Question

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Question

Unread postby zoop » August 17th, 2005, 6:12 am

First off, I know nothing when it comes to fan translations and their processes, but I've been curious to know how the insertion process works. Does it involve hand editing the game's resource files, or is there some sort of program or script that feeds the translated text into the game? The latter seems more likely, based on one of Chendo's comments in the 'Loooooong time no update' news post.

Anyhow, just something that has been gnawing at me. :)
zoop
Might just like this board

Unread postby Message » August 18th, 2005, 11:03 am

Putting the translated script back into the game's datafiles is usually done by creating a compiler/repacker, which is done by the group's programmers. For some games this is relatively simple, for others it can be a disaster (even more so for console games, where you often encounter a very tight maximum script size).

But compiling is often only half of the insertion process. Because Japanese games use dual-byte characters and don't worry about linebreaks at all...
Haeleth wrote:
Code: Select all
The designers of Japanese game engines take a rat
her relaxed line on text output.  They just arran
ge for characters to be printed one by one, and l
et the text wrap naturally whenever it runs out o
f space on a line.

...it can be very difficult to create a compiler that manages to word-wrap all sentences properly. Example: Bad, and good. See also this thread. Bear in mind that I only know what I've been told - I'm not a programmer and have no insertion experience whatsoever.

Unread postby GoodAndy » August 18th, 2005, 9:02 pm

I was wondering the same thing.

Would it be easier to have manual line breaks? Instead of taking a long time to figure out how to make it break automatically?
GoodAndy
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Soulfang » August 18th, 2005, 10:54 pm

GoodAndy wrote:I was wondering the same thing.

Would it be easier to have manual line breaks? Instead of taking a long time to figure out how to make it break automatically?

Not really, considering you're talking about several megs of text here. If it was a game with a relatively small script, then yes, time spent trying to perfect an auto lination program wouldn't be really worth it.
Soulfang
Is this loli?

Unread postby TheXev » August 19th, 2005, 1:22 am

Onscripter now word wraps on English 1 byte lines. The inserter simply puts the text as close to the Japanese line as possible (in small sections, not all at once). It will all have to be checked to make sure its okay, but other then that chendo has written a tool to do that much.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby replicated » August 19th, 2005, 8:23 am

Yeah, I wrote a patch (an extremely ugly hack at first, but Ogapee fixed it up, thank God) to do word-wrapping some time ago.

As for the insertion process, it was originally going to be inserted by hand, as we (well, I) didn't plan it properly so we didn't really have an easy way to insert it, as we stripped out the code for the translation and had to find a way to put it back in. But I figured I couldn't be screwed doing that, so I wrote a program in C++ that does it, although it still has a few bugs I need to fix up, but most of the problems are because the translation files themselves are a bit screwed up (user error).

Then we just concat the scripts together and pack it into a nscript.dat ( XOR x84, IIRC) and we're done. Apart from the menus (which are just images), which dmpk2k is editing.
replicated
the one who Taka is jealous of

Unread postby replicated » August 19th, 2005, 8:26 am

Message wrote:Putting the translated script back into the game's datafiles is usually done by creating a compiler/repacker, which is done by the group's programmers. For some games this is relatively simple, for others it can be a disaster (even more so for console games, where you often encounter a very tight maximum script size).

But compiling is often only half of the insertion process. Because Japanese games use dual-byte characters and don't worry about linebreaks at all...
Haeleth wrote:
Code: Select all
The designers of Japanese game engines take a rat
her relaxed line on text output.  They just arran
ge for characters to be printed one by one, and l
et the text wrap naturally whenever it runs out o
f space on a line.

...it can be very difficult to create a compiler that manages to word-wrap all sentences properly. Example: Bad, and good. See also this thread. Bear in mind that I only know what I've been told - I'm not a programmer and have no insertion experience whatsoever.

Those two screenshots were my first few attempts to hack automatic word-wrapping into ONScripter. Thanks to Ogapee, it works fine now :D
replicated
the one who Taka is jealous of

Unread postby Arturias » August 19th, 2005, 9:07 am

I've just noticed myself that Tsukihime's proof-reading has reached 100% heh. So that's good news...either that or it's just part of the pie chart fluctuating up and down for the last while =p
Arturias
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby DarkBlade- » August 19th, 2005, 9:38 am

lies, it is some un-known living digital virus that exists on the internet, it is hacking us like and axe slottering a forest! (ok that was bad)

indeed it has reached 100% :o
"hey...whats that beeping noise?" -Last words of a blood eagle scout
DarkBlade-
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby zoop » August 19th, 2005, 10:26 pm

That was very informative, thanks for the info.
zoop
Might just like this board

Unread postby Message » August 20th, 2005, 11:41 am

chendo wrote:Thanks to Ogapee, it works fine now :D

Good to hear! Then the end is finally approaching, after all?

Return to Tsukihime Chat