Altrouge Brunestud

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Altrouge Brunestud

Unread postby aallx » June 18th, 2008, 6:12 am

In which installment of Tsukihime does she appear? I only hear her get mentioned as Arcueid's sister in Tsukihime, and her name was only mentioned under Crimson Moon in Kagetsu Tohya, and yet I see a lot of doujins of her as a school teacher or something. I've played Tsukihime, Plus+Disk, Kagetsu Tohya, and Melty Blood, and I have yet to see a shadow of her hair. Where does she really appear?
aallx
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Inverted » June 18th, 2008, 6:21 am

She's hasn't appeared in any Type-Moon works yet.
Inverted
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » June 18th, 2008, 7:02 am

What seems odd to me is that, from what I know, Takeuchi hasn't even published an image of her but there are doujins that already have her character designed.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby -[J1N]- » June 18th, 2008, 4:02 pm

She appears in Kagetsu Tohya. If you've played it, you probably missed her then. If i remember correctly. to see her:

Choose to sleep in during school times in Arcueid's room, and you'll meet her in a 'dream'... Well, a dream in a dream in this case. I don't know of any other places you actually see her though.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby aallx » June 18th, 2008, 6:49 pm

-[J1N]- wrote:She appears in Kagetsu Tohya. If you've played it, you probably missed her then. If i remember correctly. to see her:

Choose to sleep in during school times in Arcueid's room, and you'll meet her in a 'dream'... Well, a dream in a dream in this case. I don't know of any other places you actually see her though.

I don't think that was the case...
The one you will meet in Arcueid's dream is not Altrouge, but instead Crimson Moon in the guise of Arcueid. Proof of this is when you read Crimson Moon, where Roa and Shiki will have a conversation with him/her. Besides, you cannot sleep in Arcueid's room during school time. The most that you can do is cook noodles for her.
aallx
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby abscess » June 18th, 2008, 7:38 pm

I never thought of her being Altrouge. I actually don't get why do you think that....
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby WingZero » June 18th, 2008, 7:59 pm

abscess and aallx are right. That's not Altrouge.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 18th, 2008, 10:00 pm

abscess wrote:What seems odd to me is that, from what I know, Takeuchi hasn't even published an image of her but there are doujins that already have her character designed.

...What seems odd to me is the fact that Altrouge's fanon appearance reminds me of Minami Chiaki. (I'm not really sure why, but I think it has something to do with the antenna.)
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » June 19th, 2008, 2:52 am

Ur serious? I really thought it was her >.>

Could someone explain who that is? I didn't really get that thing about Crimson Moon aallx was saying. Hmm, maybe I got some info horribly mixed up.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » June 19th, 2008, 3:25 am

Seriously? You don't know about Crimson Moon?

Well:
(LARGE WALL OF TEXT AHEAD)
When you first dream about Crimson Moon in Arcueid's room, you KNOW it's Crimson Moon because, and I quote from the text:

If I close my eyes again, can I maybe meet that Arcueid once more?
If I do get that lucky, I want to, even though my neck might be on the line for doing it, try to make that strong princess smile.

And so I fall asleep.
If I wake up, it'll be a normal morning again.
But before that...
I dream once again with her.

And then it says CRIMSON MOON side story unlocked. That last line is indicative of the Arcueid look-alike being Crimson Moon, as it directly connects this game scene to the sidestory.

As for Crimson Moon itself, the side story is about Roa talking with Crimson Moon. The story itself is pretty non-sensical if you have not read the Tsukihime "prologue" thing that came with the cd (and I don't mean the prologue of the game itself mm translated).

