PC Tsukihime on the Mac

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

PC Tsukihime on the Mac

Unread postby neverknowsbesta » December 6th, 2006, 7:07 pm

Hi! This is my first post. Hello everyone!

I am a Mac user, so i was very happy to learn that the Tsukihime patch would work on mac. But i have a question: if Tsukihime is a PC CD, will it work on the Mac? PC CDs simply can't be read by most Macs, so how would i be able to extract the files and get it to actually work if my computer won't even let me read the CD?
neverknowsbesta
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby puKKa » December 6th, 2006, 8:31 pm

I'm no expert on filesystems but I looked into it a little and this is how I understand it.

the Tsukihime disc is in CDFS-format. this format is not readable by a mac if its sessions are not closed. windows on the otherhand can read the discs even if the sessions are still open.
a disc that has been massproduced on the other hand should have its sessions closed, but I'm not not that knowlegable in that stuff neither so I'm just assuming since it would be logical.
so, if you want to burn a disc from a windows os you need to be sure to close the sessions, this is something that the in-built wizard in windows does not do. also, as I've understood it, use non-joilet mode and only ISO 9660. that is something I'm a bit confused at since as I've understood it ISO 9660 without Joilet does not support unicode filenames which could be troublesome with some of the files on the disc.

I just did some googling though..
iddqd
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby Message » December 7th, 2006, 7:01 am

If all else fails, you could always insert the CD in a pc and copy the file required during installation to your Mac. But it looks like things are stranded a bit for the OSX release, so...

Unread postby neverknowsbesta » December 7th, 2006, 5:10 pm

Is there anyone on the forms here anywhere that has installed Tsukihime on a mac? Or tried and failed? I'd be really happy if someone could tell me for sure if it works or not.

If not, i might just break down and finally get bootcamp, but that requires me to buy windows...But that's not too big a deal since with windows i'll be able to do a lot more than just play tsukihime =).

Message, regarding your last comment, does that mean that the OSX release is running into problems or might not be released?
neverknowsbesta
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » December 7th, 2006, 5:53 pm

You cannot use insani's ONScripter builds for Tsukihime English, so I'd be surprised if anyone got it working on a Mac.

neverknowsbesta wrote:Message, regarding your last comment, does that mean that the OSX release is running into problems or might not be released?

It will be released... I hope. >_> I'll try to get things rolling again.

Unread postby neverknowsbesta » December 8th, 2006, 3:21 pm

Thanks, that helps. I'm glad to know that the OSX and Linux is still in the works.
Good luck! I really appreciate what you guys are doing.
neverknowsbesta
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby c15zyx » February 20th, 2007, 6:21 am

Just wanted to say thanks for the onscripter patch, now I can also run it on my Powerbook instead of just on my old PC. By static-linking the libraries and using Platypus as a wrapper, it's even double-click friendly like on the PC, so no need to even launch the terminal.

Here's a shot for interested Mac users:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w178 ... me_mac.jpg
c15zyx
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby c15zyx » February 25th, 2007, 3:12 pm

As required by the license, I have diffs for my patches against the Makefiles and onscripter sourcecode. I don't have any webspace, so if someone wants them please inquire at c15zyx at hotmail dot com.

The Mac OS X insani Makefile was edited to fill in the missing library dependencies, and remove dependency on non-stock Mac OS X libraries.

I also patched onscripter so that skipping forward using 's' or 'cntrl' actually works now in windowed-mode for Mac OS X. This was a problem in the Mac version games I've seen that were based on onscripter (hanihani, etc) where using 's' or 'cntrl' to skip forward was really slow when a background was present- only a bit faster than speed '3' on my machine. For some reason having SDL update regions in-loop during the flush is very expensive in OS X windowed mode, but runs at full speed when in fullscreen. So I adjusted the draw loop so it runs at the fast 'page skipping' speed as I've experienced in windowed mode on my Windows PC.
c15zyx
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby miszou » February 26th, 2007, 4:30 am

It works really fine ^__^

I'm so glad that it could run on a mac perfectly
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby c15zyx » March 17th, 2007, 4:08 am

Some people have mailed me asking about this, so my modified build is available here.
Patches are available here.
If the bandwidth is exceeded, just try again later.
c15zyx
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby MaDMaLKaV » March 17th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Thanks a lot. Now I only need to take my tsukihime game cd to some friend house to apply the patch on a pc an play ^^
MaDMaLKaV
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby c15zyx » March 17th, 2007, 1:54 pm

