Distant Reed Warbler (spoilers!)

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Distant Reed Warbler (spoilers!)

Unread postby bbq » August 23rd, 2007, 8:58 am

After finishing Tsukihime, I would have to say that Akiha's normal ending was the most emotional for me.

So,
did anyone notice the clever title behind Akiha's normal ending? IIRC, a reed warbler is a bird that is brood-parasited, that is, it is tricked into raising the offspring of other birds. Birds, such as the cuckoo, may lay their eggs in a reed warbler's nest, thus they don't raise their own offspring, so they have more time to feed, etc.

Anyway, in Akiha's normal ending, Akiha succumbs to her inversion impulse, and becomes an emotionless, primitive, beast-like creature that acts only on instinct. She is isolated in the detached building, and Shiki ends up taking care of her, visiting her frequently, letting her leech and feed off of his blood, tending to her needs, etc. Similar to the reed warbler which raises another bird's offspring, Shiki raises/cares for/tends to a creature who mentally isn't the person that he has come to love. They both care for something that they really aren't inclined to care for, and they both are victims of another parasitic creature. In a metaphorical sense, Shiki is a "Distant Reed Warbler" and Akiha is the cuckoo.

I just thought that I'd share my opinion on how clever the ending's title is. Akiha's normal ending just really left an impression on me, probably because of its depth and meaningful title, but mostly because of the fact that Shiki strives to maintain his smile for Akiha, so that she can return to sanity never seeing his sad face.
bbq
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby puKKa » August 23rd, 2007, 3:23 pm

Akihas ending were those that had most effect on me, I couldnt play the remaining routes for like a month after player her routes. Interesting about the ending name ^^
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby Beowulf Lee » August 23rd, 2007, 11:45 pm

Akiha's endings had the most emotional impact but I hated them because it makes me feel like a failure with all the other girls getting in the least some what of a happy ending. Well, at least before I read A Story for the Evening in Kagetsu Tohya, a continuation of Akiha's true ending, which left me much more satisfied.
Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Unread postby mir » August 24th, 2007, 12:04 am

I noticed the reference when I first played through but...

While I saw the similarities, I did not think it was entirely accurate representation. I thought it was more guilt that forced him to take care of Vermilion Akiha, guilt because he was unable to go through with the only option that would have saved her, guilt because he knew that she would face certain destruction if let loose on the world.

Or maybe he just likes her red hair =)
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raw » August 24th, 2007, 4:24 pm

I really liked Shiki's decision of sacrificing himself for Akiha, it's pure emotional and romantic gold. For me, that's the best of Shiki in all his routes. But anyway, Tsukihime isn't very very emotional, it's sad, but no to move yourself to tears, like Kanon or Air does to me.
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Einherjar » August 27th, 2007, 9:50 pm

Fate/Stay Night is sadder than Tsukihime in any way I can think of, but Akiha's endings are indeed emotional. Even Type-Moon can't leave it alone and made "A story for the evening" which made me feel much better. :)
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby okmol » September 3rd, 2007, 10:25 am

Man I nearly cry when I was finishing the true ending. It is very sad. The normal ending is also very sad. I hate Akiha normal and True ending it is more sad than Arc ending
okmol
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Raw » September 4th, 2007, 4:02 am

Arc ending isn't sad :S I know it's supposed to be, but i wasn't for me.
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby bbq » September 4th, 2007, 10:23 pm

Instead of not finding Arc's ending sad, I felt that Akiha's true ending wasn't sad for some reason. Then again I was awake for 2 days straight playing Tsukihime.. so I dunno.
bbq
Into 17 Pieces

Return to Tsukihime Chat