Raise your hand if you care about the other games.

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

Raise your hand if you care about the other games. Raise both if you care more about them than F/SN.

*doesn't raise hand*
51
57%
*raises hand*
39
43%
 
Total votes: 90

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!
Posts: 1030
Joined: October 21st, 2007, 3:49 am

Unread post by Atriel » April 19th, 2008, 3:56 am

Are they not romance-centered? Or those life-lesson things? (You know, friendship, true love and all that crap)

I hate that shit <_< It makes me yawn. If they aren't i may check them whenever i can.

r6
Totally hardly posted
Posts: 9
Joined: March 16th, 2008, 9:24 pm

Unread post by r6 » April 19th, 2008, 4:14 am

Ever17 takes a while to build up, but the final path reveals so much its incredible (You really have to avoid spoilers though). As well, all the paths are interrelated and slowly make sense together as you watch them all as opposed to FSN's essentially three seperate stories. The first time I played I got the Sora/Tsugumi bad end and it wrecked me for the rest of the night.

I will admit Narcissu and Planetarian didn't do too much for me, but they weren't bad and some people really liked them, those are more life lesson ones.

Utawarerumono is pretty combat oriented, you can read the page on the mirror moon site. True Remembrance could be considered a life lesson one as well, but the story has some pretty major plot twists and it is quite short so I would give it a shot and see if it pulls you in. True Remembrance is probably my favorite VN. FSN would come second on that list, it is a really great VN but there is still a lot out there.

Yazan Kiriel
Addict
Posts: 88
Joined: March 29th, 2008, 9:37 am

Unread post by Yazan Kiriel » April 19th, 2008, 7:22 am

Atriel wrote:Are they not romance-centered? Or those life-lesson things? (You know, friendship, true love and all that crap)

I hate that shit <_< It makes me yawn. If they aren't i may check them whenever i can.
And what do you think Type-Moon stuff is about? Power levels? I really can't think of a visual novel that doesn't involve drama, life lessons, and romance.

AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread post by AlinSabel » April 19th, 2008, 7:44 am

Just because it involves those themes doesn't mean it focusses on/is defined by them. These visual novels are defined by their erotic content, hence they are called eroge.
True Remembrance is not specifically a romance story - it's a 'life lesson' story, but I suppose that could be different for someone else, depending on the kind of reader they are.

TheOverlord
Posting more than n00bs
Posts: 21
Joined: March 28th, 2008, 12:43 pm

Unread post by TheOverlord » April 19th, 2008, 9:51 am

Unfourtunately i'm from the UK and we only got Persona 3 about a month ago(picked it up by the way). Also by the looks of things we probably won't be getting FES f**k, f**k, f**k. :evil:

AddleBoy
Crack Desu!
Posts: 267
Joined: January 16th, 2008, 4:00 am
Location: At the end of the world, upon the Hill of Swords.

Unread post by AddleBoy » April 19th, 2008, 2:28 pm

r6 wrote:Ever17 takes a while to build up, but the final path reveals so much its incredible (You really have to avoid spoilers though). As well, all the paths are interrelated and slowly make sense together as you watch them all as opposed to FSN's essentially three seperate stories. The first time I played I got the Sora/Tsugumi bad end and it wrecked me for the rest of the night.
Yeah, Ever17's pretty good. I also got that bad end, and I'm having trouble getting Tsugumi's good end..... :(
Then you realize... That there is no loli. And it's not the loli you're molesting, it's yourself.

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!
Posts: 1030
Joined: October 21st, 2007, 3:49 am

Unread post by Atriel » April 19th, 2008, 4:45 pm

Yazan Kiriel wrote:And what do you think Type-Moon stuff is about? Power levels? I really can't think of a visual novel that doesn't involve drama, life lessons, and romance.
I specified centered, meaning as how it all will circle around those. FSN and Tsukihime, are not. Sure, they may have some of those things, and i actually think they add up quite well. But again, they are not the core of the story.

@r6: Thanks. If i ever can, i'll check out Ever17.

Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!
Posts: 371
Joined: December 23rd, 2007, 6:45 am
Location: Behind you with a loli

Unread post by Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 19th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Tsukihime, Shuffle!, Clannad > Fate/Stay Night
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer

rubberchicken
Crack Addic!
Posts: 183
Joined: May 14th, 2007, 5:31 pm

Unread post by rubberchicken » April 19th, 2008, 5:38 pm

I'm still waiting for somebody to translate the EVE games.

iclim4
Crack Addic!
Posts: 173
Joined: June 16th, 2007, 7:51 pm
Location: My Mommy told me not to give out personal information in the internet.