The sidestory can be taken to be canonical, although it's not clear whether the occurence itself is a recollection on Roa's part, or a dream on Shiki's part (Parallel Universe?), or both. (It seems to be largely based on Roa's memories though)

It doesn't explain anything too concrete, the sidestory, but it's quite an interesting read for those who already had the backstory on Crimson Moon. Based on what I can remember from the prologue (some information from the sidestory might get mixed in here. I've had them intangibly compressed together in my head for a long time now)
- Gaia realized humanity was a threat, wanted help
- Crimson Moon (aka "Type-Moon") answered the call and offered Gaia help
- Crimson Moon came to Earth
- His/Her (gender never specified) goal was not actually to help Earth, but to establish a kingdom/world of his/her own on Earth (Side-story in KT mentions that both Gaia and Alaya recognized him as a threat)
- Crimson Moon tried to kill off all life
- This involved dropping the moon onto Earth
- Zelretch fought the Crimson Moon, who underestimated the power of "magic", and defeated him/her.
- Zelretch proceeds to push the moon back into orbit before it crashes
- Crimson Moon did not "die", because right before he did, he left behind a reality marble that spawned True Ancestors-copies of himself/herself
- Each True Ancestor carries the ability to manifest into the Crimson Moon (they're like vessels for him/her)
- However, none of the TAs created were perfect, therefore he/she could not manifest in any of them
- Altrouge and Arcueid were the two TAs closest to being "perfect"

Having said all that, the whole "chains" thing in the side-story is likely Arcueid chaining herself up to prevent or hinder CM if manifestation occurs.

Take what I've said with a grain of salt. My memory's a little fuzzy.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » June 19th, 2008, 3:46 am

Wait.... Zelretch "pushed" the moon away to stop it from colliding with the Earth???... I didn't know that one! How the hell did he manage to put it exactly in the same orbit it had before? How does humanity never knew that or were even aware of weird stuff happening to the moon??? Anyway... hurray for Zelretch's magial physics-raping powers!!! or whatever it's called...

Say, where can I read this "prologue" thing you mentioned? translated I mean, 'cuz I can't read japanese at all....
Last edited by abscess on June 20th, 2008, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
abscess

Unread postby aallx » June 19th, 2008, 9:53 am

Yes, yes, I as well am rather curious as to where I might find this so called prologue. It seems very odd to me that mirror moon would not translate this critical back-story of Tsukihime, and if they had, then guidance to wherever this may be would be well appreciated. And if not, then would you be so kind as to provide us with it, if possible, and in return, we would gladly shower you with our most humble appreciation.

By the way, is this prologue a soft copy embedded into one of Tsukihime's later re-releases? Or is it on some CD cover or something? I would really, really like to have a copy of it.
aallx
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Cat Megex » June 19th, 2008, 12:24 pm

aallx wrote:Yes, yes, I as well am rather curious as to where I might find this so called prologue. It seems very odd to me that mirror moon would not translate this critical back-story of Tsukihime, and if they had, then guidance to wherever this may be would be well appreciated. And if not, then would you be so kind as to provide us with it, if possible, and in return, we would gladly shower you with our most humble appreciation.

By the way, is this prologue a soft copy embedded into one of Tsukihime's later re-releases? Or is it on some CD cover or something? I would really, really like to have a copy of it.

Quoted for agreement.
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » June 19th, 2008, 3:05 pm

What I meant by prologue was THIS:

-Link temporarily removed-

(I removed the link because I don't know if this is in violation of the rules. Despite being a Youtube video.)

Anyways, to clarify, the "prologue" I was talking about is the Shingetsutan Tsukihime Artbook History & Prologue. Not the prologue to the game.
(This was aired as a SPECIAL to the anime. If you use ANIDB, you'll see it listed as T2 - Artbook History & Prologue)

The video is approximately 9 minutes long. A quick search on youtube, veoh, or google will land you in the right spot; although the quality is HORRID and you can BARELY make out the words. There used to be a high quality video on Stage6, but well, Stage6 is gone.

*edit* Oh, also, some of what I mentioned in my previous post may have come from Char. Mat. Exams have killed my brainpower so I can't really tell what was from Char. Mat and what was from prologue/CM sidestory. But anyways.

