Raise your hand if you care about the other games.

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Raise your hand if you care about the other games. Raise both if you care more about them than F/SN.

*doesn't raise hand*
57%
*raises hand*
43%

Total votes: 90

Yazan Kiriel
Addict

Unread post by Yazan Kiriel » April 20th, 2008, 5:58 am

Atriel wrote:
Yazan Kiriel wrote:Pretty sure it is, the whole Nasuverse storyline is just a backdrop on how the main hero interacts with the girls and other characters. Notice each path is specific on one girl right? People may think Fate/Stay Night is about the Holy Grail...but more like it's alot about Shioru with his ideals and his women heh.
What did you read? If you read a little bit of the things not related with the girls, you may understand that throughout the story (Fate and UBW, as i've yet yo play HF) the meaning and essence of "hero" is questioned, amongst other things.

Read what i said carefully, i point out how those things are nicely (and importantly) integrated in the story, but they are not the core of it (wich would annoy me). Yes yes yes. You get one girl on each path, does that means that that's all there is to it?
Keyword: Core.

Just imagine it. What would FSN be if Shirou isn't trying to be a hero? Really. Chances are he wouldn't even summon Saber.

I'll not ponder too much into this, since it's way off-topic now, but if FSN really was a VN all about getting and banging each girl with an ending about true love and friendship, i'd be better off watching some crap on TV. (Wich i don't)
I think you maybe the one who needs to read carefully. I know what you're saying don't get me wrong, I already wrote it's more about Shirou and his ideals, that's the whole theme of Fate. Yes, it may not be the 'core' story of Fate but for example, he drills his ideals into Saber to try and save her and in Heaven Feel he throws it away to save another so the girls do quite indeed play a important role in F/SN. In Unlimited Blade Works his love with Rin strengthen his spirit and will to go on when he was faced with the reality that his ideals were not perfect and yet strive to believe in it so. Like I said, it is about Shirou, but these girls play a big role in his life and ideals. Don't let Nasu fool you with his fancy bullshitting, mind you I love his fancy bullshitting and all but Type-Moon visual novels really tend to play out as your good ol VN with the heroine playing a part in the main hero's life someway.

Also, VNs indeed do tend to be about about getting and banging girls. Of course that's mere fanservice really, but alot of memorable and cherish VNs out there are beloved for different reasons....(NICE BOAT anyone?) After all you better off playing a h-game instead then.

raislash
Might just like this board

Unread post by raislash » April 20th, 2008, 6:16 am

Tomoyo AFTER...i read the manga and my heart is destroyed already....and i buy the game hoping it will be better since there's some pr0n...but it turns out to be even worse .....i cried for the whole night after i play that game....

iclim4
Crack Addic!
Location: My Mommy told me not to give out personal information in the internet.

Unread post by iclim4 » April 20th, 2008, 6:19 am

@Dante Obscuri

Man your post is made of too much win.
From your impressions, it seems I'm in for a treat when they animate after story.
Yes, episode 24 interests me.

Since the game is being translated, I will not bother with the manga.
When I asked you to rate it, I meant give a score.
So that I can anticipate what I'm going into.
10 being the highest, 1 being the lowest.
Clannad-
F/S N-
Tomoyo After-
After Story-(included since I'm curious now) And Thanks again.
And a remake for Tsukihime? Didn't know that. ^_^

Dante Obscuri
Addict

Unread post by Dante Obscuri » April 20th, 2008, 6:40 am

iclim4 wrote:When I asked you to rate it, I meant give a score.
Clannad-
F/S N-
Tomoyo After-
The problem is those rankings would be biased, due to my personal preferences. Anyway:

1. F/sn: 8.5
2. Clannad & After Story: 8
3. Tomoyo After: 7.5
iclim4 wrote:And a remake for Tsukihime? Didn't know that. ^_^
http://www.akiba-ch.com/?p=485

TakaJun

Unread post by TakaJun » April 20th, 2008, 6:51 am

Sure, FSN sold a lot and is getting lots of attention, but I wouldn't say it's the greatest game.
But people have their opinions. I'll admit FSN isn't even in my top10 eroge.