Unread post by iclim4 » April 20th, 2008, 1:29 am

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:Tsukihime, Shuffle!, Clannad > Fate/Stay Night
Didn't Key make a sequel for Clannad? "Tomoya after" I think.
Having seen the anime I'd love for that game to be translated.

And I've played Suikoden II, actually all, save for IV and tactics.
And even though I'm a VERY big fan of Suikoden games, I still think F/S N wins hands down through immersive story telling.
The only other VN I played is Tsukihime, still on my last route.
And I think F/S N tops it by quite a margin.

On topic: I don't really care what they translate first. But when they do translate HF, I will play it.

AlinSabel
DESU DESU!
Posts: 726
Joined: April 1st, 2008, 10:49 pm

Unread post by AlinSabel » April 20th, 2008, 1:35 am

Tomoyo After.

IIRC, Tomoya would be a guy's name.

iclim4
Crack Addic!
Posts: 173
Joined: June 16th, 2007, 7:51 pm
Location: My Mommy told me not to give out personal information in the internet.

Unread post by iclim4 » April 20th, 2008, 1:44 am

AlinSabel wrote:Tomoyo After.

IIRC, Tomoya would be a guy's name.
Haha yeah, checking Wikipedia it seems the sequel only features one girl, Tomoyo.
Tomoya would be the protagonist of Clannad. >_>

Dante Obscuri
Addict
Posts: 60
Joined: December 26th, 2007, 2:40 am

Unread post by Dante Obscuri » April 20th, 2008, 2:08 am

iclim4 wrote:Haha yeah, checking Wikipedia it seems the sequel only features one girl, Tomoyo.
Yeah, and that's why the game is named Tomoyo After.
► Show Spoiler
iclim4 wrote:Tomoya would be the protagonist of Clannad. >_>
He's the male lead in Tomoyo After, as well.

Anonymous__
Totally hardly posted
Posts: 9
Joined: April 9th, 2008, 4:39 am

Unread post by Anonymous__ » April 20th, 2008, 2:32 am

rubberchicken wrote:I'm still waiting for somebody to translate the EVE games.
Translated? Its available in English.


:wink:

Yazan Kiriel
Addict
Posts: 88
Joined: March 29th, 2008, 9:37 am

Unread post by Yazan Kiriel » April 20th, 2008, 2:53 am

Atriel wrote:
Yazan Kiriel wrote:And what do you think Type-Moon stuff is about? Power levels? I really can't think of a visual novel that doesn't involve drama, life lessons, and romance.
I specified centered, meaning as how it all will circle around those. FSN and Tsukihime, are not. Sure, they may have some of those things, and i actually think they add up quite well. But again, they are not the core of the story.

@r6: Thanks. If i ever can, i'll check out Ever17.
Pretty sure it is, the whole Nasuverse storyline is just a backdrop on how the main hero interacts with the girls and other characters. Notice each path is specific on one girl right? People may think Fate/Stay Night is about the Holy Grail...but more like it's alot about Shioru with his ideals and his women heh.

Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!
Posts: 371
Joined: December 23rd, 2007, 6:45 am
Location: Behind you with a loli

Unread post by Chunky-MonkeyLOL » April 20th, 2008, 3:47 am

iclim4 wrote:
Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:Tsukihime, Shuffle!, Clannad > Fate/Stay Night
Didn't Key make a sequel for Clannad? "Tomoya after" I think.
Having seen the anime I'd love for that game to be translated.

And I've played Suikoden II, actually all, save for IV and tactics.
And even though I'm a VERY big fan of Suikoden games, I still think F/S N wins hands down through immersive story telling.
The only other VN I played is Tsukihime, still on my last route.
And I think F/S N tops it by quite a margin.

On topic: I don't really care what they translate first. But when they do translate HF, I will play it.

Oooooh, so we're talking video games in general and not just vn/eroge? Well fuck! Then F/SN is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from the top.

The HL, Chrono Trigger, Deus Ex, RE, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, and oh so many other series > F/SN for story.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer

Shirosaki
Crack Addic!
Posts: 132
Joined: February 18th, 2008, 4:38 am

Unread post by Shirosaki » April 20th, 2008, 4:05 am

All Persona games , Elfin Lied: Tragedy of an Angel(Japanese obv) made me CRY so hard, and Cross channel was nice with my broken japanese, can understand fate but this breaks my mind in half for no reason >.> my top game is unreal tournament 2k4, will never forget my good clanmates duffy, skaven, frantic (dif clans btw :P) :cry:

iclim4
Crack Addic!
Posts: 173
Joined: June 16th, 2007, 7:51 pm
Location: My Mommy told me not to give out personal information in the internet.

Unread post by iclim4 » April 20th, 2008, 5:01 am

Chunky-MonkeyLOL wrote:

Oooooh, so we're talking video games in general and not just vn/eroge? Well fuck! Then F/SN is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from the top.

