Fate/Zero License?

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Fate/Zero License?

Unread postby alamarco » May 20th, 2008, 12:03 am

Has Fate/Zero been licensed yet? Where would one find out this information?

I'm wanting to read and purchase the Fate/Zero volumes. I have a feeling it's not licensed yet, so I'm more or less looking on information on how you guys obtain this kind of information.
alamarco
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Beowulf Lee » May 20th, 2008, 1:02 am

No, it's not licensed, and it probably won't be in the future. You can tell most of the time for most things from Wikipedia.

You can read the fan translations from Beasts Lair and Baka Tsuki.
Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Ferozban » May 20th, 2008, 6:34 pm

Hmm Fate/Zero seems to be a normal book isnt it?

neither manga nor visual novel. i cant see any pictures.

how do i know how all the characters look like^^
Ferozban
Addict

Unread postby Enigma » May 20th, 2008, 6:38 pm

Ferozban wrote:Hmm Fate/Zero seems to be a normal book isnt it?

neither manga nor visual novel. i cant see any pictures.

how do i know how all the characters look like^^

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... ustrations

They don't have all of them.
Enigma
Addict

Unread postby Atriel » May 20th, 2008, 7:20 pm

You read their descriptions and use your imagination. That works too.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby handey » May 22nd, 2008, 2:30 pm

also, there are some more pictures on the wikipedia article and on the official site.
kariya does look creepy alright.
handey
Addict

Unread postby alamarco » May 23rd, 2008, 7:32 am

Thanks for the replays, it's a shame that Fate/Zero most likely wont be getting licensed. Is it because of it's novel nature and it not being a manga?

I guess my best bet is to somehow get my hands on a Japanese copy of the novel. Wont be able to read it, but I need to have all my Fate media.

Hopefully Baka and the gang translate it all. I don't want to start reading the translations now and then end up not getting it them all. It's all or nothing for myself :D.
alamarco
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby lolipedofin » May 23rd, 2008, 9:19 am

It's more likely that general anime fans in US market is not ready yet for this kind genre... I dunno, too gloomy, a bit heavy... and you are likely to enjoy this more if you had played the game or at least watched the anime...

The fact that it's novel is also play part... so far, the only Light Novels that manage to make impact is only Haruhi franchise... And we know that the anime (and clueless fans, just following the flow and what's popular) play huge part in it...

Btw, Light Novels is distinguished by the use of illustrations (other than it's intended for youngs, and not that thick)... so more often than not, it's always accompanied with illustrations including Fate/Zero, and so far all light novels i read include illustrations... Kamisama Kazoku, Tori wa Tori dearu tame ni, Zero no Tsukaima, Fate/Zero, Haruhi, etc... So, anyone knows any book that fall into the category of Light Novels but has no illust??
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Gergoth » June 28th, 2008, 8:56 pm

alamarco wrote:Thanks for the replays, it's a shame that Fate/Zero most likely wont be getting licensed. Is it because of it's novel nature and it not being a manga?

I guess my best bet is to somehow get my hands on a Japanese copy of the novel. Wont be able to read it, but I need to have all my Fate media.

Hopefully Baka and the gang translate it all. I don't want to start reading the translations now and then end up not getting it them all. It's all or nothing for myself :D.

That's pretty much it. Novels require more work to translate than the mangas, and generally (unless the name is "Vampire Hunter D") don't sell that well to fully justify the work (heaven forbid that people read word-books nowadays...). Still, I'm hoping that some company will bring the novels over (it's only four volumes, right?). Del Rey (they have Type-Moons Garden of Sinners, and will be bringing it over in a two volumes series in 2009), Dark Horse Press, and Seven Seas seem to be the only possible choices (SS being one of the few to actually have a light novel line). Tokyopop has the manga, which will be coming out October 07 (hopefully they won't botch it, because if they do...)

If anyone's curious, Seven Seas has a sticky topic on their forum regarding wat novels/mangas you would like them to license next, and some people put Fate/Zero on the list. So, if some of you were to go their and give them your thoughs (especially if you read them), it might actually increase the likelyhood of them being the one to do the job. As long as the voices are heard and they see solid support for the series (because it's not like Fate is something obscure, more people would recognize this name than others), it might be a very possible reality. Either that, or I'm just really good at lying to myself :D
Gergoth
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Beowulf Lee » June 30th, 2008, 4:45 am

The work needed to put into translating a novel far exceeds the potential market for a "cartoon book". I suppose if they asked Takeuchi to redraw the covers into something more abstract it might fare better.

