How is this VN?

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

How is this VN?

Unread postby Sepheriel » July 1st, 2008, 6:20 am

I just got into F/SN not too long ago and it's really good so I was wondering how good Tsukihime was? Any opinions or information would be welcome; no spoilers please.
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » July 1st, 2008, 6:41 am

Hmmm, well I've purposefully stayed away from information pertaining F/SN so as to not spoil any of the story (haven't even watched the anime) so I could'nt make a comparison between the two of them. Speaking only about Tsukihime, I would really recommend that VN to almost anyone who is wishing to read a good story, not only to Type-Moon fans. The starting setting is almost your average highschool fantasy but only at first sight, 17 year old boy, who has familial connections with a very wealthy and respected family, gets into very weird, life-threatening situations, but there is a lot much to it but I won't say or I could spoil some of the story :P. I don't consider myself much of a reader but the first time I "played" through it I found myself glued to the monitor for 5 or more hours straight just reading this stuff because I found it very interesting. You will find a good storyline and characters one can feel attached to (unlike the anime) and some nice CGs.

Don't expect flashy graphics and incredible music or you may find yourself disappointed. Take into account that Type-Moon made this game when they still were a fairly unknown group of doujin game devs (not professionals), but that doesn't mean that the artwork is ugly and the music is horrid, just don't expect F/SN quality in those two aspects.

Story-wise, I've found a LOT of people in this forum that say that Tsukihime's story is deeper and better than F/SN's, but I can't really affirm that for reasons already mentioned.

I don't think you will feel disappointed if you "play" Tsukihime, in fact, I'm pretty sure that you will want to go through KT and Plus+Disc just to get more Tsukihime stuff into your system! :wink:
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby ayadew » July 1st, 2008, 7:48 am

Let's just say everyone on this forum would kill stuff IRL for tsukihime 2.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » July 1st, 2008, 7:58 am

ayadew wrote:Let's just say everyone on this forum would kill stuff IRL for tsukihime 2.

Indeed! :twisted:
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby nobaka » July 1st, 2008, 9:22 am

ayadew wrote:Let's just say everyone on this forum would kill stuff IRL for tsukihime 2.

Said stuff would not be limited to people including, but not limited to, rulers of minor countries.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby miszou » July 1st, 2008, 9:48 am

personally I love the tsukihime story, its just closer to my liking than FSN, but I guess that's just personal and I like FSN also :3

Like abcess said, don't expect the same quality of the game in terms of graphics, CG's and the like, its older and its doujin. But hey, that's not what makes VN's great is it now ;) Tsukihime is shorter tho in total game time, although I recommend finding all bad ends, cause some are really worth it ^^

The characters are great and the stories too. tsukihime moved me more than FSN, but again that's just a matter of taste I think :3 although I think that the story's background is more richer and the story has more layers than FSN making it more interesting imho.
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Inverted » July 1st, 2008, 10:08 am

As a guy who got into Type-Moon through F/SN , I seriously recommend you to play Tsukihime .It uprooted F/SN as my favourite Type-Moon game. I liked the Tsukihime setting better.Though as others have pointed out don't expect much in terms of quality of CG's and music .
Inverted
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » July 1st, 2008, 4:37 pm

Same here, i got into this by knowing FSN, then i "played" Tsukihime and was blown away.

Now look at me. I'm a raging Tsukihime fanboy.

Go read that. NOW!
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Gadolinium » July 2nd, 2008, 12:23 am

I would totally recommend Tsukihime, i also got into it through F/SN. You can definitely tell its older do to the lack of pretty transitions and such, but its totally worth it. One of the best written stories I've ever read, plus Shiki>Shirou, at least in my opinion.
Gadolinium
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Cat Megex » July 2nd, 2008, 12:58 am

If you can handle bloody gory bits, then Tsukihime is a great read. (Note: there are no visual bloody gory bits; that stuff is all text.)
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Einherjar » July 2nd, 2008, 1:09 am

Definitely.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Miraploy » July 2nd, 2008, 2:33 am

Far superior to FSN.
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Gram49 » July 2nd, 2008, 3:02 am

Maybe u should watch the "anime" first if u want a taste of what the vn is going to be, and yea i think the storyline is better than fsn although fsn has more action and better cg.
Gram49
Addict

Unread postby abscess » July 2nd, 2008, 3:18 am

Gram49 wrote:Maybe u should watch the "anime" first if u want a taste of what the vn is going to be, and yea i think the storyline is better than fsn although fsn has more action and better cg.

