Tsukihime vs FSN

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Tsukihime vs FSN

Unread postby allanh » February 7th, 2009, 6:17 am

I have recently completed my first VN game - FSN. It got me quite addicted with its story line.

I have heard a bit about its predecessor- Tsukiheme

Do you think it's better/worse/same comparing to Fate/Stay Night?
I really don't want to play another VN if it's inferior to FSN. Is Tsukiheme a shorter or longer game? Is the story similar to FSN?

thanks in advance.
http://Miyazaki.com - my Hayao Miyazaki fan site
http://CityHunter.com- my City Hunter fan site
Saber-chan, come back to me~~~~~
allanh
Crack Addic!

Unread postby that one guy » February 7th, 2009, 6:27 am

I think Fate is better than Tsukihime. I am in the minority on this. Though, everyone will agree that Fate has better visuals, and most agree on sound, many people prefer Tsukihimes story. They're two very different stories, and Tsukihime is a fair amount shorter than Fate, especially if you use the skip previously read scenes button for the Near Side routes and pre-route stuff.
that one guy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » February 7th, 2009, 6:43 am

I think this should of been place in the General Type-Moon Discusion part of the boards unless this actually does beak the new rule that's currently on the boards as of late.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Message » February 7th, 2009, 7:37 am

Indeed a lot of people think Tsukihime is better than Fate/say night, perhaps because they played Tsukihime first but that's guesswork. I like Tsukihime more as well, the F/sn story just doesn't interest me as much. Also I find the F/sn story is a bit annoying sometimes, probably because of the characters.

Tsukihime is approximately 3.5MB of text, while F/sn is roughly 8MB. Tsukihime on the other hand re-uses script files more often than F/sn does. I would estimate F/sn to be twice as long as Tsukihime. There are only very few visual novels that get even close to the playing length of Fate/stay night.

Unread postby Mazyrian » February 7th, 2009, 1:57 pm

There are also more routes in Tsukihime, so each route is even shorter.
I also like more Tsukihime; it has less action, though is up to you to decide if that is good or bad.
I haven't found many VN as good as any of these two; maybe you should try to lower a bit your standards.
"I am the spider that set this web.
-Welcome to this wonderful killing chamber."
Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread postby CrimsonMoonMist » February 7th, 2009, 2:22 pm

i like Tsukihime better cause it feels less childish (dunno why i think fsn is childish)
Spread the news, Ryougi Shiki for
Melty-Blood: Actress Again
CrimsonMoonMist
Might just like this board

Unread postby Shourai » February 7th, 2009, 2:26 pm

CrimsonMoonMist wrote:i like Tsukihime better cause it feels less childish (dunno why i think fsn is childish)
While I'd like to deny your words, I see that they hold a certain amount of truth... :roll:
Shourai
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » February 7th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Well in any case I honestly chose over the two since Tsukihime was basically their very first Visual Novel while Fate/stay night was the novel that made them even more well known if you ask me.

Also, to top it off the Fate/stay night anime does help by making that side of the Type-Moon series look a bit more interesting. I would say the same for Tsukihime, but sadly that anime doesn't exist. Although the up side it was the frist side that actually got a somewhat serious fighting game until Fate got into it as well.

Also, they both have the loop sequel. Although Kagetsu Tohya is a one day loop that progesses, but you need the guide to actually see all of the cut scenes. As for Fate/Hollow Ataraxia it's a four day loop and there is no way you can miss anything at all, unless you can't understand Japanese for the Tiger Quiz.

So with this it would seem Fate looks better, but it was done with a completely different engine. I mean for me this is like compairing apples to oranges.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Atriel » February 7th, 2009, 5:26 pm

I played FSN, first. Then i saw Tsukihime on the projects list. Eventually i got to it.

I think it's better (Tsukihime). As said, it feels less childish or so to say. It also has extra points becase i liked most of the characters (except Ciel, she was kinda boring for me :P), contrary to FSN where i either hated or felt indefference to some. (Gil, Sakura, Shinji, Zouken, Hassan...)

And i love Arcueid D:

The story is by no means similar to FSN.
If you disagree, you are wrong.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Mkilbride » February 7th, 2009, 5:33 pm

While Fate / Stay Night is more epic in some sense...

Tsukihime feels more dark, more raw, more unforgiving. Some of the bad ends aren't just "Aw damn, I got a bad end", it's like "No...NO! WHY!?" lol Especially the default ending for a few characters is very depressing.

