My last name's really long, so...

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Arcueid concealed her last name because...

She forgot it
8%
She was so mad that she forgot it
No votes
She was so hungry that she forgot it
13%
Kinoko Nasu got to this part and forgot it
42%
She wanted to be like Ciel and took no last name
38%

Total votes : 24

My last name's really long, so...

Unread postby WraithR249 » September 13th, 2007, 7:16 am

Brunestud. It's not really that long, is it?

At first I thought she was just being cautious and not saying her last name. But on second thought, that doesn't really seem like something she would care about, given the context of the situation.

Out of curiosity, please give your version of the explanation of this phenomenon.

Also, Out of boredom, I will add a poll for fun.
WraithR249
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby demonblade » September 13th, 2007, 7:26 am

If you think about it, it IS really long, for a Japanese name.

In English, it's relatively short, but when you convert it to katakana, man you get a headache.

In fact, here it is; courtesy of Wikipedia: アルクェイド・ブリュ ンスタッド, or when romanised, Arukueido Buryunsutaddo

One heck of a mouthful, if you ask me.

Also very annoying to write.
demonblade
Addict

Unread postby WraithR249 » September 13th, 2007, 7:35 am

=O.....

Oh.
WraithR249
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby demonblade » September 13th, 2007, 8:02 am

=D

But I understand your train of thought. In fact, when I first saw that statement by Arcueid, I was rather confused by what she said.

In the end, I went to check it out myself, and what do you know, her name really is pretty long.
demonblade
Addict

Unread postby Silverman » September 13th, 2007, 11:45 pm

I understand, I am a Asian myself, and it is a really long last name for People like Chinese and Japanese since they don't have a last name with that kind of sound or however you call that :D
Silverman
Addict

Unread postby Jinnai » September 17th, 2007, 4:16 am

Well even for english speakers it's long.
Jinnai
Might just like this board

Unread postby Raw » September 17th, 2007, 4:29 am

Japanese tend to deform western names a lot. Been through that myself :(
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby miszou » September 17th, 2007, 11:56 am

I think it's just a difficult last name and Shiki would have forgotten in anyway. unlike Japanse names it is not easy to remember and it pretty long in katakana indeed (8 syllables (counting the silent syllable), most Japanese names have about 2, 3 or 4).

For english speakers it is a very short name, only 2 syllables brune - stud, so its easy to remember. Its not the amount of letters that make spoken names easy to remember and short, it are the syllables, and 2 in English against 8 in Japanese makes a difference ^^ At least that is how I see it :3

Maybe Arcueid was just not feeling like it :3 She has that kind of personality ^^
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Eriol-kun » September 17th, 2007, 11:44 pm

Blame it on Nasu.

Global warming? Blame it on Nasu.
Eriol-kun
Crack Addic!

Unread postby mir » September 18th, 2007, 12:57 am

Convenience really, all there is to it. As it was mentioned, saying her last name first when introducing herself (or so I was told by the teachers lol) would be sound odd. But that's really silly because everyone, man and woman alike, just wants to get into Arc's pants =)
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raw » September 18th, 2007, 2:46 am

mir, she has a skirt. Second, if she mentioned her last name, she would have appeared more, like, interesting, leaving aside all that scary "i'm gonna rip your guts open, and bathe in your blood while chewing your brain and squashing your eyeballs, then after that, breaking every bone in your body and stabbing you with the shards" stuff. I believe everyone has an interest in foreign people, even when it was goddamn obvious (blonde, duh) she didn't fit.

Anyway, i believe Brunestud it's 3 syllables "Bru-ne-stud", at least in latin dialect, which by the way, isn't english roots, so, oops.
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby mir » September 18th, 2007, 4:51 am

It's an expression. Don't take it literally =)

As for the last name, I maintain my theory that it is a matter of convenience. I know I'd much rather say/write アルクエイド. As for appearing less scary if she mentioned it...how does this follow?
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby potaatti » September 18th, 2007, 6:41 am

Raw wrote:mir, she has a skirt. Second, if she mentioned her last name, she would have appeared more, like, interesting, leaving aside all that scary "i'm gonna rip your guts open, and bathe in your blood while chewing your brain and squashing your eyeballs, then after that, breaking every bone in your body and stabbing you with the shards" stuff. I believe everyone has an interest in foreign people, even when it was goddamn obvious (blonde, duh) she didn't fit.