I second that. Else, if you "play" Tsukihime first you will not be able to stomach Shingetsutan at all. I barely did and I watched before "playing" the game.
abscess

Unread postby Cat Megex » July 2nd, 2008, 4:13 am

abscess wrote:I second that. Else, if you "play" Tsukihime first you will not be able to stomach Shingetsutan at all. I barely did and I watched before "playing" the game.

...Rah! Stop being all (TakaJun-translation-of-?)Nasu-text and just type the words "play" and "playing" without quotation marks! (Note: in my case, I'm using quotation marks to actually mark the words in question and not just throwing them in semi-randomly.)

Also, I disagree with you on this. I played Tsukihime first, then watched the anime, and didn't mind the anime. Sure, it wasn't great, and it definitely could have been better (a few more episodes definitely would have helped), but it wasn't bad. Or at least not terrible.
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Miraploy » July 2nd, 2008, 4:23 am

Do either, I don't really think either one is preferable. But if you do play the game, I wouldn't say DON'T watch the anime, it's just that there's a lot less point. It would be like choosing to ride a scooter when you have a motorcycle.
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

Unread postby abscess » July 2nd, 2008, 4:44 am

Cat Megex wrote:
abscess wrote:I second that. Else, if you "play" Tsukihime first you will not be able to stomach Shingetsutan at all. I barely did and I watched before "playing" the game.

...Rah! Stop being all (TakaJun-translation-of-?)Nasu-text and just type the words "play" and "playing" without quotation marks! (Note: in my case, I'm using quotation marks to actually mark the words in question and not just throwing them in semi-randomly.)

Huuh...?? o_O
I only write those words (play and playing) with quotation marks to denote certain sarcasm or something the like, since you don't actually PLAY the game, just READ through the stuff with the very occasional need to choose something. When I talk about a game that you actually DO play in a more interactive manner (like fighting games or RPGs or whatever) I don't actually use quotation marks. I don't really understand why you mention TakaJun in all of this :? .

Cat Megex wrote:Also, I disagree with you on this. I played Tsukihime first, then watched the anime, and didn't mind the anime. Sure, it wasn't great, and it definitely could have been better (a few more episodes definitely would have helped), but it wasn't bad. Or at least not terrible.

Well, I wasn't able to do it. When I was..... *ahem*.... "playing" Tsukihime and watching Shingetsutan AT THE SAME TIME (well, not all of the time) since a TV channel was airing Shingetsutan, thus I was able to make a direct comparison with both stories and characters, found myself disappointed with the adaptation. I don't say that now I utterly dislike Shingetsutan and can NEVER watch it again, I just can't like it like the first time I saw it. Let me tell you that the first time I saw it I liked it a lot, but I disliked Shiki oh so very much that it almost convinced me of NOT liking Shingetsutan, for me it was a bitter-sweet experience. When I went through the original story I just couldn't understand what were the anime writers thinking when re-designing Shiki and almost all other characters.

The BERSERK anime adaptation IS lacking stuff from the manga, but it STILL is one of my favorite animes and I still am able to watch it and enjoy it even if I have watched it I-don't-know-how-many-times. Why? because those guys made a GOOD adaptation of the manga.
abscess

Unread postby marus » July 2nd, 2008, 4:55 am

abscess wrote:I only write those words (play and playing) with quotation marks to denote certain sarcasm or something the like, since you don't actually PLAY the game, just READ through the stuff with the very occasional need to choose something. When I talk about a game that you actually DO play in a more interactive manner (like fighting games or RPGs or whatever) I don't actually use quotation marks. I don't really understand why you mention TakaJun in all of this Confused .

Then just write 'read' instead of "play"...
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » July 2nd, 2008, 6:29 am

abscess wrote:I would really recommend that VN to almost anyone who is wishing to read a good story, not only to Type-Moon fans.

Inverted wrote:I seriously recommend you to play Tsukihime .It uprooted F/SN as my favourite Type-Moon game.

Atriel wrote:Go read that. NOW!

Gadolinium wrote:I would totally recommend Tsukihime... One of the best written stories I've ever read

Cat Megex wrote:If you can handle bloody gory bits, then Tsukihime is a great read. (Note: there are no visual bloody gory bits; that stuff is all text.)

>>Read it.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby zweiterversuch » July 2nd, 2008, 11:30 am

Or you could play Melty blood first then you can see the anime and at last you read Tsukihime.

That is what I did.
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Next

Return to Tsukihime Chat