How is this VN?

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby agesboy » July 2nd, 2008, 5:55 pm

I generally hate anime and yet I love Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night, the former a little more so than the latter. The length of the routes in Tsukihime is just right... I could start around noon and finish the arc before I went to sleep. And there are five of them with all of them being pretty damn different, so that's a huge plus. I'd venture to say I liked the last two storyline arcs in Tsukihime more than Ultimate Blade Works in F/SN, which is what made me get into Type-Moon so much.

That might change once Heaven's Feel is fully translated, though.
agesboy
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby handey » July 3rd, 2008, 11:00 pm

actually, quite a lot of dialogue between the routes in tsukihime is copy-and-pasted, the only difference often being a single line, a different choice at the end, or just belonging to another route (duh!), making it quite annoying, since you're never quite sure if you should just skip it or try to find some differences.
also, tsukihime really has four different scenarios, not five.
since hisui's route has been completely hijacked by kohaku (including an ero scene, how wrong is that?!). a shame, since hisui's been my favourite from the beginning till the end.
handey
Addict

Unread postby Miraploy » July 4th, 2008, 2:37 pm

handey wrote:actually, quite a lot of dialogue between the routes in tsukihime is copy-and-pasted, the only difference often being a single line, a different choice at the end, or just belonging to another route (duh!), making it quite annoying, since you're never quite sure if you should just skip it or try to find some differences.
also, tsukihime really has four different scenarios, not five.
since hisui's route has been completely hijacked by kohaku (including an ero scene, how wrong is that?!). a shame, since hisui's been my favourite from the beginning till the end.

That's why you should enable scene skip, it tells you when you've already seen a scene. The repeats are actually pretty infrequent, the routes are mostly unique. The worse one in terms of repeated content is Ciel's route, the first third of which is just Arc. But the rest are totally worth it though.

I don't get what you mean by Hisui's route, there's a lot of Kohaku in it, but it's still totally Hisui.
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ayadew » July 4th, 2008, 3:51 pm

I found Hisui to be one of the best, it's connected to Kohaku's sure, but she is another person...
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » July 4th, 2008, 4:33 pm

ayadew wrote:I found Hisui to be one of the best, it's connected to Kohaku's sure, but she is another person...

I DID like Hisui's route, mainly because Hisui is my favorite character (that or Kohaku, I can't really tell :P) but....
most of the time is spent with Shiki doing nothing in the bed. yeah, we do get interaction with characters, mainly Hisui since it's her route, but I would have liked it more if there was a little more interaction with the outside world, I dunno, perhaps Arihiko dropping by out of boredom or something.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby ayadew » July 4th, 2008, 5:10 pm

Hisui route
But what I find fascinating about the Hisui route is how Nasu can keep you interested for around 10 days where Shiki only lies in his bed. =p I don't remember exactly what happends in it though
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » July 4th, 2008, 5:19 pm

ayadew wrote:Hisui route
But what I find fascinating about the Hisui route is how Nasu can keep you interested for around 10 days where Shiki only lies in his bed. =p I don't remember exactly what happends in it though

Hmmm... I'm not too sure. I think it lacked certain "edge", for a lack of a better description, when compared with Akiha's Route. If my memory isn't playing trick on me, I think Hisui borrows some parts of Akiha's routes, maybe I see it that way because I went through Akiha's route first. The endings are the most memorable parts of the whole in Hisui's route in my opinion.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Inverted » July 5th, 2008, 4:40 am

Personally I thought Hisui route fitted Hisui perfectly . Her job is take care of Shiki and in her route he was completely bed ridden . Hence it was completely in her territory . It was also led to her H-scene which is the longest, if I remember right.
Inverted
Crack Desu!

Unread postby handey » July 6th, 2008, 6:05 pm

more hisui ranting
what really dissapointing in the route is that we find out almost nothing about hisui in the route, while we realize almost everything about kohaku, making the kohaku route purely emotional, since you learn nothing more from it. all we know about hisui is basically that she was the cheerful girl, but isn't anymore. yay, especially since i guessed it as soon as the hisui route started (i was like, hey, they've probably switched! after the "cheerful girl" choice). most conversations in the route are really about kohaku, same with endings ('cept very end of the good ending, like, 5 screens before the credits).
it's probably better than having no good ending, but i'm not a great fan of akiha. ;) besides, akiha is much deeper character than hisui.

inverted: which is still not that much, considering kohaku stole her first (if you don't count the dream in arc/ciel route) h-scene. ;)
handey
Addict

Unread postby Miraploy » July 7th, 2008, 12:54 am

handey, but none of the characters actually had that much meat to them either. What we found out about Hisui was fairly important, it's almost but not quite broad enough to construct a realistic person. This is true for all the girls. What does any other character has on Hisui? Curry? Pulleezz.
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ayadew » July 7th, 2008, 6:09 am

handey wrote:more hisui ranting
what really dissapointing in the route is that we find out almost nothing about hisui in the route, while we realize almost everything about kohaku, making the kohaku route purely emotional, since you learn nothing more from it. all we know about hisui is basically that she was the cheerful girl, but isn't anymore. yay, especially since i guessed it as soon as the hisui route started (i was like, hey, they've probably switched! after the "cheerful girl" choice). most conversations in the route are really about kohaku, same with endings ('cept very end of the good ending, like, 5 screens before the credits).
it's probably better than having no good ending, but i'm not a great fan of akiha. ;) besides, akiha is much deeper character than hisui.

