Fate/Stay Night FAQ

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Fate/Stay Night FAQ

Unread postby AlinSabel » July 6th, 2008, 12:54 am

The Fate/Stay Night Frequently Asked Questions Thread

1. What is Fate/Stay Night? What does the title mean?
    Fate/Stay Night is an 'eroge visual novel' for the PC. Eroge is the short form of 'erotic game', and the term 'visual novel' can be explained better by Wikipedia. F/SN was made by TYPE-MOON, the same people who did Tsukihime. There is an anime and manga adaptation of the game, with the anime following the Fate route and the manga following the UBW route - both still contain elements of the other routes (of which there are three in total), but it is apparent which is the 'core' route.
    The three routes are: Fate, Ultimate Blade Works and Heaven's Feel. The Fate route heroine is Saber, the UBW heroine is Rin, the HF heroine is Sakura. UBW has a True and Good ending, HF has a True and Normal ending, and Fate only has a True ending.
    There isn't really any particular meaning to the title, with various jokes being made on it (Fate/Stay in the Kitchen, Fate/Stay the Night, etc.). Good Engrish, Nasu.
    For further information, visit this page.
    In the PS2 port of the game, there was an additional scene which 'qualifies' as the Fate Good end. A translation of this scene can be found here.
  2. Is there an ero removing patch? On the other side of the coin, is there a censor removing patch?
    At this point, there is no inbuilt ero-removing patch in the installer. The user-made ero scene removing patch can be found here. The (stalled) WIP censor removing patch is here.
  3. What do I need to play F/SN in English?
    You will need: the commercial game 'Fate/Stay Night' for the PC and the English patch (found at http://mirrormoon.org/projects/fate_stay_night).
    System requirements: Windows98/Me/2000/XP, PentiumIII 400 MHz, 256 MB of RAM, 1700 MB of HDD Space, 800 x 600 Display, CD-ROM, DirectSound and DirectX 5.0. It is possible to run it on Linux, but that's not a 'frequently asked question'. I think.
  4. Where can I buy the game?
    You can purchase it at Himeya Shop and Paletweb. Direct links to the products in question: Himeya Shop, Paletweb.
    Note: Paletweb requires you to register and login to view H-content games, while Himeya Shop's link will immediately display Not Safe For Work content. So be warned... don't click those links at work! Both are for the DVD version of the game.
  5. Which versions of the game does the English patch work on?
    As of F/SN English v2.0, the patch will work with the 3CD version and the 1DVD version. If it doesn't work, you have a bootleg. That, or your CD/DVD drive is borked...
  6. How do I install the game?
    Put the F/SN DVD into your disc drive, or CD 1 of 3. You do not need to install the Japanese version of the game, so if it auto-runs an installer, exit it. Run the English patch. Follow the instructions. If you have Realta Nua and want to install the voices, check the voice patch box. Otherwise, don't check it. When it asks you to point the installer at your copy of F/SN, do so - browse, click the DVD drive where your disc is. Eventually, it'll finish and you can run Fate/Stay Night. In English. No need for Applocale. :)
    If you get this blue screen with random text upon running the game, set 'Language for Non-Unicode Programs' to Japanese. In Windows XP, that's in Control Panel -> Regional and Language Settings -> 3rd tab. In Vista/Mojave (lol), that's the 4th tab.
  7. What is this Voice Patch?
    The voice patch is an optional selection in the installation of the English patch. Provided you have a copy of the PS2 game 'Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua', you can extract the voice files on the game disc and you will now have a fully voiced version of the PC game (bar the 18+ scenes, since they didn't exist in the PS2 version of the game).
  8. Why doesn't the installer recognise my Realta Nua disc?
    Perhaps you're using the v2.0 installer. Perhaps you put in the wrong disc. Perhaps your disc is a bootleg. If you're using v3.1 (or even v3.0), and you're certain it's RN in the disc drive (do you have more than one disc drive?), then your disc just isn't supported. If you're absolutely certain it's legit, please post in the bug reports thread, and the staff will ask you for some information so that they may support the obscure printing of RN you happen to possess.
  9. Help! It's extracting the voice files from my RN disc, but suddenly it has an error!
