Tsukihime vs FSN

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby that one guy » February 8th, 2009, 7:50 pm

I thought about this for some reason last night, and I've come up with something else I like more in Fate. The plot dumps are not so concentrated. What I mean is, the flow of Tsukihime feels like: Opening, Plot Dump, Jargon, Plot Dump, Plot Dump, Jargon, Plot Dump, Sex Scene, Jargon, Plot Dump, Climax. Whereas Fate balanced it out a little better, though admittedly most of that was with filler text.
User avatar
that one guy
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 481
Joined: August 17th, 2008, 11:11 pm
Location: How should I know?

Unread postby Miraploy » February 8th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Tsukihime is far superior. :D
Miraploy
Crack Addic!
 
Posts: 173
Joined: April 19th, 2008, 5:35 am

Unread postby NonExistence » February 9th, 2009, 5:36 am

shiki + tohno gland. and pro nanaya skillz. and possible satsujinki-morphosis. arcueid + marble phantasm. and ultra innocence ftw. akiha + plunder. and tsundere imouto. ciel + ... "curry and ass." hisui + kohaku + twincest. and "sharing energy". and while not specifically tsukihime: len + loli. white len + more loli. sion + brainhacking. and then there're the nekos for pure lol goodness.

need i say more?

EDIT: yes i do. aoko + all sorts of delicious possibilities. you know you're thinking the exact same thing as me.
Whenever I go on, everyone leaves the Tsukihime forums. 'Cause I just fail like that.
User avatar
NonExistence
Crack Addic!
 
Posts: 239
Joined: August 17th, 2007, 5:12 pm
Location: The Strong and Free Giant Block of Ice in the True North

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » February 9th, 2009, 5:42 am

Well if the remake is done properly I might say something about it, but for the one that was done, I have to say it wasn't bad for thier first Visual Novel. In fact it turned out very well. Although that goes to show you if they didn't make Tsukihime then I'd doubt there would of be Fate either if you look at it that way.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
User avatar
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 8:08 pm
Location: Inside the Depletion Garden

Unread postby Atriel » February 9th, 2009, 7:01 pm

NonExistence wrote:EDIT: yes i do. aoko + all sorts of delicious possibilities. you know you're thinking the exact same thing as me.


I know what you mean. I would so love to learn sorcery from her, but i don't think that will happen :(
If you disagree, you are wrong.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: October 21st, 2007, 3:49 am

Unread postby Mkilbride » February 9th, 2009, 7:18 pm

I always wanted a Route with Aoko. I know that'd be basically Rape(Aoko on Shiki, that is :P), but still, I'd like it. She was always so beautiful and not to have a Route made me abit disappointed.(Thought, entirely understandable in the context of the story)
User avatar
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 686
Joined: May 20th, 2007, 7:56 pm

Unread postby miszou » February 10th, 2009, 10:29 am

allanh wrote:one thing that I would like to confirm is (pretty sure of the answer already though) is that "Tsukihime" does not have voice acting , right? (afaik, there is no PS2 version of Tsukihime?) :(

If that is the case, it is going to be a slight turnoff for me since in anime/VN, voice-acting is major bonus.


I believed TYPE moon didn't want to use voice acting in their games, I'm not sure why they put it in RN tho. Personally, I hate voice acting in a VN, it takes away the reading pace and leaves less interpretation for the characters.
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
User avatar
miszou
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 319
Joined: February 14th, 2007, 5:38 am
Location: The Netherlands

Unread postby Ciel » February 10th, 2009, 1:35 pm

miszou wrote:Personally, I hate voice acting in a VN, it takes away the reading pace and leaves less interpretation for the characters.

and that's why there are the voice controls available in most games with voice acting. don't like them? disable them and let the others enjoy what they like. :o
User avatar
Ciel
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 454
Joined: March 11th, 2004, 6:44 am

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » February 10th, 2009, 3:39 pm

miszou wrote:
allanh wrote:one thing that I would like to confirm is (pretty sure of the answer already though) is that "Tsukihime" does not have voice acting , right? (afaik, there is no PS2 version of Tsukihime?) :(

If that is the case, it is going to be a slight turnoff for me since in anime/VN, voice-acting is major bonus.


I believed Type-Moon didn't want to use voice acting in their games, I'm not sure why they put it in RN tho. Personally, I hate voice acting in a VN, it takes away the reading pace and leaves less interpretation for the characters.


