A child born from Arcueid and Shiki

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Kikuchi » April 13th, 2009, 2:18 am

Chaos Chaud wrote:And still leaves possibility to the archiki's kid to have it :)
Yeah, still, it won't exactly be a pleasant experience. Like I have said. :lol:

Wouldn't it be better if the kid just acquire Arc's eyes? Doesn't cost anything :lol:
When will I get my 1337th post?
Kikuchi
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chaos Chaud » April 13th, 2009, 2:33 am

Let's leave the parents decide whose eyes are better? :lol:

I bet Arc will want the kid to have shiki's eyes... :lol:

By the way, I just thought of something. I would be very scary if someone said to the kid the otherwise normal quote : "You have your father's eyes" or "You have a body as vigorous as your mother"

Wouldn't it be scary? :lol:
"Let Chaos consume your soul, and you won't be neither good nor evil, neither light nor darkness. You will be hollow, will be future, will be freedom." -Chaos Chaud
"You defeat him" -GARcher
"Drown in your ideals and die" -GARcher
"My spine hurts. My body is cold. My fingers are frozen. Yet, my brain burns with fire."- T. Shiki
Chaos Chaud
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Kikuchi » April 13th, 2009, 3:08 am

^If you take it out of the context (actually, IN the context), yeah, it sounds deliciously scary. :lol:
Kikuchi
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » April 13th, 2009, 3:14 am

@Chaos Chaud
Well, that's a logical explaination that covers most ground, I say. Genetically speaking, that could be the case if only Shiki is the one to be born, in all human history, with this dormant MEoDP gene; but leaves the chance that somebody else that was born in the past have that same gene, leaving also the chance that, theoretically speaking, almost anybody could have it.
Let's imagine a scenario taking place some time in the past where a subject is born with that gene. Since it's a gene, as you say, it could be passed on to it's offsprings, right? and the same would go for the offsprings' offsprings and on and on. That would leave generations of a family having that same dormant gene. If we consider the family to be one to reproduce solely through inbreeding (as the Nanaya), we could say that this could be a closed environment where only this family is the one with such a gene, but that is only if you could isolate the very first subject to carry it.

If, after a number generations, we move the family to an open environment, the subjects carrying this gene would be able to breed with others who don't carry it. This would cause a boom with children carrying the dormant MEoDP, if we move a bit more generations into the future, then a load of children would be potential world-destroyers, if they have a near death-experience.

Even considering that a number of the children born to parents who have said gene, have it as a recessive one or don't have it at all, there could still be a lot of others to have it. With modern medicine, stories of people who almost died but "made it back" are increasing in number, it would also mean that people with active MEoDP would increase.

In other words, if there was someone in the past born with this gene, be it an entire family or just one single person, there would already be more than one* person with this ability.

If it was a gene, in order to still be considered "special" (as in, highly rare, near to nobody has ever had it) it would have to be a very, very peculiar one. The kind to just pop-up unadvised in very counted subjects between strectched lenghts of time only to dissappear in future generations.

If the gene was capable of being passed on to offsprings, then that boom would have ocurred years ago. Since we don't see such a scenario, either:
a) That gene, if it is a gene, would have to be the kind that show up and then vanish.
b) Subjects who have this gene are sterile, thus aren't capable of breeding, succesfully killing any chance for the gene to be passed on.**

The conclusion would be that Shiki's daughter or son (take your pick) wouldn't have any more chance to develop MEoDP than, say, the kid next-door, the secretary working her ass off in an office or the starving children in Africa (who subsequently have more near-death experiences, rendering an army of african children capable of slicing the world! :lol:).