    Please disable your antivirus. It is scanning every single file ripped from the RN disc, and it will thus make your computer hang. If you still cannot progress, make an image of the disc, mount it to a virtual drive, and point the installer at this drive instead (Google keywords bolded).
  10. How do I play this game?
    I'll assume you've clicked 'start', and some text has shown up. Click the mouse within the window to advance, and another line of text will appear. To change the speed at which this text appears, right click in the window -> Config. Other options are available there too.
    If you don't want to keep clicking, just press 'A'. To stop auto-read, press A again or click the mouse in the window. Another way to start auto-read is the press the left and right mouse-buttons at the same time.
    If you want to fast forward, press and hold down the CTRL button.
    You can save and load at any point in the game. Right click -> save/load.
  11. Why am I Rin, and not Shirou?
    That's the prologue. You 'play' as Rin for the first bit, and the point of view will change to Shirou. There are other points in the game where you will go into 'Interludes', where the POV is that of another character.
  12. Where can I read the character descriptions?
    After a certain point early on in the game, you will have the 'Status' and 'Weapon' menus opened to you. Status shows you information about the Servants, and Weapon shows you information about the weapons 'you' have encountered in the game.
    Right click the screen in play, and there will be the buttons there on the panel. The information displayed there is what 'you' know during the course of that playthrough. Information discovered in other playthroughs is not shown.
    When not actually playing, click 'Extra' at the Title Menu, and the Status and Weapon options are also available there. The information shown here is the compiled information of all the playthroughs you have made.
  13. Where can I see the CG I have cleared?
    Go to the Title Menu. Click 'Extra'. Click 'Gallery'. The pictures will be organised in the routes. If you have not cleared Fate, all the UBW, HF and miscellaneous CG will be in 'Another'. If you have cleared Fate and thus opened UBW, there will be three folders - Fate, UBW and Another. If you have cleared both Fate and UBW, there will be four folders: Fate, UBW, HF and Another.
  14. What is this Tiger Dojo? Should I view it?
    Tiger Dojos are just 'help' corners. You will not 'lose' anything if you view it, except perhaps your personal mental image of the characters shown in the Dojo (that's what the 'warning' is talking about). It's actually a good thing to view all the Tiger Dojos, as you will collect stamps (shown in Title Menu -> Extra -> ED List). Once you have collected certain amounts of stamps... hoho~
  15. Is there a full save game?
    The current 'complete' save file (Fate, UBW, HF), provided by Balcerzak:
    http://mediafire.com/download.php?dqinuuymjjl
    Slim version: http://mediafire.com/download.php?z51mjjmntqu
    Extra details included in this post.
  16. Where are my save files?!
    It depends on if you're using Vista or XP.
    If you're using XP, then it'll be in the folder 'savedata' within the folder F/SN is installed in. For example, my F/SN folder is called 'Fate-Stay-Night English', within the folder 'Program Files', on the drive 'C'. The path to the save files would thus be 'C:\Program Files\Fate-Stay-Night English\savedata'.
    On Vista, the files are in %localappdata%\VirtualStore\Program Files\whatever\savedata, where 'whatever' can probably be changed to Fate. Just put %localappdata%\VirtualStore\Program Files\ into your Windows Explorer address bar, press enter, and look for the appropriate folder.
  17. Is there a walkthrough?
    Yes, there is. Because the forum hates nested spoilers and quotes, here's the link to DL the .txt file: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bymuomljnjo
  18. Is there a prequel? A sequel?
    The prequel of F/SN is 'Fate/Zero'. It is a light novel, and the translation project can be found here. The 'organised' version of the previous link is here.
    The sequel of F/SN is 'Fate/Hollow Ataraxia'. It is a visual novel, and the translation project can be found here.
  19. How many opening videos are there?
    Only two. I believe there's three in the PS2 version.
  20. What is an imouto?
    A younger sister. While imouto can be referred to your younger sister who may be of any age, the typical otaku will immediately think of a prepubescent female...

