes out so that i can insert all the text at once. Hopefully, by then, I'll have a readable script.

and I just want to mention that there is a DS version of tsukihime, FSN, and a couple of other visual novels.
twilightlegacy
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Balcerzak » September 29th, 2008, 10:35 am

twilightlegacy wrote:On another note, I solved all the problems with the psp version of FSN. all that's left is to insert the english text. unfortunately, no matter how much i try, i can't get a readable copy of the english script at all. i used what Balcerzak previously suggested in this thread, but the furthest i can go is the extraction of the files from the patch2.xp3; After that, the scripts come up as 6666666666666666 or something like that. It's probably something with my computer, but unfortunately, I'm retarded when it comes to computers.

anyone willing to help me get the scripts?

I guess I'll just wait until heaven's feel comes out so that i can insert all the text at once. Hopefully, by then, I'll have a readable script.

and I just want to mention that there is a DS version of tsukihime, FSN, and a couple of other visual novels.

That's a very bizarre sounding problem.

I don't think the mirror moon scripts are encrypted, as toggling around the encryption options in the xp3 plugin didn't seem to affect my ability to extract a readable script.

It's my understanding that all of the mirror moon scripts are Unicode encoded, so make sure you're using a program that can read that. (I wouldn't expect this would be the problem though, to be perfectly honest.)

Also make sure your OS is set up to handle filenames with foreign characters in them (that might be your problem).

If you could give me the exact name of a particular script you're trying to extract, as well as it's exact file size I could try to help with more trouble shooting. Maybe we could have you try opening it in a hex editor (though I don't know what more this would tell us...)?

I really don't know what your problem might be, I've never had that problem before, but my machine is set with "Language for non-unicode programs" to Japanese (Control Panel->Regional and language->Advanced). Maybe you could try using that, or opening the script files with Applocale? Does your computer have East Asian fonts installed? There's still some Japanese floating around in the scripting commands, if I remember right, so maybe that's thwarting your efforts?

Edit: Alternately, if Susie keeps giving you a hard time, maybe you could try insani's xp3 tools and see if those give you better results?
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby twilightlegacy » September 30th, 2008, 1:49 am

Balcerzak wrote:
Also make sure your OS is set up to handle filenames with foreign characters in them (that might be your problem).

I really don't know what your problem might be, I've never had that problem before, but my machine is set with "Language for non-unicode programs" to Japanese (Control Panel->Regional and language->Advanced). Maybe you could try using that, or opening the script files with Applocale? Does your computer have East Asian fonts installed? There's still some Japanese floating around in the scripting commands, if I remember right, so maybe that's thwarting your efforts?

Edit: Alternately, if Susie keeps giving you a hard time, maybe you could try insani's xp3 tools and see if those give you better results?

I doubled checked to be safe, but yes, i have east asian fonts installed and my os has japanese for non-unicode programs. Also, susie worked fine for me. i'm going to try the extraction on my downstairs computer. maybe it's vista thats screwing things up. anyways, i'll report the results back later.

oh, btw, is there any way you can explain in more detail how to use your C++ script to clean up the FSN scripts? Frankly, I am a complete novice at this kind of stuff, so it would be appreciated. thanks for your help :)

Edit: no luck. all the scripts look like this:
http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... y00wz2.jpg

sigh, looks like I'll have to wait and hope that the heaven's feel patch works.
twilightlegacy
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby AxemRed » October 4th, 2008, 2:17 pm

twilightlegacy wrote:Edit: no luck. all the scripts look like this:

Looks like UTF-16 to me.
Start notepad, File -> Open -> change encoding to Unicode -> Open
AxemRed
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Balcerzak » October 4th, 2008, 7:08 pm

twilightlegacy wrote:I doubled checked to be safe, but yes, i have east asian fonts installed and my os has japanese for non-unicode programs. Also, susie worked fine for me. i'm going to try the extraction on my downstairs computer. maybe it's vista thats screwing things up. anyways, i'll report the results back later.

oh, btw, is there any way you can explain in more detail how to use your C++ script to clean up the FSN scripts? Frankly, I am a complete novice at this kind of stuff, so it would be appreciated. thanks for your help :)

Edit: no luck. all the scripts look like this:

sigh, looks like I'll have to wait and hope that the heaven's feel patch works.

First things first, let's try to figure out what's wrong with your file extraction.

To avoid random guessing as to whether your notepad is misidentifying the type of encoding used, let's just have you open the file named セイバールート一日目-00.ks (just as an example, since that seems to be the one in your screenshot) in a hex editor. Do the first 64 bytes look like this?
Code: Select all
FF FE 2A 00 70 00 61 00 67 00 65 00 30 00 7C 00
26 00 66 00 2E 00 73 00 63 00 72 00 69 00 70 00
74 00 74 00 69 00 74 00 6C 00 65 00 0D 00 0A 00
40 00 63 00 6D 00 0D 00 0A 00 40 00 72 00 63 00

If they do, then your file is (most likely) correctly extracted, and something has gone horribly wrong with your notepad. Try a different text editor, and hope that that one doesn't fail too.

If they do not match, then something got fubarred in the extraction process and you'll need to figure out what happened and fix it.

Did you try to use the insani extraction tools, to double-check that Susie was actually extracting properly (instead of just appearing to)? Please use the insani tools and see if you're having the same issues on the files that are extracted that way.