* I'm merely counting it as one persone to have it, since both T. Shiki and R. Shiki are in different universes.
I spoiled myself a bit of KnK. I DO NOT KNOW if it is true, but I read that in the end Mikiya and Shiki have a daughter, rendering this possibility useless,
leaving only possibility a)
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Tessara » April 13th, 2009, 3:27 am

Chaos Chaud wrote:(and it is problably rare, very rare unless Shiki starts to reproduce as a rabbit)

Given the powers of the Tohno gland, I'd say this is pretty likely. In another 5 generations, 25% of the world's population is going to be part of the Tohno harem/family. . .
Tessara
Addict

Unread postby Kikuchi » April 13th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Tessara wrote:
Chaos Chaud wrote:(and it is problably rare, very rare unless Shiki starts to reproduce as a rabbit)

Given the powers of the Tohno gland, I'd say this is pretty likely. In another 5 generations, 25% of the world's population is going to be part of the Tohno harem/family. . .
Sounds like events in DNA^2 is repeating all over again... :lol:
Kikuchi
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Windar » April 13th, 2009, 6:56 pm

I see the thread I started taking a different turn O.o but opinions are lovely! :P

Keep up the good work!
Windar
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Chaos Chaud » April 13th, 2009, 10:05 pm

Maybe this is getting a little off-topic, but since it is for the sake of archiki's eyes (Oh I named their kid "archiki" since I have a lack of imagination 8) )

@abscess
Isn't it to preserve the ratio of such unusual genes or powers that those clans (Nanaya, Tohno, or whatever) keep inbreeding?
Anyway, I don't know R.Shiki's case (By the way, that's why I keep using T.Shiki as example... And I thought both shikis were in the universe :? ... ) But T.Shiki didn't live a near death experience, he lived a death experience. And we can say, that for someone to live through a death experience is rare, very rare even with modern medicine...

Well, if you still find flaws after this, I'm already thinking of another theory. Though, I don't know if I'll find a better one...

@Tessara and Kikuchi

Yeah, Super playboy Shiki is in the house!!!! 8)

Though it is very easy to control it...
Here is the recipe to control it:
Ingredient:
- 1 woman from the list:
-Arc
-Ciel
-Akiha
-Rampaging Crazy Kohaku
Steps for preparing it:
-Just season the ingredient of your choice with refined jealousy. And it's done! A spell to control Super playboy Shiki!
Special Case: If you have made the choice of using the forth ingredient, you can use it raw, no need of seasoning it.

Isn't it simple? 8)
"Let Chaos consume your soul, and you won't be neither good nor evil, neither light nor darkness. You will be hollow, will be future, will be freedom." -Chaos Chaud
"My spine hurts. My body is cold. My fingers are frozen. Yet, my brain burns with fire."- T. Shiki
Chaos Chaud
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Headron » April 14th, 2009, 5:58 pm

Here's another idea for the whole gene thing. Lets say some 20 generations past someone in the nanaya clan had the dorment MEoDP gene but never had the death/near-death experience to activate it but still passed on the gene. Now when this gene gets passed on it stays inactive untill its passed on through so many generations. So the reason we don't have thousands on poeple with MEoDP is because the gene becomes inactive for multiple generations. T. Shiki got lucky becuase the gene became active during his generation and he had the death/Near-death experience. So it could be true that multiple people have this dorment gene but unless the gene is active in their generation, even if they have the death/near-death experience the MEoDP won't activate.
Gilgamesh: Stupid MONGRELS forcing me to live on a roof for eternity.

viewtopic.php?p=55233#55233
Headron
Might just like this board

Unread postby Chaos Chaud » April 14th, 2009, 9:47 pm

@Headron

It is a good guess, but ,as far as I know (if you have another information, please tell me it), your inactivate gene process can't really be explained by modern science. Unless there were two genes to explain it: one that only determines if the MEoDP is activate or not, and the second is the MEoDP gene itself. And in a inbreeding clan special case, that is highly unlikely. Since there is low variability in DNA, if one of them has it working is likely that almost all of them have it working.

Edit:
Wait a minute I thought of something. The theory could work if we reverse it. Like you said, it is possible to think the
gene is working only in a few of them if we think the normal thing is to have the first gene of the theory not working, then it will be very rare to have it working. It would be like winning a game where you have 99.9% chance of losing. This could
explain why the gene would "last" one the generation, 'cause it would be needed two people with it activated for it to be working in the next generation. This would be like winning that game over a thousand times in a row.