If there's anything I've missed, tell me. XD
Last edited by AlinSabel on December 2nd, 2008, 11:38 pm, edited 21 times in total.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Einherjar » July 6th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Very useful. Must be stickied.
Rick Astley XD
"...Whatever."
"...Not interested."
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby ayadew » July 6th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Nice job
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby WingZero » July 6th, 2008, 10:47 pm

Just a note on day 8 of UBW you might wanna clarify:

Choosing to get the CG will prevent you from getting the good end, as far as I've tried.

Even if you do every other choice correctly, if you get that exclusive CG on Day 8 and don't reload to pick the "buy Saber meat" option, you will not be able to get the good end.

I guess there must be a flag there you need to clear or getting Saber meat gives you a lot of points or something, dunno.

Also, note that the savefile is not 'complete' by any means as it is impossible to get the UBW GOOD END with inferno's savefile, so you'll have to start over from the beginning following the walkthrough if you want the good end.

Good job on the FAQ btw. I have one suggestion though, should you choose to follow it, take some time to format the original post so that the answers to each question are masked in spoiler tags right after the question is asked so that whoever's reading can choose to read what's relevant to them and ignore what's not (and don't have to keep scrolling up to check what question X was)

What I mean is:

1. Insert question here?
Insert answer here.

2. Insert another question here?
Insert another answer here.

etc.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby AlinSabel » July 6th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Done~ pity spoilers don't nest. :( They nest on some forum software, and perhaps on different implementations of the spoiler script.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby ayadew » July 7th, 2008, 6:15 am

AlinSabel wrote:Done~ pity spoilers don't nest. :( They nest on some forum software, and perhaps on different implementations of the spoiler script.

They nest, you have to make it in quotes
viewtopic.php?t=1697
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby AlinSabel » July 7th, 2008, 6:35 am

Done. Took me a while to realise you had to bury the second level of spoiler tags inside another quote box. @_@
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby agesboy » July 7th, 2008, 6:37 am

I wish I'd known some of these things when I first started coming here.

Hell, it took me about four days to figure out what an imouto was.
agesboy
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby abscess » July 7th, 2008, 8:09 am

agesboy wrote:I wish I'd known some of these things when I first started coming here.

Huh? But that is just common knowledge!....... Well!.... maybe not COMMON knowledge.... but common knowledge in this kinda circles? yes.

I have a stupid question! Are all imoutos considered lolis?
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby agesboy » July 7th, 2008, 8:21 am

abscess wrote:
agesboy wrote:I wish I'd known some of these things when I first started coming here.

Huh? But that is just common knowledge!....... Well!.... maybe not COMMON knowledge.... but common knowledge in this kinda circles? yes.

I have a stupid question! Are all imoutos considered lolis?

Hah, before I played Fate/Stay Night about a month or so ago, I had absolutely no contact with anything Japanese. Seriously, I watched Pokemon and DBZ when I was eight and that was it for me.

The entire reason I even gave F/SN a chance was because of the line "People die when they are killed" making me laugh my ass off hard. Talk about a weird way to get obsessed with something, but hey, the result is what matters, eh?

Still, so much of this culture seems very, very wrong. Like the massive amounts of loli. I mean, damn, there's a limit to how small the girl can be, people.
agesboy
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby abscess » July 7th, 2008, 8:28 am

agesboy wrote:Hah, before I played Fate/Stay Night about a month or so ago, I had absolutely no contact with anything Japanese. Seriously, I watched Pokemon and DBZ when I was eight and that was it for me.

The entire reason I even gave F/SN a chance was because of the line "People die when they are killed" making me laugh my ass off hard. Talk about a weird way to get obsessed with something, but hey, the result is what matters, eh?

Still, so much of this culture seems very, very wrong. Like the massive amounts of loli. I mean, damn, there's a limit to how small the girl can be, people.