Well I think this has to do with when a Visual Novel is on the PS2 or any other console in Japan they have to have VAs. At the very lest I tink it kind of gives a perk over the fact that the H-scense were replaced.

As for the PC version that is when the group making the game requsts to have VAs involved . I'm only saying this since recient Visual Novels do have VAs in them, at least the ones that end up inn the US now do.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
User avatar
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 8:08 pm
Location: Inside the Depletion Garden

Unread postby Mkilbride » February 10th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Kid-Wolf wrote:
miszou wrote:
allanh wrote:one thing that I would like to confirm is (pretty sure of the answer already though) is that "Tsukihime" does not have voice acting , right? (afaik, there is no PS2 version of Tsukihime?) :(

If that is the case, it is going to be a slight turnoff for me since in anime/VN, voice-acting is major bonus.


I believed Type-Moon didn't want to use voice acting in their games, I'm not sure why they put it in RN tho. Personally, I hate voice acting in a VN, it takes away the reading pace and leaves less interpretation for the characters.


Well I think this has to do with when a Visual Novel is on the PS2 or any other console in Japan they have to have VAs. At the very lest I tink it kind of gives a perk over the fact that the H-scense were replaced.

As for the PC version that is when the group making the game requsts to have VAs involved . I'm only saying this since recient Visual Novels do have VAs in them, at least the ones that end up inn the US now do.


Yeah, but those are ones mostly filled with lots and lots of Hentai and not much else.

Like someone else said, no voices leaves more room to imagine a character. It's one of the reasons I LOVE reading so much it allows me to visualize how a character sounds during a scene and looks.
User avatar
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 686
Joined: May 20th, 2007, 7:56 pm

Unread postby that one guy » February 10th, 2009, 8:48 pm

Mkilbride wrote:
Kid-Wolf wrote:
miszou wrote:[quote="allanh"]one thing that I would like to confirm is (pretty sure of the answer already though) is that "Tsukihime" does not have voice acting , right? (afaik, there is no PS2 version of Tsukihime?) :(

If that is the case, it is going to be a slight turnoff for me since in anime/VN, voice-acting is major bonus.


I believed Type-Moon didn't want to use voice acting in their games, I'm not sure why they put it in RN tho. Personally, I hate voice acting in a VN, it takes away the reading pace and leaves less interpretation for the characters.


Well I think this has to do with when a Visual Novel is on the PS2 or any other console in Japan they have to have VAs. At the very lest I tink it kind of gives a perk over the fact that the H-scense were replaced.

As for the PC version that is when the group making the game requsts to have VAs involved . I'm only saying this since recient Visual Novels do have VAs in them, at least the ones that end up inn the US now do.


Yeah, but those are ones mostly filled with lots and lots of Hentai and not much else.

Like someone else said, no voices leaves more room to imagine a character. It's one of the reasons I LOVE reading so much it allows me to visualize how a character sounds during a scene and looks.[/quote]

I'm with Mkilbride on this. Adding the voice patch killed some great stuff before I decided to mute the voices. Seriously, the final scene at the Einzbern Castle in UBW was ruined because of Archers VA, IMO.
User avatar
that one guy
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 481
Joined: August 17th, 2008, 11:11 pm
Location: How should I know?

Unread postby miszou » February 11th, 2009, 11:23 am

Ciel wrote:and that's why there are the voice controls available in most games with voice acting. don't like them? disable them and let the others enjoy what they like. :o


I never said they couldn't ;) I just said I don't like them, not implying they should be banned or anything. So yeah, I would turn off the voices if possible.


Ciel wrote:Well I think this has to do with when a Visual Novel is on the PS2 or any other console in Japan they have to have VAs. At the very lest I tink it kind of gives a perk over the fact that the H-scense were replaced


Could be. And I know VA is getting more popular in VN's, but I think that is a bad development imo, VA's are slowly turning into anime that way, taking away the perks that reading gives you. I'm just afraid that the next step is removing the text at all -_-;;
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
User avatar
miszou
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 319
Joined: February 14th, 2007, 5:38 am
Location: The Netherlands

Unread postby Mkilbride » February 11th, 2009, 4:59 pm

miszou wrote:
Ciel wrote:and that's why there are the voice controls available in most games with voice acting. don't like them? disable them and let the others enjoy what they like. :o


I never said they couldn't ;) I just said I don't like them, not implying they should be banned or anything. So yeah, I would turn off the voices if possible.