Yeah, hopefully in the future the patch files can also be distributed in a platform-agnostic way so that wouldn't be necessary.
c15zyx
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby MaDMaLKaV » March 20th, 2007, 4:52 pm

What format are the original patch files ? Or are they embemded on the installer and aren't avaiable in any other form because of license issues?
MaDMaLKaV
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby c15zyx » March 20th, 2007, 11:36 pm

I guess it's just easier to have a all-in-one graphical installer, because the user can select ero or non-ero versions, as well as have it copy the arc.sar over from the CD. This way, the average user doesn't have to worry about copying the right files to the right places.
c15zyx
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby MaDMaLKaV » March 21st, 2007, 12:02 pm

Oh, I didn't knew there was an option for ero and non-ero version. That will help me to bring some more people to play the game :)
MaDMaLKaV
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby komomac » March 26th, 2007, 12:01 pm

I didn't know there was already a thread on Tsukihime Mac OS X client.

But here is the packaged binary, modified source included.
Just extract the program and put into the same folder as the Tsukihime and run it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5t2znnckwz1
Last edited by komomac on March 29th, 2007, 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
komomac
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby c15zyx » March 26th, 2007, 12:31 pm

komomac, the binary doesn't work because dynamic links to your Fink installation were used, so users of the binary also need to have the following additional libraries installed in the same places on their system:

Code: Select all
/sw/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0, current version 8.2.0)
/sw/lib/libsmpeg-0.4.0.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 2.3.0)
/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.2.0)
/sw/lib/libSDL_ttf-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0)
/sw/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.0.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 2.2.0)
/sw/lib/libSDL_mixer-1.2.0.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.4.0)
/sw/lib/libbz2.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.1, current version 1.0.3)
/sw/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib (compatibility version 63.0.0, current version 63.0.0)
/sw/lib/libpng.3.dylib (compatibility version 16.0.0, current version 16.0.0)

You should link the libraries statically otherwise users will have to get those files too.
c15zyx
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby komomac » March 28th, 2007, 2:21 pm

Thanks c15zyx, I have fixed the file and upload the new link.

I hope this time it will work without a problem.

c15zyx wrote:komomac, the binary doesn't work because dynamic links to your Fink installation were used, so users of the binary also need to have the following additional libraries installed in the same places on their system:

Code: Select all
/sw/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0, current version 8.2.0)
/sw/lib/libsmpeg-0.4.0.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 2.3.0)
/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.2.0)
/sw/lib/libSDL_ttf-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0)
/sw/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.0.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 2.2.0)
/sw/lib/libSDL_mixer-1.2.0.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.4.0)
/sw/lib/libbz2.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.1, current version 1.0.3)
/sw/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib (compatibility version 63.0.0, current version 63.0.0)
/sw/lib/libpng.3.dylib (compatibility version 16.0.0, current version 16.0.0)

You should link the libraries statically otherwise users will have to get those files too.
komomac
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby c15zyx » March 28th, 2007, 3:19 pm

Almost, but not quite :) When you compiled your libraries through Fink, they all linked to each other dynamically (since Fink-compiled libs are not designed to be distributed). For example, your SDL_mixer relies on libvorbis in /usr/sw, etc. Use the program 'otool' on your .dylib libraries to see all external dependencies.

That's one of the reasons I chose to just build everything into the executable for my build, so there are no 'mystery' dependencies except for those that come built in to Mac OS X (QuickTime, libSystem, etc) and you save some space after stripping the binary afterwards.
c15zyx
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby komomac » March 29th, 2007, 12:36 pm

c15zyx how did you manage to do a -static compile? because when i try to compile with vanilla onscripter-20070206, it kept giving me error.

c++ -O3 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -pipe -c `sdl-config --cflags` `smpeg-config --cflags` -DMACOSX -DEXTERNAL_MIDI_PROGRAM -DUTF8_FILESYSTEM -static onscripter.cpp
{standard input}:581:FATAL:incompatible feature used: directive .non_lazy_symbol_pointer (must specify "-dynamic" to be used)
make: *** [onscripter.o] Error 1
komomac
Totally hardly posted

Next

Return to Tsukihime Chat