Since Shiki stopped the inbreeding it is possible to archiki have it (since other people shoud have a gene for the eyes that does not relate itself to MEoDP genes at all), but it would be needed to know the MEoDP genes behavior when presented to other eyes genes...

Anyway, if neither my first theory nor this one answers everything, I have already thought of a third one
Chaos Chaud
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Tessara » April 14th, 2009, 10:09 pm

Ok, running with the ideas so far, let's say that MEoDP are partially genetic and partially otherwise. The reason the Nanaya clan was such a threat to the supernatural aspects in the world is because of their psychic powers or however its translated. I have to assume that psychic powers, or at least the possibility of having them, is a genetically linked trait due to how they are treated as extremely rare and the fact that the Nanayas made them pretty standard in their bloodline through inbreeding. It's common practice in dog and livestock breeders that you can accentuate characteristics in a bloodline through careful inbreeding practices and the same theory would work with human subjects.

Obviously not every Nanaya had MEoDP or the Tohno clan wouldn't have stood a chance during their attack on the family. The psychic powers posessed by the Nanayas seem to differ from member to member in strength and possibly the method of manifestation. Perhaps MEoDP are among the rarest of possible psychic powers, more linked to chance and magic and personal belief than genetics.

So in order for someone to have Shiki's eyes, they'd have to meet several requirements. First, the person has to have psychic potential, which is in itself very rare in the general population. Then, among those with potential, they have to specifically have the potential for MEoDP, which is very rare even amongst that population. Then, finally, that person has to experience a near-death or full-death experience for the latent ability to manifest, and those sort of experiences are pretty uncommon, even moreso if the full-death experience is required. Surely that's enough rare variables that the Eyes aren't going to show up more than once or twice in recorded history.

Edit: Heh, I think Chaos Chaud edited his entry to say part of the same thing I'm saying while I was writing this. I need to type faster :D
Tessara
Addict

Unread postby Chaos Chaud » April 14th, 2009, 10:23 pm

@Tessara

And I was thinking how someone could type so fast that just after I edited my post someone could be partially saying the same thing. I guess my post before editing was mind contoling anyone that read it to think of the same thing, wasn't it? :lol:
Chaos Chaud
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » April 15th, 2009, 12:42 am

Chaos Chaud wrote:Maybe this is getting a little off-topic, but since it is for the sake of archiki's eyes (Oh I named their kid "archiki" since I have a lack of imagination 8) )

It is true that we are talking more about the MEoDP, but we are also considering Shiki's and Arc's child. Thus, it ain't off-topic! (how convenient :) ).

Chaos Chaud wrote:Isn't it to preserve the ratio of such unusual genes or powers that those clans (Nanaya, Tohno, or whatever) keep inbreeding?

As far as I know, yes (though I'm not sure about the Tohnos). That's why the chances for passing Shiki's and Arc's genes just as they are would be less and less as future generations appear.

Chaos Chaud wrote:But T.Shiki didn't live a near death experience, he lived a death experience. And we can say, that for someone to live through a death experience is rare, very rare even with modern medicine...

I disagree. If it was a "death experience" and not a "near death experience", then Shiki would be dead. We could discuss semantics if you want, but it isn't the purpose for this thread, and I will most likely still disagree with you in that point.
I do agree that modern medicine still has very few cases where someone almost died but survives, but I'm convinced it's much numerous than compared to, say, a hundred years; not to mention the Dark Ages.
Up to this point, I see no change in your theory.

Chaos Chaud wrote:Well, if you still find flaws after this, I'm already thinking of another theory. Though, I don't know if I'll find a better one...

I wouldn't say it's exactly flawed, just incomplete.