Now for people who say Shuffle! or Tomoyo After is good... I just don't know what you enjoyed...
Those games were TERRIBLE :(

Now original topic... I merely decided to work on the other game titles instead of staying on my "break". So no HF translation is suffering. (That's how I see it, anyway) That was the posters question, right? I'll get back on HF as fast as I can.
Anyway, I was just sick of seeing all these things I've already translated sitting there and collecting dust.

iclim4
Crack Addic!
Location: My Mommy told me not to give out personal information in the internet.

Unread post by iclim4 » April 20th, 2008, 6:55 am

Dante Obscuri wrote:
iclim4 wrote:When I asked you to rate it, I meant give a score.
Clannad-
F/S N-
Tomoyo After-
The problem is those rankings would be biased, due to my personal preferences. Anyway:

1. F/sn: 8.5
2. Clannad & After Story: 8
3. Tomoyo After: 7.5
iclim4 wrote:And a remake for Tsukihime? Didn't know that. ^_^
http://www.akiba-ch.com/?p=485
Don't matter, every reviewer has a personal bias.
Clannad and after story are packed together?
And only a .5 difference with Tomoya After eventhough TA has only has 1 arc?
I'm expecting great things then.

And Sacchin might actually get her own route.
Only thing that concerns me is the unannounced release date.
I think I might be too old and busy once the remake gets translated(I'm expecting around 2011-12).
Thanks for the info though, really appreciate it.

Edit: @ Takajun
Wait why is it terrible?
Mind elaborating?
Is the plot weak?
uninteresting characters?
Just not your type of story?

Dante Obscuri
Addict

Unread post by Dante Obscuri » April 20th, 2008, 7:17 am

TakaJun wrote:Now for people who say Shuffle! or Tomoyo After is good... I just don't know what you enjoyed...
Those games were TERRIBLE :(
I haven't played Shuffle!; so, I wouldn't know. As for Tomoyo After, while I wouldn't put it near the same level as Clannad, but the story seemed fun; that, and I loved Tomoyo. I wouldn't call it GREAT, but it was nice, in my opinion.
iclim4 wrote:Clannad and after story are packed together?
The After Story is part of Clannad. You have to play all the school days routes before you can unlock the After Story. Clannad is a long game.
iclim4 wrote:And only a .5 difference with Tomoya After eventhough TA has only has 1 arc?
As I said, the rankings are based on my personal preferences, and therefore, they are biased. Clannad is by faaaaaar better.

iclim4
Crack Addic!

Unread post by iclim4 » April 20th, 2008, 7:35 am

Considering the fact that I was rooting for Tomoyo against all the other heroines, I would say I'm pretty biased aswell. ^_^

I'm still curious as to why Takajun said it's terrible.
I was starting to get hyped up too, but if anyone knows his VN it's Takajun, so I can't just dismiss it. =l

TakaJun

Unread post by TakaJun » April 20th, 2008, 8:00 am

Ok, Shuffle! is TERRIBLE. That's a fact.

Now, Tomoyo after isn't "that" terrible. But there's a mix of different factors that makes me not like it.
1. Overhype. Key game=good game... and I was proven wrong
2. I don't like Tomoyo :(
3. ED sucked
4. The events felt "convenient" (made up so the story could go on nicely)
5. I couldn't find the jokes very funny

Other's found it good, so dont just base it on my opinion.
Best reference are people who have the same preference as you.

iclim4
Crack Addic!

Unread post by iclim4 » April 20th, 2008, 8:11 am

TakaJun wrote:Ok, Shuffle! is TERRIBLE. That's a fact.

