The name of Shiki's knife

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

The name of Shiki's knife

Unread postby -[J1N]- » December 21st, 2007, 8:20 am

I've played through Tsukihime with mirror moon's translations, and the translated name is "Seven Nights", which was pronounced "Nanatsu-Yoru". However, in the KT translations, it was pronounced in a different way.

Is there a general vagueness in translating something like this, or is the KT's translations inaccurate? (i DID find a large amount of typos/errors in their ones).

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, in one scene they even said it wrote "Nanaya" on it
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Re: The name of Shiki's knife

Unread postby Message » December 21st, 2007, 9:57 am

The knife reads 七つ夜, which reads as nanatsuya or nanatsuyoru. Yoru is the more straightforward way to read it, though. The name Nanaya itself is written as 七夜.

Unread postby Blue Gunner » December 21st, 2007, 12:00 pm

The meanings are basically the same. "Tsu" is a counter, that's all. But it's a name, so how it's read is important, I guess.
Improve your vocab and feed people in need: http://www.freerice.com
Blue Gunner
Addict

Unread postby Superflonic » January 10th, 2008, 4:38 pm

I wonder about it too, does this knife have any specific meaning?
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Enerccio » January 10th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Superflonic wrote:I wonder about it too, does this knife have any specific meaning?

you can open beer with it
that's probably all
Enerccio
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mukuro » January 10th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Superflonic wrote:I wonder about it too, does this knife have any specific meaning?

Probably just a knife from the Nanayas, nothing more. A good knife with its own history. It might also helped the activation to Shiki's Nanaya mode...
Mukuro
Addict

Unread postby -[J1N]- » January 11th, 2008, 2:25 am

The knife apparently does have its own powers, but I never got around to know what it did exactly. Does it have a specific meaning? I really don't know. Probably just a hand-me-down present?
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby serialies » January 11th, 2008, 3:25 am

afaik...just a very well made and sturdy knife...
I order the club sandwich all the time, but I'm not even a member. Man, I don't know how I get away with it.
serialies
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Naota » January 11th, 2008, 7:22 am

When I first played Tsukihime, I was utterly convinced that Kohaku (or indirectly, Makihisa) had given him a knife intended to make him murder things, either with an influence of its own, or by twisting Shiki's intentions. I was almost completely mistaken, but now that I think about it, simply having a weapon in hand does end up influencing Shiki.
Were it not for that knife, he wouldn't have been able to cut up Arcueid, or kill Satsuki in the later routes. Just the presence of a weapon is a big part of it.

I don't recall anything mentioning any peculiar or unnatural traits to the knife in Tsukihime, Melty Blood, or Kagetsu Tohya. It's just his signature weapon, which is made remarkable by his own abilities. What I do wonder is who made it originally, and who for?
We know Nanaya Kiri didn't use a knife, so what's the significance of this particular blade? Why go through the effort of presumably taking it from the Nanaya clan leaving it to Shiki. If Makihisa had somehow wanted him to be influenced by having a knife, any one would do.
Last edited by Naota on January 12th, 2008, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They marched onwards, fire against earth, bodies piling ever higher for the whims of rival demons, content in their game. The masses never questioned their intent nor knew their masters, serving Hell more than Heaven in their madness. For madness went unchallenged here, and the great machine of many faces, skins, and thoughts continued to turn in silence."
Naota
Crack Addic!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » January 12th, 2008, 4:52 am

I remember reading that the knife had a particular power, and some people saying that wouldn't it be easier to fire a harpoon (or a bomb that shoots wires) into an enemy, rather than having to run up to them. As long as it's connected, Shiki can use his eyes of death perception to end the lives of objects on contact right? There were lots of discussion about it, but they were all theories though.
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Naota » January 12th, 2008, 7:10 am

Hmm, I've never heard any of the games mention it as anything other than a common (but effective) knife.
He's cut the lines on objects with other objects before, like in the very beginning when he used a pen to 'kill' his bed, if memory serves. As for the actual act of severing the lines, it would be logical to assume the object in question has to be physically connected to him, and propelled by his own body to work. I'm not sure about a harpoon since it's not physically propelled by Shiki, but perhaps if he tied his knife to a rope and swung/threw it, it might have the same properties.
"They marched onwards, fire against earth, bodies piling ever higher for the whims of rival demons, content in their game. The masses never questioned their intent nor knew their masters, serving Hell more than Heaven in their madness. For madness went unchallenged here, and the great machine of many faces, skins, and thoughts continued to turn in silence."
Naota
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Message » January 12th, 2008, 12:21 pm

Actually he used a random fruit knife for that:
` It seems as if I could reach farther down with something narrower, so I trace the line with a fruit knife that was lying on the bedside table.\

Unread postby WingZero » January 12th, 2008, 5:37 pm

^^

ONoez spoilers ;P

IIRC, Shiki's knife was passed down the Nanaya family to the heads of family. Kiri just opted not to use it.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Superflonic » January 15th, 2008, 9:00 pm

-[J1N]- wrote:The knife apparently does have its own powers, but I never got around to know what it did exactly. Does it have a specific meaning? I really don't know. Probably just a hand-me-down present?

I wonder.
'Here son, you may have not seen me for the past 8 years, and I don't know much about you, but I'll give you this knife for no apparent reason.
Maybe you'll find out you have superpowers, and make use of this knife.'

WingZero wrote:^^

ONoez spoilers ;P

IIRC, Shiki's knife was passed down the Nanaya family to the heads of family. Kiri just opted not to use it.

K...Kiri?
Eugh, if this is in Tsukihime, I really need to read it again, because I think I completely missed the Nanaya Kiri part. Sigh.
(Or, of course, this is in Kagetsu Tohya, which I don't posses).
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby WingZero » January 15th, 2008, 9:01 pm

It was definitely not in Tsukihime.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » January 16th, 2008, 12:41 am

I think he WAS mentioned just once in Tsukihime.... Or maybe not. You'll heard more about him if you play Kagetsu Tohya.
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby WingZero » January 16th, 2008, 1:34 am

Nanaya Kiri was not mentioned in Tsukihime. Not directly by name, in any case.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Superflonic » January 16th, 2008, 1:42 pm

WingZero wrote:Nanaya Kiri was not mentioned in Tsukihime. Not directly by name, in any case.

Ah, thanks.
I was already feeling left out :)
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby zweiterversuch » February 10th, 2008, 11:37 pm

Superflonic wrote:
WingZero wrote:Nanaya Kiri was not mentioned in Tsukihime. Not directly by name, in any case.

Ah, thanks.
I was already feeling left out :)

wait... the knife doesn't have any powers?
but I thought it was unbreakable. I mean he has cut even a corridor with it and it didn't broke.
and I thought the Knife was the standart killing weapon of the Nanayas since the knife was aside the stone and the club the first and most basical weapon.
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby Mukuro » February 11th, 2008, 7:58 am

AFAIK no it's just an ordinary knife (a good one at that). Heck, he can even use a needle if he wants to and the result will be the same. It's just a heirloom from the Nanayas, it doesn't mean that all Nanayas used it.
Mukuro
Addict

Next

Return to Tsukihime Chat