F/SN and F/HA demos for DS

It's alright, we feel your pain. Noone wants to admit being gar for Berserker.

Moderator: Staffers

F/SN and F/HA demos for DS

Unread postby DesertDog » March 14th, 2008, 11:14 am

I made these to learn how to program/develop for DS. If you're interested and have the right equipment (a DS and a flash cart, or a DS emulator), feel free to have a look.

Fate/stay night Trial Edition (Abridged for DS)

Fate/hollow ataraxia Prologue - Thanks to Blue Gunner for letting me use his translation!

Both can be downloaded from here:
http://multiple-option.blogspot.com/search/label/DS%20Homebrew
DesertDog
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Kanzar » March 14th, 2008, 11:27 am

ZOMG. Looking VERY good. :D Who knows, maybe there'll be the English version of FHA on the DS before it's on the PC! XD
Kanzar
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Superflonic » March 14th, 2008, 5:36 pm

That is very, very nice.
Is porting the pictures and text easier to a DS than on a PC? Ha :)

Anyway, how long did this take you?
Candlejack, I wonder what hap
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chronowraith » March 14th, 2008, 6:11 pm

very interesting, is the source available?
Chronowraith
Addict

Unread postby Gram49 » March 14th, 2008, 7:32 pm

Wow i might just buy a ds for this. It'll be weird thought when people notice that i'm not really playing anything but reading a long story with pictures.
Gram49
Addict

Unread postby Superflonic » March 14th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Gram49 wrote:Wow i might just buy a ds for this. It'll be weird thought when people notice that i'm not really playing anything but reading a long story with pictures.

People already find me odd for reading anything, let alone reading something on my (nonexistant) DS.
Well, that's me :)
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby boingman » March 14th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Wow, this is neat. Too bad that I "only" have a PSP. Any chance that there'll also be a version for that? At least I have the Haruhi Suzumiya PSP game translation patch to look forward to.
And I didn't even know that someone already translated the Fate/hollow ataraxia Prologue.
boingman
Addict

Unread postby DarkRedSky » March 14th, 2008, 11:52 pm

I will download these when the entire game is translated and available... hell i would even get a 4gb microsd just to play them both. Lets hope theres sound, cause the Tsukihime DS version didn't have sound, but it was well done anyway.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby DesertDog » March 15th, 2008, 1:15 am

These took me about a week each to do. I basically had to copy and paste the text, screen grab the pictures and record the sound. So it isn't using the original game files; everything was done from scratch. Obviously, this is long and tedious, and that's why I'm not planning to do the full games.

Source code is available on request, but it's pretty ugly (because I was learning programming as I went along). PM me.

I don't have a PSP, so I personally won't be doing a PSP version. But I'm sure someone is doing one, somewhere...

The F/HA prologue was translated here in the Mirror Moon forums: http://forums.mirrormoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=744

I know of a general-purpose DS visual novel reader, which already runs Tsukihime with sound. http://digital-haze.net/vnds.php No Fate yet, but you can just download mine :)
DesertDog
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby DarkRedSky » March 15th, 2008, 1:26 am

lol already using VNDS. I doubt anyone will do F/SN for the DS. I really would like to see it done. Of course after MM has finished translating HF.

I was hoping you would do it. But since it sounds really difficult I can't blame you. Good job on the trial versions though.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ToasterMage » March 15th, 2008, 3:31 am

DarkRedSky wrote:lol already using VNDS. I doubt anyone will do F/SN for the DS. I really would like to see it done. Of course after MM has finished translating HF.

I was hoping you would do it. But since it sounds really difficult I can't blame you. Good job on the trial versions though.

someone did the prologue, and a very nicely done MOU IKKAI with vnds.

if it doesn`t really get anywhere in a few weeks, I`ll probably do it myself.
ToasterMage
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby lolipedofin » March 15th, 2008, 4:04 am

Is creating a game this easy nowadays...?? :shock:

Anyway, a full game of F/SN on DS would mean warez.... because i don't think there's any installer (even if it done 10 times longer than what Message are doing right now) that can turn a pc game into DS on it's own, because this would include reducing the image size, changing the music and sfx compression, separating the text in the bottom sreen and image on the top screen.. and all those stuffs..

PS: Nice work... i like the idea of separating the text and the image....
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Gram49 » March 15th, 2008, 4:25 am

I think it's actually better that the text and images are separate. You can see the full image without distractions. Also you're not reallying missing out on the images while reading the text because they're still images most of the time anyways with the exception of a change in expression or a hand gesture every now and then.
Gram49
Addict

Unread postby ToasterMage » March 15th, 2008, 4:37 am

lolipedofin wrote:Is creating a game this easy nowadays...?? :shock:

Anyway, a full game of F/SN on DS would mean warez.... because i don't think there's any installer (even if it done 10 times longer than what Message are doing right now) that can turn a pc game into DS on it's own, because this would include reducing the image size, changing the music and sfx compression, separating the text in the bottom sreen and image on the top screen.. and all those stuffs..

PS: Nice work... i like the idea of separating the text and the image....

its as much "warez" as mirror moon translating it in the first place.

As far as an installer, it would just be drag/drop.

Theres also a few other inaccuracies in that post I am too lazy to address.
ToasterMage
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby Kanzar » March 15th, 2008, 5:31 am

Not really. The way you've got it set up, the player doesn't need to buy FSN or FHA to play it. You've included the whole game, rather than just the English text.
Kanzar
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ToasterMage » March 15th, 2008, 7:20 am

Kanzar wrote:Not really. The way you've got it set up, the player doesn't need to buy FSN or FHA to play it. You've included the whole game, rather than just the English text.

by logic of http://monolith.sourceforge.net/, All I`ve really copied is text, which I guess could be considered owned by MM.

of course, assuming you were referring to it still being "warez"
ToasterMage
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby Superflonic » March 15th, 2008, 7:22 am

ToasterMage wrote:
Kanzar wrote:Not really. The way you've got it set up, the player doesn't need to buy FSN or FHA to play it. You've included the whole game, rather than just the English text.

by logic of http://monolith.sourceforge.net/, All I`ve really copied is text, which I guess could be considered owned by MM.

Well, this is a difficult situation.
First of all, you aren't boosting the sales of F/SN at all. All you did was create the entire game- for the DS. So you actually created something new, but you also used something copyrighted. You might not have used the original gamefiles, but you did use copyrighted material: the plot line, artwork, etc...

I'm just not sure if this is considered illegal or not.
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ToasterMage » March 15th, 2008, 7:26 am

Superflonic wrote:
ToasterMage wrote:

Well, this is a difficult situation.
First of all, you aren't boosting the sales of F/SN at all. All you did was create the entire game- for the DS. So you actually created something new, but you also used something copyrighted. You might not have used the original gamefiles, but you did use copyrighted material: the plot line, artwork, etc...

I'm just not sure if this is considered illegal or not.

the link I posted explains exactly that.

as as I said before, the text I`m using is more copyrighted by MM than TM, who I doubt has much a problem with this.
ToasterMage
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby Superflonic » March 15th, 2008, 7:29 am

ToasterMage wrote:the link I posted explains exactly that.

as as I said before, the text I`m using is more copyrighted by MM than TM, who I doubt has much a problem with this.

Haha, yes, I read it.
It's just really hard to get it. You used something but you didn't use anything.
But still though, this would be more illegal than legal, IMO.
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Kanzar » March 15th, 2008, 8:38 am

So where did the pictures come from? :P
Kanzar
Crack Addic!

Next

Return to Fate/stay night Chat