Now, Tomoyo after isn't "that" terrible. But there's a mix of different factors that makes me not like it.
1. Overhype. Key game=good game... and I was proven wrong
2. I don't like Tomoyo :(
3. ED sucked
5. I couldn't find the jokes very funny

Other's found it good, so dont just base it on my opinion.
Best reference are people who have the same preference as you.
That was what I was looking for, my best case scenario for why you didn't like it. ^_^
About #4, isn't that present in every plot?
The only thing that worries me is the "ED sucked" comment.

raislash
Might just like this board

Unread post by raislash » April 20th, 2008, 1:02 pm

3. ED sucked..you can't be more right that that Taka...i still feel the pain of the ending even now....but for me...the best H-game...it's hard to say..but i enjoy Yume Miru Kusuri a lot(the first time i see that the character get pregnant by accident and the main char still take care of her and love her a lot).

For F/S N i will say that it got the best character...story-wise...great...animation..great...so nothing wrong with it^^

r6
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by r6 » April 20th, 2008, 4:46 pm

Clannad was long, with 13 lights you had to play a loooong time.
I thought Kappei was the best character ever though. I can't believe they didn't include him in the anime.

Dante Obscuri
Addict

Unread post by Dante Obscuri » April 20th, 2008, 6:53 pm

TakaJun wrote:1. Overhype. Key game=good game... and I was proven wrong
Isn't it always the same with Key? Do not get me wrong, so far, I've enjoyed most of their games, but I do not think they are as GREAT as most people make them sound. Key is certainly over-hyped, in my opinion.

I've always found Key's plots to be convenient, if you ask me.
TakaJun wrote:3. ED sucked
raislash wrote:i still feel the pain of the ending even now
I wouldn't know, I liked the ending, but that may be because I liked the premise of the story. All the same, the ED was retconned in the PS2, no?

Enerccio
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Enerccio » April 20th, 2008, 8:59 pm

why no one mentioned Gore Screaming Show? O-O

Yazan Kiriel
Addict

Unread post by Yazan Kiriel » April 20th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Enerccio wrote:why no one mentioned Gore Screaming Show? O-O
Sounds sexy...tell me more.

Enerccio
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Enerccio » April 20th, 2008, 9:50 pm

Yazan Kiriel wrote:
here, review, 93% out of 100%
http://www.erogereview.com/2008/02/03/g ... ming-show/

engine: system-NNN
14 endings
great atmosphere
THE BEST GAME OPENING EVER MADE (both audio and video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwSUuo6RLVk
This will be the one (and probably only) game I will ever translate myself when I will get enough skills (with me applying to study Japanese on colleague this year I hope soon enough).

rubberchicken
Crack Addic!

Unread post by rubberchicken » April 20th, 2008, 10:01 pm

MinDead Blood and Extravaganza had better OPs :3

Enerccio
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Enerccio » April 20th, 2008, 10:04 pm

rubberchicken wrote:MinDead Blood and Extravaganza had better OPs :3
where is proof? 8)

Yazan Kiriel
Addict

Unread post by Yazan Kiriel » April 21st, 2008, 12:12 am

Enerccio wrote:
Yazan Kiriel wrote:
here, review, 93% out of 100%
http://www.erogereview.com/2008/02/03/g ... ming-show/

engine: system-NNN
14 endings
great atmosphere
THE BEST GAME OPENING EVER MADE (both audio and video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwSUuo6RLVk
This will be the one (and probably only) game I will ever translate myself when I will get enough skills (with me applying to study Japanese on colleague this year I hope soon enough).
Fucking awesome, wondered if they had other novels as gruesome like Saya.

Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread post by Ryuusoul » April 22nd, 2008, 5:39 am

I've only played 5 visual novels, those being F/sn, Tsukihime, Kagetsu Tohya, Utawarerumono, and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

I like F/sn the best followed by Tsukihime, Utawarerumono, Higurashi no naku koro ni, and Kagetsu Tohya.

They all are pretty close in my book, and I don't have a large sample to compare, really.

I did like the Clannad anime a lot.

What made f/sn my #1 was the themes it dealt with, i.e. justice, being a hero, self-sacrifice, etc.

I wouldn't mind enjoying these other games, though. As a translator, I know how infinitely frustrating it is to see something you have translated not be released, so I support Taka on this one.