Kaladbolg and Aius

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Kaladbolg and Aius

Unread postby Ephyon » July 22nd, 2008, 2:02 pm

These two seem too constant to be regular typos, so I was interested in knowing the reasoning behind choosing these spellings. Sorry if it's been asked before, I didn't see it.

The first one just leaves me scratching my head. Ulster Cycle material tends to have several spellings ("Cu Chulainn" has like seven or so acceptable ones) and Caladbolg does have a few of its own, but if there's ONE thing that's always constant is that they all start with a "C".

Second, "Rho Aias/Aius" is supposed to be the shield of Ajax/Aias the Great from the Trojan war, thus owning the name to the hero. It's tricky since the shield isn't named in popular mythology, but the only way to get "Aius" I can think of is the phonetic spelling.
Ephyon
Might just like this board

Unread postby kerogoth » July 22nd, 2008, 10:04 pm

In the case of Caladbolg, if it is a latin word it would explain why it starts with a c, as latin doesn't have k's if I recal. I'm no expert on latin though, so I don't know whether it even is a latin name at all.

Rho Aius should probably be Aias, as it is a direct reference to the hero itself. I've always wondered what the Rho stands for, though.
kerogoth

Unread postby handey » July 22nd, 2008, 11:54 pm

caladbolg is irish, not latin, obviously. also, wikipedia may not be a very reliable source, but it does mention only two variants: caladbolg and caladcholg, and the article seems to be based on a dictionary of celtic mythology, so it's probably quite accurate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caladbolg
aius might be a different form of aias (genitive case, perhaps?), but i'm not exactly an expert in greek grammar. it's also the name of a roman god, but that's hardly related. also, its written Αἴαξ, or so wikipedia says, so the third character is an alpha, which is hardly ambiguous to transliterate.
handey
Addict

Unread postby Ephyon » July 31st, 2008, 1:27 am

Woah, what the hell?
Ephyon

Return to Fate/stay night Chat