Weird Math/Idiotic Question...

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Weird Math/Idiotic Question...

Unread postby dwroxas » December 11th, 2012, 10:59 pm

...So on the Mizuumi Wiki for Melty Blood it says that since Shiki's Another Arc slices 17 times, the enemy would be cut into 18 pieces. Is this true?
In the game that is life the last hand we are dealt is Death, but it is up to the individual to make something out of what appears to be nothing...
dwroxas
Posting more than n00bs

Re: Weird Math/Idiotic Question...

Unread postby Message » December 12th, 2012, 6:16 am

Not necessarily. If you cut something, you're left with two pieces. If you cut again, depending on how you cut you can either have three pieces or four (think of a cake). If you cut 17 times, you could have a bucketload of pieces, or only 18, depending on how efficiently you cut. However, Shiki doesn't actually cut 17 times:

女の体にある計十七個の黒い線、
(...)
彼女を、十七個の肉片に『解体』した。
(both lines from s65)

Onna no karada ni aru kei jū nana ko no kuroi sen,
kanojo o, jū nana ko no nikuhen ni 'kaitai' shi ta.

Our translation:
The black lines that divide her into seventeen pieces.
I "dismantle" her into seventeen pieces of meat.

The first sentence gave my limited Japanese skills some trouble, but at least the second line seems pretty obvious as far as direct meaning is concerned. So if the translation is accurate, I must conclude that either the Mizuumi Wiki is wrong, or Melty Blood's Shiki uses a different attack on Arcueid than Tsukihime's Shiki.

Unread postby dwroxas » December 13th, 2012, 10:27 pm

Oh, thanks!
In the game that is life the last hand we are dealt is Death, but it is up to the individual to make something out of what appears to be nothing...
dwroxas
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Message » December 14th, 2012, 6:07 am

I'm assuming you're talking about this part? http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Melty_Blood/S ... _Arc_Drive

It actually says cutting 17 times leaves at least 18 pieces. So I guess the whole point of that note is to show the difference between MB and Tsukihime.

Return to Tsukihime Chat