As far as the c++ goes:
  ifstream infile;
  infile.open(name);

ofstream outfile;
  char writename [150];
  sprintf(writename,"%s%s", name,"_cleaned.txt");
  outfile.open(writename);

The first block reads in the file named "name". The second block opens a file named "name_cleaned.txt".

char ch, peek;
  bool more = true;
  bool accept = true;

Define some variables to be used later in the script

while (more){
    if (infile.fail()){
      more = false;
      if (infile.eof()) cout <<"End of data"<<endl;
      else cout<<"Bad input"<<endl;
    }

Starts up a loop. The first thing done is to check whether the input stream is in a failed state, in which case we want to stop the loop. I also want to distinguish between expected failures (reaching the end of the file), and unexpected failures (bad input). This is not implemented with great style, as it forces one more loop than really necessary, using break would be better, but is still a half a loop more than needed. So I probably should have worked things out better to avoid things like that, but then again, it's not like the program is crunched for CPU or memory, so optimizing for efficiency isn't really a priority. Still it's not good for style either.
    else{
      infile.get(ch);

If it hasn't failed, I tell it to read in the next character in the file.

(I apologize for the forums messing up the indenting. Press "quote" to see it with proper indentation.)
      if (ch == '['){
   infile.get(peek);
   if (peek == 'w'){
     accept = false;
     infile.unget();
   }
   else {
     // accept = true;
     infile.unget();
     outfile.put(ch);
   }
      }

The first case deals with what to do if the character read in is a '['. Since the goal is to weed out all of the '[wrap text="..."]' chunks from the script, after ever '[' I check to see whether the immediate next character is a 'w', if it is, I say "Okay, from now on I don't want to accept any of the characters I'm reading in".

(Yes, this could lead to some false positives, if brackets were actually used in the script, such as "[we didn't want to be heard]", which is why I warned you that this was just a quick program I whipped up, and terribly coded to boot (I think I reinvented the peek functionality, because I forgot that it was included as a function of its own).

I don't remember why I wanted to unget if it turned out to be a 'w', that line probably doesn't need to be there (more sloppy coding?) If the character immediately following the '[' was not a 'w' I treated both it and the '[' as legitimate. I unget the character that followed the '[' (so that it's back to the front of the queue and will be looked at in the next loop pass-through), and I print the character (which happened to be a '[', but I'm referencing it by the variable I stored it in anyways) into the output file.

else if (ch == ']'){
   if (accept) outfile.put(ch);
   accept = true;
      }

If the character read in was a ']', this is my cue that the '[wrap text="..."]' block has ended. If I was still accepting characters (for instance the leading '[' was not followed by a 'w', or ']' occurred without a '[' to precede it) I print out the ']' to the output file. Regardless of whether I was accepting characters or not, I set the accept variable to true at this point.
      else if (ch == '@'){
   accept = false;
      }

The vast majority of the scripting and coding elements of the kirikiri language in the FSN files seemed to start the line with @. Right now whenever the file sees and '@' it will immediately ignore everything after it, until it sees some other reason not to. This is poorly coded, as if for instance "tohsaka@gmail.com" had come up in the script my program would totally make a mess of everything, leaving a gaping hole in the narrative.
      else if (ch == '\n'){
   accept = true;
   infile.get(peek);
   if (peek != '@'){
     infile.unget();
     outfile.put(ch);
   }
   if (peek == '@') accept = false;
      }

If the character read in is a newline character, that means it's time to start considering things again. If the character following the newline is not an '@' at character, send the newline to the output file. If the character following the newline is an '@' go ahead and set the status back to ignore character.
      else
    if (accept) outfile.put(ch);
    }

For any other character, if the status is currently in the accept state, print it out, if not, then don't. Proceed through the loop to look at the next character.

Like I said, it was a quick and dirty method, badly coded, but did a decent job of cleaning the script, so long as any special cases I didn't account for were not encountered.

Edit: I apparently completely misunderstood what you asked for. I thought you asked me to explain the c++ code, not how to use it. Like I previously mentioned, you'll need to get access to either a c++ compiler, or an interpreter. I could maybe try compiling an executable for you, but I've never tried compiling anything for windows. I'll briefly do some looking to see if I can get an interpreter or compiler working in windows, but I only have xp, so I don't know if you'll have problems with vista.

Edit2: Downloading the CINT binary for windows (Warning!: Does not appear to be vista compatible), untarring, unzipping, etc. will give you access to an interpreter. You will need to rename the text files so there are no Japanese characters in the title, additionally it seems they need to be ANSI encoded text files. You will need to open the ReadFile.C and rename the "ReadFile" function to "main". I would suggest putting all the text files you want to strip in the same directory as the CINT executable, as well as the ReadFile.C macro (with the 'body' function calls pointing to the appropriate files). Open a command shell by going to Run->cmd [ENTER]. cd your way to the directory with the CINT executable. Type cint.exe ReadFile.C. Wait for it to finish executing. Open up your stripped files.
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby twilightlegacy » October 5th, 2008, 2:17 am

i just tried a hex editor, and the bytes do not come out how you said it should. so, apparently, it's the actual extraction process.

i'll give the insani tools a shot again later. right now, though, i'm loaded with work. i'll try it when i have spare time. i'll try out that c++ interpreter too.

thanks for all the help, Balcerzak. i'll post the results later.
twilightlegacy
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby SaberX » October 14th, 2008, 8:49 pm

ZOMG F/SN for psp Me want NOW...
SaberX
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby NaeGevurah » December 24th, 2011, 12:00 am

I have a suspicion that it might be easier to patch Fate/stay night first, then convert to PSP.

I'm going to give it a shot I think ^_^
NaeGevurah
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Dark09 » January 26th, 2012, 1:10 am

I wouldn't mind having FSN on PSP, but at this point its already ported to VNDS. VNDS was designed for Nintendo DS, but is now also on Android phones/tablets...
Dark09
Totally hardly posted

Return to Fate/stay night Chat