Ciel wrote:Well I think this has to do with when a Visual Novel is on the PS2 or any other console in Japan they have to have VAs. At the very lest I tink it kind of gives a perk over the fact that the H-scense were replaced


Could be. And I know VA is getting more popular in VN's, but I think that is a bad development imo, VA's are slowly turning into anime that way, taking away the perks that reading gives you. I'm just afraid that the next step is removing the text at all -_-;;


That's true. Alot of VN's are replacing action scenes with semi-animated scenes or even 3D scenes. It's really removing the aspect that makes them a "Novel", pictures are fine and so are little effects, but I want it to be mainly be about the reading.
User avatar
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 686
Joined: May 20th, 2007, 7:56 pm

Unread postby Echoman » February 15th, 2009, 2:37 pm

I liked Tsukihime more, though it does seem shorter to me. (Has more routes, and I have not gone through them all yet, but each individual route is shorter, I mean.) Played FSN first. At first I was put off by the lack of voice acting in Tsuki (used the voice patch for FSN) and just that it seemed overall less polished (natural, considering the circumstances around its development were very different), but I like the characters and story much better. Also, Shirou made me cringe a lot of the time with his little "eww girls have cooties" moments, among other things.

Also, I liked Saber, but still, I have to say Arcueid is far superior.
User avatar
Echoman
Totally hardly posted
 
Posts: 16
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 10:05 am

Unread postby kaerstan01 » February 22nd, 2009, 8:12 am

fsn was the first one that i played of the two and i learned about tsuki through it. however, fsn was too kiddy (shounen) for my taste, it was like watching an anime w/ a good story line. while on the other hand, Tsuki was more of a seinen genre w/c i preffer more. it really gave me the "Novel" feel that i always get from reading some mystery/suspense books, and it doesn't have "LOL POWERLEVELZ LOL" :lol: :lol: :lol:

shouldnt this be moved at the general type-moon chat? :o

(100th post!!!!! OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: )
OMGz teh geek!!! GAL will yah? ;p
User avatar
kaerstan01
Addict
 
Posts: 106
Joined: August 13th, 2008, 4:10 pm
Location: Philippines

Unread postby -Shiki- » February 22nd, 2009, 12:14 pm

kaerstan01 wrote:fsn was the first one that i played of the two and i learned about tsuki through it. however, fsn was too kiddy (shounen) for my taste, it was like watching an anime w/ a good story line. while on the other hand, Tsuki was more of a seinen genre w/c i preffer more. it really gave me the "Novel" feel that i always get from reading some mystery/suspense books, and it doesn't have "LOL POWERLEVELZ LOL" :lol: :lol: :lol:

shouldnt this be moved at the general type-moon chat? :o

(100th post!!!!! OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: )



thats because shiki goes with skill while shirou HAX..LOL
both are good in their own way i guess..but seriously, shirou seems so.....noob when fighting against shiki in T-M complex..super buff shiki is nice~~
-Shiki-
Addict
 
Posts: 110
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 6:19 pm

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » February 22nd, 2009, 6:45 pm

kaerstan01 wrote:fsn was the first one that i played of the two and i learned about tsuki through it. however, fsn was too kiddy (shounen) for my taste, it was like watching an anime w/ a good story line. while on the other hand, Tsuki was more of a seinen genre w/c i preffer more. it really gave me the "Novel" feel that i always get from reading some mystery/suspense books, and it doesn't have "LOL POWERLEVELZ LOL"



Although it seems that Fate had more of a very long backstory and gave it more of a background for why the powerlevels were needed though. Although I kind of find Fate not being considered kiddy due to the ero ero scenes, unless you're excluding those from the story of course. As for Tsukihime it proved the point that even if you are killed you don't die, unless Tohno Shiki managed to use his eyes for a few times of course.

shouldnt this be moved at the general type-moon chat?


