So I asked around this forum for advice ( viewtopic.php?t=2874 ), knowing that Tsukihime was the first commercial VN Type Moon made. Seeing the positive responses from that thread, I decided to give Tsukihime a go.
I started playing the Arcuied route with an open mind. However, I admit I had early prejudices against this game before I even started.
What, this game does NOT have voice acting?? (yeah, I was spoiled by FSN)
Oh, the opening menu sucks (and is primitive)!
Graphics aren't that impressive......
No music unless we manually adjust the installation process!?
Most importantly, no girl can ever top Saber..
I must admit that they did not give me a good first impression.
However, with the intention of forgeting about Saber, I persisted and started playing the game. The end result is that I finished the first route (Arcruied) after 8 hours of continuous playing(lol, I stayed up all night as a result of that)
Here are some of my thoughts after completing Arcruied route:
1. Damn, what have I done?! I wanted to forget about Saber, but Arcuied is just like Saber!!!! She may seem to be light-hearted on the exterior, as opposed to Saber's seriousness, but the vibe/feeling I got from the 2 girls are exactly the same. Heck, they even almost looked the same. Both of them are kawaii-ichiban, self-sacraficing for the sake of others, loyal, considerate, have super-human power. Anyway, I feel that instead of forgetting Saber, it's like I am falling in love with her all over again + seeing her in the form of Arcuied
2. The storyline is also too familiar to Fate (FSN). A boy with uniquely blessed power (Shirou's projection vs Shiki's point/line cutting) while physically being a normal human being (almost). He (Shiki, Shirou) meet a super cute loyal blonde girl (Arcuied, Saber) and they team up to fight some common enemies (Roa, other servants). The boy both have over-protective nature despite being actually weaker than the girls they are protecting. The heroine gets injured in an initial fight with a badass mini-boss (Chaos, Berserker) and the boy rescued the girl with his life on the line. There are mentors (Ciel, Rin) from the future routes giving the boy advice throughout the story. Then the heroines (have their powers decreased at suboptimal level). Both fight uber-end bosses (Roa, Gilgarmesh) and deplete their magic power and disappeared.
3. However, Arcuied route gave me some relief comparing to Fate when
1. I just like Shirou a lot more than Shiki. Shiki has almost no ideals and is rude towards the girl he loves. Shirou, on the other hand, has ideals and is usually polite and courteous towards those close to him. Shirou is also more gentle on bed (lol) than Shiki who was rough and gave no foreplay before penetration....
2. A lot less fighting and action comparing to FSN
Well, the bottomline is that after playing the 1st route of Tsukihime, instead of getting over Saber, I am now in love with 2 girls (Saber and Arcuied) lol. Damn Type Moon >< At least they have the decency of not toying around with our emotion by creating an alternative Good Ending )