Tsukihime on PSP

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Tsukihime on PSP

Unread postby Alternity » December 22nd, 2006, 6:40 am

I'm trying to get your english version of Tsukihime to work on my PSP.

There are builds of the japanese version of ONScripter for PSP:
http://www.geocities.jp/stm_torm/ons/psp.html

And I've found some guides which talk about moving the Japanese version of Tsukihime to PSP:
http://ameblo.jp/pspsp/entry-10004883043.html
http://blog.livedoor.jp/zot666/archives/50097183.html

I don't really expect this to be possible due the differences between the English and Japanese versions of ONScripter, but I felt like giving it a shot.

So I (after much google translating) finally figured out the steps and downloaded the correct programs.

Unfortunetly I'm already stuck.

I'm using sarconv (download here) to convert the images from their current size to 640 so that it will fit on the psp. I used the following command:

Code: Select all
sarconv -psp 640 arc.sar arc_psp.sar

And it starts to convert the files with the following:
Code: Select all
0/827
1/827
2/827
13/827
14/827
15/827
16/827

At 16/827 it freezes for a bit then I get the "Sorry this program has..." message from Windows.

I'm guessing this is because of a difference in how the sar archives are handled between the Japanese and English versions. I'm not sure if it's something trivial, but for anyone interested you can get the source of sarconv here.

Another distinct possiblity is that my computer's RAM (All 256MB of it) simply isn't enough to allow the image proccessing or somesuch.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions about this. Also if anyone knows if it's even possible to use the PSP ONScripter with the English version of Tsukihime that would be great. Or at least save me the trouble of trying to figure it out any further. Thanks.
Alternity
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » December 22nd, 2006, 7:19 am

I'd suggest using sardec and to batch convert all images manually. But if you're converting to 640x480 you're wasting time... Tsukihime already is 640x480. Also keep in mind that you'll need to decrypt arc.nsa as well. When you're done simply compress everything to arc.nsa with nsaarc and you should be able to run it on insani's version of ONS. Our modifications to ONS deal solely with using both arc.sar and arc.nsa at the same time, so you won't need our builds to get things to work if you're only using arc.nsa. But you'll probably still have to compile insani's ONS by yourself.

I doubt things will work on a Japanese ONS build, as far as I know they don't have halfwidth support. Besides, unless you're going to hack a font to display | as ... you'll need to use our (halfwidth) default.ttf anyway. Note that you can of course still change the setwindow commands to increase the font size.

Unread postby TheXev » December 23rd, 2006, 7:53 am

The core ONscripter builds support half-width via chendo's mod, so it should work fine on the PSP. If you get everything working, please post some pics!
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Alternity » December 26th, 2006, 6:38 am

Well the PSP version is built on the Japanese ONScripter version.

The half-width support is only in the English version of ONS. I'm going to look into the differences in the source of the Japanese PSP version and see if it's easy to add the PSP modules into the English version. No promises though, since my programming(Python and PHP :P) and language (English) skills are minimal :P.
Alternity
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Atvaark » February 20th, 2007, 10:31 pm

hmm...i posted something earlier talking about how i managed to get tsukihime working on the psp, and after seeing this thread, i erased it.

well, i managed to get tsukihime with the English patch to work on my psp...but it crashes after the prologue.
i use the latest onscripter for psp (2006/10/25) in Japanese to get the original unpatched game to work flawlessly. of course the english patch didn't work with that one, so i digged up a bit and found an english version of onscripter for psp (2005/10/30) i guess it's a start? my guess is that that old version of onscripter can't support looking for the arc.nsa file in tandem with the arc.sar...i got a blue screen of death on my psp.hehe

oh, the new japanese onscripter doesn't require any modification of the original tsukihime files, just modify ons.ini and change the following entries:
RESOLUTION=640
SCREENSIZE=FULL
CPUCLOCK=333

there. flawless original tsukihime

here's the link to the latest japanese onscriptor:
http://www.geocities.jp/stm_torm/ons/psp.html

and here's the only english one i found...
http://pspupdates.qj.net/ONScripter-for ... 9/aid/8423

maybe that can help...
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Message » February 21st, 2007, 10:20 am

As I said, only our build supports using arc.sar and arc.nsa at the same time. It was a modification zalas wrote, apparently noone needed this functionality in the past. You need to unpack arc.sar, then unpack arc.nsa overwriting any duplicate files. Then pack everything into one big arc.nsa and it should work. Note that there should not be a file called arc.sar in the directory as ONS will automatically use sar if it finds it, regardless of what you tell it to use.

Unread postby Atvaark » February 21st, 2007, 7:24 pm

message, has anyone told you how awesome you are? if i wasn't male, i'd kiss you: i now have a working port of tsukihime on my psp in english!

now if only i could modify the screen resolution like the japanese version...the english onscripter works in 360 X 270. nasty screen chopping. oh well, at least, i can read everything.
Last edited by Atvaark on February 21st, 2007, 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Message » February 21st, 2007, 8:31 pm

If you're lucky you might be able to find a resolution switch in the insani psp makefiles, but I have no idea about that kind of thing so you're on your own there. Does PSP support 640x480 then? If you must run at lower res I'd suggest batch resizing all images, but you may have to edit the setwindow settings and all menu button coordinates in 0.txt. But then again I gather you've already gotten that part to work.