But I retract my statement. Del Rey supposedly licensed Kara no Kyoukai (novels), and supposing that those do well, they just might get Fate/Zero over here too.
Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 30th, 2008, 4:52 am

Beowulf Lee wrote:The work needed to put into translating a novel far exceeds the potential market for a "cartoon book". I suppose if they asked Takeuchi to redraw the covers into something more abstract it might fare better.

But I retract my statement. Del Rey supposedly licensed Kara no Kyoukai (novels), and supposing that those do well, they just might get Fate/Zero over here too.

Hm....*goes to see if there is anything at all on the Del Rey site to say when those might be released*

EDIT: nothin'....
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » June 30th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Cat Megex wrote:
Beowulf Lee wrote:The work needed to put into translating a novel far exceeds the potential market for a "cartoon book". I suppose if they asked Takeuchi to redraw the covers into something more abstract it might fare better.

Hm....*goes to see if there is anything at all on the Del Rey site to say when those might be released*

EDIT: nothin'....

This is the only real proof that KnK was licensed by Del Rey, unless someone here who owns Faust Vol.1 can confirm.

http://www.animeondvd.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=83033
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Gergoth » July 1st, 2008, 4:52 pm

Faust won't be coming out until August 19th, so all we have as a confirmation is the AoD link and the pre-order information, which further confirms the previous link.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/qP=2WYuILKXiEEParv/browse/item/78180/4/0/0

Honestly, I think Fate/Zero might actually have a chance (though this may be the dilusions of a fan :P). If Garden of Sinners does well, Del Rey may look into other TM related properties. And Del Rey, being one of three US manga companies that doesn't totally suck, should do the series justice, something that is very rare in the R1 area (as unfortunate as that may be).

Although, I wonder if novels and light novels would do better if they weren't placed in the manga sections and instead place in their respective genres in the novels sections of book stores? Manga fans probably won't even purchase a series becasue it has no pictures (regardless of how good it may be), and their are some people who may hate mangs, but enjoy novels, who won't bat an eye towards a series due to its current placement. Hmm... makes you think...

However, if all else fails, at least their are some fans doing a translation for this series!
Gergoth
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » July 2nd, 2008, 3:36 am

Gergoth wrote:Faust won't be coming out until August 19th, so all we have as a confirmation is the AoD link and the pre-order information, which further confirms the previous link.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/qP=2WYuILKXiEEParv/browse/item/78180/4/0/0

Honestly, I think Fate/Zero might actually have a chance (though this may be the dilusions of a fan :P). If Garden of Sinners does well, Del Rey may look into other TM related properties. And Del Rey, being one of three US manga companies that doesn't totally suck, should do the series justice, something that is very rare in the R1 area (as unfortunate as that may be).

Although, I wonder if novels and light novels would do better if they weren't placed in the manga sections and instead place in their respective genres in the novels sections of book stores? Manga fans probably won't even purchase a series becasue it has no pictures (regardless of how good it may be), and their are some people who may hate mangs, but enjoy novels, who won't bat an eye towards a series due to its current placement. Hmm... makes you think...

However, if all else fails, at least their are some fans doing a translation for this series!

That would be in a utopic scenario. Let's face it, most of the people that have read that kind of novels knew about them because they heard about those books when talking about anime, manga or video games or something related to japanese entertainment, most other people would just look at those novels and label them as "kiddy books". Perhaps if it was in a section where only light-novels were displayed BUT being located somewhat near the manga section would bring more readers.

"The Garden of Sinners," by Kinoko Nasu (illustrated by Takashi Takeuchi [TYPE-MOON]): Too many young girls are flying and dying. It has to stop - and only Shiki can put an end to it.

THIS is the crappiest synopsis I have seen for this novel. I wouldn't buy a book with this kind of description in the back-cover. I can say that this kind of crappy synopsis are one of the reasons most of the people shun this kind of media.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Gergoth » July 2nd, 2008, 4:53 am

abscess wrote:
Gergoth wrote:Faust won't be coming out until August 19th, so all we have as a confirmation is the AoD link and the pre-order information, which further confirms the previous link.

That would be in a utopic scenario. Let's face it, most of the people that have read that kind of novels knew about them because they heard about those books when talking about anime, manga or video games or something related to japanese entertainment, most other people would just look at those novels and label them as "kiddy books". Perhaps if it was in a section where only light-novels were displayed BUT being located somewhat near the manga section would bring more readers.