Kikuchi wrote:So the reason we don't have thousands on poeple with MEoDP is because the gene becomes inactive for multiple generations [...] So it could be true that multiple people have this dorment gene but unless the gene is active in their generation [...]

If my biology serves me right, that "inactive" gene would be called a recessive gene. It does happen in actual life.
Note: Please, do correct me if I'm wrong in this point. I'm quite rusty in biology.

Chaos Chaud wrote:Wait a minute I thought of something. The theory could work if we reverse it. Like you said, it is possible to think the
gene is working only in a few of them if we think the normal thing is to have the first gene of the theory not working, then it will be very rare to have it working. It would be like winning a game where you have 99.9% chance of losing. This could
explain why the gene would "last" one the generation, 'cause it would be needed two people with it activated for it to be working in the next generation. This would be like winning that game over a thousand times in a row.
.............. Ok, I may be dumb, but I don't get it :?

Chaos Chaud wrote:Since Shiki stopped the inbreeding it is possible to archiki have it (since other people shoud have a gene for the eyes that does not relate itself to MEoDP genes at all), but it would be needed to know the MEoDP genes behavior when presented to other eyes genes...
I'm tempted to write a little something on this part to say you are wrong, but I won't. I don't get this theory.

Tessara wrote:Perhaps MEoDP are among the rarest of possible psychic powers, more linked to chance and magic and personal belief than genetics.

I wouldn't apply personal belief, but magic seems as a possible variable to me. I agree with you that, considering both magic and chance, it's highly unlikely for someone to have the "magical MEoDP gene", or wahtever it's gonna be called. That's why I still say that their (Arc's and Shiki's) kid isn't gonna get special treatment.

P.S: This thread is kinda fun! There's been a long time since I found one like this!
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby Arcueid Brunestud » April 15th, 2009, 1:16 am

yeah tohno and arcueid's kid would be special.
Arcueid Brunestud
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby solopy567 » April 15th, 2009, 1:41 am

New kid Arcueid, your avatar is GIGANTIC! Make it smaller dude, it cant be more than 100x100
solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » April 15th, 2009, 2:03 am

Arcueid Brunestud wrote:yeah tohno and arcueid's kid would be special.

I disagree.

solopy567 wrote:New kid Arcueid, your avatar is GIGANTIC! Make it smaller dude, it cant be more than 100x100

Rule wrote:Avatars are limited to 100x100px, and not a pixel more. Avatars should be non-intrusive. Animated avatars are NOT allowed. Do not use someone else's established avatar, this only leads to confusion.

He is right. Fix it before you get in trouble.
abscess

Unread postby Chaos Chaud » April 15th, 2009, 3:29 am

@abscess
Actually, when you find something wrong in my theory, please do not feel tempted to write it, go ahead and write it. I can improve my theories that way. :D

About the death, near death thing, if i didn't misunderstand anything
Shiki did died in that "accident" but somehow lived through(reasons change a little from route to route, but basically Akiha gave him her life energy)

if I misuderstood this I'll get very angry, because I replayed all the game last week, i'll be like "What the hell was I wasting my time at :x ??" :lol:

About the recessive gene, it does exist but it is not a gene that deactivates itself because its was not used after multiple generations. (Biology , more specifically neural functions and genetics, is my strong point . I'm doing engineering at college, by the way... :D )

About the first theory;
I agree with you that as generations passes it will have less and less chances for arc and shiki descendants to have the MEoDP gene. However, I still think that archiki, the first generation, is likely to have the gene...

Well, I already told my point of the death/near-death thing, like you said discussion about is just a discussion of non-fact opinions and it is useless... So I kill this discussion here *stabs the point of this discussion* :lol:

About the second theory:

Uh I edited my post in a hurry, so it may be a bit confused... Sorry about that :(

The second theory adds another pair of genes to the story.

Now we have:

-MEoDP gene: a gene that just needs to be present. However in orer to have it functioning two conditions must be met.

