Translating German Texts in F/SN

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Translating German Texts in F/SN

Unread postby inferno_flamex » June 24th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Well.. Maybe this is too early to ask.. Since HF is not out yet...
But im just curious...

I guess..
Before playing F/SN (or more accurately FATE route) in English.. I've played the demo version (only the epilogue) which i believe was translated to english by Insani.

Please correct me if im wrong. For it would be very rude of me to not give proper credit to the correct person...

Anyway...
Yeah..

At least if my memory serves me right.. He also did translate the German parts... More precicely.. The spells that Rin said..
I think she said.. "house... Protect yourself" when leaving for school...

What i mean by translate... Is... Having the original German text in normal fontsize and color.. While having its translated meaning in english, in a red smaller fontsize. Kinda like so...

German
english sub

So question... Which one was the ORIGINAL way portrayed in the FSN game? For those that played it in japanese...

And would the mm team consider/planning about doing this kind of translation as well? Maybe in the future... As a sort of update patch or so...
Does the current text programme... Onscripter isnt it? Even allow these kind of texts to show?
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Re: Translating German Texts in F/SN

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 24th, 2008, 9:45 pm

inferno_flamex wrote:tl;dr

Basically, you're asking if there could be furigana like they did with Utawarerumono? (Where they put the english terms over the Uta-world phrases, like periyurai and such?)
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Alucard » June 24th, 2008, 10:51 pm

Eternity is wasted upon the likes of you.
Alucard
Addict

Re: Translating German Texts in F/SN

Unread postby inferno_flamex » June 24th, 2008, 11:16 pm

Cat Megex wrote:
inferno_flamex wrote:tl;dr

Basically, you're asking if there could be furigana like they did with Utawarerumono? (Where they put the english terms over the Uta-world phrases, like periyurai and such?)

Ah! Yes.. I forgot that Uta has that kind of text... In which case yes...

Alucard wrote:I can't really understand what you're asking, but does http://www.iiyama-catv.ne.jp/~walachia/spell/rin.html or http://lab.vis.ne.jp/tsukihime/data2/spell_02.html help?

Yup... You solved one of my questions regarding how the original FSN was played
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby md » June 25th, 2008, 3:22 am

> over the Uta-world phrases, like periyurai and such?)

Pretty sure it was like that in the Japanese too. With real Japanese over 'periyai' and such.
md
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 25th, 2008, 3:32 am

md wrote:> over the Uta-world phrases, like periyurai and such?)

Pretty sure it was like that in the Japanese too. With real Japanese over 'periyai' and such.

Exactly. "Furigana" is a Japanese word, after all. (I figured that, since the base text was able to use english/romanji, the furigana could do the same thing, and so it wasn't someone having to actually add in an image with the word in the right font size and all but rather just a scripting function). What I was wondering is if F/sn had the same thing, which would most likely tie in with inferno's question (because furigana is sometimes used over foreign words, usually to indicate meaning but sometimes to indicate pronounciation, if I'm not mistaken).
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby KaioShin » June 25th, 2008, 6:45 am

There is no German in FS/N. Only horribly disfigured sentence fragments they copied together from dictionaries to sound "cool" without any idea what they mean. Rather than translating that stuff into English I'd rather have they fix the German to be at least somewhat coherent so that anyone who knows the language doesn't have to shake in his chair in convulsions while playing the game.
KaioShin
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Kansho » June 25th, 2008, 9:50 am

Fate/stay night original version had a lot of furigana in a lot of sentences and words. Like Noble Phantasms, tracing encantation, UBW's one... for example.
見せかけの自分はそっと捨ててただありのままで
misekake no jibun ha sotto sutete tada ari no mama de -
Throw away the "fake me" quietly and just be myself.
Kansho
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » June 25th, 2008, 11:25 am

KaioShin wrote:There is no German in FS/N. Only horribly disfigured sentence fragments they copied together from dictionaries to sound "cool" without any idea what they mean. Rather than translating that stuff into English I'd rather have they fix the German to be at least somewhat coherent so that anyone who knows the language doesn't have to shake in his chair in convulsions while playing the game.

Hahahahaha! aaaaah! yes! Engrish produces the same effect, mate!
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Return to Fate/stay night Chat