***EDIT 2***: Use Veoh. The text is clear and VERY READABLE on Veoh.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mazyrian » June 19th, 2008, 3:31 pm

A pdf is also available; you can maybe find in google, or else try searching for and old version of Kagetsu Tohya patch (I think it was 0.1), which came with it
"I am the spider that set this web.
-Welcome to this wonderful killing chamber."
Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Undream » June 20th, 2008, 3:32 am

you can read the tsukihime prologue in youtube..
just search for it..
with the same exact words... ;p am not putting a link, since they might say its a rule violation >.>

you might find it hard to read though...
"...One must wait continuously, one must pursue endlessly.
They must realize that it was impossible to succeed yet
at the same time be capable of enduring patiently.
Is that... the story of a dream that shouldn't be waited upon?..."
Last Episode
Undream
Crack Addic!

Unread postby aallx » June 20th, 2008, 7:30 am

Could someone clarify this for me please?

Tsukihime Artbook History & Prologue is an anime special, a part of Shingetsutan Tsukihime, whose contents are taken from an official artbook released by Type-Moon. Is this correct? And, is the source material the Tsukihime Dokuhon Plus Period? If not, is there a source material or is it original content for the anime that came directly from Type-Moon?

Mazyrian wrote:A pdf is also available; you can maybe find in google, or else try searching for and old version of Kagetsu Tohya patch (I think it was 0.1), which came with it

About this pdf format, is this clips taken from the Artbook video, then compiled into a pdf file, or is it scans of an actual artbook different from the video?
And what exactly did came with the Kagetsu Tohya 0.1 patch? A video embedded within the installer? A pdf file? A hard copy? Would you be so kind enough to specify that for me please.

The videos are a bit hard to read on video streaming sites, image quality is very poor. It'd be nice if could find a A-E|A-K sub, too bad its licensed. Music kept reminding me of bed scenes >.<

The other half seems like a trailer for the anime. Made me remember how I tried watching the anime once after playing the game. After seeing Arcueid flee like a sissy from a knife-wielding Shiki, I immediately stopped watching. If Shiki really did try attacking Arcueid with a knife out in the open, she would have obliterated him in an instant.
aallx
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby abscess » June 20th, 2008, 10:34 am

aallx wrote:Made me remember how I tried watching the anime once after playing the game. After seeing Arcueid flee like a sissy from a knife-wielding Shiki, I immediately stopped watching. If Shiki really did try attacking Arcueid with a knife out in the open, she would have obliterated him in an instant.

Yes.... most of us feel your pain....
I can hardly swallow this series now after getting the real story. I could barely do it even when I didn't know of the VN's existence!. I still can't understand why a friend of mine is so stubborn in not wanting to read the real thing just because it has H content when he was the one that convinced me to watch that thing to begin with!.... Anyway. Back on topic:

About the prologue. I found a video with good enough quality where you can read the text without any problem in Veoh (and this is from someone who wears glasses). As it has been said, I can't post a link or I'll get banhammered, and I really don't want that :P (I didn't know that video was licensed until it was mentioned here). I just typed on the search box "tsukihime prologue" and it's the first link that appears, it's quite easy to recognize because there is an image of a bloody Arcueid. The first BMG is straight from the VN, which is a little nostalgic for me :)

As for the PDFs and such, I really have no idea. I only know of this video that I read recently, though I knew of it quite a while ago (years, I think) but I was never able to finish reading it because I was always attacked by an incredible laziness! hahaha!