"The Garden of Sinners," by Kinoko Nasu (illustrated by Takashi Takeuchi [TYPE-MOON]): Too many young girls are flying and dying. It has to stop - and only Shiki can put an end to it.

THIS is the crappiest synopsis I have seen for this novel. I wouldn't buy a book with this kind of description in the back-cover. I can say that this kind of crappy synopsis are one of the reasons most of the people shun this kind of media.

I think that would also work well. Have a seperate novel/light novel section near the manga section, who knows, you may get some fans from both worlds.

As for the synopsis, I couldn't agree more. Then again, all the synopsis' left a lot to be desired.
Gergoth
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Brizzle » July 2nd, 2008, 1:48 pm

Terrible synopsis is terrrible. :cry:

As for Fate/Zero, it's very unlikely because Fate/Zero talks about many things that are unfamiliar to you unless you've played all the routes from the game. It's easy to become lost and/or confused without prior knowledge of the general setup. There's no ignorant protagonist to have everything explained to in-story. You're expected to know what the Heaven's Feel is and how it works (at least in general).
GAR for Shiro
Brizzle
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Neko Arc » July 2nd, 2008, 7:34 pm

Brizzle wrote:Terrible synopsis is terrrible. :cry:

As for Fate/Zero, it's very unlikely because Fate/Zero talks about many things that are unfamiliar to you unless you've played all the routes from the game. It's easy to become lost and/or confused without prior knowledge of the general setup. There's no ignorant protagonist to have everything explained to in-story. You're expected to know what the Heaven's Feel is and how it works (at least in general).

In the first chapters of the book and when is neccesary everything is explained, the grail system, the servant system,magic stuff, you don't need to have prior knowledge, on the other hand, is kinda repetitive to have that explained once more if you know about it.
Neko Arc
Might just like this board

Unread postby Kansho » July 2nd, 2008, 8:52 pm

Neko Arc wrote:
Brizzle wrote:Terrible synopsis is terrrible. :cry:

In the first chapters of the book and when is neccesary everything is explained, the grail system, the servant system,magic stuff, you don't need to have prior knowledge, on the other hand, is kinda repetitive to have that explained once more if you know about it.
Yeah, but all the Matou stuff, the REAL objective of the Grail system and all of that stuff appear in the books without any deep explanation. Fate/Zero was written for the ones who readed the original, if you didn't readed it, Fate/Zero can be considered as a really bad spoiler.
見せかけの自分はそっと捨ててただありのままで
misekake no jibun ha sotto sutete tada ari no mama de -
Throw away the "fake me" quietly and just be myself.
Kansho
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Neko Arc » July 2nd, 2008, 9:07 pm

the objective of the grail war is irrelevant to the story, Sakura's and Kariya's drama is explained,and the true nature of the grail is also explained, Nasu magic stuff is explained as well. The book was not wrote to the ones who played fsn, it was even said that " people should play FSN to have a conclusion to the story"
it doesn't spoil anything, you just know about Sakura before hand
you don't even know she is a master
about saber's identity, and that Kotomine
is evil, but you don't know he's Lancer's master
Neko Arc
Might just like this board

Unread postby Kansho » July 2nd, 2008, 10:25 pm

In my book, those are spoilers.
And Rin - Sakura relationship is a real BIG spoiler in Fate/stay night, and that book said it to you like out of nowere in the prologue.

Just think about some casual reader or an anime viewer who readed Fate/Zero. Zouken appears, all the Matou drama exposed like if it was just pulled of the sleeve, what is inside the Grail, Einzbern desire, Kotomine's "void existence", Assassin's class rule, Ilya's being Kiritsugu's and Iri's daughter (oh!, you're not supposed to know this BEFORE of Heaven's Feel True End - AKA: *End of the original game*)...
In other words, big SPOILERS.

Fate/Zero was written with Fate/stay night in mind. I didn't get your point yet. It's true that the story stand itself, but not the background. In some way, Fate/Zero ruins you Fate/stay night if you read Zero beforehand. If you're already spoiled, then not...
見せかけの自分はそっと捨ててただありのままで
misekake no jibun ha sotto sutete tada ari no mama de -
Throw away the "fake me" quietly and just be myself.
Kansho
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to Fate/stay night Chat