Also, I asked that same thing, but got yelled at for asking that same question, so go figgure.
Last edited by Kid-Wolf on February 26th, 2009, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
User avatar
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 8:08 pm
Location: Inside the Depletion Garden

Unread postby TheRedArcher » February 26th, 2009, 1:15 am

I like both games. But with FSN, I find the characters more interesting since the characters come from all over the world. In Tsukihime, the characters seem confined to only vampires and demons and humans. I'm not saying that Tsukihime does not have interesting characters, but saying that I prefer the characters from FSN. I agree with kaerstan01 in that FSN has a shounen taste and Tsukihime has a Seinen taste. FSN has a lot of flashy fights, costumes and characters. But the problem is that the characters' personalities are all based on their history and no one goes through any character development, except for the main characters. In Tsukihime, there is a limited amount of characters so the character's interactions with each other are far more important than in FSN. FSN also has a lot of character interactions and is indeed important, but FSN can always fall back on the flashy fights, costumes and characters; just like general Shounen manga and anime. Because of how flashy the fights are, I prefer FSN over Tsukihime.

I don't really care if there is voice acting or not, but I don't think that really matters. Just like what other people said before me, you can always turn off the voices if you really don't like it.

As for Shirou and Shiki, I like Shirou better. It is because I like the character development that Shirou experiences through the game. Shiki is kinda the same person as he was before; although, it could be because I only played through the Arcueid arc. I also feel that Shirou has much more character than Shiki because Shiki sometimes seems a little indifferent because of his lax attitude. Both are pretty cool in combat, but I would still prefer Shirou because I like how he goes through immediate pain when he is using his magic, rather than long term effects like the ones Shiki experiences. Well, to each his own.
User avatar
TheRedArcher
Addict
 
Posts: 112
Joined: November 1st, 2008, 12:12 am
Location: Earth's core

Unread postby Watashimo » February 26th, 2009, 1:59 am

Am I the only person here who hates reading books but loves reading visual novels? ^^;

I prefer FSN over Tsukihime. FSN had a much more interesting story imo. Tsukihime was such a dark story with little to no comedy (in fact, I can't remember laughing once) and such demented characters that I couldn't really get into it, not to mention the fights were short and lacking. The far-side of the moon was quite boring with Shiki lying in bed for a great majority of the routes. With FSN, the fights were amazing, the story was deep and there was comedy to lighten the mood every now and again. I'll agree that it was "kiddy" as you guys would say, but it kept me awake the entire time, whereas Tsukhime had some long downtimes that could put you to sleep if you're tired. Please don't flame for that. I still enjoyed Tsukihime, but I haven't finished Arc's or Kohaku's routes, mainly because I really dislike Arcueid and I'm afraid of falling asleep through Kohaku's, as is the nature in Far-Side routes.
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
User avatar
Watashimo
Crack Desu!
 
Posts: 339
Joined: September 13th, 2008, 2:06 am
Location: Clock Tower

Unread postby Mkilbride » February 26th, 2009, 2:00 am

TheRedArcher wrote:I like both games. But with FSN, I find the characters more interesting since the characters come from all over the world. In Tsukihime, the characters seem confined to only vampires and demons and humans. I'm not saying that Tsukihime does not have interesting characters, but saying that I prefer the characters from FSN. I agree with kaerstan01 in that FSN has a shounen taste and Tsukihime has a Seinen taste. FSN has a lot of flashy fights, costumes and characters. But the problem is that the characters' personalities are all based on their history and no one goes through any character development, except for the main characters. In Tsukihime, there is a limited amount of characters so the character's interactions with each other are far more important than in FSN. FSN also has a lot of character interactions and is indeed important, but FSN can always fall back on the flashy fights, costumes and characters; just like general Shounen manga and anime. Because of how flashy the fights are, I prefer FSN over Tsukihime.

I don't really care if there is voice acting or not, but I don't think that really matters. Just like what other people said before me, you can always turn off the voices if you really don't like it.

As for Shirou and Shiki, I like Shirou better. It is because I like the character development that Shirou experiences through the game. Shiki is kinda the same person as he was before; although, it could be because I only played through the Arcueid arc. I also feel that Shirou has much more character than Shiki because Shiki sometimes seems a little indifferent because of his lax attitude. Both are pretty cool in combat, but I would still prefer Shirou because I like how he goes through immediate pain when he is using his magic, rather than long term effects like the ones Shiki experiences. Well, to each his own.


Uh, to much is wrong with yer post, but I'll basically say this.

Shiki feels pain when and after using his eyes. Infact, his headaches are so grand, they can make him go comatose. Also, as it is alluded to in the story, he will die in just a few short years due to the damage using his ability causes. Archer clearly shows Shirou lives to quite an age. :P
User avatar
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!
 
Posts: 686
Joined: May 20th, 2007, 7:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Tsukihime Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron