Tohsaka Rin's Chants [Possible spoilers]

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Tohsaka Rin's Chants [Possible spoilers]

Unread postby Uberoy » July 25th, 2008, 10:39 pm

Something I've always wondered about. Why does she chant all her spells in Deutsh? Isn't she japanese? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance.
But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Re: Tohsaka Rin's Chants [Possible spoilers]

Unread postby Nephilm » July 25th, 2008, 10:57 pm

Uberoy wrote:Something I've always wondered about. Why does she chant all her spells in Deutsh? Isn't she japanese? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance.

German, and that's because her family is of mixed japanese/european magus blood.
Nephilm
Might just like this board

Unread postby Uberoy » July 25th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Oh, ok. Thanks for the fast reply ^^.
But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Re: Tohsaka Rin's Chants [Possible spoilers]

Unread postby kerogoth » July 26th, 2008, 7:30 am

Nephilm wrote:
Uberoy wrote:Something I've always wondered about. Why does she chant all her spells in Deutsh? Isn't she japanese? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance.

German, and that's because her family is of mixed japanese/european magus blood.

Deutsch is German for German, so he wasn't exactly wrong. :wink:
kerogoth
Might just like this board

Unread postby agesboy » July 26th, 2008, 8:09 am

She speaks Gelman, not German, sillies.
agesboy
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Ferozban » July 26th, 2008, 10:05 am

she is rather good compared to asuka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kod3dXK3 ... re=related

this gives me the creeps.
Ferozban
Addict

Unread postby Uberoy » July 26th, 2008, 11:12 am

Ferozban wrote:she is rather good compared to asuka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kod3dXK3 ... re=related

this gives me the creeps.

Hmm, I have to agree with that one. ^^
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Donvermicelli » July 26th, 2008, 2:37 pm

make it stop :shock:

There is one other reason I can think of why she chants in German but it's a pretty far fetched one. The brotherhood of Thule was an association who practiced magic, and they were around even before the middle ages. A famous member is Aleister Crowley a reknown satan worshipper in his time and perhaps an even more infamous person; Adolf hitler who eventualy became the leader of this brotherhood.
Donvermicelli
Addict

Unread postby Uberoy » July 26th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Donvermicelli wrote:Adolf hitler who eventualy became the leader of this brotherhood.

:shock:

Can you support this statement with a source?
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Loki » July 26th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Donvermicelli wrote:There is one other reason I can think of why she chants in German but it's a pretty far fetched one. The brotherhood of Thule was an association who practiced magic, and they were around even before the middle ages. A famous member is Aleister Crowley a reknown satan worshipper in his time and perhaps an even more infamous person; Adolf hitler who eventualy became the leader of this brotherhood.

Although it's no directly related to the topic, you're making some facts up. The Thule Society was formed around 1917/1918 (at the end of WW1). This party sponsored the DAP ("Deutsche Arbeiter Partei") which Hitler would later on transform into the Nazi Party. This is as close as you get if you really want to make a connection between Hitler and the Thule Society. The common ground was the ideology of anti-semitism, the aryan race and so on and the use of the swastika as a symbol. There are no facts Hitler was even a member of the Society; he actually looked down on their members (e.g. Alfred Rosenberg).

Concerning the occult, most of it seems to be fiction by the media or your usual conspiracy-fanatic. Recent movies (e.g. Hellboy) or animes (e.g. Full metal alchemist movie) added to it as well. And by the way, Aleister Crowley was a Britain and had no connections to Thule.

Back on topic:
It's German because Nasu did what many animes seem to do: Pick up a few german words, meddle them together as you see fit (don't mind proper grammar and spelling, google translations is more than enough) and it sounds wierd/foreign. You can find German in pretty much every second anime somewhere; be it the name of a agency, a chant or your sudden western transfer student.
The fact that Rin's familiy (or rather a part of it) is from europe is the most plausible justification.
Loki
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Uberoy » July 26th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Loki wrote:Back on topic:
It's German because Nasu did what many animes seem to do: Pick up a few german words, meddle them together as you see fit (don't mind proper grammar and spelling, google translations is more than enough) and it sounds wierd/foreign. You can find German in pretty much every second anime somewhere; be it the name of a agency, a chant or your sudden western transfer student.
The fact that Rin's familiy (or rather a part of it) is from europe is the most plausible justification.

That might be true, but I've heard that Nasu is a perfectionist (not sure of spelling), which forces him too have an explanation to everything he does, leaving no loose ends. Might just be something I've heard... :roll:
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Undream » July 26th, 2008, 10:30 pm

Uberoy wrote:
That might be true, but I've heard that Nasu is a perfectionist (not sure of spelling), which forces him too have an explanation to everything he does, leaving no loose ends. Might just be something I've heard... :roll:

He sure needs to perfect some things then...
"...One must wait continuously, one must pursue endlessly.
They must realize that it was impossible to succeed yet
at the same time be capable of enduring patiently.
Is that... the story of a dream that shouldn't be waited upon?..."
Last Episode
Undream
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ayadew » July 26th, 2008, 10:37 pm

The japanese just has something for german..
It's a pretty "commanding" language, so it's used for mecha-names, spells and whatnot that's supposed to be cool.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Raitei » July 27th, 2008, 1:34 am

Uberoy wrote:That might be true, but I've heard that Nasu is a perfectionist (not sure of spelling), which forces him too have an explanation to everything he does, leaving no loose ends. Might just be something I've heard... :roll:
then... I think we could use an explanation of why the english version of chants seems so different from the japanese ones... also, the so-infamous h-scenes...

It's a pretty "commanding" language, so it's used for mecha-names, spells and whatnot that's supposed to be cool.
yeah, like "aussenseiter", or "eins, zwei, drei" instead of a normal "one two three".
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby Tash » July 27th, 2008, 3:39 am

Uberoy wrote:[That might be true, but I've heard that Nasu is a perfectionist (not sure of spelling), which forces him too have an explanation to everything he does, leaving no loose ends. Might just be something I've heard... :roll:

Good. Maybe next he can explain why every European in the Nasuverse speaks fluent Japanese.
Tash
Addict

Unread postby AlinSabel » July 27th, 2008, 3:42 am

Because the person transcribing the story used a Babelfish. :D

Or! Because the Grail War is in Japan, they all decided to do Japanese immersion. XD
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raitei » July 27th, 2008, 4:13 am

Tash wrote:Good. Maybe next he can explain why every European in the Nasuverse speaks fluent Japanese.
only the house of einzbern and several other foreigners in f/sn are directly mentioned to be able to speak japanese fluently (e.g. the house of archibald and edelfelt, along with zelretch :P ). servants are exceptions, as their statuses are adjusted to the region in where they're summoned. but sure, we do spot one hole of the "perfection" there. :)
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei

Unread postby Swartt » July 27th, 2008, 3:43 pm

Btw, where is Tohsaka's Commandspell, you dont see it under the H scens, can she hide it or somthing?
Swartt
Addict

Unread postby Raitei » July 27th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Swartt wrote:Btw, where is Tohsaka's Commandspell, you dont see it under the H scens, can she hide it or somthing?
her left hand back was never shown, if you look closely. ;)
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei

Unread postby WingZero » July 27th, 2008, 4:59 pm

Oh yeah?

What about Shiro's supposed scar on his left shoulder he got from an accidental injury at work? (That consequently was criticized by Shinji and then Shiro quit the archery club (if not exactly because of criticism))
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Next

Return to Fate/stay night Chat