-MEoDP conditional gene: a pair of genes that needs to appear as recessive only in order to have a activated MEoDP (this and the already known trigger). If it is not in recessive activity, even the trigger cannot activate MEoDP. This one was made to explain why a large number of nanayas doesn't have MEoDP. We were saying that if the normal thing in the nanaya clan is to have it in non-recessive activity(presence of 1 or 2 dominat genes), as nanaya is a inbreeding clan the low variability of genes would make a recessive case(would be shiki's case, isn't he a lucky guy? :D ) VERY, VERY, VERY RARE. That would explain why normally a MEoDP user woudn't have a kid that could use MEoDP, even inside the nanaya clan, more than that specially inside the nanaya clan. It would be needed two very, very lucky people of different gender for their kid to have MEoDP, inside a inbreeding clan. Still this theory, makes even easier to archiki to have MEoDP. Since arc don't have MEoDP gene, she does not have MEoDP conditional gene either. That way, the kid has 100% chance of receiving the MEoDP gene and conditional gene (since Shiki IS a MEoDP user) and it will be recessive-active because they are the only MEoDP-related gene the kid has in its code.

Now I think i said it right :D ( Really, sorry about the confusing edit in the other post)

Anyway, I already have my Last Resort Theory prepared, but, since it is kind of dumb, I want it just to be prepared and never used. :lol:
Chaos Chaud
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » April 15th, 2009, 6:17 am

Chaos Chaud wrote:@abscess
Actually, when you find something wrong in my theory, please do not feel tempted to write it, go ahead and write it. I can improve my theories that way.

Well, the issue is that, if I don't understand the theory, then how am I sure if it's something wrong and not just a thing I'm missinterpreting? I'm prone to such things, and they'v brought me somewhat of a problem with teachers at times so.... I think I'll pass! heheheh! :D

Chaos Chaud wrote:
Shiki did die in that "accident" but somehow lived through(reasons change a little from route to route, but basically Akiha gave him her life energy)
Fix'd and quoted. Well, debating semantics could be considered off-topic, so I suggest we don't follow this topic any further; at least not in this thread. Said that, I'll say this:
It's not exactly wrong what you are saying, but not exactly right either. From what I understand and remember, he was close to death but, as you said, Akiha gave him part of her life-force (and the unnamed doctors stopped the bleeding and whatnot), that's why he was able to keep on living. If he had indeed die, well, he would be dead and Tsukihime, along with this topic, would lose any meaning.

Chaos Chaud wrote:if I misuderstood this I'll get very angry, because I replayed all the game last week, i'll be like "What the hell was I wasting my time at :x ??" :lol:

Ahahaha!! Well, I already said what I think is right, let's leave it to the other forumites to say who is right and wrong. That way we may be left out of the equation when the banhammer appears! :)

Chaos Chaud wrote:About the recessive gene, it does exist but it is not a gene that deactivates itself because its was not used after multiple generations. (Biology , more specifically neural functions and genetics, is my strong point . I'm doing engineering at college, by the way... )

Ah! It's good to know you have first-hand knowledge. Sadly physics doesn't apply to the nasu-verse well enough...
So, a gene that pops out of nowhere and then vanishes, not just deactivates, does it have a specific name or I'm just making shit up?

Chaos Chaud wrote:I agree with you that as generations passes it will have less and less chances for arc and shiki descendants to have the MEoDP gene. However, I still think that archiki, the first generation, is likely to have the gene...

Well, I may sound like a pseudo-scientist idiot, but that is if it's an actual gene as we know them. Since we are dealing with "psychics", "magic-circuits" and "non-human" characters, I'm biased to think it's otherwise. If I'm right, and it's that sort of genes that just pop-up and then disappears leaving no trace behind (as I think the supposed MEoDP gene is*), their child doesn't have any more chance to have them than any other person living in that world.

Chaos Chaud wrote:
Now we have:

-MEoDP gene: a gene that just needs to be present. However in orer to have it functioning two conditions must be met.