Unread postby Atvaark » February 21st, 2007, 9:09 pm

hmm...the japanese onscripter has a configuration file, so it's easy to make the original tsukihime work correctly.
the english onscripter for psp has no such option anywhere...i had to resize every image manually to make it fit...even there, the title and cg images aren't showing correctly. japanese onscripter for psp does support 640x480, to my knowledge, English does not.
font is a bit small though.
oh well, at least it works, and it's readable.

i even have the music working. ogg for japanese, and mp3 for english.

i wish i knew how to compile my own sources, i'd modify insani's and port it to psp, and if i knew how to compile, i guess porting your onscripter patch would be a piece of cake too, since you give the source on the mirror moon main page...aaah...maybe someone in the forum has the knowledge to do it?

*edit* meh. i found a workaround, take all the image files in the arc files, and reduce them to 56.25% of their original size. i found a decent tool that does it automatically for the jpgs and bmp files, but it won't touch mirror moon's png files, so i had to do those the manual way...well, the results are worth it, i now have tsukihime in english on my psp, working as flawlessly as the japanese version.only downside, is that the font is a bit small and hard to read on a white background.
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby absb87 » February 27th, 2007, 2:50 am

There is a decent guide avialable here which also appiles to the English version of Tsukihime (also covers fate):

http://nrvnqsr.proboards20.com/index.cg ... 035&page=1

Here is also a post on English Tsukihime ported to the PSP:

http://nrvnqsr.proboards20.com/index.cg ... 1163650572

If anyone actually compiles a recent version of Onscripter for PSP with 1-byte characters enabled then I'd sure like to know!
absb87
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Atvaark » February 27th, 2007, 12:06 pm

the latest onscripter for psp in japanese makes it very easy to play tsukihime, kagetsu tohya and fate/stay night on my psp...getting english patches to work is possible also, but you need an older english release of onscripter for psp to do it. recompiling an arc.nsa or arc.sar is not hard at all, the only problem lies in the limitations of the english onscripter. japanese can support full resolution, so no need to resize everything, also supports ogm files, so i basically just have to copy and paste my primary game files to make it work. english does not support full resolution,does not support ogm files, only mp3. i did manage to get translations to work with everything readable, but the resolution is too small for the text to be agreable to read.like i said. japanese is perfect, english is not. now we just need to find someone skilled enough to compile the latest onscripter for psp in english, and everything should work out. as for me, just having these games on the go in good quality is enough awesomeness for now.

*edit* boy, i sure do know how to repeat myself there, huh? anyway, i'll post some pictures of gameplay. worry not, no H scenes.i think the mods would start a crying fit if they saw another one.at least, that's what the easter eggs lead me to believe, hehe
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Message » February 27th, 2007, 3:08 pm

Atvaark wrote:the latest onscripter for psp in japanese makes it very easy to play tsukihime, kagetsu tohya and fate/stay night

Uhuh... Yeah. Tell us how you did that and we'll give you a prize. >_____<

Unread postby Atvaark » March 3rd, 2007, 7:17 pm

http://izuno.blog22.fc2.com/blog-entry-35.html

i asked.and seriously. even if i don't grasp japanese, i managed to scrape enough info from that very detailed tutorial.
you could write an english one. i got by with filenames and some hard work.if it wasn't illegal, i' d send you my arc file...but you should have even less trouble managing with these info. after modifying the tsukihime files to work with the english onscripter with your patch, i kinda had a pretty good idea of the process anyway. okay. you win, it WASNT easy for fate, but the other 2 were really quite child like accessible. copy/paste files, lol. oh yeah, btw, if any of you wanna do it too, there's 2 or 3 dead links for vital tools on that page, can,t remember wich but i got a zip file with all the required stuff to do it.

*edit*
where's my prize?
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atvaark » March 19th, 2007, 6:32 pm

oh crap...when you search onscripter for psp english on google...it pinpoints here...that might explain why my email got flooded by requests to make the english patch work...you reap what you sow, i guess?

what have i done?
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Message » March 19th, 2007, 8:00 pm

Are you trying to tell me someone wrote a KRKR->NS converter for this game? O__o I seriously doubt F/sn should be called playable outside of KRKR. Most of the effects it uses are not even possible in ONS without jumping through a great many, rather awkward loops...

Unread postby Atvaark » March 19th, 2007, 8:10 pm

do you expect me to understand everything? i followed the instructions, played for around 30 minutes and declared it works.i don't have any programming skills...just basic logic. as such, i don't understand what you were talking about.what is krkr? the default engine for the game?

anyways, it is playable. buggy, yeah, but it doesn't freeze or anything, i think i could even finish a story arc, if i could understand more japanese...but anyways, it's more something to impress friends i think.
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Message » March 20th, 2007, 5:45 am

No, I don't expect you to understand everything.

F/sn uses KAG3, which is an AVG engine built on KRKR. It is much more advanced than NScripter. Porting a KAG3 title to NS is like... porting Age of Empires to Win3.1. >_>;;

Unread postby Atvaark » March 20th, 2007, 6:30 am

but win 3.1 today with third party software can do some pretty nifty things...anyway...i'll try to play it on my psp and on my pc at the same time to see what you were talking about.
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Message » March 20th, 2007, 12:18 pm

Maybe you can make a digicam recording of, say, the first fighting scene and upload it somewhere? I'm very interested in seeing what they've been able to do. ^__^

Unread postby Atvaark » March 21st, 2007, 8:48 pm

that could be a bit complicated. my only digital camera is the chotto shot camera for psp...but i think there's some homebrew that allows ingame recording of vids...i'll try to get it to work with fate...btw, when do i get the fighting scene? after around half an hour of walls of text, i still didn't reach it.
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Next

Return to Tsukihime Chat