How does Aozaki......

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

How does Aozaki......

Unread postby RaffyS » June 2nd, 2012, 6:37 am

know about Shiki or was their meeting just a big coincidence? Was she simply being kind by spending some time with a lonely, hospitalised boy or was she aware of his eyes?

This has always bothered me when I replay the game and would really like some clarification, thanks!
RaffyS
Totally hardly posted

Re: How does Aozaki......

Unread postby Message » June 3rd, 2012, 8:46 am

I've never heard of a reason for Aozaki being there, but the meeting makes perfect sense from a story-telling perspective. The story doesn't allow Shiki to walk around without his glasses all the time, probably to make it more interesting at the time he does take off his glasses. It's like a down-to-earth method of making him 'activate' his ability. In F/sn it's done by introducing magic circuits, in Tsukihime it's done by introducing his glasses. (Note how for example Akiha's abilities are activated in a more classic style, without any specific explanation.)

The need to have Shiki keep on his glasses most of the time leads to the concept of increased stresses on the brain when Shiki does activate his mystic eyes. This, in turn, means that if young Shiki doesn't meet Aozaki, he would very soon die of brain trauma, and the story would end. So the story is in need of a glasses introduction. This is handled by the meeting on the hill. It's a deus ex machina, but a necessary one.

Unread postby RaffyS » June 4th, 2012, 2:36 pm

I see what you mean. I thought maybe she knew because of the fact that she's one of the 5 Sorcerers and she had come to guide him but I guess I can live with it being a coincidence.
Strange powers attract other strange things as Aoko puts it.
RaffyS
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » June 4th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Reading the intro again, it looks like Aoko is somewhat surprised to meet Shiki that time, nearly tripping over him in fact. She doesn't seem very surprised about his eyes though, but at least his suffering because of it is not something she recognizes immediately: It takes a few days before Shiki tells her about it, and only then she decides to go steal Touko's mystic eyes killer.

She does call their meeting "fate", and her helping Shiki with his eyes "the reason why she's there". So yeah, I'd say it's coincidence, but not quite a random event.

Return to Tsukihime Chat