inverted: which is still not that much, considering kohaku stole her first (if you don't count the dream in arc/ciel route) h-scene. ;)

Yes, I can agree with that... Kohaku's route wasn't that interesting due to Hisui's almost spoiling it all. But it's hard, the sisters are so closely linked. I don't think you could have made Hisui interesting without it, so it was either placing all the story on Hisui or Kohaku. And Kohaku has her... problems, so she isn't really a character Shiki can progress a lot of story with.
I thought it was good as a last route though, purely emotional, much different from the others.

The problem with Akiha is, although deeper, she is a much less interesting person (for me) =p
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Ryanbomber » July 7th, 2008, 6:57 am

Miraploy wrote:The repeats are actually pretty infrequent, the routes are mostly unique.

...A lot of the minor scenes were copy-pasted. That's actually something I'm hoping they fix in the remake, in addition to removing the ero stuff. go controversial opinions

Giving opinions on various points in no particular order.
The problem with Hisui's route is that she doesn't really have all that much backstory. Interesting character? Yeah. Interesting backstory? Not really, not enough ground to cover beyond the whole switch thing.
Kohaku's route kind of struck me as a little rushed. Only one ending, and I'm pretty sure it was shorter than most of the other routes. No idea why they packed all of Kohaku's plot into Hisui's route, though.
Akiha sucks. You heard me. go controversial opinions again
Ryanbomber
Might just like this board

Unread postby ayadew » July 7th, 2008, 8:21 am

Controversiality is what makes the world go forward
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby WingZero » July 7th, 2008, 6:47 pm

Somehow, I misread the thread title as "how is this a VN" and had already formulate half a dozen arguments before reading the OP's post.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Shirosaki » July 7th, 2008, 6:48 pm

ayadew wrote:
handey wrote:more hisui ranting

Yes, I can agree with that... Kohaku's route wasn't that interesting due to Hisui's almost spoiling it all. But it's hard, the sisters are so closely linked. I don't think you could have made Hisui interesting without it, so it was either placing all the story on Hisui or Kohaku. And Kohaku has her... problems, so she isn't really a character Shiki can progress a lot of story with.
I thought it was good as a last route though, purely emotional, much different from the others.

The problem with Akiha is, although deeper, she is a much less interesting person (for me) =p

You say that yet if she had a more firm body nearly half of every other fan would create a fanbase of akiha
Shirosaki
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ayadew » July 7th, 2008, 7:46 pm

I guess so.. but I have enough tsunderes IRL.
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby EvilDragon » July 7th, 2008, 9:00 pm

I was introduced to Type-Moon legacy via Shingetsutan Tsukihime. I liked the music most there. Then, I got Tsukihime, and god damn did it blow me away! Then I did Kagetsu Tohya and +disc, and then FSN. Tsukihime is better than FSN in my eyes, FSN is more eye-candy (Riderrrr *_*) that's all.
Angels of paradise, angels of sacrifice
Please let me be under your wings
Maybe we'll die tonight, maybe we'll see your bright
Is there a point in living this life?
EvilDragon
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby goforit1 » July 15th, 2008, 9:29 pm

ayadew wrote:Let's just say everyone on this forum would kill stuff IRL for tsukihime 2.

this.

WingZero wrote:Somehow, I misread the thread title as "how is this a VN" and had already formulate half a dozen arguments before reading the OP's post.

that was my first thought too. :X

----

Also, personally I enjoyed Hisui's and Kohaku's routes the MOST. I didn't watch the nonexistent anime first, so I was familiar with the first route, and I've actually never played Ciel's (because I hate her, can't stand being nice to her or talking to her in game). The 3 far side of the moon routes were what made Tsukihime so amazing for me. Akiha.... well I warmed up to her, but it was pretty weird most of the time. The last 2 routes though were just AMAZING. I was actually wondering how they could top the 1st and 3rd routes when I started Hisui's, and was pleasantly surprised from start to finish. :D
goforit1
Addict

Unread postby Atriel » July 16th, 2008, 12:35 am

Shirosaki wrote:You say that yet if she had a more firm body nearly half of every other fan would create a fanbase of akiha

You know, there are many Akiha fanboys out there. And to some of them, her body is perfectly good.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » July 16th, 2008, 1:49 am

Atriel wrote:
Shirosaki wrote:You say that yet if she had a more firm body nearly half of every other fan would create a fanbase of akiha

You know, there are many Akiha fanboys out there. And to some of them, her body is perfectly good.

Well I sure don't mind a good tsurupettan, and I'm sure lolipedofin doesn't either ^ ^.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

PreviousNext

Return to Tsukihime Chat