Hahahahah! aaah...! yeah, you are very right! Even after having been in contact with this culture for a period of time I still can't understand most of the stuff (besides the language), one of them are the constant rapes present in hentai or whatever, the lolis, the fact that they don't consider an act of racism when they don't let inside certain building non-japanese people, the fixation with super-cute stuff, etc,etc, etc.....

Anyway. You most likely won't understand it completely mostly because of the kind of upbringing you had when growing up. In other words, you aren't japanese, hence you probably won't get most stuff those guys do, at least not first-hand.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby AlinSabel » July 7th, 2008, 10:59 am

You'll note in my answer to 'what is an imouto' that it's a younger sister of any age, but the typical otaku will immediately associate imouto with a prepubescent girl.

A 'loli' (short form of lolita) is a female possessing a child's stature but a "woman's" sexuality. The 'typical otaku' will label any female with a child's stature a 'loli', and thus 'all' imouto are loli.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Gquain » August 6th, 2008, 6:30 pm

I have a question about the first post.
In the 17. Question about the walkthrough.
I did all the steps for reaching Bad-End 13 but the story keeps continue o_O
Does the walkthrough have mistakes in it?

I am apologizing for bothering you and thanks for this thread c('~'C)
Gquain
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Einherjar » August 6th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Gquain wrote:I have a question about the first post.
In the 17. Question about the walkthrough.
I did all the steps for reaching Bad-End 13 but the story keeps continue o_O
Does the walkthrough have mistakes in it?

I am apologizing for bothering you and thanks for this thread c('~'C)

Let it run on a bit longer and see what happens.
Saber should kill Shirou a bit later on

EDIT: Dammit, why take off Rick Roll ??? D=
Last edited by Einherjar on August 11th, 2008, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Gquain » August 6th, 2008, 8:23 pm

sorry but the story is still continue and i could get the true ending^_^
Okay, i found the cause: My [Saber <-> Shirou] relationship is still too high

Quote:
Day 8
1. I want to know about Saber before she became a Servant.
1. Go straight home.
3. Apples won't do. Eat some Mandarins, Fuji-Nee.

In the second question i needed to select the second answer, not the first.
Gquain
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby akoaysmurf999 » August 23rd, 2008, 6:38 am

great guide and thanks for the walkthrough!

though i have problems in reaching bad end 13 i followed all the step provided but i doesn't show any bad end and continues with the story

edit:

found a post on how to get bad end 13 after searching the forums :D

Shikiller wrote:
hohoho0214 wrote:Is there an easy way of getting this as according to the flowchart saber points need to be <=5?

eh? just be totally idiotic while ignoring Saber and you will get it.

" i want a special move"
search for Ilya instead of going back to the house where Saber is waiting for you
"hide in the bed"
"i am worried about tohsaka" (ignoring Saber)

it's not that hard.
akoaysmurf999
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby WingZero » September 7th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Just noticed something:

Reading it normally, Q.18 is "What is an imouto"

If you expand Q.17, Q.18 becomes "Is there a prequel? Sequel?" and the imouto question becomes Q.19.

Probably, Q18 was placed inside the spoiler tags of Q17 (?), this essentially means that the prequel / sequel question is effectively hidden from view.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby AlinSabel » September 7th, 2008, 11:09 pm

Nah, they weren't. I'd done something weird with the tags (I think because the spoiler tags wouldn't take the quote tags properly), but I've fixed it now. If it's borked somewhere else, do tell me. :)
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Leonhart » September 22nd, 2008, 2:36 pm

Hmm... Very useful thread indeed 8)

btw, how about adding something like "What is the difference between Mages and Magus?"

I think many people will like it. :D
Leonhart
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby inferno_flamex » October 27th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Leonhart wrote:btw, how about adding something like "What is the difference between Mages and Magus?"

Yeah...

Hmm.. Its abit embarassing to admit this, considering that i've been here for quite awhile and stilll quite unsure of the difference...

I guess... From what i've heard of...

The difference between Mages, Magus AND Magi...

The only thing i am certain is that;
Mage=Single Magic User...

Mages=Multiple Magic user of the same kind
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to Fate/stay night Chat