To me, the ability he possesses is s till so unique to me.(Well, KyK has the same idea, but that was a Proto-type for Tsukihime)

You have to play Tsukihime.

Also, you don't want to play any VN's inferior to Fate / Stay Night? Buddy, you have to understand FSN is a rarity of quality in the VN world, they only come around once every few years that good, and sometimes not even!

Of course, there is a thread discussing loads of VN's that are quite good.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby allanh » February 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

hi, thanks for all the opinions so far, I appreciate them.

Just to answer some of the questions:
The reason why I do not want to play "worse" VN than FSN is not because of being snobbish or high expecations. It's just the nature of my lifestyle (work, study, family...etc) does not permit me to play a lot of games. I have to be extremely selective in what I play otherwise I will end up not getting any work done.

That said, because of your high regard of Tsukihime in this thread, I have decided to give it a go (partly also because I am also interested in "Kara no Kyoukai" 's novel and anime and I read on wiki that it is related to Tsukuhime).

More reviews on tsukihime vs fsn welcomed! :D
allanh
Crack Addic!

Unread postby sabata2 » February 7th, 2009, 11:02 pm

Tsukihime is apparently shorter.

It's the same Universe as F/SN, but the story is FAR from similar.

From the little bit I've played of Fate, Tsukihime is better.

Mkil said everything perfectly.
sabata2
Addict

Unread postby aldw » February 8th, 2009, 12:35 am

Mkilbride pretty much hit the nail on the head for me, the darker gothic quality of Tsukihime just appealed to me more, and the bad ends of Tsukihime I felt were better than F/SN, and with a better rationale to boot.
Last edited by aldw on April 7th, 2009, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
aldw
Might just like this board

Unread postby gunwarrior » February 8th, 2009, 5:24 am

I liked Tsukihime so much more than F/SN. The HF route in Fate actually started to feel like a chore about halfway in to me =/.
Though, it would be pretty hard to go to Tsuki now that you've seen the better quality of Fate. Eh, its a matter of preference, but I liked Tsukihime because it gave me the impression of being more..., for lack of a better word, mature. Whereas fate felt like it was just another Anime rather than a VN.
gunwarrior
Addict

Unread postby miszou » February 8th, 2009, 1:27 pm

I like tsukihime better because of the characters and the story. Shirou often make me want to hit him, and FSN sometimes feels like its repeating the same thing over and over again. FSN is longer, but this also leads to scenes which are longer then necessary, often annoying me. And I can hardly relate to shirou in anyway, so it makes for a lousy focal character for me :\

FSN is a better game in quality of visuals and suchs, but lacks gameplay like in tsukihime. For me Tsukihime's storyline is also more interesting because I like the theme better and the story as a whole.
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby inferno_flamex » February 8th, 2009, 1:34 pm

I donno about Tsukihime..

I for one played it (Tsukihime) without the BGMs... Coz i FAILED at those technical stuffs... So yeah...
I admit that Tsukihime, has the better vote for story... But then again..

In FSN... You have those epic scenes with those SWISH! CLANG! and stuffs... lol...
And also, those sound effects coupled by the 'animated visuals' drastically improves the storytelling...

So its like a bit of both actually...
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby allanh » February 8th, 2009, 1:41 pm

one thing that I would like to confirm is (pretty sure of the answer already though) is that "Tsukihime" does not have voice acting , right? (afaik, there is no PS2 version of Tsukihime?) :(

If that is the case, it is going to be a slight turnoff for me since in anime/VN, voice-acting is major bonus.
allanh
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Inverted » February 8th, 2009, 2:33 pm

Well tsukihime has no voice acting.Regardless it won't affect the enjoyment of Tsukihime at all.
I loved Tsukihime though Fate is not far of either. IMO
Inverted
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Message » February 8th, 2009, 2:33 pm

allanh wrote:one thing that I would like to confirm is (pretty sure of the answer already though) is that "Tsukihime" does not have voice acting , right? (afaik, there is no PS2 version of Tsukihime?) :(

Please see the Tsukihime FAQ, question three.

Unread postby Mkilbride » February 8th, 2009, 5:30 pm

Inverted wrote:Well tsukihime has no voice acting.Regardless it won't affect the enjoyment of Tsukihime at all.
I loved Tsukihime though Fate is not far of either. IMO

Seriously, some games are more enjoyable without voices. You get to put your own head to how they sound. What if a characters voice sucks? Can totally turn you off to said character in a game. Plus, this is a VISUAL NOVEL, not anime.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to Tsukihime Chat