P.S: If by some reason you don't know what Veoh is, it's a video-streaming site, but it tends to have better quality vids when compared to youtube.
P.S2: Does someone know what's the second song used as a BMG in that video? I only have the first one.
P.S3: For the ones that already read it.
It's kind of interesting to note that the video reffers to CrimsonMoon as "the king" and a "he" rather than a "she" or some kind of an asexual being. Problems with the translation, perhaps?
Just as a side note:
Altrouge is never mentioned in this prologue!
abscess

Unread postby aallx » June 20th, 2008, 12:20 pm

abscess wrote:Yes.... most of us feel your pain....
I can hardly swallow this series now after getting the real story. I could barely do it even when I didn't know of the VN's existence!. I still can't understand why a friend of mine is so stubborn in not wanting to read the real thing just because it has H content when he was the one that convinced me to watch that thing to begin with!.... Anyway. Back on topic:
I also can't get over the fact that Satsuki and Inui seems like they were best friends or something...
seeing that the main reason Satsuki hasn't spoken to Shiki in over two years even though she liked him is because she was afraid of Inui in the first place. Heck, she probably couldn't even stand breathing the same air with him.

P.S2: Does someone know what's the second song used as a BMG in that video? I only have the first one.
From what I've heard, the second music is something from the Shingetsutan Tsukihime's OST, though I'm not quite sure about the validity of that information.

I can't access Veoh, seems like I'm being blocked. I've only manage to read up to the third page. Texts from the scene where a young Arcueid is standing in a garden with a man (is that Zelretch?) is completely illegible to me. If any one knows of a streaming site with a better quality than youtube, kindly notify me please.

And yeah, I just confirmed it. First half of the Tsukihime Artbook History & Prologue was definitely taken from five/six pages of the Tsukihime Dokuhon Plus Period. The artbook is really nice, with lots of character info and probably all of the character sprites used in the game. I really must have a copy of this thing. Too bad it's all in Japanese, but meh, whatever. Anyone has an idea where this can be bought at a cheap price?
aallx
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby WingZero » June 20th, 2008, 5:28 pm

@abscess:

As someone with intensive knowledge of Chinese and more-than-minimal knowledge with Japanese and as a fellow translator:

Both the aforementioned languages can have fully functional and grammatically correct sentences without including a specific subject (i.e. subject is "assumed"). English, however, (as with most Western languages that I know of) lack this ability (Less than 5% of English sentences are considered "correct" if you don't include a subject) (Obviously, the numerical data I just gave was pulled out of my head, but just try constructing a paragraph without using subjects in the sentences, you'll see what I mean)

So, during translation, the translator(s) have to put in the assumed subject/pronoun. In this case: It wasn't ever specified in the original (actually i don't know if it is for the anime prologue. But I recall it not being mentioned in the Char. Mat) what sex Crimson Moon IS. But, seeing as it was mentioned as "the King", I'd assume any translator would go by logic and put "he" as opposed to "she" (and, as proven by the case in Fate Stay Night, "king" doesn't really have any clear implications on sex in the Nasuverse)

This is not a "mistake" on the translator's part, there's just no other way around it.

@aallx:
I believe that "young arcueid standing in the garden with a man" would be Roa as the man.

And uh... Veoh is the best quality out there, I think, now that Stage6 went poof.

Since the anime itself is licensed, vids of it probably shouldn't be posted here. As for the non-copyrighted translation of copyrighted text - I have no idea what that falls under but it's close to what fan-translations of visual novels are anyways, so it would be very hypocritical for that to be against the rules.

Then again, I don't imagine the webhost would care either way if it's against established rules, so I won't type out the text from the video (which shouldn't be too hard a task) for the benefit of the forum.

As for the PDF, I've never come across it, never heard of it, don't know anything about it (but I will attempt to look for it).

*edit*

Sorry, skimming is a bad habit of mine. I missed some stuff:

Sucks that you're blocked from Veoh, aallx. Also, I'd try Yahoo!J Auctions for that plus period. They appear there once in a blue moon, although you're probably going to require a proxy service to actually make the purchase due to most of these sales being "do not ship internationally".

(Don't ask me for details on this, I have a friend that goes back to Japan once a year so I've never actually needed to use proxy services to purchase stuff, so I don't know how it works.)
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Next

Return to Tsukihime Chat