Anyway, i believe Brunestud it's 3 syllables "Bru-ne-stud", at least in latin dialect, which by the way, isn't english roots, so, oops.

But why mentioning her last name would make her less scary? :?

Btw, why all Type-Moon heroines seem to have a skirt instead of pants.. :?
potaatti
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Blue Gunner » September 18th, 2007, 6:56 am

potaatti wrote:But why mentioning her last name would make her less scary? :?

Btw, why all Type-Moon heroines seem to have a skirt instead of pants.. :?

I can answer the second part. Welcome to Japan, where girls of high school age do not wear pants (well, the vast majority at least). Instead, they wear leggings or skirts. Or leggings and skirts. The school uniforms give guys pants and girls skirts (pretty scary if it was the other way around...), and there are no "girl's pants" in uniforms. Seeing as the majority of the TYPE MOON heroines wear a uniform of some sort, if they were to wear pants it would appear rather odd to the Japanese, who TYPE MOON aims it's products at. Especially seeing as most of them spend time in their school uniforms.
Improve your vocab and feed people in need: http://www.freerice.com
Blue Gunner
Addict

Unread postby -[J1N]- » September 18th, 2007, 7:46 am

Not to mention the genre the game falls into, it would be more appealing to people.

Personally, I think it's pretty hard to sound it out in English, because u have to move your mouth in all sorts of angles to say it. Does anyone have a proper pronunciation on that work? Brune-stud is how i pronounce it, and heck, Japanese will definitely be a handful
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby miszou » September 18th, 2007, 9:33 am

raw:

I think leaving out her last name would make her much mysterious at he time. You don't need to give your last name to show you are foreigner when you are that blond :P Besides, her first name sounds foreign enough already, don't confuse them too much :P

And unlike latin languages, in English its two syllables :3 (In my native language it would also become 3) but hey,it might be a German name for all I know and be 3 syllables xD

blue gunner: exactly the best way to describe ... welcome in Japan :D where all girls walk in skirt or really really really short pants, you gotta love it ^^
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby potaatti » September 18th, 2007, 4:23 pm

Blue Gunner wrote:I can answer the second part. Welcome to Japan, where girls of high school age do not wear pants (well, the vast majority at least). Instead, they wear leggings or skirts. Or leggings and skirts. The school uniforms give guys pants and girls skirts (pretty scary if it was the other way around...), and there are no "girl's pants" in uniforms. Seeing as the majority of the TYPE MOON heroines wear a uniform of some sort, if they were to wear pants it would appear rather odd to the Japanese, who TYPE MOON aims it's products at. Especially seeing as most of them spend time in their school uniforms.

Well, yes, I forgot that they are often wearing an uniform.. Anyway, I asked because I'm not particularly familiar with Japan (unlike in Japan, majority of girls in here are wearing pants most of the time). :)
potaatti
Crack Addic!

Unread postby demonblade » September 18th, 2007, 5:10 pm

Somehow I get the feeling that many of the people here pretty much prefer them not to wear anything at all...XD
demonblade
Addict

Unread postby Raw » September 19th, 2007, 2:18 am

demonblade: exactly :)

And by the way, i'm still very much exceptical about the famous gym "shorts". They look like goddamn sport underwear.

miszou: i believe it's at least comes from a derivative of an german language. And i don't find it hard at all to pronounce it english, even if my first language is spanish, well, mexican spanish, but you have to be mexican to understand the difference. Yeah, i'm very proud of my nationality, and just two days ago, we celebrated our independence day.
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » September 19th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Raw wrote:And by the way, i'm still very much exceptical about the famous gym "shorts". They look like goddamn sport underwear.

Hey i know what you mean. They're really short for it to even be called shorts.

Their swimsuit uniforms also don't seem to cover up that much either :o
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to Tsukihime Chat