-MEoDP conditional gene: a pair of genes that needs to appear as recessive only in order to have a activated MEoDP (this and the already known trigger). If it is not in recessive activity, even the trigger cannot activate MEoDP. This one was made to explain why a large number of nanayas doesn't have MEoDP. We were saying that if the normal thing in the nanaya clan is to have it in non-recessive activity(presence of 1 or 2 dominat genes), as nanaya is a inbreeding clan the low variability of genes would make a recessive case(would be shiki's case, isn't he a lucky guy? ) VERY, VERY, VERY RARE. That would explain why normally a MEoDP user woudn't have a kid that could use MEoDP, even inside the nanaya clan, more than that specially inside the nanaya clan. It would be needed two very, very lucky people of different gender for their kid to have MEoDP, inside a inbreeding clan. Still this theory, makes even easier to archiki to have MEoDP. Since arc don't have MEoDP gene, she does not have MEoDP conditional gene either. That way, the kid has 100% chance of receiving the MEoDP gene and conditional gene (since Shiki IS a MEoDP user) and it will be recessive-active because they are the only MEoDP-related gene the kid has in its code.

Your theory is quite interesting. I don't find much of a problem with it, but that would mainly be because I don't know much about biology, let alone genetics! hahaha! I'll try to nerd up a bit in the topic and see if I understand it properly.

Chaos Chaud wrote:Anyway, I already have my Last Resort Theory prepared, but, since it is kind of dumb, I want it just to be prepared and never used.

Hmm! This makes me think you doubt your own theory! Perhaps it is still incomplete. I'll try to see if I can find the possible problem, wish me luck!

* I apply the same theory to that of the people who carry a Reality Marble (like that certain character from FSN) without any hint of their close relatives having one.
abscess

Unread postby Chaos Chaud » April 15th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Oh, I this is a wonderful thread. I'm already regretting tha I won't appear again today, since I have a test tomorrow... :cry:

@ abcess

Ah! It's good to know you have first-hand knowledge. Sadly physics doesn't apply to the nasu-verse well enough...
So, a gene that pops out of nowhere and then vanishes, not just deactivates, does it have a specific name or I'm just making shit up?

Well, I may sound like a pseudo-scientist idiot, but that is if it's an actual gene as we know them. Since we are dealing with "psychics", "magic-circuits" and "non-human" characters, I'm biased to think it's otherwise. If I'm right, and it's that sort of genes that just pop-up and then disappears leaving no trace behind (as I think the supposed MEoDP gene is*), their child doesn't have any more chance to have them than any other person living in that world.

It's because the we don't know exactly where physics can be used in the nasu-verse that we can still try to use it, isn't it? :lol: I mean we're discussing the possibilty for someone to inherit freaking eyes that see death!! :lol:
About your under some special circunstances a gene can disappear. But ,if this happens, it will never appear again anywhere in the lineage.

Hmm! This makes me think you doubt your own theory! Perhaps it is still incomplete. I'll try to see if I can find the possible problem, wish me luck!

It's not that I doubt my own thory, it's just that this last resort is only funny, not a theory at all :lol:
I can turn it in a theory but that would be adding an outside factor that still isn't totally understandable, even for the most freaking genetic specialists in the world. So if I used it, we would have to just accept, it would kill this wonderful discussion. It would be no fun at all, and archiki still would have MEoDP and all his descendants too. We would have an army of world-killing people to deal with. That's why I want it to stay as just a funny thing, because even I, the one proposing it, would just have to accept it as truth. Where's the fun in something like that?

P.S.: But I can say it after our theory is ultimately finished. That would be fun :lol:
Chaos Chaud
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Windar » April 15th, 2009, 10:12 pm

The thread is flourishing, not the same topic but a brainstorm upon opinions of the genetics of the game characters. Opinions are such great things.

If there was a way for you guys to talk to the creator of the remake I bet you guys could put so much more information into the game.

:D
Windar
Totally hardly posted

PreviousNext

Return to Tsukihime Chat