Corrupt Tsukihime file?

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Corrupt Tsukihime file?

Unread postby Jenia » July 20th, 2006, 9:42 am

I think my CD's scratched...
No matter how many times I reinstall the thing, at certain points in Tsukihime it says something about an unrecognised effect or something.
Could someone give me the kb measurments for the effect file so I'll know if it's somehow torn or corrupt(or better yet, give me the file itself)?
Jenia
Might just like this board

Unread postby The_One » July 22nd, 2006, 7:56 am

If you have the physical disc, then you're in luck. Make an ISO and burn it onto a new disc (Or burn it directly if it's possible). I find the program "Ultra ISO" to work best, it was able to create ISO's of discs that were normally "corrupt/broken". Give it a try and see what you come up with.
"If you understand the human mind not, all your understanding are for naught."
The_One

Unread postby Message » July 22nd, 2006, 8:12 am

Jenia, what 'effect file' are you speaking of? Without a filename we can't really give filesize information.

Unread postby Jenia » July 22nd, 2006, 8:37 pm

The_One wrote:If you have the physical disc, then you're in luck. Make an ISO and burn it onto a new disc (Or burn it directly if it's possible). I find the program "Ultra ISO" to work best, it was able to create ISO's of discs that were normally "corrupt/broken". Give it a try and see what you come up with.

Did that.
"Unrecoverable error" or some other gibberish, it says.

Message wrote:Jenia, what 'effect file' are you speaking of? Without a filename we can't really give filesize information.

I don't remember the program error thing telling me which file was it...
But, isn't only one file responsible for the effects?
Besides, there are only 8 files in total! Is it really that big of a problem to give filesize information for all 8?
Jenia

Unread postby Message » July 23rd, 2006, 7:00 am

Jenia wrote:But, isn't only one file responsible for the effects?

Well, for starters I have NO clue what you mean with 'effects'. Tsukihime doesn't have sound effects, and as far as I recall it doesn't use NScripter's supported visual effects either.

Jenia wrote:Besides, there are only 8 files in total! Is it really that big of a problem to give filesize information for all 8?

See? That's exactly the problem: I don't have 8 files. I have 5 in the root dir, 3 in the resource dir and 5 in the tsukihime dir. Thus we are probably talking about different versions, or you're even talking about TsukiBako instead. My filesizes wouldn't help you at all.

But to get back to your original question - I assumed you were talking about the installation process failing. If the error occurs while playing the game, it shouldn't have anything to do with the state of your CD. When copying files, windows does a CRC check on all data. Thus a damaged CD won't even let you copy/install it in the first place.

But the fact that you can't ISO the disc would indicate that there IS something wrong... Perhaps you didn't do a full install? Try copying arc.sar from the disc to your install directory, see if that works.

Unread postby Jenia » July 23rd, 2006, 7:38 am

Jenia wrote:Besides, there are only 8 files in total! Is it really that big of a problem to give filesize information for all 8?

See? That's exactly the problem: I don't have 8 files. I have 5 in the root dir, 3 in the resource dir and 5 in the tsukihime dir. Thus we are probably talking about different versions, or you're even talking about TsukiBako instead. My filesizes wouldn't help you at all.

But to get back to your original question - I assumed you were talking about the installation process failing. If the error occurs while playing the game, it shouldn't have anything to do with the state of your CD. When copying files, windows does a CRC check on all data. Thus a damaged CD won't even let you copy/install it in the first place.

But the fact that you can't ISO the disc would indicate that there IS something wrong... Perhaps you didn't do a full install? Try copying arc.sar from the disc to your install directory, see if that works.[/quote]
Ehhh? I can't tell what version I'm holding on to...All I know is that it originaly had some other CD which I'v lost but was apperantly not needed.
Anyway, from what I understand, Arc.sar is responsible for the text in the game...
Anyway, as soon as I recover my OWN computer, I'll take a screenshot of the error message and post it here.
So far, it seems that only 1 route was blocked by this error, since I'v managed to get 2 endings without running into it.
Jenia

Return to Tsukihime Chat