The HL, Chrono Trigger, Deus Ex, RE, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, and oh so many other series > F/SN for story.
Alright, I just finished watching Clannad, how can you even consider it to be in the same league as F/S N?
Unless the VN has a much deeper story line, it's pretty shallow.
It's an enjoyable splice of life, love story but it has no depth.

Storywise
My votes go to.
1. F/S N
2. Tsukihime
3. MGS3- you have to see the ending
4. Suikoden II

@Dante Obscure
I just finished watching the anime and Tomoyo just happened to be the one I was routing for. Freaky coincidence, though atleast she gets her own game. ^_^
You seem pretty knowledgable about the subject.
Is the story in "Tomoyo after" any good?
How would you rate it?
Cause I've read it was only made to satisfy horny fans, so I'm a bit skeptical. >_>
Also rate clannad and F/S N for comparison purposes.
Thanks.
And is there an English patch for it?
I'll definately pick up Clannad and Tomoyo after if there is.

I fear this topic might get locked if we keep this up.
So who wants to make a "What game has a better story than FSN?" thread? ^_^

Atriel
OMEGA DESU!
Posts: 1030
Joined: October 21st, 2007, 3:49 am

Unread post by Atriel » April 20th, 2008, 5:08 am

Yazan Kiriel wrote:Pretty sure it is, the whole Nasuverse storyline is just a backdrop on how the main hero interacts with the girls and other characters. Notice each path is specific on one girl right? People may think Fate/Stay Night is about the Holy Grail...but more like it's alot about Shioru with his ideals and his women heh.
What did you read? If you read a little bit of the things not related with the girls, you may understand that throughout the story (Fate and UBW, as i've yet yo play HF) the meaning and essence of "hero" is questioned, amongst other things.

Read what i said carefully, i point out how those things are nicely (and importantly) integrated in the story, but they are not the core of it (wich would annoy me). Yes yes yes. You get one girl on each path, does that means that that's all there is to it?
Keyword: Core.

Just imagine it. What would FSN be if Shirou isn't trying to be a hero? Really. Chances are he wouldn't even summon Saber.

I'll not ponder too much into this, since it's way off-topic now, but if FSN really was a VN all about getting and banging each girl with an ending about true love and friendship, i'd be better off watching some crap on TV. (Wich i don't)

Dante Obscuri
Addict
Posts: 60
Joined: December 26th, 2007, 2:40 am

Unread post by Dante Obscuri » April 20th, 2008, 5:52 am

iclim4 wrote:Alright, I just finished watching Clannad, how can you even consider it to be in the same league as F/S N?
Opinions
iclim4 wrote:Unless the VN has a much deeper story line, it's pretty shallow.
It's an enjoyable splice of life, love story but it has no depth.
Hmm... Perhaps you'll see it in a better light, once you see (or play) the After Story.

I didn't like Clannad more than F/sn, though.
iclim4 wrote:I just finished watching the anime and Tomoyo just happened to be the one I was routing for. Freaky coincidence, though atleast she gets her own game. ^_^
If it interests you, episode 24 (DVD-only) will take place in a different storyline where Tomoya dates Tomoyo.
iclim4 wrote:Is the story in "Tomoyo after" any good?
How would you rate it?
It's not as long, nor was it developed as well as Clannad's After Story. However, it was really nice and fun, nonetheless.

There's a manga for Tomoyo After; however, it doesn't really makes justice to the VN's plot. It may provide you a basic outline for the game's story, though. (All the same, you'll end up spoiled it if you read it.)
iclim4 wrote:Cause I've read it was only made to satisfy horny fans, so I'm a bit skeptical. >_>
The PC version has porn, the PS2 doesn't. Also, the porn is not really relevant to the story.

The creator also said he wrote Tomoyo After because that's something he wanted to do, since he liked Tomoyo a lot.
iclim4 wrote:Also rate clannad and F/S N for comparison purposes.
I liked F/sn more, but those are just my preferences. I enjoyed Clannad a lot too (I have to admit I take some points from it, because I didn't like the main female and her story much.)
iclim4 wrote:And is there an English patch for it?
I'll definately pick up Clannad and Tomoyo after if there is.
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... le=Clannad <--- That's the site for Clannad's translation patch project.
http://forums.novelnews.net/showthread.php?t=16671 <--- This is the one for Tomoyo After (This translation patch is being supervised by the same person who's supervising Clannad's; so, we won't know much of it until the patch for Clannad is released.)
iclim4 wrote:"What game has a better story than FSN?" thread? ^_^
I liked Tsukihime better (I'll probably like it even more after playing the remake).

Post Reply